Watching The Colbys for the First Time

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by JROG, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Gabriel Maxwell

Gabriel Maxwell Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,423
    I was quite appalled when a few weeks ago one of my posts over on the political board was automatically edited into "grab 'em by the kitty'.

I mean, what the hell is that? Mrs. Slocombe just wouldn't stand for it.

Common Krystle, swear! I'm dying to hear you say something foul!

• Like Like x 4
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    Keep me hard.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,077
    In the lemon kitty.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    Oh yes, over and over and over again.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    She would never!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

More interesting than most of DYNASTY.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,077
    Maybe the Carrington's were all speaking in code the whole time.

Alexis - Have I touched a nerve?

Krystle - Oh Blake.

Blake - This is going to be the biggest pipeline ever erected.

Claudia - My well is DRY?!!

• Like Like x 4
  7. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    OMG.

It all makes SENSE now.

It's not that DYNASTY was illogical... we just never got the censored double-entendres!

Until now.

• Like Like x 6
  8. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    EPISODE 2.5: SOMETHING OLD, SOMETHING NEW

Sable, with Lucas, rushes to stop Miles and Channing's wedding in the way rich people do – i.e., in a private jet – but Channing finds out she’s on the way through some conveniently well-informed hotel employee. What is a scheming girl with confused motivations and backstory to do? She makes sure she and her sexy fiancé get married asap! Sable smiles through it as she seethes inside. What fun! Upon their return to L.A., Sable threatens to beat the shit out of Channing if she turns out to be a scheming ho with confused motivations and backstory. Jason also manages to get an entire file on Channing within a day but he then uses it as kindling for the fire, perhaps a little too naïvely.

"It’s so tiring having two sexy men constantly fighting over me!!111!!" Fallon whines. Jeff promises to be a good boy and never let Miles know the baby could be his. We all know Jeff is so dumb that it’s only a matter of time before that happens.

Bliss bitches about Nikolai's attitude but it makes no sense because all he’s ever shown doing is be nice and starry-eyed around her. Anna reveals that Sacha is a KGB agent, there to ensure they don’t have much contact with Americans. This is so 80s, I could scream!

New storyline alert: All of a sudden, Jason is reading a "TOP SECRET" file about a project named ‘I.M.O.S.’ Not going to lie, I initially sighed because it sounded like some lame sci-fi story was about to happen. Well, it turns out it is a story about a research satellite orbiting Earth and funded by Colby Enterprises, but so much better than what I expected. Jason receives a call from a former senator named Cash Cassidy (what a brilliant name) and who does it turn out is playing him? None other than Kenny from Knots Landing! I had no idea Jim Houghton was on THE COLBYS! Two things I’m wondering now: Will this involve Sacha, Nikolai and Anna? And is this space station why Fallon gets kidnapped by aliens? Fun! This story is such a surprising turn for the show.

Speaking of surprising, it turns out Monica is the episode’s MVP, and I never thought I’d say that. She decides it’s time to open up to Jason about her plane crash as a convenient way of introducing us to the fact she had an affair with a married man once before. The best scene of the episode comes after Monica realizes Zach is having her followed and she confronts him. We’ve never seen her so sexy, funny, sharp and scary at the same time! Those two also have amazing chemistry. The surprises don’t stop there! It turns out, Cash Cassidy is the man from Monica's past and these two also exhibit a lot of chemistry in a post-party private conversation, right before the show delivers yet another surprise when Monica calls Connie in New Delhi to tell her that she doesn’t know what she will do if Cash ever finds out the truth! Oh, my!!! What is it? A secret child? Is Monica really a Russian? Or is she behind the arrival of the aliens that kidnap Fallon? It’s all such a mystery and so exciting, we get the best performance by Tracy Scoggins so far, and Monica gets her first freeze frame of the show!

DDD

• Like Like x 5
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    The kind of "I'm afraid I can't give you that information, please give me 2 seconds to change my mind, so you can move on with your story"?
    She does that so well.
    Everthing about The Colbys feels fresh and wet, like, when I bite in a juicy apple and I feel the juice dripping from my mouth and chin.

• Like Like x 7
  10. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    Not quite. She called the hotel to check if she had any messages and learned Lucas had checked out. When she mentioned Lucas was supposed to return to New York, the person knew he was going to Las Vegas instead.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    Aha, so it was the tittle-tattle employee, who just wants to maximize his screentime and involvement (even if he is off-screen).

• Like Like x 3
  12. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    EPISODE 2.6: THE GALA

The episode heavily revolves around two female characters, one still new to the show, the other there since the beginning but never given something so prevalent before: Channing and Monica respectively. It does well for both.

Just when you think Channing and Miles’ marriage will descend into an endless succession of love scenes and Sable vs Channing, Channing confronts Miles about the picture of Fallon he keeps in his wallet and rips it right in front of his face – that’s savage! Miles dares say nothing. Fallon and Channing have an amusing talk about stretch marks before Fallon advises Channing to stand up to Sable. When Miles tells Channing he basically wants her to pop out one kid after another for at least the next seven years, Channing has headache-y flashbacks to her mother dying at childbirth. I wonder where that younger brother is now? Channing feels the pressure to reproduce and loses her shit ("I am not a baby-making machine!") and reveals she’s barren! Well, I don’t believe her, but this should dovetail nicely into the story of Fallon's pregnancy.

Meanwhile, the 'I.M.O.S.' project proves to be an interesting business storyline for the show, albeit still one I never would have expected. It forces Monica and Cash to work together (there’s conflict with Jason when Monica tries to refuse) and involves Miles checking out someone buying stock in the company that manufactures part of the system that goes into the satellite (which, of course, Zach is behind).

Sable’s desperate effort to hold on to something—anything—continues, with very entertaining results. Her turning down Frankie's offer to translate with the Russians is particularly hilarious: "Something is always lost in translation," she says, dripping sarcasm, "A husband here, a husband there…." "Isn’t hypocrisy wonderful?" she purrs at Zach after they develop a game plan to get Sable and the children on the Colby board. "Start dragging your feet," Sable orders Arthur Cates in regards to the divorce, hoping to drag this well into season 4 by the likes of it!

I don’t think I will ever get used to the sight of Highlander dancing ballet (well, his obvious stunt double who’s not even the same size). I don’t know what they did to Sasha this episode, but I wanted to jump his bones. Maybe it’s that peek of chest underneath his lavishly unbuttoned shirt.

As you’d expect, shit goes down at the gala. From hilarious stuff like Zach and Sable dancing the tango, to Channing screaming at the top of her lungs for Miles to stop telling her to drop down and make babies. Miles manly breaks down the door before getting drunk and doing an admittedly adorable panda dance for Fallon. So, of course, it’s time for Jeff and Miles to beat the shit out of each other, and this time they end up in the pool! Truly bizarrely, one of the guests yells out something about the fun finally starting and everyone, I mean everyone, tears off their clothes and jumps into the pool. What kind of drug-infused mess of a party is this? If THE COLBYS is going to rewrite the rules like that and the guests aren’t going to gasp and shake their heads at a pool incident, you are left with soap anarchy – anarchy, I tell you!

While Sasha is spying on Nikolai shoving his tongue down Bliss’ throat, Jason somehow overtakes Zach's effort to fυck with him, and Cash shoves his tongue down Monica's throat, before daddy dearest comes to the rescue. Monica runs to Arthur Cates and cries, telling him she never wants Cash to find out she … had Cash’s child! Is his name Dollar? Oh, how fun! Honestly, they had me at Jeff and Miles doing a traditional Russian dance.

DDD

• Like Like x 4
  13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    I would have watched that!
    Pure decadence. I liked that scene.
    LOL
    I'm glad his wife's name wasn't Carrie!

It appears that you are currently watching my Top 3 soaps: Peyton Place, Knots Landing and The Colbys. You must be in Soap Heaven:)

• Like Like x 3
  14. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    I mean, I have zero idea what happens the rest of the season, but I wouldn't be surprised had this ongoing divorce continued for a few more seasons had the show not been canceled! Sable's crafty like that.

It doesn't often happen with the primetime soaps, but I got a real sense of glamour and richness from that scene. Maybe it was the Bel Air location shooting, but it felt authentic.

It is wonderful -- all three are in top form. I really couldn't ask for more. Thanks for commenting! At times it feels I'm just blabbing on to myself. lol

• Like Like x 3
  15. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    EPISODE 2.7: BLOODLINES

Everybody’s got baby fever! Fallon is worried about her baby’s paternity, Channing is determined never to have a baby, and Monica is desperate to hide her baby. How fun!

The first minutes of the episode deal with the follow-up to the closing moments of last time. Basically, Sable finds out that Miles slept in the guest bedroom and we’re off! (that could describe many an episode of this show!). I loved Channing's backstory about getting an abortion following a rape and being unable to have more children. Miles was even touching as he pretended he did not want kids after all – a kind gesture on his part. Sable had a hilarious line about Jeff and Miles "fighting in the pool like a couple of water rats!" Imagine my shock, after having completely believed Channing, when she takes out birth control pills and swallows one, a calculating grin on her face. Oh, yaaaaas bitch, fake that infertility! This is great.

Sable, approaching Channing with a much lighter touch throughout this episode than I would have anticipated, insists that Channing needs to get a second opinion. Poor Dr. Kennedy doesn’t know what hit her when Channing growls that no one is ever to know that she can have children but won’t. I really love this bitchy schemer who nevertheless has a pretty valid reason for her deception. I think I’m falling in love with the character here. Channing tears up her test results and puts them in her purse – I do hope that she won’t keep it there for Miles to discover.

Meanwhile, in a nice bit of foreshadowing, Fallon warns Jeff that, if he keeps freaking out over the baby, people are going to guess something is wrong. She confides in Frankie that the baby could be Miles’. Sable, whose interest and suspicions regarding the baby have been rising steadily throughout the episode, questions why everyone is so tense and weird in the house. In his all-time best moment so far, Jeff snarls, "Is it possible it might be you?" Even Sable looked impressed at that. Later, sipping champagne with Zach in bed, Sable becomes determined to find out exactly what the deal is with that damn baby. This is Sable at her absolute meddling best.

Frankie bitches and moans about being Jason's Chief of Protocol (I guess being his Chief Slut becomes tiresome) but Jason wants her to stay at home and organize room cleanings or whatever. That dining room scene in which Frankie gives Jason advice about seating, however, was a lot of fun.

Jason decides he wants Cash off the 'I.M.O.S.' project. Monica insists that she can take care of herself in a sort of whiny, pleading way, as if she’s waiting for permission even as she asserts her independence. She flies with Jason and Cash to Washington, where Cash’s wife, Adrianne, makes a surprise first appearance. It’s another surprising scene when Adrianne arrives at Monica's hotel room to remind her of the deal they made years ago for Monica to exit Cash’s life. Oh, juicy! Although this is their first scene alone, the two women evoke a strong sense of history and chemistry. Adrianne announces that she’s moving to L.A. with Cash. Now I want to know what happened with that baby more than ever!

Even the Kolya/Bliss/Sasha stuff is pretty great here. Although I’m still trying to get over all the dancing Highlander tries to do, Kolya's beginning to rebel against Sasha and tries to enjoy the freedom of the US as much as possible. He also, not-so-subtly, brings up his brother, the poet. I wouldn’t be surprised if that brother showed up.

Sable goes to Dr. Kennedy’s office to get answers about one baby – and gets some unexpected news about the other baby! Dr. Kennedy earns major points when she answers Sable’s questions about whether Miles and Channing will ever be able to reproduce with, "It’s highly unlikely." In a great convergence of stories that even KNOTS LANDING would be jealous of, Dr. Kennedy accidentally refers to Fallon being 5 months pregnant – and not four as her cover story goes! From then on, Sable wastes no time. She snoops through the doctor files and finds out the paternity could not be determined. "Oh, Miles," she says proudly, "I guess you did deposit that wonderful Colby seed somewhere!"

Great installment.

DDD

• Like Like x 5
  16. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    What a thing to say about your own son. :lol:

• Like Like x 2
  17. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    Sable was a MODERN WOMAN!

• Like Like x 2
  18. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    EPISODE 2.8: DECEPTIONS

Sable knows (or suspects) that Miles is the father of Fallon's baby, so she’s not about to waste any time. And that’s a good thing, because Fallon and Jeff have been stuck playing out the same scene for what feels like an eternity: Jeff freaks out, says something terrible, Fallon cries, he apologizes – and then repeat. But the show throws in a few wrenches in Sable’s plan, enough to delay things until the cliffhanger. It’s clearly just a delaying tactic, but it helps build tension for the audience until the big reveal.

While the majority of the episode focuses on Fallon's baby, Cash attempts to get through to Monica. I enjoy the storyline but I’m afraid I don’t feel much chemistry between Houghton and Scoggins.

Monica is busy pushing her love away, while Bliss won’t stop going after her love, the Highlander Ballet Dancer (there’s a concept for a new show, isn’t there?), despite being warned that this could get him dragged back to Russia and … well, I guess the rest is left up to our imagination. The scene where Kolya sneaks out and waits by the fountain, while Bliss watches Sacha watching him, is pretty atmospheric. She leaves. Kolya calls her later and she’s like, "changed my mind, haha." How Kolya doesn’t dump her right there and then, I don’t know.

Fallon finally has a great moment, when she has enough of Sable and says, "Being obvious is your field, isn’t it?" Scrumptious! When Miles returns from his day trip, Sable wastes no time telling him he’s the daddy. But, first, he admits that he raped Fallon. Sable’s reaction is hilarious: She smiles wider than we’ve ever seen her before. Does it matter he’s a rapist? No, cos he’s the baby daddy! Outrageous stuff. Miles continues to show that he’s a predator through and through as he literally stalks Fallon as she jogs in the woods and later waits patiently for Jeff and Fallon's return from their daytrip. He’s such a fascinating character.

Normally, the manipulation the writers have to do to get Jeff and Miles on the rooftop would be annoying, but it works plot wise – it was wise of Jason to send Jeff away to trip and avoid a confrontation. It rarely rains in L.A., but it seems like even the weather realized it was an Important Scene, and added some moody rain to it. Surprise, surprise, Miles and Jeff start punching and rolling around and all that, and, surprise-surprise, someone ends up dangling off the side of the building. It’s a greatly shot scene, especially the dangling parts. It feels like we’ve seen all this before but, this time, it’s Miles who’s falling, and not Jeff, so I guess it’s only fair they take turns.

DDD

• Like Like x 5
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12,954
    I thought there was something surprisingly barbarian about it, because she reminded me of those ruthless matriarchs from the medieval and Ancient Rome stories.

This was already apparent in season 1, when she (and Miles) couldn't care less about Fallon's mental health, or the fact that Fallon was supposed to marry the father of her child (LB) before she became Randall.
    Fallon or Randall, as long as she stayed married to Miles, and to hell with the consequences.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    I'm curious how they shot that. Scenes like that always freak me out. ^^

• Like Like x 1