General Hospital Watching General Hospital

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Dalek Avery, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    So NotKevin has finally killed...

2. Dalek Avery

Dalek Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    I wasn't watching back when Ryan was on his original killing spree. Did he always do it with such "flair"? I mean, Mary Pat's head in the apple-bobbing barrel was deliciously evil/scary (on Halloween), and "the rest of her" at Ava's gallery was a twist I did not see coming. Anyone can just go around bumping people off, but setting up those freaky situations takes a Special Level of Crazy. I guess framing Carly for the crime was the best course of action, since everyone knew how much she hated Mary Pat (and Ava, the recipient of the "rest of her"), and if Carly's busy trying to prove she isn't a killer, she won't be snooping around Ferncliff.

The main thing bothering me at the moment, though, is whether Ryan's interest in Ava is that of someone looking for a new obsession, or that of someone seeing a kindred spirit, or perhaps just someone he could frame for his crimes later on. He certainly wants to know more.

I'm not one to give the writers much credit, but they really did deliver when they were tasked with creating a "really good story to bring back Genie Francis". It might be Lindstrom's storyline, but she's getting really good stuff to play and doing what I like to see her do.

3. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    I wasn't watching either but I am glad he didn't kill off someone in the main cast. He's sniffing around Ava a little too much to just have a casual interest in her.

Perhaps he will visit Ferncliff and kill off Nelle!

4. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    I have a suspicion that this fake Sasha chick ain't long for this world. Which doesn't bother me in the slightest.

5. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    But will Nina find out the truth beforehand?

6. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    Depends on whether Hayley Erin is really leaving the show (as has been rumored). If she does, then they might decide not to pursue the long-rumored story of making Kiki into Nina's LLC (long-lost child), and let Nina believe that Sasha is/was the LLC if she dies. If HE stays, they'll reveal Sasha is a fake and try to play Kiki as the LLC at some point. That of course hinges on whether they decide to kill off Kiki. I mean, the way Ryan has been drooling over Ava, who knows what is going on in that freak's head?

If Charlotte is the one bullying Aiden at school, Laura will be in another awkward spot since she is grandmother to both kids! But hey, anything that gives Laura more screen time will give Sonny/Carly/Jason less time, so win-win.

Is the timing right for Hayden to be the "anonymous mother" of the baby that Brad and Lucas adopted (the one who died)? Alexis knows who the mother is, and Finn is in a support group with Alexis. If he mentions the 'loss' of his baby with Hayden during the group meeting, would she tell him the truth?

7. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    Too many plot points to consider! I would rather see Kiki stick around and become a doctor, but only if they can cleave her away from Griffin.

8. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    Too many plot points to consider! I would rather see Kiki stick around and become a doctor, but only if they can cleave her away from Griffin.

9. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    I got the impression that they never planned to make Kiki/Griffin a permanent thing. The writers are just unable to come up with a viable storyline/purpose for Griffin, a situation that Matt Cohen/Griffin has found himself in for over a year now. His pairing with Ava was also an attempt for them to give him something to do. Though I liked Griffin/Ava overall, I understood that as long as she was attached to him, they would not be able to write "fun, naughty" Ava with any sort of freedom. Hooking up the boring guy with the bad girl is a soap staple, but the unions never last. Griffin's been in town long enough by now that it is not necessary to "attach" him to another cast member to give him a story--he could be the main doctor for the show with no outside life (simply seen interacting with patients).

10. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    If he's unattached, he'll fall into story limbo like that randomly-appearing and disappearing Valerie (who I don't miss when she's off canvas)

11. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    But as far as I know, Matt Cohen (Griffin) is on contract, while Brytni Sarpi (Valerie) is recurring...VERY recurring. I had assumed she was no longer with the show until she popped up recently. At any rate, being on contract means he is guaranteed a certain number of appearances, so they are sort of obligated to come up with something for him to do. I suppose they could pair him with Valerie and get her some additional screen time....? They're both so pretty...but both are also pretty boring. :D

12. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    Well, I guess I got what I asked for--Griffin is definitely going to be front and center now that NotKevin has framed him for murder.

13. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    He'd better work on finding another expression other than that pained look at the end of yesterday's show. He looked like someone had given him a wedgie.

14. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I started watching again with the November episodes via Hulu and I'm enjoying the show. Y&R is a nightmare and DAYS has good moments but feels dull to me so I needed another US soap. I know GH isn't well received, but I've enjoyed what I've seen. B&B of course has the best production values, but I think GH looks great which is amazing considering they have a low budget. I like the variety in sets I've seen and that they don't look like shoe boxes. Y&R is #1 and even there they're shrinking down many of their sets. I also found the lighting to be good and the actors look gorgeous. Since Y&R is my main soap it's jarring to see the characters actually dressed nice and having their hair brushed. I know something like that seems minor, but in comparison they're doing a good job on the production front.

The one thing I'm not crazy about are the storylines. I feel they lack momentum. They have a good, diverse cast and I like that you have characters of all ages, but most of these stories lack momentum. I feel like Ryan's story is the only one grabbing me, but only if they follow up with other high profile victims and the canvas starts to act like there's a serial killer on the loose. Oscar's story is falling flat for me because I don't care about him yet. I wish they'd given the illness to Cameron who the audience has more of a relationship with.

All in all though, I've enjoyed what I'm seeing so I'm going to keep watching. It's a breeze getting through these episodes. While the storylines lack momentum, the scripts are excellent and I'm enjoying seeing my favorite characters again. It's especially nice seeing Jon Lindstrom since Port Charles was the first soap I fell in love with. I wish Lucy was around for this! It's so odd seeing "Kevin" with Laura (who I've never liked). Since I watched PC before GH I view Kevin and Lucy as soulmates and my end game couple so that is taking some getting used to for me.

15. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    It's kind of unfortunate that they HAVE to exclude Lucy from this story at this stage. She, maybe even more than Laura, would be quick to recognize this is NOT Kevin in front of her, and the writers want to keep the masquerade going as long as possible. I can imagine they would bring her in when/if they're ready to move the plot into that next phase (when people figure out it's Ryan) so she can join in on the 'unmasking'.

I was originally not too keen on this 'Charlotte is bullying Aiden' story, but I like how it is bringing together so many disparate characters who (up to now) had very little to do. It's even bringing in a new character (Willow, their teacher) for a story with Michael (who has even less to do). I'm thinking she is the mother of the baby that Lucas and Brad originally adopted (the one who died, though she would not know this), since that's the sort of incredible coincidence that soaps always cook up.

16. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    If Nina doesn't stop interrupting every time Valentin and Lulu try to parent, I am going to scream.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    With Mac and Felicia on this week, they've used up their allotment of recurring characters for the moment. :lol:

18. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    I didn't get to watch much (just Thursday), so is Ryan still acting obsessed with Felicia, or has he completely transferred his 'affections' to Ava?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,418
    The latter. Felicia is completely out of the Ryan story, it seems.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,617
    It might switch directions any time, but at the moment it looks like Ryan is trying to make Carly look like a multiple murderer. Yay!

Mary Pat: everybody knew she hated the woman
    Kiki: because she blamed Ava for Morgan's death, and now Ava knows what it's like to lose a child too

If Ryan wanted to continue this trend, he could next turn the knife on Margaux, since Carly is convinced Margaux is trying to seduce Sonny (and she probably is).

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)