Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JingeBellsROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,512
    Medals:
    Oh probably. He has something to say about everything. I'd mastered the art of tuning him out or skipping his blather by this point.

Yes, it's a sweet little moment.

Even watching this in the Eighties it felt very much like it was blatantly a way to avoid direct (negative) comparison with Rowena Wallace's performance. There was no logic at all to her choice. If she'd cleared her name she'd claim it back and use it. That's what the last 130 episodes have been about. But yes, since it's the way things are just relax and enjoy.

If we all wish hard enough we can make it happen.

Funny, but my main memory of Caroline was as the catty aggressor. I'd forgotten - or overlooked - that there were other aspects to her a great deal of the time. And yes, many of them showed Abigail in a far more interesting and watchable light. Her performance overall was one of the more patchy for me. There were a few times when she surprised me by being really quite good. But then I'd start wondering why, if this was possible, was she so terrible at other times.

After watching a remarkable twenty episodes in twelve hours, the very least you deserved was for Craig to treat you to breakfast. Even if he does look a little overdressed for such a casual occasion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Wintry North Poleson

Wintry North Poleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:
    Yes, and at this point it seems a little too late to worry about the consquences of a recast. It's done, so why "deny" it?
    And then I think of that scene when she dresses like Dallas' Rose McKay (on steroids), and maybe it is better to not associate her with Patricia.
    These 20 episodes have been the hardest binge watch I've ever done.

The Sydney Mansion bunch seems to operate independently and eventhough it has nothing to do with original Sons & Daughters drama it's usually very watchable for what it is.
    But then the Love Boat arrives and the Mansion becomes a disaster of Titanic proportions.

Wayne & Susan is "Wayne & Jill" all over again, suddenly it's very important to Alison that Susan believes that Wayne has been sabotaging her (Susan's) relationship with Glen.
    Craig, Beryl and Ruby is the real drama that's bubbling under but it's constantly undermined by characters like Debbie, Andy and Doug.
    Gordon regains his memory but there are no consequences, and overall there's no drive or motivation.
    Well I guess it didn't look so bad when we watched only 5 episodes per week.

Despite his schlocky introduction, Glen Young proves to be a sturdy and reliable character. Could he be the anchor that's going to save the Sons & Daughters Adrift?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:

Nope, it's not him. Good old Bill Todd's off-screen death has brought the SS Sitcom to a halt, at least for now.
    It gives some characters the opportunity to recall their soapy past.
    Alison even mentions the twins, and we get to see a picture of Angela in Gordon's new apartment (unfortunately that's the most exciting thing that happens there).

After Operation Rescue Andy, Rescue Barbara and Rescue Fiona it's now time for Operation Rescue Susan From The Clutches Of Evil Wayne.
    The reasons are clear, we know who-wants-what and it finally feels like something that matters.
    It probably won't end up in my Best Of list, but at least it has the ingredients of classic Sons & Daughters.

Clowny Wayne from the previous episodes has gone, he's now super-shrewd and delightfully evil. His wild hair makes me think of Lemony Snicket's Count Olaf.
    He seriously loves Susan (like her seriously loved Jill) and he needs a strong motive like that to justify his actions.
    Team Anti-Wayne consists of Glen, Beryl, Fiona, Charlie and Alison. I'm not quite sure how Alison fits in unless there was an ulterior motive.
    She mostly indulges in the fact that she's just as sharp and wicked as Wayne, and it's things like this that really shouldn't be spelt out because self-awareness doesn't work for fictional characters.
    Interestingly, former goody-two-shoes Andy Greene is in Team Wayne. His boyish appearance has been replaced with that of a greedy hustler so at least now he's justifiably unlikeable.
    I even want to see that plan for a nightclub to become reality.

There are still some wacky scenes, like Charlie as an amateur burglar. They're all living in each other's houses so burglarly doesn't really apply anymore.
    The annoying bitchery in Caroline and Doug's relationship develops into something genuinely romantic, and since romance is one the main ingredients in soap it gives the viewer something to care about (especially since they can't be together right now).

Wayne aggravates Alison with her legal punishment, and as a way of getting back at him she triumphantly spills the beans about Maria's new whereabouts.
    It's a classic construction in soap opera narrative to have a character gloat over his/her upcoming victory before that victory is a fact, thus giving his/her opponent to plan his next move.

David pops up here and there but somehow it's always impossible to locate him. Could he be moonlighting as Superman or Batman?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:
    800!

Ginny: See you later, Mrs Princess Lady Alison!
    And what's that new wave song she's constantly playing? The vocalist reminds of me of Valerie Dore...or maybe someone else.

Now Gordon's living his boring life in his boring yellow kitchen in the boring Seabreeze Towers, Wayne has transformed himself into the new Roger Carlyle.
    And since he's got henchmen-and women in every corner in Sydney they all have good reasons to be afraid of him.
    No more convoluted schemes, the re-vamped Wayne threatens and kidnaps people!
    Well he still has to deceive Gordon and Susan of course, and those scenes are just as funny/childish as before.

Eavesdropping on Susan's phone conversation, and when she's about to hang up he quickly moves back into the living room and pretends to rack his brain over a crossword puzzle or something.
    upload_2019-12-3_23-48-23.png upload_2019-12-3_23-48-41.png

It's been quite a hassle to get Glen on the plane to Bali in order to get the truth from Maria, THE truth that's going to be the ultimate eye-opener for Susan.
    Before that, he's been bound and gagged and locked up in the bathroom of the Hamilton guest house.
    And if I'm not mistaken, it's a premiere for the bathroom! It almost looks too detailed for a one-off set.

Good news, The Company is doing great!
    upload_2019-12-4_0-10-9.png
    An interesting piece of information for the timeline? And shouldn't it be pulls instead of pull? I don't think "industries" is plural in this context.

Glen remains consistently undressed. He has to undergo a thorough personal search at the airport, only to be stripped by Wayne's thugs in the next scene.
    The wedding begins, Susan looks gorgeous, Wayne looks smugger than ever. An eccentric person gives Glen a lift (and some clothes, boo!) and of course we hope he'll make it in time.
    But just like it wasn't Fiona but Brian who showed up at Wayne and Jill's wedding, it's now David instead of Glen who interrupts the wedding ceremony.
    He's got something to say -but what is it?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,512
    Medals:
    These parallels between the old and the new are very enjoyable. I hadn't considered either of these similarities until you pointed them out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:

The first 5 or 6 episodes of this batch were terrific, in an unapologetic-soapy kind of way.
    It doesn't matter really because no one's got any proof, but the room was filled with anger and frustration and it was great to see Gordon and the Palmers on the opposite sides of the argument.
    Glen eventually makes it to Dural but it only makes things worse for him and Susan.
    In order to protect baby Robert, Beryl even goes so far as betraying Susan. Like I said before, it suggests that Wayne now has unlimited power, and another disappearance of Robert is not out of the question. It's totally far-fetched but also very enjoyable to watch.
    He usually operated in the shadow of Patricia, but now he's become the show's #1 resident villain.

I also enjoyed Wayne and Susan's honeymoon being a success, it'll make him even more determined to fight for it.
    upload_2019-12-5_0-56-14.png
    It all looks very romantic, well...maybe except for that time when Susan mentioned Glen in her sleep!

Maria's confession tape plotline has a comical-mystery feel to it and I think it's all about tantalizing the viewer to the max. Everyone had it or almost had it.
    And now it's tucked away in Mae's room but after 5 or 6 episodes it starts to wear off.

Post-jail Caroline is quite likeable and "real", and this time I do buy her friendship with David.
    The "Patricia" in Alison seems to have disappeared in her relationship with Fiona and Beryl, but since the story has other priorities it doesn't bother me that much.
    And I've still got 162 episodes to watch so who knows what's going to happen.

There's rain and thunder (almost louder than the conversation) and there's also a leak in David's kitchen. I honestly couldn't figure out whether it was plot-related or not, maybe it's just scene enhancement for the sake of it - which is very much appreciated, of course.
    However, it is typical that during an argument, Ruby Hawkins comes back into the story, immediately followed by the sound of thunder. Coincidence, or was it meant to show the foreboding nature of the topic?
    Craig's reaction proves that this is the drama that makes him an interesting character, but he can't go anywhere without Debbie by his side. How frustrating!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,512
    Medals:
    Oh lord. What was this? The fifth time or something?

Was this the episode that included a scene of Janice talking to someone outside the mansion? I remember noting at the time how atmospheric it was but it seemed more by accident than design.

Yes. Poor, codependent Craig.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:

The race for the piano stool-with-the-tape is an unabashedly fun sequence. Ginny laughed at Mae because she doesn't know how to explain "left" and "right".
    Everything goes wrong and of course they all end up with nothing.
    But it's been fun trying to predict who'd be the next one to have the tape in his/her possession, knowingly or not.
    I also enjoy scenes like the line dance lesson because there's nothing wrong with characters having fun. After all, without a song or dance what are we?

An awful experience in jail has made Caroline very touchy about...well, touching. This ordeal, rather than the sentence itself, has created a lust for revenge on Wayne and Alison.
    It's far more believable than any of Caroline's previous revenge stories, and it finds the right balance between sinister and pathetic.
    She cons Wayne into thinking that life in jail has changed her (if only he knew exactly how) and she did it so well that I almost believed it myself.

I think Glen and Susan are the most romantic couple since John and Angela. You know they have to be together because all their scenes sizzle with passion, even when Susan hates him or pretends to hate him.
    Glen Young is a great male lead character for S&D's twilight years: he's handsome, he's very likeable and he's not boring. Susan is supposed to be somewhat naive for the sake of the storylines, but I have no complaints about the actress' performance.
    As the new Mrs. Wayne Hamilton and mistress of the Dural residence, there's a bit of Dana Carrington in her (or what Dana could have been).

There's a really sweet conversation between Charlie and Janice, and 2 minutes later Janice literally falls at the feet of a man who's everything that Owen isn't.

Alison has to prove (again) that she's not an awful person and so she takes Ginny under her wing. Knowing how the series is going to end, it makes sense that they're preparing Alison to become a decent person. We have to believe and accept it when she and David reunite in the series finale.
    Would Patricia try to get hold of that tape in order to protect Beryl and Robert? I don't think so!

I do wish Isabella would get an episode ending freeze frame. The Charlie/Isabella scenes should be annoying, but they're not. Maybe because it never dominates the scene, it's just her thing and the other characters don't take much notice of it.
    And Charlie had been established as that kind of character from the very beginning so it never feels contrived or idiotic.

Who knew that Andy Greene would end up in such an entertaining storyline? And then he also almost eats himself to death! Wonderful stuff.

Debbie: And what were they like?
    Ginny: The snails? They were good, actually. It's funny how you think something's gonna be awful and then it turns out to be OK. Bit like you, really.

Episode 820 ends with a most confusing...sort of...revelation, I think?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Victoriafan3

Victoriafan3 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,008
    Yes the scene of Glen being stripped to his underwear is my favourite non Jill/Patrica scene of the entire series! Can’t imagine why?

I’m glad you are liking Glen Willie :) Good guy character, good-looking and not boring exactly.

Here are a few more goodies I found including from 1985 one of the most coma inducing stories of the whole show ;-)

Enjoy the one of Heather Mel, she’s such a good actress

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019 at 2:17 AM
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,825
    Medals:
    Random question to throw into the middle of proceedings but I figured here is as good a place to ask as any. Do they ever address the reason why Patricia keeps the name Alison Carr after everyone discovers that she's Patricia with plastic surgery? I know initially she keeps it going until her name is cleared but why did she keep it afterwards?

I'm still watching this occasionally but I'm only up around the episode 60 mark. As I've only got access to the first season episodes, I'm not binging as I'll be through them in no time with no more to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:
    No, not in a story-narrative kind of way. She matter-of-factly told everyone "No more Patricia, it's Alison now".

We could only speculate about the reasons:
    We shouldn't overlook the fact that most if not all characters have been calling her "Alison" for quite some time now, maybe the writers thought it'd feel forced/unnatural/unrealistic to have all these characters re-rename Alison back to "Patricia".
    It's almost as if they have accepted her as "new" person (and technically speaking she is) but on the other hand there are still references to Patricia's past.
    You could say it blurs the line between fiction and reality.

When Gordon's angry with Alison he says "Patricia would have been proud" - and there's more than one way to interpret that comment.

Recasting the show's most iconic character with not only a new face but also a new identity was sort of genius, but every now and then it seems to backfire a little bit - but not to the point that it ruins the narrative.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    Medals:
    Episode 350

Yes, I like do how having one long lost father isn’t enough on S&D. Everyone has to have at least two.

I like Clingy Margaret at Woombai more than I liked Super-Clever Margaret at Dural who won the Hamiltons over with her over-the-top Mrs Nice Guy act when really they should have been smart enough to see through it.

Yes, the fire was great. The natural-disaster-as-cliffhanger felt very FALCON CREST-ish (but again predates it). It was more impressively staged than, say, FC’s earthquake, despite having a fraction of the budget. For instance, I couldn’t tell if those fiery trees surrounding Margaret and Patricia were real or a special effect.

I noticed they started referring to Charlie’s previous three husbands at the start of Season 3. Before that, her back story was kept very vague.

I don’t think the actress is at fault, or even the writing on an episode-by-episode basis. I don’t really have a problem with Fiona’s development, but I do think the character lost a certain something when they moved her out of Manley Terrace. So much of her personality was tied in with her inability to wake up in the morning and her lack of domesticity and her wacky aerobics routines and her ditziness around business. In the eps I’m watching, she’s presiding over Woombai with an iron fist while constantly cooking meals for everyone without a murmur of complaint. The character is now serving the plot rather than the plot working around the character. But it doesn’t feel like a huge problem to me — she’s still Fiona, just fulfilling the slightly generic role of matriarch.

Yes, following Dee’s death and then her split with Stephen, I felt Patricia had plateaued somewhat. In two and a half years, she’d done pretty much everything: got rich, gone broke, cracked up, got rich again, gone broke again, while alienating all the main characters along the way. There didn’t seem much more they could do with her and when she went away on holiday with Dr Matt, her absence didn’t create the same hole as it did when she took off to find James Sheppard’s grandson back in Season 1. But you’re right, the subsequent “rounding out” of the character, humanising her without suddenly turning her “good” the way KNOTS did Abby for those few strange episodes at the end of Season 9, really works. She's relaxed, she has a sense of humour, she's more human - which also means she's less predictable and subsequently more dangerous than she has been in quite a while. Her scenes with Terry at Woomabi encapsulate all of that.

This time I think it is the actor’s fault. Larry Hagman always used to say that he had an easier acting job than Patrick Duffy cos the bad guy has all the fun and it’s harder to make the good guy interesting. To an extent, that might be true — a juicier part gives you more to sink your teeth into — but I also think he was being modest. When you compare Wayne to JR or Richard Channing, or even Adam Carrington or Lance Cumson, you realise how much more nuanced those performances were.

Whatever happened to Plan C? Did Bunty and Thel take him/her after the fire?

Yes, now he’s fallen in love with most of the women in Australia and asked half of them to marry him, it feels like he isn’t long for this soap. But I do find it very interesting how sidelined he’s become. Heck, even Terry the rapist is a bigger hero than he is now!

Ha, yes!

Yes, their relationship has definitely taken a turn for the unexpectedly interesting.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019 at 11:57 AM
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:

Yet another taped recording is being played over the phone, this time it's a death threat to Alison who's hiding out in Glen's family cabin.
    Caroline eventually manages to locate the cabin and tampers with Glen's car. The accident is without serious consequences but it also wrecks the motorbike that Caroline has used to get there.
    Glen and Alison leave the property while Caroline goes inside the cabin, and she finds out that Glen's dad was a notorious prankster.
    upload_2019-12-8_19-25-58.png
    It's a funny jump-scare you'd expect to happen in the Sydney Mansion, but the total lack of significance in this particular place makes me like it even more.
    Soon thereafter she falls into the well-concealed water tank. That itself wasn't a big surprise but it is sort of tragic-funny that Caroline finds herself trapped in a small space for the third time.
    Luckily, the next day Glen returns to the cabin and informs Caroline that everyone has already figured out what she's been doing to Wayne and Alison, and also that they have decided not to contact the police.
    He persuades her to stay with him in the cabin for a while to get the rage out of her system.
    This set up proves to be quite interesting because the to and fro psycho-analysis reveals more details about the Glen Young character.
    Just like John Palmer before he joined Angela and Rob in the North, Glen has been directionless for quite some time.
    Caroline thinks he's avoiding doing "the best he can" because he's been living with that pressure his whole life.

Charlie is furious (for two whole episodes!) because she thinks Ginny has copied her designs from the ones that are already available in one of the stores.
    Alison thinks she can prove Ginny's innocence and she asks Charlie if they can have the house to themselves in order to prepare their evidence.
    Considering the series' ongoing and hilarious logistic arrangements I was surprised by Charlie's trivial response:
    And what am I supposed to do? Stand outside and look at the stars until you say it's all right to come in?
    Normally speaking there's always a dinner or another social event to attend - and that's exactly how the scene ends anyway. Well I guess it was to show Charlie's agitated state of mind.

Australia's answer to John Travolta is the new tenant in the Sydney Mansion. He gives legal advice or something like that, sort of a 1980s Better Call Saul type.
    Personally I think he ought to pay his clients for listening to that voice.

Maria's confession tape is destroyed but it doesn't matter anymore since the tone of the Hamilton marriage has changed significantly.
    After everyone's efforts to stop and/or destroy it, it has turned into something that has to be nurtured. Quelle surprise when that happiness is immediately jeopardized by another plot twist: Nancy Hamilton's father has died of the genetically transferable Huntington Chorea (but to me it always sounds as "career").
    Wayne needs some time to process his possible future torment and he goes to the dreadful Seebreaze Towers (S&D's answer to La Mirage), which means he may as well be dead already.
    When he returns home, angry and frustrated, it's Beryl of all people who tries to convince him that Susan married him out of love, and not just because she wanted to start a family.
    Nevertheless, Wayne decides that Susan has to end the pregnancy (how I wish the baby was Glen's!)

I guess it makes sense that Andy Greene is far more tolerable in S&D's bronze era, but I can honestly say that I don't dislike him anymore.

Ruby has her "East Of Eden" moment when she tells Craig the truth in the most cruel way possible. Or at least whatever it takes to make him leave because she's beginning to feel uncomfortable about conning her own son.
    Because of Alison's unwanted interference, he decides to give it another try and he finds her sitting on a bench by the river, her face covered with the hood of her tacky blue coat.
    Unlike the viewer Craig doesn't know that the face under the hood has been smashed with a hammer, which adds an Hitchcockian feel to the scene, and the fact that it's happening in broad daylight makes it even more grotesque.

Murder suspect Craig is hiding in Fiona's office, but the Hopkinses want to deliver him to the police, just like murder Bill Todd did to John Palmer all those years ago.

At the beginning of David and Alison's reconciliation, David mentions something of their past - "just one of those things you never forget".
    And after that, but maybe in the next episode, he also reminisces about what attracted him in Beryl. I guess it's one of the quintessential Sons & Daughters themes that's never going to change, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019 at 9:04 PM
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,512
    Medals:
    It's one of those comforting constants, I think.

Good spot, Willie. And yes.

The whole Alison thing is so full of contradictions - messy but neat, muddled but simple, so wrong but so right. I'd find it very difficult to explain to someone who hasn't seen the series how and why it works despite everything saying it shouldn't.

Or the series gets to have its cake and eat it.

I really like the "less is more" approach which is presumably a necessity of the genre and time slot, but is more psychologically effective than any amount of detail would be.

I love how these themes keep coming back round in different forms. In many TV series it would seem lazy or unoriginal, but with S&D it invariably feels perfect.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,512
    Medals:
    It's a bit of a shame there's no behind-the-scenes for some of these big S&D action sequences and cliffhangers. But then perhaps the fact that there isn't helps it stay legendary and fascinating.

While I think her backstory worked for the series, I think I preferred vague Charlie of the early days who was more difficult to read.

Great points. I don't think I'd noticed how her little quirks had been quietly dropped over time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,512
    Medals:
    Oh goodness: one of the articles is written by Cherie Nowlan. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:

OMG, Susan Palmer Todd Hamilton has turned the interior of the Dural residence into an aquarium! Even the iconic chessboard floor in the hallway is gone!
    The fitness class that was suggested by Beth Newman in season 2 becomes an ugly reality when Wayne sees the potential of a fitness club scam.
    He wants his child to inherit a fortune made by himself so he needs a lot of money a.s.a.p. The idea is to find an investor and then defraud him with fake invoices and whatever.
    Charlie is the unlucky one, and Caroline suspects there's something fishy going on.

Glen works there as fitness instructor, and when he and Susan become friendly again Wayne orchestrates a charade that will give him good reason to fire Glen.
    These calling-a-stranger-to-do-some-dirty-work scenarios are getting a little tiresome and lazy, and the fake injury scheme is absolutely ridiculous.

Even worse than that is David and Alison's Dempsey & Makepeace* adventure. They're trying to find some dirt on Colin Hopkins but they're having way too much fun with it.
    But I did like the scenes in the freezer, and the dangerous situation has consequences for the future.
    Alison tells David that she still loves him but he decides to go back to "boring hausfrau" Beryl again.

When Craig and Ginny arrive at David's place they discover that Debbie and Andy are gone. My first reaction was "yippee!" but of course it was too good to be true.
    Oh, not because they're back in the next episode. It's because Craig has to mention her in every f***ing sentence. Even when she's not there she totally dominates the scene.

Wayne's fed up to the back teeth with Caroline's constant interference and accusations and he decides to get rid of her by having her commited to a mental hospital.
    There's a series of rather predictable gaslighting events that's going to convince everyone - Susan and Gordon in particular - that she's going crazy. We've seen it all before.
    But that's not the end of it because she's not going to a real hospital. Wayne has her kidnapped and imprisoned in Australia Horror Story Asylum - which he has bought in order to control the staff (as if they're not evil enough).
    I can enjoy a villain's villainy, but this story with Wayne and Caroline seems like torture for the heck of it. When he visits Caroline in the horror hospital he takes on a The Godfather imago, but back at Dural he's still that angry kid who has to do things secretly behind his father's back. It doesn't make sense.

And so David asks Beryl to re-marry him. This happens without a significant build-up and pooha, and it almost looks like a quick happy ending exit for these characters.

Glen and Susan are looking for Caroline and they think she could be in Glen's cabin. Severe weather prevents them from leaving the place but they're not too worried about it.
    Glen tells Susan that he doesn't have a child with Maria and she believes him. So much for that precious cassette tape!
    The good thing about Wayne's over-the-top evilness is that I'm going to revel in every moment of comeuppance, like his troublesome journey through the woods.
    That moment with the boat made me laugh and cheer.
    He takes a nasty tumble but he's saved by a doctor who's probably also looking for an heiress attacked by crocodiles. Unfortunately, victim Wayne is the best he can do.
    However, this unexpected meeting results in one of the most unexpected scenes in season 5 as Wayne opens up about his inner demons, and it's just so much better than any of the unconvicing remorse scenes he's done before.
    It isn't about remorse anyway, and we also get know more about Patricia's influence when he was a child. Not that we didn't suspect something like this, but it's nice when it's addressed in a matter-of-factly way.
    (Rosie was supposed to be the good influence, but she stayed at Woombai when they moved to Sydney).

In the meantime, Glen and Susan have rekindled their feelings for eachother (yes!!) and whatever Susan decides, it seems like a turning point in the Hamilton marriage.
    Bring it on!

Charlie is about to become a "grandmother", it's really amazing how an animal can have such character growth in a soap opera.

Doug Fletcher is back, and the search for Caroline makes Caroline's ordeal more interesting.
    She thinks she's going to be rescued by a doctor.
    upload_2019-12-12_1-34-8.png
    I really like this new character despite the fact that he's just an ordinary psycho.

*This made me wonder if I should buy the DVD because I really liked it back in the 80s, but not every old show has aged very well. Hart To Hart was such a disappointment!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,512
    Medals:
    Agreed. It was one of the better Wayne scenes for some time, and a nice atmospheric scene in general.

When I made the D&M comparison with this scene I was thinking of the general badness and cheesiness. But I confess to buying the DVDs and a good number of the episodes are quite watchable in a formulaic kind of way. If I'm in the right mood.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wintry North Poleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,307
    Medals:
    I've almost finished season 5 and I must say it's been a very mixed bag for me.
    When it's good it's great, and when it's bad I find it almost unwatchable (e.g. Bjorn and the Craig/Debbie romance).
    The Sydney Mansion and its characters has an old-fashioned British sitcom charm to it but there was too much of it. At some point it almost felt like watching 2 different shows at the same time.
    We lost two great characters but season 5 also has Susan and Glen and I've thoroughly enjoyed this love triangle (it's not over yet!)
    The pacing was better than season 4, but that doesn't help when the episodes aren't very entertaining.

• Like Like x 2