Watching Season 11 (DVD) for the First Time

Discussion in 'Dallas Season Reviews' started by JROG, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,559
    Medals:
    For me, the saving grace of this season was J.R. and Sue Ellen's marital breakdown and how it intersected with the WestStar takeover attempt. Also, that Dave continued to appear. But Casey, Lisa, and Nick belong in the cellar with April and Angelica Nero. :lol:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,862
    Medals:
    if only Bobby had stuck to it. :scream: No sloppy JR seconds

and yes the opening scene at SF just about summed up the show by then (only it did get worse) fewer and fewer original cast left at he old SF breakfast table

• Like Like x 3
  3. Ms Southworth

Ms Southworth Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    Oh yes, if only Bobby had followed through and stayed true to his ethics! :bang:

The Ewing family broke apart and never recovered! :brick: The barnes clan as well! :( It was all quite sad! :rip:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    You see ... we agree that Dallas sucked at this point! :cooler:
    (even though I loved seeing a strong Sue Ellen with a will of her own! ;))

All the things that made Dallas DALLAS were either already gone or on the verge of being "eliminated" or erased! :hair:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Couldn't agree more!:scream:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,805
    One wheel fell off the wagon over the Donna Reed debacle. The second fell off over the "Dream Season." The third and fourth wheels fell off spontaneously when Pam crashes into that tanker :lolo:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Medals:
    Once the Golden Couple were separated and fighting like this, it was gone. It maybe wasn't apparent immediately but JR's character goes into complete decline and the show was never the same again. I can't really bear to watch these scenes. I love of course seeing Sue Ellen strong and not returning to the bottle but the wasted potential here was unbelievable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ms Southworth

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,611
    AMEN !!! :bravo:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    Medals:
    Thank you. The whole direction the storyline took makes me want to rip my head off, boil and eat it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Alexia

Alexia Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +563
    So true!! JR had always been larger than life, but he became a caricature of himself in those later seasons!!!!:a2:

• Like Like x 5
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,805
    Such an odd thing for the writers to do. I could understand JR's deterioration if there was justification for it, for example; if he had taken a huge gamble on a deal and it left him no choice but to declare himself bankrupt. The writers however thought it necessary to bring in unwarranted characters that had JR's measure. In the early days he would have chewed them up and spat them out. Sad to see a giant become a shell of himself.

• Like Like x 4
  12. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,791
    Medals:
    EPISODE 20: FARLOW'S FOLLIES

Written by a secretary and directed by a cowboy. Not bad!

This episode is such a lovely showcase for Miss Ellie. There’s something so true to her not immediately going off on Clayton, but instead retreating into silence, attempting to not act, but then realizing she must do something. Of course, this leads to seeing her husband with a pretty young thing for the second time. It was such an unexpected move to have Miss Ellie go on a drinking binge which, of all people, Sue Ellen must deal with. I loved that they brought those two characters together (since they never have enough interaction), especially considering Sue Ellen's history, and it has given Miss Ellie some meaty material to work with. I like that the formerly tough lady of Southfork has mellowed a little 11 years in but still has the ability to go apeshit on you when it’s called for. And we get a Mavis sighting! Clayton later informs Miss Ellie he’s going away on business. He’s telling the truth but, from her point of view, he’s just clearing up time to be with his mistress. It’s thrilling stuff.

More character interaction comes when Sue Ellen visits Cliff. Kercheval plays to the history of the characters very nicely (to be fair, the script does so as well). Cliff is introduced to Nicholas (this time, the scriptwriter actually bothers to mention they saw each other at the barbecue, unlike when Bobby met Nicholas and had no idea). Sue Ellen and Nicholas learn that J.R. is blackmailing Cliff into working with him. Cliff offers Sue Ellen and Nicholas a drink – Gray’s reaction here is hilarious yet subtle.

Charlie sucks up to Ray just enough to get Brad Pitt to make another appearance on the show, for which we thank her. Ray then makes up with Bobby, who begins the scene telling Ray he didn’t know what to do when Charlie came to him for help and then ends the scene by saying he knows what to do when Charlie comes to him for help – so why didn’t ya do it in the first place? Oh, drama.

Back in Season 4, Bobby's ascension in politics was quick and way too easy. Now, all it takes him is barely a couple of minutes to convince a bunch of US senators to support his effort to get the Ewing Oil name back (to be fair, he essentially bribes them, so that helps). In the process, he meets an associate of Dowling’s, beautiful Kay Lloyd, who propositions him. Considering what happened with Tammy 10 episodes ago, I thought Bobby was going to take her right there in the limousine but, boringly, he does not. Meanwhile, it seems Dowling has been banished just like Donna and, earlier in the season, Jeremy Wendell. All these characters inexplicably replaced by associates and assistants. It’s such a missed opportunity not to bring Donna and Bobby together for dinner, even for one scene, to catch us up on Donna's life.

Sly finally gets a clue after the 300th time Casey pumps her for information on J.R.’s business, but then he presses his dick against her and tells her she’s pretty, so all is forgotten.

The show makes a point of having David ask Clayton for a loan and then hiding it from Laurel. I don’t know if this is just to fill time or if it’s leading somewhere.

April confesses to Bobby that she’s slept with J.R. It’s not a bad strategic move, although the show attempts to position April both as an unfortunate victim and a calculating vixen that’s sorta good-hearted. I like the second version of April more, like when she slowly makes her way out of the apartment hoping Bobby will run after her and declare his love dramatically. Both versions seriously contradict each other. Make up your mind, show. April returns to her condo later to find it broken into and ransacked. Oh, this is interesting, and I bet it’s because she put her big, fat, scheming nose into Nicholas Pearce's business. It reminds me of the very interesting breaking in at Alexis Morrell Carrington Colby Dexter Rowan’s place back in Season 4 of DYNASTY this time, although that amounted to absolutely nothing. I hope this is not the case here.

Bobby learns that the custody hearing for Christopher is back on! Good.

J.R. gets Sly to dump some of the Weststar stock to cause a fall in the market or whatever. He then visits Dr. Styles to blackmail his way into running Weststar instead of marrying his way into it. "You’ve never dealt with J.R. Ewing," he confidently says. A few years back, boy, that would have meant something. This time… who knows? I hope Sue Ellen stops it!

DDD

• Like Like x 6
  13. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,559
    Medals:
    I know she has her fans, but I always found Kay to be hopelessly transparent. Like, as soon as she sees Bobby for the first time, she is undressing him with her eyes. But since April desperately wants him as well, that's probably the entire point. A little subtlety goes a long way. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  14. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,791
    Medals:
    Without a doubt. It was particularly painful that she was sent as a representative to a senator at a meeting where all the men were professional and to the point, but the one woman had to immediately get a horny look on her face and they made it all about that. I didn't mind the attempted seduction in the limo but the meeting scenes should have at least had some subtlety. It's not as if we didn't know the good-looking woman would want the Bobster. That wasn't exactly a surprise.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,862
    Medals:
    nice review @JROG - i enjoyed this epiosde (if we could only edit all the April/SJW scenes out)

• Like Like x 5
  16. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,482
    The scene with Miss Ellie going on a drinking binge: WTH? Seriously! There was absolutely no proof that Clayton was doing anything that wasn't purely platonic with Laurel! Making Miss Ellie jump to conclusions and drink like that just made her look like some pathetic teenage drama queen! The Miss Ellie we knew would have talked to Clayton, or even Laurel herself like she did with Julie Grey back in season 2 (dvd).

While I suppose Kay Lloyd wasn't as bad as Bobby's other toys, she still bored me. The scene where she takes off her glasses is so tacky and looks like something you would see in a cartoon. It was like, "Oh, look at me! I'm not really a shy little mouse! I'm sexy without my glasses!" Pure garbage.

I personally don't see how Sly (or any other woman) was so fascinated with the hideously boring Casey Default. You would think that Sly would be on to the whole information gathering scheme after what she did with Cliff in season 7 (dvd).

Randy, Brad Pitt, whoever he is, please just take Charlie away and don't let her come back!

So I'm supposed to feel sympathy for the annoying as heck April that she may have lost her chance to be Bobby's boy-toy because she got it on with JR already? And not feel sorry for the awesome and much more interesting Katherine Wentworth when she got her heart stomped on by Bobby when this same situation played out back in season 7 (dvd)? Yeah, right! Nice try, Dallas!

• Like Like x 3
  17. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,791
    Medals:
    EPISODE 21: MALICE IN DALLAS

Thanks to Nicholas, April finally becomes a little interesting: She realizes the Private Investigator she so nicely pressured into continuing the investigation despite his warnings has been killed. At this point, she thankfully limits her stupidity and goes straight to Nicholas to tell him the truth. "I wanna beat the living daylights outta you!" he says amusingly (or something like that). I was hoping he’d let her die, but instead instructs her to go into hiding. Maybe he’ll beat her in the next episode. He takes off to see his amusing parents, who of course are so concerned about their son, they refuse to change their identities a second time … prompting Nicholas to say he only has one way out of this, then.

J.R. is at his malevolent best when Kimberly marches into his office to threaten him. He seems almost unhinged when he implies that Kimberly is overstepping her bounds simply because she’s a woman. His entire point is that he’s the man and automatically he’s in control. It’s refreshing and utterly interesting to see J.R. written so honestly as a malicious misogynist. Out of the blue, Sly decides to confess dating Casey. While it’s slightly improbable that J.R. wouldn’t know about this, I like that he seems to enjoy Casey's incessant efforts to screw him over – respecting his hustle and ambition, if not his intended results. Meanwhile, the Kimberly and Casey stories nicely cross paths when Kimberly meets with Casey and offers him rewards for his help. I love that she ordered champagne without a single concern whether Casey would be able to afford it. Posh bitch.

The best scene of the episode belongs to that wonderful two-hander between Miss Ellie and Mavis. Mavis has always been the rarely-seen friend of our beloved Miss Ellie but this season has surprisingly featured her probably more than all other seasons combined, and she finally gets her reward for all the years of support and friendship. When Miss Ellie admits that she thinks Clayton is cheating on her, Mavis offers the devastating revelation that Punk was cheating on her too, until he finally came to his senses. By tying the beginning of the affair to Jock’s death back in Season 5, the revelation acquires additional emotional depth, and takes its place in the larger context and fabric of the show. It’s an excellent example of deep female friendship and connection on a show that didn’t often have the time for such things and, on top of it all, is scored nicely. I cried. I guess getting rid of beloved characters can have its surprisingly positive side-effects, since I can’t see this happening if the show was still as busy as it used to be. Now when does Sly offer her shocking, devastating revelation?

Miss Ellie decides to take off for a while. To my utter surprise, they did some exterior filming at a beach somewhere. Galveston this is not, but not too bad. Meanwhile, the Plant Lady continues to be harassed by her ex, while David the future Bold and Beautiful guy goes to Clayton for more money. I suppose Clayton's very sweet to keep bankrolling David like it’s nothing, until David insinuates that he’s sorta, kinda blackmailing him over his connection with Laurel. Why shit on the golden egg-laying goose, David?

Ray and Jenna bitch and moan about Charlie's school grades. "She is testing uuuuuus!" they proclaim dramatically. Shut the f*** up.

Sue Ellen takes a backseat in this episode as J.R. and Bobby bicker over Lisa Alden and her claim to Christopher. J.R. promises to find a way to stop Lisa and puts Harry McSween on the job, but it amounts to nothing. The last 10 minutes of the episode are comprised of the custody hearing which is full of flashbacks. That was fun, even for me, since I haven’t rewatched most of that story, but those Season 4 and 5 flashbacks must have been a lot of fun back then. It’s like when the current soaps decide to trudge out some ancient flashbacks from episodes that aren’t available and viewers haven’t seen in decades – it’s definitely a treat. In the end, it’s all wrapped up too nicely and quickly, especially that icky "I was going to give custody to your father anyway" statement by the Judge – if it was this obvious and easy, then what was the point of a season-long custody battle?

DDD

• Like Like x 5
  18. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,862
    Medals:
    Lovely review @JROG and no surprises here but its also my fav scene and always a bonus to see loyal Ewing friend Mavis. Think it was filmed near Santa Monica bt away from the Pier end where she and Clayton skimmed stones and fed the birds

nah, no never, just annoying pure and simple and hammy with it! one to FWD at all times

oh if only :p

• Like Like x 3
  19. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,805
    Gee, I had really zoned out of Dallas by the time this garbage came along. How could a "must watch" TV Series get it so wrong after those first several seasons. Some of this story and character traits is straight out of some parallel universe.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,559
    Medals:
    That must be why Rick shot him--David/Grant told him he'd already spent Clayton's limited blackmail funds. :lol:

I don't want to sound...stupid...here, but did Charlie ever make it past the age of thirteen? Is she at least fourteen in this season?

It's possible--even probable--that they were euthanizing the story to put it out of its misery.

• Like Like x 2