Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,437
    Medals:
    Yes, and it works because Tom Richards is so extremely in-character as David, so whenever something as soap-y like this happens to him it feels like the real thing.
    Funnily enough there was hardly any build-up to the father-daughter reunion since the story mostly focused on Patricia and John, but Patricia's big revelation fell a little flat (unless the episode was heavily edited).
    "Sorry for rounding you all up in such an Agatha Christie manner"....so far, so good - but Angela didn't react to the idea that she was in love with her twin brother.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Medals:
    Patricia and John had a one-night-stand once. Well, that is what actress Rowena Wallace said two years ago...

3. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,080
    Medals:
    Yes. It's like he's just a bloke who's stumbled into a soapy situation. I don't recall seeing him in anything else, and I imagine that adds to the reality for me, because I can't differentiate between Tom and David. To me, David responds exactly as Tom would, and that adds an authenticity. It's why David's presence was so key to the most outlandishly soapy stories working. When after almost 700 episodes he
    Register or to view Spoiler content!
    I believed it, no matter how ridiculous it seemed on paper.

Yes. It does seem that way. But instant gratification isn't everything. Keep watching, Willie.

It's hard to shake this when watching their scenes together. Especially now there's been a lot of Pat/John one-to-ones at Woombai with him strutting round in tight t-shirts while she watches.

Call me old-fashioned, but I think I'd rather Rowena kept that information to herself.

4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,437
    Medals:
    Barbara and Amanda spill the beans on Peter Phelpps, apparently he's dated everyone.

But who would win the S&D Hunks battle, smooth John or hairy Wayne?
    Oh yes, there's still a lot to discuss!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,080
    Medals:
    I love how inaccurately the presenters of these things describe the characters and events. "The scheming Barbara" indeed.

The "Godbye" story does make me smile. And the cast chemistry is still great here. I really wish I'd bought The Sons And Daughters Interviews DVD back when it came out. Now it seems quite impossible to find.

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,437
    Medals:
    It's so bizarre that they never bothered to release all episodes on DVD because I really think it was the Australian answer to Dallas and Dynasty in terms of popularity, much more than Return To Eden.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +285
    Medals:
    No, it’s not.

http://www.videosolutions.com.au/order.php?id=0

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,080
    Medals:
    Completely agree, Willie. Sons And Daughters seems to be fondly remembered in a number of countries.

Prisoner
    and The Sullivans have both been released in their entirety, and both had a greater output in terms of hours. So a complete release of S&D would have been quite achievable.

Thanks for that. It's good to know it can be found.

All the same I'm not sure I can justify the cost. Around £21 plus a hefty import fee on top.

I guess I'll keep hoping eBay will provide one of these days.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,437
    Medals:
    Speaking of obscure Australian DVDs, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for the Let The Blood Run Free set. Season 1 is available from Ebay at $62, and that's US dollars, not Australian.
    :brick:

10. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,080
    Medals:
    Yikes!! Good hunting, Willie.

I hadn't heard of this one and just looked it up. There are some marvellous character names. I think "Effie Shunt" is my favourite.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,437
    Medals:
    It's extremely over the top and it shouldn't work for me because slapstick humour isn't really my thing, but the actors are so good!
    Most of them haven't done any TV work besides this show, but maybe I shouldn't assume that every IMDB profile is 100% complete.
    All episodes (26?) are on YouTube in acceptable picture quality, as far as I recall.

p.s. I'm slightly miffed that we don't have a prefix for Sons & Daughters threads.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,658
    Medals:
    I ended up having another mini-binge last night after work. I'm up to episode 76. I cant decide if I am attracted to Beryl's younger brother or not. I mean when he first showed up I thought not. Then a few scenes later her was answering a phone call from Angela in his speedos and I saw him in a completely different light. I'm so confused.

I have to say I really dislike Pru. I'd like her to be blown to smithereens in some tractor explosion. I don't think that's gonna happen though, I think she's gonna stick around forever.

I am really feeling this story of the falling apart of Patricia and Gordon's marriage and how Angela feels about it all falling apart. Desperately trying to keep her family together.
    I'm also really enjoying the subtleties of Patricia's manipulations and game play. I mean she's obviously not this glamour vixen like Alexis Colby or even Sable from Dynasty. It's all playing out on a very different stage and Patricia is just like this upper middle class wife/mother but Jesus! She's a bitch. And deep down you know that she's really just a phoney bitch who got very good at playing a role in life.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,080
    Medals:
    This reminds me of watching in the Eighties, when I'd see TV Times entries for an ITV region that was a little ahead of my local one and had no idea who on earth they were talking about.

You've nailed it exactly with the last sentence. Funnily enough I made similar observations to your own in another thread a short while back:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,658
    Medals:
    That at least gives me hope that Pru doesn't stick around. Actually it's Prue, and she's Barbara's niece who's having a thing with John.
    I'm not sure if I had read that or not. Although it's bang on how feel about Patricia. Especially that Telephone voice all the time comment. She's really playing a role. Which is kind of amazing when you think about Rowena Wallace and how she maybe approached the character. Rowena is an actress who has decided that Patricia is also an actress of sorts.

It also reminds me of Dominique on Dynasty, although with much worse writing there. Dominique Deveraux was really always just Millie Cox playing a posh lady.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,437
    Medals:
    When is Paul The Priest showing up? I had a big crush on him.
    She can't be worse than that nasty Leigh.

p.s. I'm super-excited about our new S&D prefix!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,658
    Medals:
    Whats this now?

17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,437
    Medals:
    It's something special, it's something beautiful, it's a soapchat prefix!

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,080
    Medals:
    Ah - Rob!! Now I remember Rob, but I could not remember that he was Beryl's brother. I must've known, but it rings no bells at all.

It's quite some time since I watched, but I remember finding him rather dishy. It's quite interesting revisiting series after a number of years because my tastes have changed so much that there's the risk I'll wonder what possessed me.

Ah yes. Prue Armstrong.

Yes indeed. I think there's a bit of that with Abby on Knots also. The person she presents as in, say Season Seven is very different to Season Two. Season Seven Abby wouldn't dream of getting into a hot tub with Richard Avery because her needs are different. And she'd sooner everyone forgot about that (her interactions with Richard at Laura's funeral were a stark reminder of how different her world was by then). There's an element of airbrushing her past, but in a very real way. And the skeleton is there in her closet - and at the back of our minds - because we've seen it.

It's the same with Pat. We saw that gauche little brunette girl tripping up the step on her way into Fiona's place back in 1962, and she's still in there somewhere, telling Pat she doesn't really belong in the world she occupies in 1982 and making Pat work harder to move away from her. There's all kinds of hypocrisy at work (her snobbery towards her own son, for example). But that's quite a real thing.

It adds an interesting layer to be in on that element.

The SoapChat gods are indeed smiling on you today, Willie.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,080
    Medals:
    It still gives me a little bit of a kick to see Roger Oakley and Vanessa Downing sharing scenes in episode 60. They even managed a brief one-to-one.

[​IMG]

It's just a shame they're both stuck in the middle of the most boring storyline to date.

20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,437
    Medals:
    Last night I found myself rooting for the current underdogs: Susan and Patricia.
    I can understand why Gordon his shunning his wife but somehow this kind of non-communication never really translates the way it should.
    Perhaps because television is all about communication.
    And Rosie hates Patricia too, I have no idea why, all I know is that she liked Gordon's first wife better. She has a big mouth, I hope Patricia is going to torture her.
    It's nice that Angela's getting along with her father and half-brother but Susan's life has kind of fallen apart so I can understand her animosity towards her fair-weather half-sister.

John is going on a date and Angela decides to join them...ooh this is not good.
    Fiona co-owns a part of Woombai and I remember there was another company later on in the series but what was the name? Something with "wolf" in it?

• Like Like x 1