Watching The Colbys for the First Time

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by JROG, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Soapwriter12

Soapwriter12 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Looking forward to reading season 2

• Like Like x 4
  2. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    And, now, for the latest, newest review!

EPISODE 24: CHECKMATE

Shootings, plane crashes, falling down the stairs, arrests, rape pregnancies – THE COLBYS are not messing around. This is the season finale and, by God, you will know it! They’re giving MELROSE PLACE a run for its (plot-driven) money. It’s almost overkill, but who cares? It’s fabulous!

Fallon appears to be pregnant much longer than she anticipated. Unless she is really terrible at math (which, let’s face it…), her baby is a product of her rape from Miles! Ooooh, this is juicy! Yes, Fallon, lie about who that baby daddy is!

Zach is very fascinating in this episode. First he tells Jason that Sable never slept with him. At first glance, it appears as a plot-driven decision in order to justify Jason giving Sable the tape, but the writing seems to be implying that Zach truly has feelings for Sable. And because Sable really doesn’t need the tape to explain her affair was Jason's motivation, it works. After Zach realizes that Spiro was having nasty Bliss sex and trying to set him up, he throws him out, threatening to kill him or something.

L.A. is the land where people get out of life-ending predicaments with just a few scratches. Jeff fell down a damn cliff but didn’t even need to see a doctor. Sable gets shot in the head but the bullet barely grazes her. The only one whose injuries stuck were Connie's! Now Monica catches Neil in his swanky apartment having nasty Gail sex and cries so much that she forgets to make sure her plane has gas – and down she goes, but I bet she’ll get out of that crash with just a few pine needles stuck in her hair.

Post-surgery Sable wears an assortment of scratch-hiding turbans and learns Jason is still planning to marry Frankie (what the hell does he see in her?). "You take a bullet in your head very well," Connie notes, and then warns Sable that she is being a fool if she think she still has Jason. Claiming some random cruise with Hutch (whom she dumped half a season ago), Connie says what feels like forever goodbye and off she goes. boring Barbara Stanwyck, I’ll miss you if you never come back!

Connie was certainly right: Sable is nothing if not resilient. Following a DYNASTic tumble down the stairs, Sable is marvelously bruised but not in need of hospitalization or a doctor. Instead, she claims Jason beat her on his way to a nasty Caribbean divorce and Moretti finally has another false charge to level against the Colbys. "You’re a liar, and a cheater, and a beater and a killer!" Sable tells Jason in her best fur coat in the middle of an airport. Jason looks appropriately shocked, while Frankie seems mildly constipated, unsure whether Jason is a liar and a cheater and a beater and a killer or not. Cliffhanger!

DDD

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 6
  3. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    Thank you, all! :D We lost some great, fun discussion but let's do it again! :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    Have you watched all of The Colbys? You were still in the middle of reviews when the site crashed.

5. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    See post #22 :D

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    Apparently, these were my thoughts of the S1 finale, mostly about Zach's wallpaper and that sort of stuff:

Zach has softened a little bit, or maybe a lot. His feelings for Sable turn out to be genuine, although that thing with the dress was a bit eerie, sort of fetish-like.
    And he even wants to protect Bliss from his evil stepson.
    Anyone noticed what a fabulous apartment he has? The interior looks very rich 70s Mediterranean and I love the green and blue "palette".
    I'm not a fan of apartments as a residence, apartments is for the Mark Jenningses and Neil McVanes, but not for shipping tycoons.
    Unless it's one of those old Fifth Avenue-style apartments.
    But an ordinary flat, as we call it in Holland, isn't very chique.

I also love Sable's suite and especially her bathroom (I think the colours match Zach's living room?) but I hate the mirror with those big tacky light bulbs. That should have been a thousand mini light bulbs (producing a soft light). Or candlesticks on both sides of the mirror.

The last scene between Constance and Sable was very toned down, but it still lingers in my mind. I really liked it, I just wish it had lasted a bit longer.
    It wasn't a scene for "firework" because this time they weren't equals. Constance knows what we know, and Sable is indeed living in a fool's paradise.

Monica's plane crashes and I couldn't stop thinking about the possibility that the powers of the UFO have something to do with it.
    Maybe she should have ended up in a place where dozens of other planes had crashed before her (Peter De Vilbis?)

Miles could be the father of Fallon's unborn child. Yet another paternity storyline. *sighs* Well I guess I'll just have to go through it.

Sable teams up with Moretti (of all people!) in the final and brilliant twist.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,280
    I noticed that all those crashed planes in the Dynastyverse have the same number "N3979G".
    It's the same plane that Blake and Daniel Reece already crashed with. Isn't that creepy? :D

• Like Like x 4
  8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    Is that true?

9. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,280
    Yes. :D

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    Was there also a number on the
    Register or to view Spoiler content!

• Like Like x 1
  11. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    My thoughts exactly. I like that his feelings seem to be genuine, although he's still quite creepy, but I do hope they don't go too far with softening him. After all, he has yet to get his revenge.

A UFO conspiracy that brings Peter De Vilbis into it? That's funny!

That truly was a brilliant twist to end the season on. A cliffhanger born out of almost a whole season's worth of drama. Very KNOTSian lol

• Like Like x 1
  12. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    EPISODE 2.1: THE GATHERING STORM

"Oh." – Sable Colby, 1986

The Colbys are back, lovelies, better than ever! Even underwhelming performers like Miles and Frankie seem more relaxed, and therefore more natural.

Fresh off the thrilling season 1 twist of Sable setting Jason up for battery and attempted murder charges, we find Sable in secure mode: She believes her plan will work and it’s only a matter of time until she gets Jason back. Even Frankie's demand that she drops the charges is met with satisfied cruelty. And, then, reality starts chipping away: First Bliss, then Miles, then Jason, and finally Arthur Cates either don’t believe her or point out the plan is never going to work. There is something to be said about the conflict that would be caused if Jason's children, or at least Miles, believed Sable’s claims, but the show is not interested in dumbing down its characters for the sake of drama – instead, it creates a circumstance where the audience knows how difficult it will be for Sable to prove her accusations… and then has fun with showing her fight to do just that. "Oh," Sable says, in one of her best lines ever, when she realizes that, if this scheme of hers fails, then she will also have no more power over the divorce.

The show wastes no time setting up Miles’ next story: At a new restaurant set, The Penthouse Club, which I hope sticks around, Miles flirts across the room with a woman before trying his best Oops-the-elevator-is-stuck routine on her, which hilariously doesn’t work. The woman has a briefcase full of files on all the Colby people and she turns out to be the reporter that Sable cannot meet with. Wonderful. It’s exciting that Miles is suspicious of his run-in with Channing, who is rather funny: After calling Miles an 'elevator Casanova,' she straight out to his face says: "At last, a glimmer of intelligence." I like her. The show doesn’t explain whether she is there for revenge or if those files are part of her job. This will be fun!

Production wise, they do a great job with Monica's plane crash but the habit of having characters come out of impossible situations with barely a scratch is ridiculous. Sable fell down a few steps and was bruised all over, but Monica gets a line of dried-up blood after a plane crash?

Bliss is upset because nobody cares about her, not even her family.

Fallon frets over who is her baby daddy and gets horribly judged by her doctor when she tells her. It was a very nice touch to have Fallon ask Frankie about the Phillip/Jeff/Jason situation. I wonder if Fallon will go through with telling Jeff the truth.

To ensure that her plot against Jason works, Sable goes to Zach. After spending most of the episode off screen, Zach returns with some more of the deliciously hot yet fucked up dynamic that he shares with Sable, as he first demands her soul before undressing her. Zach's thing with dresses and undressing is almost fetishistic, and it’s great. But that’s not all – after she has given Zach her soul and her body, Zach gleefully tells Sable he is aware she’s doing all this to get Jason back – and he will not help her! What a great bastard he is!

DDD

• Like Like x 6
  13. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    I'm so glad you're enjoying yourself. And yes, Zach Powers is a Magnificent Bastard. :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    EPISODE 2: NO EXIT

Jason and Frankie are happy, happy, happy. Frankie is so happy, "more than anyone has a right to be!" – and she certainly doesn’t! It’s really not hard to sympathize with Sable’s desperation. While her actions are, to put it mildly, extreme, her husband’s mistress, her own sister, is carrying on with him openly in their very house. I mean, Frankie is just a hero. She says things like, "See how domesticated I am?" To make matters worse, nobody in Sable’s life seems to have a problem with what Jason and Frankie are doing, which only adds to Sable being driven mad. This situation – Sable peering out of windows and watching from the bushes as Jason and Frankie make out – is so rich and awesome, so fraught with soapiness. It leads to a fab confrontation between the two sisters involving a riding crop – Frankie, who was just expressing concern about the way she and Jason are acting now putting on a stubborn mask and defending herself.

I really love the Channing story. Her uncle, Lucas, arrives in town to check on Channing's progress, who doesn’t seem to realize that "Randall" is, in fact, Fallon. So ridiculous and yet so much fun! I hope they weren’t just teasing us about Channing moving into the Colby mansion for a while. And how great that Miles has been rejected twice in a row – you can tell that doesn’t happen often.

Fallon, to my surprise, tells Jeff that she was raped and her baby could be Miles’. Jeff's need to know whether he’s the father is understandable – but considering the wife he’s supposed to love just told him she could be endangering her baby with that tissue test thing, it is really quite insensitive that he would get angry when she said no. And, God, this Fallon would SO put her baby’s life at risk if a man told her to! To everyone’s surprise, Jeff respects Fallon's request not to tell Miles that he knows, although I’m sure that won’t last. And, just like that, it seems Miles and Jeff are back to hating each other again.

Dominique Deveraux, i.e. Blake's personal financier, announces that she is selling Titania Records as well as her hotel to help Blake out of his financial bind. Wow, they are taking this to a whole new level. We all know she’s only there to occasionally write Blake a check but they really aren’t allowing her any dignity or purpose of her own at all. On two shows. And why would Dominique be doing all this at this point in time? Her daughter has just been burned to a crisp. It’s really sad. Garret seems to realize he has no purpose either and convinces Jason to send him to head the office in New York. Is that it for Mr. Boydston? I guess we’ll find out! They did give him a nice farewell scene with Jason.

How wonderfully ironic when Sable changes her mind about prosecuting Jason and is told that only a plea of temporary insanity could help her – "Connie would love this!" Sable remarks, very much aware of the hilariousness of the situation. In the meantime, Barbara boring Stanwyck sends Jason a cable, firmly in off screen land.

"You framed me and my parents and my dog and my niece and my parrots," Jason accuses Zach. "There aren’t enough hours in the day to do all that framing," Zach hilariously responds. "Besides, I’m cutting down." I love that Zach gives Jason the ammunition he needs to throw Sable out of the house but, then, the Colby Curse for Quickly Curable Maladies strikes once more when Sable is on her way out: Sable passes out! Frankie is deliciously both worried and aware that Sable has just earned her ticket into staying there longer. Oh, I’m sure she’ll be fine within the next two minutes but how fun if she weren’t!

DDD

• Like Like x 7
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,902
    I've always enjoyed his performance and I thought he was perfect for the role.
    :giggle:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,407
    :laughs: :giggle: rotf :lolling:
    :rolling: :laughs: :bah::rlol::lmao::floor:

• Like Like x 2
  17. Don Howard

Don Howard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +350
    In return, he gives her his penis.

18. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    EPISODE 2.3: JASON’S CHOICE

What a wonderful time for a malady on this show to stick – and I mean that without any sarcasm at all! Sable is ordered to rest for the next week, making both Jason and Frankie feel incredibly guilty for being such horrible human beings. It also gives Sable to opportunity to go to work. She shares wonderful scenes with all three of her children in this episode: She has a quiet talk with Bliss on the staircase; the everyday act of sitting on steps and talking, even if they are the steps of a mega mansion, giving the Colbys a touch of realism. Monica is up next, hilariously mimicking Sable’s accent as she proclaims Sable’s '"Brave Little Me" number' works on Miles but not on her. A crushed Sable asks for help. Finally, mother and son run into each other at the study (deliciously, Miles has a woman ‘hidden’ in his bedroom upstairs, but dances around it) and she asks Miles if you ever get used to seeing your ex with a new lover.

Sable’s dynamics with her children are on full display here and her talks with them lead to an Alliance of the Siblings: They ask Jason to let Sable stay, at least for now. What’s really great about this is that, although Sable’s connection to her kids certainly leads to her getting what she wants, it doesn’t feel like she’s overtly manipulating things. Her pain, anguish and stress seem absolutely genuine and not just an act to get sympathy, while the connections she draws on have been there since the start of the show, adding to the richness of the situation. All this, and Sable has a terrifically nightmarish dream that manages to, psychologically, feel all too real.

Jeff has the good sense to apologize to Fallon for being too harsh and they decide to go away to some random location for a few days. Of course, if Jeff hadn’t apologized, Fallon was planning to run away again. Jesus. Miles hilariously teases Fallon about sending him a postcard about missing him (he really has become probably the second most fascinating character in the show after Sable). A fortune cookie spells doom for Jeff and Fallon. It’s really funny: Everyone and everything in the universe is telling them they’re fucked, and they’re just too thick to get it. That’s fine, I’ll sit back and watch the disaster!

Dominique agrees to sell Titania Records and her hotel to Zach, as long as she keeps Dominique’s. Zach flirts with her. Dominique and Zach?!! Whoa! It’s hilarious that the injunction is finally lifted only for Dominique to request further delay. Jason is understandably pissed that he has to babysit Blake, but Dominique does get a good zinger in: "He’s fighting a bitter, vindictive woman. I’m surprised you can’t identify with that, Jason!" It’s so accurate that even Jason has nothing to reply.

Monica really comes alive now that she’s given substantially good material. She’s furious at Dominique for thinking she could work for the man who’s trying to destroy her family and goes straight to Zach to hand in her resignation.

Channing moves into the mansion and it doesn’t take long at all for her and Miles to have sex – my God, how could anyone resist him anyway? Satisfied that she’s playing Miles like a violin, Channing struts down the Colby mansion hallway with a huge grin on her face (or maybe she was just satisfied, ya know?).

Frankie is fun as she confronts Jason about his decision to let Sable stay. I always like it when Frankie's deeply upset. She warns Jason that he will have to choose between her and Sable sooner or later. Poor Jason, always having to make choices and such.

DDD

• Like Like x 6
  19. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,644
    EPISODE 2.4: THE MATCHMAKER

Frankie is upset that Jason is allowing his current wife and mother of his children, her sister, to stay in the house she’s lived in for decades, so Jason offers to build her a new mansion. What is she to do? She forgives him, and promptly begins to take over the running of the house. Sable is suitably pissed but her attention is drawn to others matters: Notably, Channing and Miles, who she decides must get together once she finds out that Jason has set up a $10 million trust fund for Jeff and Fallon's baby (which is so delicious, since it could be Miles’!). Here is where the show takes a few leaps in the narrative that leave me confused. Just last episode, Channing moved into the Colby mansion. After making love with Miles, she manipulated him into comforting her, and played with him, complete with evil-grin-while-walking-down-the-hallway scenes. Suddenly, Channing has no issue with Miles rapily sneaking into her room, Miles wants to marry her, and Channing resents Lucas and doesn’t want to help with his plan anymore. It feels like we’ve skipped several episodes’ worth of story here. I can understand Miles’ impetuous decision to marry, especially following Sable’s conniving, but what changed Channing's motivation and behavior? As if to explain, Channing reveals that Lucas tried to share her bed once, and proclaims that Miles can take care of her – only we didn’t see her get to that point. She just… switched. That being said, the wedding in Las Vegas is on and Sable must run (OK, fly in a private jet) to stop it! It’s fun, so fυck it!

Jeff is pretty interesting here too. He can’t get Miles out of his mind (oh, the imagination runs wild!) and they get into a fight (it has been 13 episodes since their last fight, surely they were overdue), at which point Jeff almost reveals that Miles could be the father of Fallon's baby. To my utter delight, Fallon loses her shit and chews Jeff out for almost telling Miles the truth. Wow, who knew Fallon could have some strength?

The eternal injunction against Colby Enterprises is lifted, affording Miles and Jeff more opportunities to fight. It’s amusing watching Jason deal with their childish antics (mostly Miles’).

It’s also amusing watching the show come up with all kinds of excuses to get Bliss involved in story and/or to meet a new man. This time, it’s Sable’s dance academy or something, in which – holy shit – it’s Highlander himself dancing ballet! What?! Too funny for words. This is when Adrian Paul was still very skinny but, man, how handsome he is. Maybe he’ll make Bliss worth it.

All this, and dearest Monica returns to Colby Enterprises. I guess having an affair with a married man only to then crash your plane has unexpected, positive consequences on one’s career!

• Like Like x 5
  20. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,380
    Its moments like that that prove Dominique should have been a regular on THE COLBYS right from the start.

:bravo:

• Like Like x 1