Watching Season 11 (DVD) for the First Time

Discussion in 'Dallas Season Reviews' started by JROG, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Great (as usual) review JROG! Has the Jennaskank already
    Register or to view Spoiler content!
    her skankdaughter? It was Prissy´s best scene, echoing the wishes of all of us!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    I had a feeling it was something like that. It looked like a location KL would be/had been at.

In my defense, I did say a 'little' LOL I'm sure she'll go back to being annoying pretty soon.

Mystery solved!

Honestly, they might have mentioned her age, but I don't recall. In any case, she'd be annoying at any age!

Yeah, much like Ray's euthanasia, once it was time for the trial, they quickly wrapped it up.

Oh, yes she did, a few episodes ago, and it was glorious. I still smile when I think about it!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    Oh, paraphrasing good ol´JR: "Even Gandhi would have applauded!"

• Like Like x 2
  4. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,453
    The episode title, and most of the episode itself, makes me cringe.

I hated the Plant Lady stuff when it became all about her stupid friends.

Charlie was not just testing Jenna and Ray, she was testing ME! Get off the show already! Please!

April is nosy again, and just proves that she does not have a life.

I really liked the Mavis and Miss Ellie stuff. Turns out Punk really lived up to his name, huh?

The JR and Kimberly stuff was kind of interesting, but at the same time, I felt like it wasn't really going anywhere.

The flashbacks with Bobby and Christopher just made me nostalgic for what Dallas used to be, but at least the Lisa Alden thing FINALLY is over.

5. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    EPISODE 22: CRIME STORY

Mysterious Woman Lisa Alden, once a mysterious woman with evil on her mind, has been beaten and broken by the Ewings. She begs and grovels at the feet of almighty Bobby Ewing before giving Chriscries a tearful goodbye hug and leaving town forever. I presume for good, but she’s left before.

Bobby heads to Washington, where the character’s history is put to good use as he charms a politician and then discusses his Season 4 insta-turn as a senator. To accommodate his flirtation with Kay Lloyd, Bobby says things like, "power is an aphrodisiac," apparently having decided to sleep with her. I love this new slutty Bobby. Kay turns him down. He then meets April, who does that thing again where she tells Bobby that he’s still in love with Pam, and manages to make it sound like an accusation rather than a perfectly normal thing. Bobby gets to do some rejection of his own, though, when he tells April he’s not interested. Oh, that was satisfying. If only it would last.

Speaking of April, she puts on a leather parade as she sits around in a hotel room/her apartment worrying about Nicholas in a variety of leather outfits – gee, it’s like the costume department decided they had a theme for this episode! Nicholas finally calls to tell her he’s coming back. Meanwhile, Mama and Papa Lombardi are … going into hiding again? Might not see their son for a few more years? I don’t know, it’s all a bit unclear and confusing, since Papa Lombardi clearly said they wouldn’t be changing their identity again. Nicholas tells April in no uncertain terms that she is to direct the thugs to him, but the bitch is too dumb to get it.

Why do we have to suffer through a scene exclusively with Brett and Laurel? Why are these people important? Why should we care? Brett does have a funny line, however, when he says [Americans] "hardly speak our language." That was some fantastic shade, but the two of them with their accents were highly annoying.

Miss Ellie makes one appearance to tell Clayton she’s visiting Lucy in Atlanta. With nothing better to do, Clayton meets David, who has decided being coy and subtle is tiresome and outright blackmails Clayton for $50,000. Hilariously, Clayton slaps the shit out of him (and it’s a backhand slap too, ooooh how I love a good backhand slap) and sends him flying. Next stop, Plant Lady Central, where Clayton asks her if she was in on it with David. It would be great if she is – she’s so boring otherwise!

There’s even more fantastic stuff for Sue Ellen here. "How’s the center of my universe tonight?" she asks J.R. when he stops by her bedroom. When J.R. once more tries to get her to leave him, Sue Ellen reveals she knows he’s after Kimberly and Weststar and plans to divorce him never. It’s a scene that wouldn’t be out of place in the fantastic seasons 6 or 7 as Sue Ellen sarcastically calls J.R. "love of my life" and her response to J.R.’s "I love my company and my son" is "in that order!" When Kimberly shows up at Sue Ellen's office to convince her to divorce J.R., she gets an equally sarcastic and gleeful response. It’s great, but it means Sue Ellen's had too much success in this episode – cue Nicholas telling her he has to disappear for a while. It’s great soap.

In a great little surprise, Casey visits J.R. and reveals that Kimberly approached him. "Fυck her," J.R. says, "and keep fυcking Sly, if you want, but secretly." Oh, don’t you just love it?!

What is impossible to love is the hell of a storyline Ray, Jenna, and Charlie are trapped in. It’s really hard to believe that for half a season now, the best they could come up with for Ray to deal with is whether Charlie's got good grades or if Brad Pitt’s giving her the peen. It really doesn’t help that Priscilla Boaubealoo Presley keeps acting these everyday, ‘realistic’ problems with the outmost soapy melodrama that she can. There’s a huge disconnect between the material and the delivery. Is she trying to make it more interesting? It only makes her come off badly.

J.R. nags April into agreeing to sell her Weststar shares, and then blackmails Cliff into holding on to his. I can’t pretend to be sure why he’s doing all this, but it’s fun.

And then the writers hit us with two snoozeworthy scenes to end the episode. It’s bad enough that the entire hour has been filled with awful, dead, 80s musak-like score, we learn Charlie tried to sneak out and has been caught!!!!111. Oh, no! "We have to take a long, hard look at what’s happening here," Jenna mutters dramatically. I wish the writers would too. Maybe they did, and that’s why they kicked them all out. And after that little nugget, April returns to her apartment and is approached by two thugs. Instead of doing what the fυck Nicholas fυcking told her to fυcking do, she tries to run, so what’s a thug to do? He grabs her. The frame freezes, to my surprise, because I certainly didn’t see anything worthy of a cliffhanger here. Kill her, thugs!

DDD

• Like Like x 6
  6. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    ah if only..................... Roll on Paris!

she is more wooden than the Bonsais and yes Im british and i agree her voice was a flat monotone and dull!
    ah if only............Roll on Paris - I will pay for her ticket, she is possbly my most disliked character on Dallas and i never understood why Katzman lapped her up and she was taken into the fold! Wonder what she had on him!! lol It wasnt any acting talent thats for sure.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    April was obsessed with Bobbys feelings for Pam it was so pathetic to see.

In a strange way Sheree seems obsessed with Victoria aswell I've read lots of shady quotes about Victoria from her even though she barely interacted with her.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    I agree with you Clubsoda! Only for the way she hung on poor Duffster´s arm when they took the TV Land award a few years ago...I wonder if they asked VP to join them...I´m sure most people in the audience thought "Who is da blonde next to Bobby?"

[​IMG]
    PS: I wonder if there was one more award for VP but they had to send Charlene to give it to her. Probably she said: "If it isn´t mellon-scented, I´m not interested."

• Like Like x 3
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,564
    As I continue to read these brilliant critiques the more I'm inclined NOT to purchase the remaining Dallas seasons. Lord (as my head looks towards the heavens) how the hell did the writers allow this sh%t to go to air? Just sad.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,316
    And here we thought Ray had pulled the plug on that storyline. Dammit...

It's hard to believe that April was ever smart enough to wrangle five percent of Jack's ten percent of Ewing Oil for herself. Especially this version of April who has nothing to do but whine and be stupid.

It's punishment for continuing to watch. :lol:

Uh-oh. Whenever Miss Ellie leaves town, someone gets shot or drowns in the pool or kidnapped or murdered or...

The only good storyline in this wasteland of a season. :oops:

I only love Casey when he's off my screen.

Where is Angelica Nero with her hatpin when you need it?

Yeah, John Parker's music does little to enhance the show at this point. It's like they're trying to recapture the lost glory of pre-dream DALLAS.

Paging Susan Lucci...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,453
    It looks like Lisa is going, going, gone. Thank god.

Kay Lloyd=another sparkly-eyed Bobby fangirl zombie. At least for me, that is. I hate this new slutty Bobby. But I also hate the old goody two-shoes Bobby as well. So what am I supposed to do? Seems I can't win either way.

Except for April's involvement, I actually enjoy this whole mafia storyline with Nicholas Fierce. And I'm not even sure why.

I liked Plant Lady and Clayton's storyline when it was just about him getting comfort about his midlife crisis. But all of this crap with Laurel's "friends" has officially flushed it down the toilet for me. Please leave!

Sue Ellen's refusal to divorce JR is hilariously ironic when you look back at the times when he was so desperate to stay married to her. Ain't payback a b****, JR?

Ray, Jenna, and Charlie's storyline: Zzzzz

• Like Like x 3
  12. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    EPISODE 23: TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

April tells the thugs (Al and Eddie, I think) what Joe Lombardi's new identity and address is. They take her to a hotel room to be watched over by a sandwich-eating mafia caricature, and then thankfully she fυcks off for the rest of the episode.

Problematic as this season is, you still get a twinge of anxiety when J.R. asks Sly to call Ray – the show may have undergone massive changes, but some of the character dynamics remain, and when J.R. is calling Ray, you know it can’t possibly be good. The scene doesn’t disappoint: J.R. asks Ray for help in getting Ewing Oil back. When Ray refuses, things like ‘half-breed’ are said.

It’s the only exciting thing Ray does this episode – not to mention in ages. Soon, he’s back to the House of Non-Drama, where he and his increasingly corpse-like wife tell the Brad Pitt peen obsessed Charlie that she’s fυcking off to Switzerland because she’s been an insufferable brat for several seasons now. Being the wishy-washy bitch we all know her to be, Jenna almost changes her mind, before deciding to accompany Charlie to Switzerland. Well, at least she’s right about the connection they have had as mother-daughter. "You will miss me like crazy!" Jenna jokes. No, we won’t.

Cliff calls Jackie to tell her he’s taking the episode off.

I have to admit, the stuff with Casey and Sly was sweet. I don’t necessarily care for either one or them (although I’m invested in Casey's arc), but they have done a good job giving motivation behind Casey's ambition. Sly’s advice for Casey to hold onto the suite he’s renting was touching.

Kay Lloyd, being the tease that she is, gets Bobby to play tour guide for the day when she comes to Dallas, but then refuses to sex him down. There’s something sad and pathetic about Bobby nearly begging her to sleep with him. There are some interesting conclusions one can come to about Bobby here. He could be a broken Bobby who is much less the conqueror he used to be and is trying to find comfort in sex. Unfortunately,the execution of the show is not what it used to be, so I don’t know if that’s the intention. This very well could just be a story about Bobby chasing after Kay until he convinces her to have sex with him, the end.

As J.R.’s plan is starting to reach a boiling point (I hope), Kimberly is worried to find her creepy father working hard to save Weststar. I hope he dies – all good central storylines on a soap must claim a life or two.

Nicholas’ plan to get rid of the mafia turns out to be a lot of fun. I rolled my eyes at the couple and their baby acting as if they’ve lived in the Lombardi house for months following a tragic car accident, but thankfully Nicholas covered it from all angles and the show didn’t try to pretend this would be enough. Watching him on his knees, fake-crying over the grave and checking to see if he’s convinced them, was so audacious and amusing.

Miss Ellie returns from visiting Lucy, ready to fυck some shit up. She goes to Clayton's office and tells him she’s seen him with the Plant Lady (completely absent from this episode!). Clayton says he hasn’t slept with her and insists it’s over (when? Last week he merely visited her to ask if she was in on David's blackmail. If this is true, we’re certainly not privy to it). The scene takes an unexpected turn when Miss Ellie asks Clayton to go home and pack his things. And we freezeframe! I certainly was not expecting Miss Ellie to get the episode-ender. I will cherish this, because there might not be any more.

DDD

• Like Like x 5
  13. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,316
    THE GODFATHER this ain't.

You know J.R. is desperate when he's asking Ray for help...

Amen. Her best episodes are always the ones in which she doesn't appear.

Lucky guy.

Sad but true.

Not poor Dr. Styles! :p

I think I remember this, perhaps only because of the cemetery scene.

With apologies to Larry Hagman, all freeze frames should feature Miss Ellie :)

• Like Like x 4
  14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,794
    Melon scented award!!! :lolo::lolo::lolo::lolo::lolo:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    Not a fav episode but glad to see BBG returned from a deserted beach, tear a strip of Clayton and get a freeze frame too

I'm with you @Ray&Donna lol

The Mafia plot line left me cold, like who cares not me?

Not a fan of the rictus grinning casey either

And always thought John Ross and Chris were a little ungrateful wanting to see their presents lol and grandma had hardly got her foot out of the taxi

• Like Like x 3
  16. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    EPISODE 24: DEAD RECKONING

Welp. It seems April's kidnapper didn’t kill her, despite her being so annoying that nobody would blame him if he snapped her neck. Thank God Nicholas tore her a new one when she continued to not get the hint. Although we didn’t necessarily need to see it, Nicholas goes around tying up some of his grand charade’s loose ends but doesn’t neglect sending Sue Ellen flowers by way of apology for being a douche. A shame Sue Ellen didn’t have much to do in these past couple of episodes since her love interest was busy.

Jenna can’t resist being annoying up to the very last second she’s on screen. They’ve made her so wishy-washy in an attempt to generate drama, but it takes a much more skilled actress than Bamboom Presley to make that work. Things get so much better once Jenna and Charlie are off our screens. Ray stops by the side of the road to be all manly and cowboyish to a woman named Connie who has a flat tire. Is this too much of a coincidence or have I been watching too much soap? I’m spinning conspiracies in my mind! Regardless, I like this story much more than all of Ray & Jenna already.

Boy did this Cliff and pills thing come out of the blue or what? Last episode he’s seen taking pills for the first time, now suddenly he has a strong dependency and is running around town begging for them. Come again? I’m all for Cliff developing substance abuse like his daddy, if the show was going to do it seriously, but it doesn’t appear like they are. The most hilarious part is everyone talking about how erratic Cliff has been acting lately… when Kercheval's been playing Cliff like that for years!

Casey stops by J.R.’s office to get his newest set of orders, when things turn really stupid: J.R. very directly, and cruelly, tells Casey that he sold his father property that was utterly useless and then laughs in his face. What possible reason could J.R. have to be quite so horrible to Casey when he’s still using him? Oh, I know! It’s because, dramatically, Casey now needs a reason to start messing with J.R. It’s shoddy writing. The answer to Casey's prayer is… Cliff! While Casey's dining with Sly, Cliff comes over and the two finally meet. It’s very intriguing, but too bad they didn’t set it up better.

"Give my regards to your brother!" Cliff tells Sly before he goes, in what is possibly the best moment of the episode. What great use of history.

The news of Clayton and Miss Ellie's separation spreads. Surprisingly, Miss Ellie receives a call from David, who tells her Clayton and Plant Lady slept together, but we don’t actually get to see that onscreen. Bobby reaches out to Clayton to find out what’s going on and Clayton starts throwing all kinds of subtle hints: We’re about to have a body on our hands! Indeed, after Clayton visits David and beats the hell out of him (LOL! I mean, come on… Clayton's a big man but David's the same size and several decades younger), David turns out dead. Wow. Before this episode, I never would have thought this would be the direction the story took. My money’s on the Annoying British Lad.

DDD

• Like Like x 4
  17. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,316
    Sue Ellen is getting to have more to do, thankfully.

Ray's story arc--silly but a million times better than anything involving the Gruesome Twosome--is lifted somewhat from a big hit movie that was released the previous year. DALLAS will employ this method of storytelling at least twice, if not more, before the series ends.

Easily the worst story in which Cliff was ever placed.

Casey, go back to Oklahoma. And get sucked up in a twister. :p

Haha! "I might get sick afterward..."

I suppose in this scenario, David is Julie Grey...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Barbara Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,093
    pity that - we can dream

they have indeed

lol brits should keep well away from Dallas - wooden top plant lady sucked as an actress, really cringeworthy, the plansts were better!!

• Like Like x 3
  19. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    Good to know! Should be interesting lol

Oh, boy.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,235
    I wish I knew how to multiquote but I don´t. I just want to nominate (if I may) this post and its very witty author JROG for the Best Post of the Year Award. Thank God I wasn´t eating or drinking when I read it...

upload_2017-6-26_21-57-8.jpeg

Even Darius seemed to like it!!​

• Like Like x 3