Watching Season 11 (DVD) for the First Time

Discussion in 'Dallas Season Reviews' started by JROG, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,559
    Medals:
    No, that's it. Unless you count Ronn Moss's first wife appearing somewhere around the final season. But she was Y&R people, I guess. lol

• Like Like x 1
  2. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,790
    Medals:
    EPISODE 17: ANNIVERSARY WALTZ

Oh, this was such an unexpectedly thrilling episode! Could season 11 finally have gained steam?

J.R. is hanging out with the secretaries again, when he runs into Casey. It seems J.R. is in a much more forgiving mood than usual when it comes to Casey, which is totally out of character, but I suppose when the cast is this tiny, you should keep a hold of your friends if you can get them.

The episode features the very surprising, and welcome, return of Dave Culver. Apparently this is still Tom Fuccello, but he looks so different with the mustache, I could have sworn they recast. I really like that Dave went to Bobby as soon as the winds of change regarding the Ewings started blowing in Washington. But the returns don’t stop there! The always hilarious Valentine suddenly pops up at Sue Ellen's, and manages to make a complete fool of himself within a minute or two, much to my pleasure. But then the show unleashes Valentine onto J.R. and, oh, his reactions are worth it! I can’t escape the feeling they’re just trying to fill up time, but it doesn’t matter.

It takes days for Bobby to remember to confront Cliff about his friendship with Lisa, which was such odd pacing and plotting. Is business that busy, Bobby? There’s a fun little scene where J.R. is in Lisa's apartment and has to hide when Cliff arrives to see her. This type of goofy shenanigan works.

There’s some very nice stuff here for Miss Ellie and Clayton. I am continually surprised that the show didn’t throw away the DOA project but instead keeps giving Miss Ellie and Mavis material! I suppose they have to, since there’s not enough going on to fill up airtime, but I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. Miss Ellie considers devoting more time to Clayton but he insists there’s no need, since his visits to Plant Lady in her little private jungle keep him more than busy. Clayton also insists that he doesn’t have feelings for Plant Lady but goes all Papa Bear when he sees the future B&B hunk with her. He then forgets his and Miss Ellie’s anniversary.

April continues being a worthless bitch. What else?

But the real fun stuff belongs to—shocking—Jenna and Charlie, as well as J.R., Bobby, and Kimberly. Oh, that slap Jenna gave Charlie resonated and echoed deep down in my soul! Such a life-changing, orgasmic moment. I should do one of those repeating gifs of it. But it was nothing compared to the utter shock of Kimberly threatening J.R. and him physically attacking her and threatening to rape her. That scene was more electric and interesting than all of this season put together. It’s J.R. at his most deliciously evil and vile. And then comes a doozy of a final scene, where J.R. surprisingly admits to Bobby that Lisa Alden's arrival was orchestrated by him. In a move of surprising, but completely understandable, violence, Bobby chases J.R. through the patio and then drowns him in the pool.

Lawd!

• Like Like x 7
  3. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,860
    Medals:
    Great review @JROG - thank you

a lot to like and a lot not to like! ie April, Mr Valentine, Laurel the woodentop, Lisa
    Did enjoy the finale and fighting in the pool, just like the old days and always nice to see Mavis

• Like Like x 6
  4. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,804
    Thoroughly enjoy reading your critiques. It really hits home though how utterly stupid Dallas became. By this stage it had run out of steam and should have been put to bed when Pam crashes into the tanker. For me Pam was the foundation that kept the concept of Dallas alive and my reason for watching. Her character was the connection between the Ewing and Barnes family. Once she was gone there was really no reason for Cliff to hang around. A more stable person - after years of torture from JR Ewing - would have left Dallas on the next available Learjet.

It's tragic to witness what was considered "must watch television" develop into the mess it became. I know longer cared about the characters I once did. How the hell did Sue Ellen go from being a drunk and organizing benefits for the under-privileged to running a company? What was the point of the mysterious Katherine turning up at the hospital if nothing was to come of it. And all the other extraneous characters creeping into the Dallas Universe that were simply unwarranted.

And to think...worse was to come.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    My possible explanation for what I call the Mary Sue Ellen who all of the sudden knew how to manage a company AND make it a multi-million dollar one without any and/or or enough real business training (and I don't count Mr. Valentine's flimsy off screen tutoring as real experience) was the writers probably suddenly realizing just how harshly they have treated female characters, and thus scrambling around to make them look more capable to please the viewers as quickly they could before they lost any more or Linda Gray left. It was very rushed and sloppy. Heck, even Pam's "business training" (reading a few books and getting information from Mark during the rare times he wasn't hitting on her) looked more believable than this!

Once Pam left, it was the beginning of the end as the Barnes family was reduced to Cliff's one-man comedy act.

I have never been able to find out why Katherine was only in two episodes of this season. Especially since it sounded like Morgan Brittany thought she was going to stay longer and Leonard Katzman made it sound like she would be responsible for Pam's disappearance. Do you know what happened here, Rove? But honestly, maybe it was better that she didn't get to stay. In my opinion, the show was quickly becoming a train wreck! So it was probably safer for her to get off the express while she still could and exit with some dignity before whatever fiendish plot Lenny might have cooked up could have taken place.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    I really hate JR's rape attempts and blackmail sex. I guess I can understand how the scenes can look dramatic, and as much as I like JR as a character, I honestly just think they made him into a pervert who likes to commit crimes against women with these scenes.

Even though I like Laurel Ellis, I really hated how they had to add the weird "romantic" element between her and Clayton. Was it not possible for the writers to see that men and women can just be friends without some kind of underlying attraction that may or may not be displayed between both or one of the two people? Making Clayton miss his anniversary made him look way too OOC and a total jerk.

So damn sick of Lisa Alden...

The line about April was perfect!

What I liked: Jenna slapping Charlie! YES!! Haven't actually liked Jenna since season 7 (dvd), but she sure earned a point here! Charlie was so annoying about this Randy thing. They try to treat her like an adult, and she still is an insufferable little loser about it! A lot people liked the Pam slapping Katherine scene, but I liked this better because there was more of a deep sense of frustration here that was building up in Jenna. The Pam slap scene could have been better if they added more emotion to the characters in it. Pam should have been more shocked and hurt besides just showing her anger. Something like "Katherine, how could you do this!?" And if Katherine hadn't been totally nuts by then, she could launched into a passionate speech about her love for Bobby. Something like "I would have never left him like you did, Pam!" All of this would've made the slap better. But since we had a psychotic Katherine and a non-existent sibling relationship, this just played out more like a "Har, har! Take that, bitch!" moment that actually seemed like some weird attempt at fanservice for the viewers. It was so rushed and insignificant that they immediately switched right back to the dramatic music with the Jessica Montford stuff going on even BEFORE the scene had faded out!

Sorry for my long rant there! I always enjoy these episode reviews, and I can't wait to see your reactions once or if you get to the next season!

• Like Like x 4
  7. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,804
    Never understood the purpose of Cliff hanging around after Pam left Dallas.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,559
    Medals:
    Sort of, but not really.

Dave will appear a few more times before the series ends, thankfully. But wouldn't it be nice if it was Donna instead? :)

:fantastic:

Private jungle. :lol::lol::lol:

Word.

:idea:

Remember when this happened before, during the Year of Donna Reed? It seemed better staged/directed then. Here it really did seem like J.R. was going to keel over. :eck:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,804
    I recently re-watched Morgan's interview with Dallas Divas Derby (available on youtube) and there doesn't appear to be a definitive answer to it. Morgan offers no real answer and seems baffled by it all. She was certainly surprised when she got that call from Lenny about bringing Katherine back after "Swan Song."

By the way it's a great interview with Morgan. Such a treat to watch an actor really talk about a fictional character, which must be weird. What an insult to long times fans and Morgan for Cynthia Cidre to kill off such an iconic character.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    Yeah, I remember that. "But Lenny, I'm dead!" LOL! My explanation is that Lenny started to think about using Katherine, put then got too caught up in his bizarre fascination with April and adding more new below average characters that he seemed to believe would become huge fan favorites with everyone. It was just more deletions of successful actors and their characters so he could continue to build his "dream team".

• Like Like x 2
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,804
    It would have made more sense if Katherine did have something to do with Pam's vanishing act from Dallas. I accept Victoria wasn't returning but a substantial story arc involving Cliff and Bobby and their determination in locating Pam could have carried Dallas throughout the season instead of Bobby standing on the porch of Southfork and facing GOD for answers. Fast forward to 2012 and this story could have come full circle with JR attempting to locate Pam, but instead finds that evil, contemptuous, venomous snake, Katherine.

• Like Like x 4
  12. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,790
    Medals:
    EPISODE 18: BROTHERLY LOVE

Much like seasons 5 or 8, Season 11 appears to have finally picked up steam about halfway through – what started as a more haphazard, loosely plotted first half of the season seems to be pulling together into a more concrete show.

After Bobby gives J.R. a bath, the family once again realizes what a little bitch J.R. is. Just like that, Mysterious Woman Lisa Alden is sent packing, but Bobby isn’t in a forgiving mood – with Mustachioed Dave's help, Bobby wants to get Ewing Oil back but keep J.R. out of it! Oh, that’s going to go well.

In the mother of all random developments, Sly and Casey decide to start dating. No set-up, no build-up, right to the point. My, they must really need material to fill out the episodes.

Miss Ellie is thankful to have Clayton in her life, which surely means his penis is about to trip and fall right into Laurel’s ‘plant.’ But Laurel seems determined to remain Papa Bear free – she tells Clayton she will not be the center of his universe. I’m kinda liking it.

Sue Ellen and Nicholas redo the same scene they’ve done about a dozen times before this season: Things are hot and heavy between them, Nicholas gets pissed that he’s just a fuckboy in Sue Ellen's life, they argue, she exits. I guess they want to make sure we get it. I wonder how many times total they’ll have the same scene.

There’s some sad stuff with Cliff’s party and no one bothering to show up. Ridiculous as the writing has often been for Cliff, it’s moments like these that can really make you feel for him.

Ray says something disgusting to Jenna like, "we’ll grow old in this bed," as if that’s not creepy and unpleasant. But at least Jenna is trying to convince Bobby to put the past behind them. Maybe being in each other’s orbit again will bring some drama.

It seems threats of rape cannot deter Kimberly Cryder, who is still determined to marry J.R. Having decided that he would rather die than marry Kimberly – or, at the very least, blackmail somebody – J.R. tells April to get her hands on more Weststar stock or Bobby will find out they have slept together. Oh, please tell him, please!

DDD

• Like Like x 5
  13. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Great and very funny reviews ("seasoned" with some great comments from all the rest of you)! :spinning:

I've enjoyed this trip down memory lane! :) Thanks for reminding me why I never bothered buying the DVD's for the seasons with double digits! What a waste of money that would have been! ;) :hair: ;)

Please keep the reviews coming, JROG !!! :yep:

• Like Like x 2
  14. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,790
    Medals:
    EPISODE 19: THE BEST LAID PLANS

Yep, the season is definitely on the upswing, although not cured completely of that boredom and inertia that’s crept in. Interestingly, the episode opens with a sad two-person breakfast, in which Miss Ellie laments the Southfork breakfasts of yore. The show is recognizing how broken down the family is but weirdly enough it doesn’t appear willing to mend the problem.

To my surprise, now that it seems the threat of a Laurel/Clayton affair is gone, I am enjoying the story. Laurel is proving herself quite the lovely person by encouraging Clayton to not give up on life just yet. To that end, Clayton decides to get back into the refinery business and Laurel gives him a friendly kiss, which is witnessed by Miss Ellie (Mavis in the background!). This was unexpected! Surprisingly, Miss Ellie doesn’t make a scene – she doesn’t even tell Clayton what she saw. I wonder where they’ll go with this. Meanwhile, Laurel seems to have a rat-like ex who is stalking her all the way from England. Oh, is Laurel going to have to call, like Sue Ellen before her, the 1-800-Papa-Bear hotline?

Oh, thank God, it seems that Casey is only with Sly to pump her for info. I hope she’s not dumb enough to actually fall for it.

Speaking of dumb, April didn’t believe J.R. when he told her that Bobby would never be with a woman J.R.’s slept with, and has been delaying. It’s only after April brings up the delectable Holly Harwood, at J.R.’s suggestion, that Bobby explains his no-J.R.-castoffs rule: "Anything he touches, he fouls." Ouch, that must have hurt. The really crazy part is that April then barges into J.R.’s office and acts like a victim. Bitch, please! Man, they are laying this thick with her, aren’t they? At least April has the second funniest line of the episode: "And when do you say 'trust me'?" she sarcastically asks J.R.

Charlie can’t get that Brad Pitt peen, so she goes complaining to Bobby. Bobby interfering with Ray’s parenting, of course, goes exactly how you’d think it would. "Why are you such a bratty slut?" Jenna asks Charlie later. Well, OK, not exactly, but you get the point.

"Lisa Alden's gone and the trial is off and Chriscries is safe!" Paul Morgan tells Bobby. Which of course means Lisa Alden is in a pink hat at a bowling alley somewhere, watching.

There’s also this very effective little scene at the OBC where Jordan Lee tries to apologize to Cliff for not attending his party. He appears genuine when he says he was sick but an insulted Cliff isn’t having any of it. It nicely illustrates how hurt Cliff was and the fact that, so often, he is his own worst enemy.

J.R.’s takeover of Weststar continues to provide much dramatic meat, and is fun to boot. Prepare to be surprised because, after their argument last week, Nicholas goes to Sue Ellen's office to apologize to her. Stunned, aren’t you? They discuss the takeover before Sue Ellen conveniently brings John Ross for a tour of her office so that he can tell her that J.R. plans to get Ewing Oil back. Sue Ellen runs to tell Bobby, who’s also planning to get Ewing Oil back, and they deliciously form an alliance against J.R. "Are you getting a divorce?" Bobby asks. "Of course not!" Sue Ellen says in the episode’s funniest moment.

Speaking of funny, Sue Ellen generally delivers in this episode a lot of funny and a lot of fun. After J.R. and Kimberly arrange it so, Sue Ellen catches them in bed. At this point, to do this scene seriously would be a joke, so the show wisely self-parodies in a way that works. Sue Ellen makes the appropriate shocked reactions, J.R. plays his part, and Sue Ellen runs off (I won’t comment on how wildly insane it is for J.R. to do this to Sue Ellen again, considering what happened the last time she caught him in bed with another woman). Amusingly, Sue Ellen bursts into laughter as soon as she arrives at Loverboy Nick’s, and tells him she’s available for some mafia loving All. Night. Long. The next evening, Sue Ellen delivers a great ending scene: Linda Gray looks like a million bucks when she tells J.R. that she’s not giving him a divorce – instead, she’s moving across the hall! There is a strong sense of been-there, seen-that about it all, but at least the show acknowledges it, and it is just so much fun!

DDD

• Like Like x 6
  15. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    In a way, this season was interesting because even though it was not what I would exactly call good, it was the last season of Dallas that seemed to follow a mostly normal formula with business and stuff. I don't WHAT happened in the writers' minds once they reached the next season!

Lisa is going, going, gone! Thank god! The Nicholas stuff is somewhat hilarious at this point. April is actually serving a purpose in this episode. Sort of. I just don't get why the other characters even bothered to give her the time of day!

• Like Like x 3
  16. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,804
    After reading some of these critiques I now realize how much I began to drift from Dallas. It really had lost its spark. The very thought of Ray and Jenna together was just icky. At times I felt like I was watching some Dallas Parallel Universe story. The strong story arcs had gone.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    Giving Jenna to Ray was stupid. It was like the writers' didn't believe it themselves, but they did it because they felt Jenna HAD to be with someone, for some reason. After Jack was gone, it was like they just used Ray out of desperation since they were running out of guys. But why did Jenna have to be with anyone at all? Why not just leave her single?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +632
    Yes, so many funny lines :giggle:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Sue Ellen rocks in this episode! :girl::girl::girl:

She puts JR in his place! :bravo: And he's not liking it one little bit! :giggle:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,005
    Medals:
    Hate this :( It was the beginning of the end of Dallas - once Sue Ellen and JR were parted permanently. Stupid writers. So much potential wasted.

• Like Like x 1