1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

General Hospital Watching General Hospital

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Daniel Avery, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Medals:
    Margaux is the most interesting thing to happen to Sonny and Carly in years.

2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    Carly's latest scenes with Jason reveal that she doesn't have an ounce of trust in her own husband. "Oh, poor Sonny! He can't stay away from the 'damsels in distress' and he'll end up hopping in bed with her, since he has no self-control or loyalty to his wedding vows. He can't help it...he's powerless and can't resist."

If the current writers wanted to drop a bomb into the chicken coop, why not break them up for real, then have Carly decide to take up with Jason (you know she's just dying to jump on that). Sam will be left out in the cold because her 'back-up guy,' Drew is no longer interested in her (for fear she will dump him again when/if Jason becomes available). Margaux, of course, is not a long-term anything for Sonny, so he will have to stew in his own juice as Jason and Carly make up for lost time by having wild monkey sex all the time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    So Ryan kills Mary Pat on Halloween. He then kills Kiki on Thanksgiving. Now he's killed the documentary-producer guy on New Year's. I guess he was too busy to off someone on Christmas, since shrinks tend to be booked solid around Christmastime. I wonder who he has in mind for Valentine's Day.

(Unless he's uber-politically correct and offers "equal opportunity serial killing" for Martin Luther King Day...)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Medals:
    Yes, yes, yes.

5. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Medals:
    Ms. Tait? No, I guess he doesn't really know her.

6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    Willow (Ms. Tait) seems to be a 'stealth' character introduction. Usually, when they introduce a new character, they hit us over the head with them and have them immediately eating up tons of screen time (think: Peter August, Margaux). Instead, they're doing a really good job of easing her into the cast and making her character important to several plots at once without making us sick to death of her. I've been seeing several new names mixed in the list of writers lately when I get the chance to watch, so this different approach has to be their doing. As they slowly ease her into the lives of the PC residents, we see she has a lot of back-story left to discover, even as we've figured out some of it. I like how, as one question is answered, another question takes its place. When we found out Willow was the 'secret mother' in Lucas and Brad's adoption, we then felt bad, knowing that she believes Wylie is her son, when in fact her son died and was switched by Nelle. She believes that if she gets closer to Michael (who only believes himself to be Wylie's godfather) that she can be closer to her baby, even as she attends grief therapy with Michael to get over giving up the baby. She's endured all this pain (some of which we haven't really gotten to know--is there some extra layer(s) to this other than the typical decision to give up for adoption?) and we know there's more pain to come. Her place as Aiden and Charlotte's teacher was a smart move, as well, because they needed a professional to act as objective mediator in this bullying story to counteract the overbearing personalities of the several of the parental figures involved.

Best part? So far, they haven't made her another illegitimate Sonny spawn. :ms:

7. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Medals:
    Yes, so far they are doing a good job with her character. Hopefully she won't, you know, get so enamored of Michael that she becomes a deranged stalker.

8. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Medals:
    Gail's tribute episode was insulting. She got maybe five minutes out of the entire episode.

9. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Medals:
    With these writers, you were lucky to get that!

Speaking of writing, Oscar's story has given the show some much needed gravitas this week.

10. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    In the midst of all the other talk during Thursday's episode, Monica stated that Gail's will was going to be read soon, and that there was some kind of "weird stipulation" in it. The writers obviously decided to use this as an excuse to introduce some new plot point. We'll just have to wait and see, though I can only guess it would be something concerning the characters closest to Gail--in this case, Scott and Monica. Neither character gets much screen time, but maybe this will be a chance to remedy that.

Saw the new opening sequence yesterday also--am disappoint. :re: It looks like something they'd use for a mid-hour bumper, not the opening titles!

11. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Medals:
    Perhaps the mental health story will lead to Ferncliff, where poor Kevin remains trapped.

I like that it rotates the characters around based on who you might see that day, but it's definitely not for those with epilepsy!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Medals:
    Well, it finally happened. JaSam got back together :re:

13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    ...and under a slime-coated rock somewhere, Jill Farren Phelps heaved a sigh of relief. Or maybe it was gas...who knows.

14. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Medals:
    Nah, she doesn't breathe or expel oxygen. More like toxic something or other.

I'm not sure why Aiden liking to bake makes him gay. Has no one ever heard of Emeril or Bobby Flay?

15. ChrisSumner

ChrisSumner Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +254
    I just finished the episode where Lulu was found stabbed and Ryan lost his vision. I can’t get over how underwhelming that was. Lulu is the child of two hugely popular characters that we’ve grown up with and yet I felt nothing. It feels like this is the climax of the story yet there is still no momentum to it. Max, Felicia and Lucy have been underused and even Ava hasn’t been properly used since Kiki died to set the scene for her showdown with Ryan when she finds out.

I wish they had choreographed a dramatic “death” scene for Lulu and then when she was laying on the floor dying I wish the cast hadn’t acted like someone farted. There was no dramatic tension at all and these are people related to her! It’s just insane. I feel they could’ve kept Ryan going for longer and have him kill off a few more characters before reaching the end game.

Since I started watching GH again I notice they do this often. They have many stories that could have big dramatic stakes, but everything stays at such a steady tone. It’s very odd. I feel the cast is good but the writing is so bland it doesn’t give them much to work with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    The sad part is that the writing (such as it is) has improved markedly in the past three months. The Ryan umbrella plot is going well, though like you said they have fallen short on some of the best twists. Laura Webber is back in the center of action where she ought to be, and they're not injecting Sonny into every plotline, every day.

I guess we're supposed to believe that if Jason was known as "Patient 6" at the clinic where he was held, then Patients 1-5 were Anna, Alex, Kevin, Ryan, and Drew. How coincidental for this "twins brain mapping" experiment to be conducted in Russia while using three sets of adult twins from a small town in upstate New York, including one twin that was assumed dead for twenty years, and another whom no one knew existed until two years ago? (I said it was "improved," not that it was "good")

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Medals:
    Poor Franco, framed for every crime in Port Charles. Now if someone had framed Jason, that would be a storyline.

18. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    Jason is two-dimensional enough to be framed, that's for sure.

Why are all the characters (especially the savvier ones like Sam and Alexis) so afraid to use the word "cult"? You know they have to be thinking it, yet for some reason they're tip-toeing around calling it what it is as they nibble around the edges. Is it now un-PC to use that word?

19. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Medals:
    Maybe the idea is that if the characters don't say it, the audience won't think it. Which really isn't working. Soap fans know a cult when they see one.

20. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,505
    Medals:
    The actor playing Shiloh (lord I hate that name) has that charismatic cult-leader type vibe....but even he can't get me to feel anything for Kristina.

I know Griffin is a character with no story, but I was so relieved Ryan didn't kill him. Anna's constant chanting of "Justice for Duke" from 2013-14 would have to be replaced with "Justice for Griffin" for the next year or so, and no one wants that.

They're saying they lured Ingo Rademacher back for another appearance as Jax (no word on how long this visit will be). Too bad Jax could not be the father of Carly's baby! I know they won't do it, but it would be funny seeing everyone around her saying "Baby?!? Aren't you a bit old to be getting pregnant?"

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)