General Hospital Watching General Hospital

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Daniel Avery, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    If, indeed, they graft another twin storyline onto the already-moribund Jason/Drew saga, I may have to stop watching. :re:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    Interestingly enough, since Genie Francis departed the show I have seen her diet commercial several times during GH :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    "So glad Brad has returned to Port Charles!"

...said no GH fan ever. :D:re::lol:

4. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    IKR? They've abandoned Brad/Lucas to such a degree that I assumed they had left town. I wonder if the 'mystery mother' is in fact Nelle, pulling another con. She will lead Lucas and Brad on, saying she intends to give the baby up for adoption. Once Michael finds out (she'll "let it slip") she will demand that he either step up (i.e. marry her) or she will give the baby up for adoption, knowing he will agree to marry her. Then Brad and Lucas will be heartbroken over having the baby waved in front of them only to have it taken away...and we won't see them again for six months or so.

There was no reason to dig up the past friendship of Brad and Carly as they did in that scene. Yes, he's her brother-in-law (it took me several minutes to even remember that!) but they would not be inventing a story for Brad and Lucas unless it serviced other characters (namely Carly vs. Nelle). The current regime has no interest in writing for Brad/Lucas (or a host of other recurring players), so it has to be in service to some other characters--and I doubt Maxie has any plans to give her baby away.

Heck, in addition to Brad, we got to see Epiphany. It's like someone left the door to the Forgotten Characters Closet unlocked and a few escaped.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    Could we please put Aunt Stella in that closet? Thanks in advance. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I know they are trying to promote this animosity between Kiki and Ava for the sake of a non-existent triangle with Griffin, but it really isn't working. Kiki was supposedly upset with Ava because she (Ava) forced Sonny to give her a day with Avery? Ava supposedly has primary custody, yet they act as if Sonny and Carly are her parents and Ava did...something...that makes her unfit to even visit her child, much less spend time with her. Kiki ought to be happy for her mom. They ignore the idea that Kiki knows Ava loves the little offscreen baby. Since when does Kiki think Ava is the villain for wanting to see her baby?

Also unrealistic: Greg Evigan might be fifteen years older than Roger Howarth in real life, but he doesn't look more than about ten. With good lighting, they could look the same age (esp. if Howarth lets himself go without washing his hair, etc. like he does occasionally). These scenes where they're making Franco act like some frightened child being menaced by an older adult...spare me. Evigan just looks too good for his age, and the character ought to be older--like closer to 70, not mid-50s (while Evigan is 64, he looks mid-50s).

Felix escaped from the Forgotten Characters Closet in time for the Liz/Franco wedding, which was nice. He even mentioned poor forgotten Sabrina. But would he be offended if we said he was in the closet all this time? Fellow escapee Cameron is still stuck at 12 years old while all his contemporaries are out in the world of adulthood. But at least he got loose, which is more than can be said for his two brothers and "Grandma".

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    Agree. Can't Ava have another blood relative as an ally? It seems like Julian is the only other person in town (aside from Monica and Ned, of course) who isn't carrying Sonny's water. And it really doesn't help, either, that they are trying to promote (?) a thing between Kiki and James DePaiva.

Poor casting, unless they just pulled that story out of thin air. In no way does he look old enough to have been a father figure to Franco. Billy Miller, sure. But Roger Howarth has been in soap land for over twenty years.

The young actor who plays Cameron is cursed with the gift of being articulate, whereas Jake and Aiden are monosyllabic at best. :lol: It's kind of depressing that Liz, whose roots stretch back to the Hardy era, can't have anyone but Forgotten Characters at her non-wedding.

8. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    I wish they could have gotten Ron Hale to reprise the role of Mike Corbin, this would make more of a real connection to the storyline with Sonny.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Ron Hale retired from acting and actually made something of a big deal about it, giving interviews at the time saying he was going to retreat to a farm/ranch he owned. Like many actors who were part of the "glory years" of the 1980s (when budgets were huge), he seemed disillusioned by how soaps began cutting back and not valuing their veterans.

I recall when GH had Ilene Kristen appearing as Delia from Ryan's Hope (as Ava's long-lost mother), there was a scene where Delia saw a photo of Ron Hale in Sonny's house. It was supposed to be a photo of Sonny's dad, Mike. Delia was rightfully confused, asking why Sonny had a picture of her husband Roger Coleridge in his house. They wrote an interruption into the scene to keep the question from ever being answered, but I thought it was a cute in-joke they dropped in to "shout out" to Hale.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    :D The show as currently written has pretty much abandoned its sense of humor.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    That Ron Carlivati sense of (absurd) humor was what drew me to GH after OLTL was cancelled. I sense that if I were ever to head-write a soap, it would have the exact same feel. I am willing to suspend disbelief more than the average viewer if it's done cleverly, and I like being "in on the joke" the way he let viewers in on it when he threw in the more absurd plot elements. Even if the story is ridiculous, if it's written as if "Yeah, I know it's stupid, but here's some gags and a few in-jokes to keep you from feeling insulted," then I'm forgiving.

Current GH is basically humorless, except certain scriptwriters who drop occasional jokes into that day's episode. The over-arching plot direction doesn't have that "flair" that it had when Carlivati understood entertaining the audience is more important than following a playbook of plot clichés.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    Same. I enjoy humor that can veer into camp--especially if it's clever, though not necessarily OTT. There are so many clichés now that it's like they are writing the show out of a SOAP WRITING FOR DUMMIES handbook.

13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Remember the "Mad Libs" books? Bingo.

I'm not as violently anti-Peter August as they are in other online venues, but I have to say he has clichéd plot device written all over him. It's just disappointing that they would pin so much onto a new character, as if the four dozen characters already on the canvas don't have enough going for them to generate good plotlines. They did this same thing when Valentin showed up, and now he's background filler like his wife Nina.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Cliff Barnes

Cliff Barnes Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I was very impressed with the earthquake episodes this week. Haven't really watched in awhile but i tuned in for that.

15. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    It is too much, too soon. Like, he has to be connected to everyone in a myriad of ways, all the while replacing Nathan in Maxie's life.

16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    THAT is what might make me hate him, though, not only because I really liked Nathan...but because it's too soon. At least wait until after she's had the baby!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    They haven't even taken him out of the opening credits! :rip::fp::eck:

18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    The conventional wisdom is that only "contract" actors can appear in the opening credits of soaps. The design of the GH opening (which, I might add, I've ALWAYS hated) makes it necessary to have groupings of characters involved in each other's stories, so they'd have to replace the image of Ryan Paevey with someone on contract and somehow linked to Kirsten Storms (who is in that section of the opening). I'm thinking/hoping Wes Ramsey is not on contract, if not just to keep him from ending up in yet another place RP belongs. :re: The best option would likely be to place KS in an image with Emme Rylan and Dominic Zamprogna's Lulu and Dante.

In some cases, actors are written out well before their contract ends...forcing the show to keep the image of the actor in the opening credits until the contract actually ends. This might be why Paevey's gorgeous mug is still in the credits. This is why Teri Austin stayed in the Knots Landing credits long after her character was killed off, causing some viewers to wonder if she was going to be 'resurrected' or have a twin sister show up or something.

Watching yesterday, I'm beginning to think that Franco and/or Drew were molested in that basement by Jim back when they were kids. It would explain why Drew didn't want to talk about his childhood when Kim knew him before. It would explain why Betsy refuses to level with anyone about why she sent Drew away and lied about his existence for so long. It would explain why Franco is so determined not to remember anything that happened in that basement, and (wait for it...) why Franco became such a warped individual even before the infamous tumor developed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    Either that or we're going to find out Jim is Betsy post-operatively. :fp: :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,319
    How very dull the show is lately. Like, Nelle conspiring against Carly is hardly the stuff of intrigue.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)