Sons & Daughters Watching/rewatching/discussing The Aussie Hit Show

Discussion in 'Australian & New Zealand Soaps' started by JROG, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,083
    Medals:
    I know what you mean. Even though Patricia is clearly a terrible wife and only in it for the money and security, we seem to be privy to more of her inner thoughts. Gordon is more insular and stoical, so is harder to pin. But I do "get" him. Probably because I, too, can be insular and stoical.

It's been expanded on a little between where you are and where I am. Or at least Patricia has clarified how Rosie fits into things in terms of relationships.

Because she has a big mouth? Or are the two unrelated?

Surely it can't be...?

[​IMG]

Can it?!

Woombai is actually a property rather than a company.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    Very related, she rubs me up the wrong way. But she also expands on the Hamilton family history (e.g. the child version of Wayne) and that's a good thing.

3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,658
    Medals:
    Because Patricia is a phoney bitch and a common slut at heart
    She seems to have simmered down a bit and isn't as annoying around episode 80.
    I never knew how to spell that, and I'm not quite sure what it is. Is it a ranch? A stud farm? A soon to be equestrian training school? A crummy old farm house by the lake. It looks like they are building lots of stables and stuff. I feel like it's about to turn into Lassiters from Neighbours or Lotus Point from Knots Landing at any minute. I was never actually sure what they were either but they sounded awfully business-y and important.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  4. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,658
    Medals:
    Wayne has just been a bit of an Ass to Rosie in the last episode I watched. I wanted to smack him with his crutch. I also want Rosie to scald Prue with hot tea, but not really for any reason at all.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    Good! The old hag deserves everything she gets.
    As for Woombai, there used to be some kind of profit coming from it, and whatever it is it needs the water from Fiona's land, so I'd say it's more than just property that they own.

Episode 32 was fantasic. It's amazing how much can happen in 25 minutes.
    David visits Patricia (of all people!) and this should be a very big thing but it doesn't look like it. "Wanna stay for dinner?"
    Really, just like that?
    And yet there's something magical about their first scene together. David is still the naive and simple guy ("but what if we wanted the same thing?") and Patricia the more reserved and calculated person.
    It's such a delight to watch these actors doing their thing.
    I kind of appreciate Patricia's consistency and determination. Like she said it was her choice, she never made any excuses for it (at least not to herself) and she never looked back.
    But the Palmers and Hamiltons are getting more and more intertwined so I'm sure there's going to be some changes.

Angela shows her snobby-bitchy side when she calls John's friend "plain, dull and suburban", basically describing her stepmother.
    There's a tense/erotic moment between the twins, oh my god!
    Kevin and Lynn are going to get married, which means they're going to occupy Beryl's living room for the next 400 episodes. Fun!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,658
    Medals:
    Not quite.

7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    No? They're not staying on the couch forever? That's how I remember them.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    Kevin is very excited to meet "dad's" mysterious ex-wife. He thinks she's a spunky mom.
    The Palmers give her the red carpet treatment (by suburban Melbourne standards anyway) and Patricia enjoys simple food for a change. Poor Beryl.
    What's definitely not simple to eat, especially during shooting a scene, is a cracker with tomato. Spunky, indeed!

It looks like David has no intention to pamper his long-lost daughter and he tells her off for the way she talks about Susan and her rebellious behaviour during her mother's visit.
    Plot-wise it's no big deal but I like these little surprises, eventhough it's just David being totally himself.
    It's the complete opposite of John/Scott's experience in Sydney.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,083
    Medals:
    I think of Charlie as a somewhat naïve ditz, but she's quite a cold schemer in her early episodes. Whispered confabs with Patricia, plotting to distract and divert - like the raptors from Jurassic Park - so that Patricia may capture and devour her prey. There's a suggestion that she's doing it out of a skewed rose-coloured view of romance. But Charlie may be more dangerous in her own way than Pat, because it's all inconsequential fun to her. All the same, she was there for Pat when things blew up and proved she could do a bit of tough love:

The almost wordless scene at the end of Episode 64 is one of the series' most atmospheric yet. Beryl walking round her darkened home with silence except for the ticking clock. For the first time it didn't look like a set.

Kevin has a point. Sickly meringue desserts are far from the traditional reward for infidelity.

During one of Jill's crises of indecision, Fiona had a momentary lapse and complained about the storyline she's ended up in:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    And there's another thing about these visits, it's almost as if they're guest starring in each other's spin-off.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    David and Patricia meet again after Wayne's accident and there's a hint of committing adultery. Now, I wouldn't say "this doesn't make sense" but it's just that I wouldn't expect this to happen so soon. It's almost as if there's no script and the actors are left to their own devices, pretty much like real life is.
    As @Mel O'Drama mentioned, there is a follow-up to John and Angela's ex-romance story and it almost gets a little psycho.

A few episodes ago a young trucker (Mick? Nick?) showed up at the place of Beryl's parents and Beryl told Susan that he's dying (it turns out to be a brain tumor) and somehow I didn't get how he was related to Beryl or her parents. Or maybe she knew him from the diner she used to work in although he seems much younger than David and Beryl.
    He's sort of divorced, has a kid and is moving in with Susan (because she needs the rent and he needs a place to stay when he's in Melbourne).
    Of course she really starts to like him but he's only interested in Angela.
    There's an exciting arm-wrestling scene between him and John, and the kid supports his father.
    "Come on, dad. Come on. Come on, dad. Come on. Come on, dad. Come on. Come on, dad. Come on". I think that was very scripted.

John moves back to Sydney again which means less laundry for Beryl. She's got enough work to do as it is.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,083
    Medals:
    Yes - there is a crossover element that gives it a little sense of event and keeps the dynamics green.

In episodes I'm watching at the moment, Fiona is visiting the Palmers yet again while Angela has returned to Sydney.

The scene at Dural in particular is drastically different to just a short while ago. Angela is now the guest. Gordon is off at Woombai. Patricia is the interloper. Wayne is still settling in after his hospital stay. Ironically, the person who seems most at home there is John.

Great, isn't it?!

In other news, Kevin has overheard a conversation he shouldn't have and has finally got a meaty storyline that doesn't involve mooning around after his squeaky little wife. He even got what was probably his first "serious" freeze frame.

If Beryl tackled her marriage with a tenth of the vigour she does her vacuuming she'd be a lot happier. Instead we get "Oh, I don't like to think about it. Want some coffee?" She's infuriating.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    An exciting discovery: I've got the same teacups as Beryl's.
    upload_2019-6-21_3-33-10.png
    upload_2019-6-21_3-33-34.png

Would it be worth auctioning them?

And speaking of display...
    upload_2019-6-21_3-39-49.png

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    Charlie Bartlett is...surreal. She's Morgan "Paper Dolls" Fairchild playing Eartha Kitt.
    Fiona wants to play a lady and John doesn't want to play at all. David wants to Keep Up With The Hamiltons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    Oh wait, it's his son, Stevie. I thought there was something weird about this storyline but it makes sense now.
    There's quite a bit of quasi-accidental plotting going on that puts the characters exactly where the writers want them to be, and it seems to affect the Palmers the most, David and Beryl specifically.

It looks like most of the budget is spent on food. The actors are drinking and eating in at least 50% of their scenes, and it's more than a sip and a nibble.

Gordon shows David the house, including the bedrooms. Oh, cringe! What a very seventies thing to do.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Julia's Gun

Julia's Gun Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I just watched episode 51 and realized how much I love and respect Fiona - she reminisced with David about what life was like in the 1950s, and their bond linking back to the opening episode was quite touching. Any scenes with her or Patricia are completely compulsive - I wonder if Pat McDonald and Rowena Wallace got on or socialized outside of the soap?
    So sad Fiona passed on just a few years after the show finished. I love how their joint machinations are used to conspire to get David & Pat together at just the right times. Fiona is like the good, means well, gets people together schemer and Patricia is the evil, I'm in it for myself manipulator. But Pat is always more complicated than just a selfish bitch - I actually care about her and shared her shock and brief vulnerability when Gordon finally confronted her and said he wants a divorce - she seemed genuinely thrown off course and well, a bit gutted, for half an episode at least.

Love this show so much, and intend to keep watching per episode instead of skipping to those famous end-of-year cliffhangers I know are waiting on the horizon...

• Like Like x 4
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    These actors, and Pat McDonald in particular, give such excellent performances, and it's hard to believe that all that dialogue is scripted.
    I agree, and even her memory of her grandparents hit the right note.
    It's funny because in the first 25 episodes or so she was definitely portrayed as the nemesis (she didn't just leave David, she actually hated him - for being poor and without a future) but the writers don't try very hard to maintain her position of the villain.
    Like I said before, it's as if the characters march to the beat of their own drum - and she didn't even want to ruin David's marriage. She gets a lot of opposition from other characters but I have to say that Gordon is also a lousy husband, always tired, never want to talk about anything. And John and David are not exactly the most easy-going people.
    She always defends Wayne eventhough he doesn't always deserve it.
    Rosie hates her because she had the nerve to marry Gordon, was he supposed to be a widower for the rest of his life?
    At this point in the story Patricia is merely paying the price for the (dastardly) mistakes she made in the past, but things will change - when is it ever not changing? - and she'll have her chance to be wicked again.
    No, don't skip anything. There's too much goodness in every episode.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    Well, that didn't take long.
    Actually, it was David who encouraged the affair, but now he's feeling worried about it and she doesn't, which makes her the reckless person without a conscience (as suggested by her very liberated friend, Charlie).
    They manipulate the situation even further by placing Beryl opposite Patricia, literally and figuratively.
    You think you know the story and then suddenly it's become something completely different.
    And when Patricia is not happy...oh boy!

Rosie is kind of a one-trick pony but I'm beginning to like her anyway.

Plan C ("Planny", as Wayne calls it) is the most adorable pussycat.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    The best kind of manipulation is to give someone a fake choice.
    David is upset because he feels that Beryl knows about the affair, Patricia thinks Beryl has no clue (she's lying) but then she says "Do you want to go after her, just in case? I'm not stopping you".
    Going after Beryl is something that David might have done, impulsively, but when Patricia puts that option into words it seems to complicate the idea, rather than making it easier.
    And in case of any possible future accusations she can counter-argue them with "but I suggested that…"

The lovely Barbara is back from her trip to the States and she throws a little shade at The American Way. She thinks she and Gordon are acquaintances-going-friends. I wonder if her husband is going to die (soon)?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,440
    Medals:
    Some further random thoughts on one of the greatest soaps ever...

I love the ripple effect of David and Patricia's affair, all the scheming to keep it a secret from The Twins.
    John & Angela may not be the show's romantic couple but they are some kind of wholesome, almost divine entity - and it's very important that nothing's going to upset them (or the Sons & Daughters universe may cease to exist).
    Stevie's death looks massively underplayed compared to that.
    Nick (a few hours after Stevie had died): "he was the only good thing that's ever happened to me".
    Angela: "Oh come on!"
    Of course, the death of one's child is universally considered the #1 worst thing that could happen to someone, it would be very hard if not impossible to do it right without upstaging everything else that's going on.
    The story was never really about them, I guess that's the purpose of these "interim" characters.

I have liked Kevin from the very beginning, but the falling out with his father shows what a great soap character he really is. All the melodrama looks wonderfully genuine, and it's very satisfying to see David in a relatively humble position for a change.
    The tumultuous introduction of Beryl's brother Rob feels as if the Flying Doctors dropped a package of joie de vivre on the Palmer's doorstep.
    Figured they could use some.
    At this point it's too early to tell how "in-character" he is, but wherever he goes there's too much noise and too much movement.
    Incidentally, horse betting appears to be a common pastime among the Australian working class.

Speaking of horses, Allan Pascoe looks too suave to be a stable's manager, he's like a draft version of Stephen Morell (actor Michael Long also played Bill Todd's advocate).
    I find him very pleasant to watch.
    They haven't shown much of Barbara yet but obviously she's a total scene stealer - and on S&D that's saying a lot.

Angela tells Charlie that she'd hate to see her mother end up like her (Charlie). I don't disagree with her - and she put it in the politest way possible - but somehow it came across as particularly cruel.
    True, Charlie is the Queen of Bad Advice, but she doesn't take herself very seriously and I think that's the major appeal of this character. But now we're being told that it sucks.
    Oh, it's just so very confrontational.

Wayne thinks John is going to undermine his position at Woombai, thanks to Patricia's manipulations (how I love that woman) and now he's treating John and everyone else like dirt, he doesn't even want to play with Plan C anymore!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1