General Hospital Watching General Hospital

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Daniel Avery, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Yeah, and this is what the Emmy judges will be seeing when they tune in to get a better grasp of Laura Wright and Chloe Lanier's day-to-day acting is like. Talk about box-office poison.

News flash, writers: in order to have a good gas-lighting story, you have to have a likeable, rootable "victim". Most of us would love to see Carly driven insane and carted off to Ferncliff to hang out with Heather Webber. But this doesn't mean we will root for Nelle, since no one likes her that much, either. Though I'm glad Michael isn't so easily sucked back in by her, I hate this idea that HE has to move out of the Q mansion simply because he doesn't want to be around her. I doubt Monica would choose to have Nelle in the house over her grandson. Monica could (should) tell Michael to stay, and pay rent on an apartment for Nelle if necessary. I know Carly would never let Nelle stay in "her" hotel, unless Nelle's room was in the basement next to the boiler.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Ah, timing is everything. Well, timing and a good public image.

So GH is busy celebrating their 55th anniversary. They broadcast an episode chock full of references to the past, including flashback clips. A large number of the veteran actors interact and celebrate the show. GH even has Kin Shriner (Scotty Baldwin) host a "live chat" online during the episode to answer questions and interact directly with fans.

Then GH fires him.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,360
    I have to admit that due to illness I have been out of the loop recently--as in, sleeping through the soap hours most days. I missed the big anniversaries for both GH and Y&R, though something told me I probably wouldn't miss much in either case.

4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I missed them too, and had no valid excuse other than...apathy.

I'm not hearing anything about a Nurses Ball, so they might not even be doing that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    I would be happy if there is no Nurses Ball because the last ones were boring and the performances were not that great.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Not to mention the "threadbare" look of the last few. The directors made no effort to hide the fact that the "audience" consisted of about three tables of actors and extras (the same number of warm bodies in an average restaurant scene), and the venue--supposedly the ballroom at the MetroCourt--seems to shrink every year. There just isn't enough money in the budget to do it justice, so I'd just let it rest. Of course the NB is the only excuse they have to give Lynn Herring her ten episodes per year, so Lucy Coe will just have to go the route of Laura Collins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Looks like I spoke too soon.

https://www.tvinsider.com/683777/general-hospital-nurses-ball-2018-nick-viall/

I was faked out by how early they celebrated the anniversary. It used to be that the NB occurred shortly after the show's anniversary, but this year it's apparently six weeks after that anniversary episode we ignored in droves. And not only are they doing that cockamamie "red carpet arrival" stuff, they got a C-list celebrity to host it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,360
    Of course the last time I watched part of an episode, I realized that Sonny, Carly, and Jasamdrew all need to be sent to Cassadine Island for about six months. Like, seriously backburner them and use the rest of the cast for a change!

9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I'd actually prefer they were sent to Hawaii...and they all fall into the active volcano. Except maybe Drew...he could probably be a viable character once all those others were out of the way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,360
    "My name is Kelly Monaco, and I vow to sleepwalk through every scene involving Jason and/or Steve Burton."

Only because of Billy Miller, who has more or less been wasted the entire time he's been in Port Chuck. Then again, the show is wasting everyone right now, except Obrect.

11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    The only "suspenseful" part of this: is she doing it because she really doesn't have the ability to rise above the material, or is she fully able to--but dislikes the current direction of her storyline so much that she is letting it shine through on screen?

Wave bye-bye to Dominic Zamprogna--he tweeted that he's already taped his last scenes. I can't blame him, since his "scenes" usually consist of holding Lulu's purse as she runs off to screw up someone else's life or get them killed, all in the name of "getting a story", then having to listen to her justify her actions. I have not heard whether they will recast Dante or if he'll just 'drift away' the way some recurring characters do (hello, Scotty? Valerie? Alice? Bueller?), but I'm not sure recasting will solve anything. It will be the same thankless role. Killing Dante off seems unlikely, since the recent...um, y'know :oops: with Nathan, and they're still wallowing in the death of Morgan despite it all. Also, DZ didn't make a big thing about his 'final scenes'. My dream plot (though highly unlikely) would have him and Lulu pack up their son and leave town, but like I've said numerous times, I can't have nice things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,360
    She seemed fine with Michael Easton, and Billy Miller, and that other guy...Jason Thompson.

I noticed in a recent scene between the two of them a whole lot of frostiness, like Emme Rylan was forcing herself to pretend Lulu actually loved her husband. Perhaps they'll recast him with Bryan Craig. :lol:

Completely unrelated, but...

Yesterday morning my sleeping brain conjured a dream of GUIDING LIGHT. Either I was having trouble digesting my cereal, or my subconscious really wanted to see Ross, Holly, Roger, Alex, Billy and Vanessa again. Now if only I could remember what happened to Bridget's baby...

13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I had a trip in the wayback machine the other day, as well, only mine was an episode of Another World from exactly thirty years before that I stumbled across on youtube. I started watching it and realized this 1988 episode (June 14 or 15, I forget) was actually something of a milestone: it was an episode shortly after Sharlene returned to town, where she met John and everyone met Josie. Rachel dropped by and had a semi-uncomfortable, catching-up scene with Sharlene (whom she had not seen in many years).
    The episode was also heavy with Cass and Nicole so happy and in love. The only drawback was that I was forced to sit through some FauxDonna/Michael scenes, so there was some indigestion involved here, as well. I recall there was a Writers Strike sometime around then, so I wasn't even watching AW at its best and it was...well, so much better than anything today.

I realized I had never seen this episode--why? It was only then that I remembered I'd gone on a package tour of Europe for most of June 1988 (a graduation present from my parents) and had missed a large chunk of the show. My God--30 years ago!! :eek::eck::eek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,360
    I heart John and Sharlene, even if they didn't end up together. And I still miss Cass and Frankie. And Felicia's wild outfits. Oops, we've hijacked the GH thread. Phelps would be (so) proud. LOL

c0b0c1d1ef1515f6f7aad83936966565.jpg

15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    Ever since the AW thread wrapped up (Canon ran out of tapes!), I've been feeling bereft. I still hold out hope (probably a waste of time) that they hire Stephen Schnetzer (Cass) to play Jeff Webber (see what I did there?) if they really decide to explore this who rift Liz has with her family. It was weird how they did not have Jeff visit to meet his long-lost (and now lost once again) daughter Hayden/Rachel last year. They could even have Alice Barrett-Mitchell play Liz's mother. Heck, why not play against expectations and have the Webbers return played by SS and Anna Stuart?

They'd have to scrape me off the ceiling with a spatula.:D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,360
    They would have to show some willingness to actually give Liz a storyline in order to explain the rift or, heck, even cast some new parents for her.

17. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    It doesn't even have to be a full-fledged storyline. Jeff might just show up for the wedding, and the supposed "rift" between Liz and her family could be addressed in a half-dozen scenes in two or three episodes. Giving Becky Herbst something like this to sink her teeth into would be great Emmy bait. Lord knows she deserves to be recognized by her consistently good work over 20 years. I'm not sure they even need to address her mother, since we've never even heard her name, much less seen her. The audience has no attachment to her outside of who she's related to. Jeff can also interact with Monica (as if), and of course there's that whole oddball situation where Jeff's daughter is marrying the son of his ex-wife, Heather.

18. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,360
    Maybe she's afraid to ask for too much, lest she meet the same fate as Tyler Christopher.

This would probably be too classic/logical and fly right over the writer's heads.

19. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I used to get such a kick out of Heather's occasional references to Jeff, talking about how clever he was and how handy he could be with making things by using basic stuff around the house, etc. I often wondered if the in-joke reference to RDA was scripted or if Robin Mattson ad-libbed them.

Nah, they usually don't fire you until after you win the Emmy. Ask TC and Jason Thompson. Or you get handed absolute dreck to play, like When Maura West won her Emmy and was promptly turned into Denise DeMuccio.

20. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,360
    Given her reputation for murder and mayhem in Soapland, I can't believe I'm about to say this--but GH is creatively bankrupt since Passanante took her "I HATE P&G" coffee mug home and retired. And Dante's exit was so rushed the children weren't even there. :lol:

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 5)