Watching Season 12 (DVD) for the First Time

Discussion in 'Dallas Season Reviews' started by JROG, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Ray&Donna

Ray&Donna Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,373

You mean you didn't find Bobby as Bond (or Rambo!) to be the most thrilling part of the entire range war? Just kidding, of course.

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,373
    HA HA HA! Yes!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,373
    Yes, using Wendell as a scapegoat for the range war was definitely a huge mistake. Aside from Angela Channing, I can't think of a more potent villain in primetime! Perhaps it's because Wendell has no internal life; we only ever see him scheming or *cringes* playing tennis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    EPISODE 12: THE SWITCH

"The Switch" is a good follow-up to last week’s surprisingly decent installment. To my (admittedly, huge) surprise, we start off with a nicely written April/J.R. scene. The sad thing is, the fun material is being let down by Wilson, who just can’t pull it off.

Much of the episode revolves around Cally's arrival at Southfork, which for once is not as bad as it sounds. After the show swiftly gets rid of Clayton and Miss Ellie (they’re away in Europe), it actually devotes time to developing the dynamics the new Mrs. Ewing will have with the Ewing children. It’s no surprise John Ross will hardly allow Cally to talk to him, but Christopher reaching out to her turns out to be quite touching thanks to the loss of his own mother, and to the actor’s cuteness. The two becomes buddies.

Cally also reaches out to Sue Ellen to apologize for calling her a booze-guzzling, cock-swallowing whore. Interestingly, it goes well. The two form a connection and, hilariously, Sue Ellen gives her some advice on how to handle J.R.’s sick need for the chase. Bless her dumb little heart, Cally does just as she’s advised and has J.R. drooling right outside her door.

Cliff manages to destroy his life once again when he questions the sincerity of Tammy's devotion to him. By the time he speaks with Bobby (a sweet scene in which Bobby gives him a hot dog) and realizes he made a mistake, Tammy backs off from the relationship and leaves him. That’s a shame: I was starting to like her.

I love bitchy Sue Ellen on a mission! She buys a Dallas studio and plans a movie about romance, love, betrayal, and all that crap. It’s all the show will share, but it’s effective in building up anticipation of what she’s planning.

The ending comes really out of the blue: After unceremoniously sweeping Nicholas’ mangled corpse under the rug, it seems they’ve decided they need him for storyline purposes. Therefore, J.R. finds out Nicholas’ daddy is coming to town… for revenge! I don’t know how the detective would find that out, but OK, I’ll roll with it.

@Barbara Fan @Ray&Donna @Balena @Richard Channing

• Like Like x 5
  5. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    Something felt really off when I realized they got rid of him, 1/3 into a season, when he could be a arch enemy for the rest of the series. Indeed, Curran's book tells us Smithers asked for a raise based on Larry Hagman's advice, and instead got written out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,492
    Getting rid of Wendell was a mistake, he was an excellent baddie

not a BF fav episode, Cally was more than awful, Tammy zzzzzzzzzz, and Sue Ellens movie more than dull!
    and no Momma and Clayton
    The writing is on the wall i fear!

keep them coming @JROG

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,373
    The explanation for their absence is hilarious. As if they would want to spend time with Ray and Jenna! Ray and Donna, sure.

8. Ray&Donna

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,373

HA HA! Spoiler alert, but J.R. is much nicer to Cally than he ever was to Swellin.