General Hospital Watching General Hospital

Discussion in 'US Soaps Forum' started by Daniel Avery, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    I'm trying to find out if this twist is to accommodate vacation time for Maura West. Nine times out of ten, when a character gets such extensive injuries, it's to "write around" a vacation. The tenth time is for a recast :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
  3. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    I still think Sam needs to have an affair, though I'm sure it would turn into a woman-bashing story of the highest order for the sainted Jason. That's actually what I thought was going to happen during that bizarre spa scene where Sam kept getting more and more tense on Wednesday or Thursday. I missed Friday's episode so can't speak to anything that happened then...

4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    I agree...if Sam were to do anything remotely disloyal to Saint Jaysus, she'd be pilloried like...well, like Liz Webber was for so long.

I'm seriously beginning to feel as if Jason/Sam is being purposely back-burnered to make it easier to write them off. I don't think the show would be impacted much by their departure, and I'm sure both of them could get work in primetime.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    Billy Miller has done quite a bit of primetime work, as well as a small role in AMERICAN SNIPER, so perhaps they're writing around an outside project of his. One hopes they wouldn't leave Monica childless. Again.

6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Horror of horrors:

Rumor has it that Steve Burton is coming back to GH. As if having one robotic Jason wasn't enough...now it looks like we'll have two. I'm game to see how they explain the height differential between the two, if nothing else. I'm also smirking a bit, remembering how Sam behaved back when BM's "Jake" was revealed to be Jason with amnesia. She had all that dialogue about how she was inexplicably drawn to "Jake" before even knowing he was Jason, because of their undeniable link of everlasting love that transcended every obstacle and was the greatest love that ever loved, etc. Does she just say "oopsy!" and rush into Burton's arms?

The only consolation prize is hearing that Rebecca Budig got fired, likely to free up money for their hiring of SB. Hayden never really "worked," despite so much effort, including making her a Webber (!!). They will hopefully ship off Finn with her. I'm guessing at least one other actor with a large salary will have to go to accommodate SB's return.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +576
    SB returning ??? now this show just gets more ridiculous and I see that annoying child (Nicholas's son) is back on screen if Nicholas or/and Morgan resurface I am done watching for sure!!!

8. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    The show seems even more rudderless than usual lately. It doesn't help that they've banished their best character to the burn unit. Listening to everyone sanctify Morgan is tiresome...he was an entitled, whiny brat just like his sister Kristina.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Morgan is not the first character to have this happen to him. Characters with little to no purpose while "alive" suddenly generate tons of emoting (scenery-chewing) and plotlines with him at the center. It's as if the character is more valuable dead than it was when it was alive. "Justice for Duke," anyone?

I watched most of Thursday's show, which included Josslyn announcing she wants to move to Australia to live with her father (rather than have to deal with the eightieth reunion of CarSon) and I have to say...the girl playing Joss did pretty good work. Too often, in these scenes where Sonny is talked about negatively, the actors don't "sell" their character's anger adequately (I'm guessing the directors instruct them not to play it with sincerity, as if they're "torn" in their feelings about Saint Sonny even as they denounce him). But this girl made me believe she really meant it when she said she wanted "out" of the whole thing. If Josslyn gets her way and Carly lets her move to Australia, it would be priceless if she pointed out that Carly's obsession with Sonny has cost her yet another child. "Two down, one to go..." she could quip, pointing to Michael.

I've said it elsewhere and I guess it bears repeating here: if SB returns as the original version of Jason (robotic, murderous puppet of Sonny's), then I will be officially done with GH. Not because I like Billy Miller's wishy-washy Jason, but because I'm already repelled by Sonny/Carly, and reuniting the triumvirate that put GH on the chopping block in 2011 with even MORE screen time is not something I want to watch.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    Yes, Josslyn appears to be the viewer's voice at this point. Or at least for this particular viewer. Jason and Sam are already dull-as-dirt to watch. I can't even imagine how incredibly sleepy the show would become with SB returning to the TV's most boring threesome. Rinse, wash, repeat.:re:

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
  11. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    If it were my show, SB would return as AJ Quartermaine, ready to kill Sonny (and he'd actually succeed at it, since it's my dream, after all). They used to look a lot alike...
    upload_2017-7-3_16-37-8.png

The irony, of course, is that Billy Miller would be a much better recast for AJ.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    Yes, they were well-cast as brothers. Until GH turned into a bloodbath for CarSon and Jason-bot. :rolleyes: A bit like Suge Knight and Puff Daddy turning 90s R&B music into a bloodbath. Art imitates life?

We should be so lucky to have Sonny murdered. Unfortunately it looks like Burton's "return" is causing major behind the scenes upheaval, with Budig being the first casualty and DeVry potentially being the second. At least it looks like Nathan and Maxie will be reunited despite the messiness elsewhere.

13. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    I read about DeVry's contract negotiations "breaking down", and frankly I think Julian should have been written out long ago. Framing your wife for your crimes and then trying to filet her with a dagger in front of police is not exactly helpful to your character's longevity. I kept wondering why they were trying to keep Julian around--to help Ava? To get murdered? (That would have been a nice plotline) But he's just been marking time, and despite the vocal "Julian/Alexis" fans out there, the writers knew they would get criticized if they put those two back together (after the whole "trying to kill her" thing). I say let him go, because there does not seem to be pending stories for him.

(On a purely shallow level, I have to add that even I got tired of the show coming up with excuses to have DeVry strutting around in his black underwear, acting all full of himself. I'm hoping that was acting on DeVry's part and not how he actually behaves IRL.)

I saw a blurb somewhere that questioned whether Dominic Zamprogna (Dante) would renew his contract. He's been on the show a long time, but they give him virtually nothing to do other than carry Sonny's water and/or Lulu's purse. They could very easily send D&L out of town when Rylan goes on maternity leave again, and Rylan could return with a "new" Dante, or perhaps they could just decide to take their kids and move somewhere else.

I keep hearing people suggest that the show ought to write out Maxie and Nathan, since their stories have basically been in neutral for months. While the "business" side of my brain sees their point, the "show" part of my brain wants to keep them because despite Kirsten Storms's issues, she remains popular and the show needs to keep as many veterans as they can while they trim the cast. Besides, there would be major griping from her fans if her firing was construed as being a result of her recent illness(es). And unlike DeVry, I could watch Paevey in his underwear all day.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    I don't know...they lost the plot where Dante was concerned when he cheated with Valerie and they subsequently teamed up to tell Lulu how the entire thing was her fault. Now he seems to be nothing more than Sonny's official mouthpiece, telling everyone else how bad they are while ignoring his father's litany of crimes.

Eliminating Nathan and Maxie would sound the death knell for romance on GH permanently. :(

• Like Like x 1
  15. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Until you mentioned her, I had completely forgotten Valerie existed. Yet another character whose exit would not really change the show at all, since they haven't been writing for her in ages. In that group: Valerie, Lucas, Kristina, Epiphany....there are probably others I've forgotten...

16. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Jax being "unable" to host his daughter in Australia ("traveling on business," they say) only encourages my suspicious hunch that he's actually nursing Morgan back to health down under, and didn't want Josslyn around to discover the truth.

Have they really written out my beloved Bitch Goddess Dr. Obrecht? I read that she was arrested for tampering with Dr. Finn's drug tests, but given the myriad of heinous crimes she's committed (and gotten away with) over the decades, I find it hard to believe she could end up being sent up the river for something so...pedestrian. If she can break Faison out of a Supermax prison, I'd like to think she could escape the PC police station and go on the lam. If this really is it for Kathleen Gati, I am pretty sure Ron Carlivati at Days would snap her up in an instant, since he was the one who took a day-player role and turned her into the thrill ride she became.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,014
    Hmmm, maybe she could be a recast Vivian Alamain on Days. :D There aren't many that I would think could fill in for Louise Sorel, but Gati might be one.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,198
    I like this idea, but only if A) he returns as a different actor, B) Jax cures him of his bipolar the way Monica cured A.J. of his injuries :D, and C) it doesn't mess with Dillon and Kiki.

I'm not overly sure because I have missed more than a few episodes recently due to vacation and doctor visits. Other times I lose interest and visit another room to do household tasks. :lol:

But would Vivian have a purpose without Carly or Phillip in town? Or Nicholas :D

19. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    The old "Casting Wars," between GH and Y&R, started when JFP ran Y&R, and resulted in over half a dozen actors switching between the two shows. It was interesting to watch, for sure, but the war seemed to end when JFP was sent packing. Will it now be Casting Wars 2.0 between GH and Days?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Oh, I'd never hire Bryan Craig again. Give me some credit. :) In fact, I would hire an actor with a prosthetic leg or arm, something that would allow the show to explore a seldom-told story of a soap character with a permanent disability, not the typical "temporary paralysis/blindness" stuff. Morgan's bipolar disorder would be under control, but he'd have a lot of issues with his being disabled due to Sonny and Julian's vendetta.

It was never explored to my satisfaction, but the reason AJ recovered from his injuries was because Monica sent him to that same clinic where we met Dr. Obrecht. They made it seem as if she ran the place, so in essence Dr. Obrecht was responsible for AJ's recovery. I'm guessing they never explored that aspect because they wanted Dr. O to be seen as this diabolical villain running a sinister clinic where Robin was being held captive...and didn't want anyone to be grateful to Dr. O for anything. I thought it was a missed opportunity, because the Monica/Dr. O rivalry became a "thing" after Dr. O became Chief of Staff--and no one even mentioned how Monica owed Dr. Obrecht a huge debt of gratitude for helping AJ recover. Now that he's dead and Dr. O's apparently on her way out, too :( it will likely never be explored.

Neither will they be able to explore the mystery of who Nathan's real father is, since that appears to be a secret Dr. O will never willingly reveal to anyone. The only other person who knows is Madeline, and I doubt they will bring Donna Mills back now that Steve Burton has maxed out GH's credit card.

• Like Like x 1

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)