Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    I'm just about to go in for the Season One finale!!

It's one of my more watched episodes, appearing as it does on the official DVDs. But this is probably only the second time I've watched it in context, having watched every episode leading up to it. I'm quite excited.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:
    I know what you mean. Sometimes I'm glad I've got some household chores and gardening to do - but I've been ignoring my daily exercises for too long now.
    Of course I knew I'd like it because I've already seen the whole series, but I had not anticipated that it would be this addictive.
    If you think you need help now then I dread the day we're going to watch the finale episode. Is there life after Sons & Daughters?:yikey:
    Yeah, that funny name. I assumed it was Dominique and they just couldn't bother to pronounce the "que".

Off-topic: eventhough S&D looks cheaper than the US soaps, it's probably the only soap with a real reception in a real (office) building.
    It's always annoyed me that Denver-Carrington and Ewing Oil didn't have a proper entrance (maybe Dallas did in its first seasons?)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    Susan and Lynn are heaven sent. At least I can get some dusting and cleaning done while they're onscreen.

Ditto, Willie. Ditto.

Nope. Just cold turkey.

[​IMG]

According to the closing credits, the "actress" is named Domine in real life, which is cute. And probably far less confusing for her.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    A few non-spoilerish thoughts of #174:

• Seeing most of the main cast assembled in one place for a family occasion is mind-blowing when you think how tenuous the connections were at the beginning. It's even more eye opening than the wedding episodes, because it's a more informal affair. And because in screen time it's exactly a year to the day of the opening episode.
    • We may be overrun with bitch slaps in the Soapland Battles at the moment, but I'm struggling to think of too many pimp slaps. So S&D kind of wins that battle by default.
    • The series must've been doing well at this point for BMW to want some blatant product placement. Not just everyone fawning over the car (which I kind of crave) but the logo everywhere in the showroom. And that number plate - just in case nobody realises it's a BMW.
    Well, that's Season One over for me. Now I'm going to take a well-deserved break.*

* Until this evening. :oops:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:
    I saw that.

Btw, how do you do these binges when you have a spouse/partner around? Or does he happen to be a hunky trucker?:hide:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    Oh - one more thing. The props bods must've had great fun with the placement of balloons for the party. Some of them look rather rude.

Is this a hypothetical question, or have you got a Wayne keeping tabs on me?

If this isn't on a t-shirt somewhere, it needs to be.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:
    :D
    Well you did mention it in the Last Album Bought thread, and it's not unusual for partners to have different hobbies - but in this particular case I'd say something like
    "honey, I'm not getting the attention I deserve!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:
    Barbara returns in semi-art deco fashion while Patricia is slumming it in that dreary, depressing Melbourne mansion.
    Lynn discovers that staying home and having kids is not as peachy as she thought it would be. She was really smitten with the new curtains I think Beryl should have hung them and do away with those yellow rags.

9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:
    That was a beautiful season finale, but I'm also confused about how I feel.
    Patricia's scheme backfired and now she has to deal with the consequences. Reap what you have sown, as they say.
    However, the way David bullies her doesn't make him look much better, especially when his criticism seems unwarranted e.g. Lynn's job.
    Then she drops the bombshell but I'm not sure if she meant to use it as ammunition because we see her walk away in tears. Incidentally, I don't even remember if what she said is true.
    If it's true then she's created an even bigger mess for John and Angela, if it's not then it was an act of vindictiveness.
    Either way, it looks like both David and Patricia have lost the most in this story, and all because of that fateful affair at Woombai.
    Although the gloominess of the room, emphasized by a single light, hints at the idea that something bad is going to happen.
    upload_2019-7-21_4-22-28.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:

Six episodes into the second season it feels as though change is in the air. It was evident right from the first millisecond of the new year, with the slightly different (thinner) font used for the "Seven Network Presents" title. Incidentally, I don't think we've spoken about that little preface, but isn't it perfect for creating a little anticipatory excitement and bringing a slightly cinematic quality to the series? Something seems slightly different about the music, too, but I can't place what.

Most heartening is that Ann Henderson-Stiers is no longer in the opening titles, replaced by Noel Hodda. This has had the happy side effect of making Susan's scenes more tolerable. The suggestion that she is no longer a series regular has given me a little added sympathy for her. Just a little, mind you. And this is good, because she's shared some fairly important scenes with Patricia, therefore foiling the usual tuning out/pottering round/fast forwarding I do for Susan. And of course, Rowena Wallace in full hysterical flight has somehow elevated AHS's* performance simply by virtue of her being in shot at the same time. She's still got that monotone, punctuation-less delivery very reminiscent of a performing sat nav, but seems so awed at (or overpowered by) Wallace's performance that her being there is not the turn off it should be.

Speaking of delivery that lacks punctuation: bless Brian Blain's cotton socks, but he speaks so rapidly half his dialogue seems to end up trapped in his moustache. This means there are times when I have no idea what's going on for the poor man. No wonder he's so misunderstood. He's still a favourite of mine, though.

There aren't any dramatically different haircuts as Willie hoped, but in true new season style there are mysterious new names being bandied about. In fact as I leave off, John is moments away from meeting an Important New Character.

It all bodes well for an exciting new year of drama and developments for the Aussie jet set.

*What appropriate initials for the Australian Horror Story.

It has the feel of a lair to me. Which is perfect for Patricia at the moment. Rattling round like a wounded big cat with occasional visits from her henchmen, sidekicks and personal medics.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:
    Well, to me, she never felt as important as the other characters, but I appreciate her for having her own, sometimes unpopular opinion and for being somewhat unpredictable, rather than being the Palmers' yes-man.
    If her role hadn't been reduced to making coffee/answering the phone/giving advice nobody cares about then I could see her as S&D's "Diana Fairgate".
    Heck, until now I hadn't even made the connection between Bill and Chip.
    But fast fowarding? Tut-tut, Mel O'Drama:lol:
    Patricia had a more curly hairdo in one of the Ramberg scenes, 15 or 20 episodes ago. I didn't really like it.
    As for Beryl, I think she only visits the hairdresser to catch up on the local gossip, even if it isn't her own locale.
    Yes, and when you visit you better keep an eye on the doorway for it might mysteriously disappear and have you trapped in a set designer's nightmare.
    But it looks characteristic for Patricia's state of mind, which makes me wonder if Barbara's living room - too bright and sterile - is supposed to represent her flawless and optimistic character.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    It seems ironic that interactions happening in the early stages of Season Two are quite important for her character... at least with the benefit of being familiar with later episodes. Suddenly I'm finding her scenes interesting from this perspective.

I kind of know what you mean about Diana Fairgate. She's got that big sister thing going on. But Susan here is far too sensible to be interesting. She's a bit like Neighbours' Julie Robinson, but without the spoilt bitchiness.

Neither had I, Willie.

Well, to be fair that drastic measure only happened in scenes focussing on Susan and Lynn together. A man only has so much goodwill.

Yes, Patricia's hair needs to be like the lady herself. Blunt, spiky and a little brittle. Just as Beryl's matronly round soft do tells us all we need to know.

I'm enjoying the Eighties-ness of Barbara's beige modular sofa with the glass coffee table in the corner and arms only at the furthest edges, but it looks a bit precarious.

There are four "chair" parts which make up the two "sofas", with nothing attaching them. I recall a scene during Season One in which someone sat on the floor beside it, leant on it to get up and the two halves of one of the sofas came apart. I've noticed Barbara sometimes chooses to sit in the middle of one of the sofas, in the split part between the two chairs that make it up. I can't help worrying that they'll separate and she'll fall down the middle. It adds a certain amount of tension to scenes in her living room.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:
    # 179

The beginning of season 2 doesn't hold back, to say the least. It's been quite an emotional roller coaster and there's never a standstill.
    My favourite scene was Jill's tearful farewell when she moved out, it was almost too real.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pat McDonald is such a powerhouse, she wouldn't waste a millisecond of a scene.
    So happy when she said to Paul what I've been thinking for quite a while now "you're always complaining about something", and so he returned to Dural with a brand new attitude and a big smile on his face.
    And Rosie can like it or lump it!
    The S&D channel also has two music playlists: variations on the intro theme and "incidental music".
    Hmm, wasn't Patricia involved with a man before she met Stephen Morell? I think he was blond going bald?
    I had hoped Jill would give Plan C to Patricia, would have been great for a cat-stroking villainous day.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:
    When oh when is Paul going to take a swim in the Hamilton pool? He keeps teasing us with his velvety voice and Prince Charming smile, but I think it's time to show a bit more.
    Barbara's grieving daughter returns home, the plotting couldn't be more obvious, but she strikes me as a capable actress so I expect a few good scenes.
    Can't wait to see the back of Gail, she's a cartoon without character - and she can take that dog with her. I must say it's always funny when she gives Paul the evil eye, especially because melodramatic Paul hates to be disliked.

Aha! One of SoapLand's infamous soap sisters has arrived, I know she's not going to disappoint.
    It looks like Wayne is getting a meatier storyline, and to be honest I thought Gordon's reaction was a bit unfair.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    Oh, I think rich Paul can do better than just the Hamilton pool.

Keep watching, Willie...

[​IMG]

Aww. Millstone is one of the most handsome screen dogs I think. He's another scene stealer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    For a time it was interesting to read what first time younger viewers think. Particularly around attitudes towards gender roles and suchlike. But at this point (round about #205) I'm finding some of the comments rather tiresome and predictable. Most episodes in the early 200s are peppered with unpleasant comments from the same few people who seem to be hate watching. They express disappointment in Paul for not being the perfect saviour, or judgemental hatred towards Rob for behaving the way people in soaps do. The comments are a curious juxtaposition of idealist and jaded at the same time. They are - to say the least - a very different interpretation to my own viewing experience.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:

The can is open and the Ramberg worms are everywhere, with Patricia and Wayne in one of their first major villainous collaborations to take advantage of the devastation. All that was missing was the mwaaah haa haaas. Perhaps they were coming, until it almost immediately appeared to be counteracted by Gordon. But I have no idea if he's doing exactly what Patricia wants him to do. Your move, Pat.

In storylines with Domine and Davey, I think the writers and Pat McDonald were going for a transference kind of thing due to the long-ago loss of Scott. Instead, Fiona started coming across to me as scary old witch creepy.

Thankfully, now that it's over she's back on great form. There was a wonderful soapy exchange between she and Paul in #205:

Changes are still afoot. Gail has gone to be someone's housekeeper (Dr Lowther, I presume), and until this very sentence I'd actually forgotten all about her. Rob and Angela have given baby Domine to Kerry. Saskia Post has now departed, so their loss is the show's gain. The stage is set for Susan to exit. She's bittersweet, I think. Her departure has left Rob and Angela homeless, so they're looking to see if they can find another windowless box in which to live. I think they've succeeded (unless the set designers have erected a new set just for them to view it once).

Martin looks like he could be a match for Patricia. But surely that's against the rules on this show. His son is attractively cheeky, albeit a bit too immature. I was curious to see what became of him. Good things, it seems...
    [​IMG]

With Paul's slightly longer Season Two hairdo, I have decided he looks awfully like Michael Brody from Jaws 2.
    [​IMG]
    No bad thing.

Plan C has had her first major storyline, in which - abetted by dopey Lynn - she almost killed a character.

However, I really do worry about Plan C, who gets moved from pillar to post with each new storyline. Soap characters really shouldn't have pets (unless it's with another soap character in front of a blazing fire).

I worry, too, about the actress who plays Planny. She's under hot studio lights all day, on all these different sets and handed from actor to actor. Probably working longer hours than she's supposed to. She's even been made to go on location to Woombai where, quite frankly, she looked terrified. And who can blame her? Isn't there a union for performing pussies?

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,866
    Medals:
    Episode 210 featured some very familiar library music. It's probably been used in loads of things including Prisoner, but I most recognise it from being used regularly in Dallas's third season during a musicians' guild strike. I half expected Sue Ellen to wander through Kevin and Lynn's airport confrontation looking confused and claiming she must o' shot JR.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:

Sometimes I forget that Sydney-girl Jill has moved to Melbourne, and then it seems strange to see Melbourne characters dropping by, or her visiting the Palmers.

I can't ignore the feeling that there's a bit of a decline in the writing for season 2.
    Not that the writing for season 1 was so brilliant, but the story development seemed more natural, mostly about things that happened to them e.g. John accidentally getting involved with the Hamiltons and thus finding his biological mother.
    In season 2 I feel most of the drama is created by the characters themselves by having them behave in a too idealistic way - everything has to be perfect and when it doesn't work out that way then the drama is written into it.
    There's a lot of complaining between characters, mostly about things that the viewer already knows - and oftentimes it's too easy to see what the problem is going to be.

Hopefully there's going to be more real tension between the characters and I'd love to see more surprising twists.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,153
    Medals:

It looked like the custody storyline was going to be that explosive event that would force the characters to take sides (or not, but that would be considered just as disloyal).
    Alas, it wasn't meant to be. On the upside, the lacklustre Kerrie is gone and for whatever reason Rob decided to show us his skin-coloured speedos.
    upload_2019-7-24_20-48-2.png
    I honestly don't understand the prudish comments on YouTube.

I like all the phrases and expressions that are frequently used e.g. "take the weight off your feet"/"get on like a house on fire", it makes the dialogue so much more colourful.
    And then there's all the AUS slang like G'day/it's a beaut/barb-y (barbecue).

The story began with John Palmer being the subject of circumstances, now he's a mover & shaker who puts the characters in a certain position, or in a particular place at a particular time.
    His role as the crusader who wants to decide what's best for everyone is a far cry from the lovely guy having an awkward dinner with the Hamiltons.
    But I guess it has to be done for the sake of plot development, and Martin Healy is now the season 2 equivalent of David & Patricia in season 1.
    I don't remember what kind of man he is, but his voice sounds very sinister.

Just like Gail, Wendy has become a bland goody-two-shoes, and it makes me appreciate the spunk of Pru Armstrong even more.

I like Gordon's car, I don't think we had seen it before?
    upload_2019-7-24_21-50-51.png

• Like Like x 1