Watching The Colbys for the First Time

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by JROG, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    I loved that cliffhanger and watched it over and over again. Before the picture freezes, you can clearly see that there is no way Miles wouldn't fall. Or is there? :D

• Like Like x 4
  2. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    That's exactly it. The heir is more important than anything else -- seduce her, rape her, whatever the way, as long as the goal is achieved. They make quite the pair.

• Like Like x 4
  3. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    I was thinking the same thing! It looked really good & real.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    They certainly made it look like there's no way he could be saved.

But this is THE COLBYS.

Constance might show up with mechanical wings and save him from certain death!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I'll bet Stanwyck would have LOVED that! :lmao:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    Bionic Connie! :D

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Sometimes, when I imagine how they could have filmed it, I end up imagining Maxwell Caulfield dangling from atop a skyscraper - FOR REAL. :eek: Except that's most likely NOT how they did it. They most likely did it all in a studio... probably with really convincing backdrops. Perhaps the drizzling rain helped make the backdrop seem more real, perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  8. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    EPISODE 2.9: AND BABY MAKES FOUR

Sadly, Connie does not show up with a pair of mechanical wings to save Miles from certain fall and death. Instead, Jeff uses his other hand and, with the help of two guards, pulls Miles to safety, while Fallon stands around being useless. Miles realizes Jeff's ring came off in his hand and Fallon takes it and puts it back on Jeff's finger. It’s such an unexpected, stunning moment, full of symbolism and, thrillingly, doom. It seems that, now that Miles knows, something unstoppable has been set in motion. Fallon can try to put it together all she wants, but it’s no use. This little moment seems to have shaken the three characters more than the near-fall.

"Stop beating each other!" Jason hilariously tells Miles. He's got a point. It really is somewhat comical that, in just a little over a season, those two have had at least four fights, three of which have happened within the span of just five episodes.

The stuff with Kolya and Bliss was pretty cute and romantic (even if poor Adrian Paul is basically acting on his own). Refusing to accept Bliss’ rejection, Kolya climbs up Bliss’ ladder and they have Russian sex – or almost. Jason catches them and throws Kolya and his leather jacket out with fury!

There’s a really great confrontation between Sable and Frankie. Sable has realized Frankie knew about Fallon's baby all along and will not take it lying down. The scene brings to the forefront all the massive issues and differences these two women have. My God does Beacham sell the hell out of the material. Is this seriously the same woman who wasn’t quite gelling initially? Sable makes a joke about Mata Hari and being shot, and Frankie, in a rare cool moment, replies, "If her sister was like you, she’d have volunteered!" Burn, baby, burn.

Sable doesn’t rest there. Hearing about Fallon's threat to abort her baby, she immediately puts Miles in touch with Arthur, who informs Miles of all his legal rights. Where would Miles be without mummy? She then realizes Jason's trip to Brussels is coming up and convinces Zach to take her – not realizing Jason has asked Frankie to go with him! Oooh, fun!

In totally unrelated news, the rooftop restaurant has balcony seating as well (really cool). Also, did they forget Dominique? Or does nobody need a check from her currently?

Adrienne and her son Scott arrive in California and from here on, things get incredibly juicy in Monica's storyline. It turns out the baby Monica gave away that Cash can’t know about is the baby Cash has already been raising ever since Dear Aunt Barbara Fυcking Stanwyck demanded that he do so if he doesn’t want to lose his senate seat. What a c*nt. So, this is Monica's child and she has no idea. Oh, boy, I did not see that coming! How ironic that Constance is getting her most exciting, and full of soapy potential, story but she is not on the show anymore to enjoy it. This should be great fun if played out correctly, but it will lack something if Connie isn’t around for Monica to confront. Adrienne has a nice speech about how she couldn’t look, or love, or even touch Scott for the first few years but now he’s her son, and nothing will take him from her. How deliriously fun!

It’s an episode full of greats for Fallon. As Jeff rants about what an animal Miles is (his bruises and Fallon taking care of them a nice little detail), Fallon insists there’s another side to Miles, which Jeff hasn’t seen. Her sympathy doesn’t last long when Miles grabs and growls at her as he is wont to do, and Fallon spitefully threatens to abort the baby if he keeps this up. That’s classic Fallon right there. When Channing comes begging for Fallon to go away for a while, Fallon continues to stand her ground (another funny little detail, Miles interrupts them with a rolled-up paper. I almost thought he was about to spank Channing for her misbehavior with it).

All the new-found strength and resolution for Fallon is not without reason. It serves to make her begging Miles at the end of the episode even more of a comedown for the character. Miles shows no mercy. Caulfield’s delivery and mannerisms here reminded me so much of Heston and Jason. And yet, his words, his bile, it’s all so very Sable. "We are having a baby, and there’s not a damn thing you can do about it!" he says. At this point, he’s the perfect mix of his two parents. It’s all Jeff and Fallon can do to look on with horror….

DDD

• Like Like x 5
  9. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    Even Sable looked impressed:

(pause at 0:59)

Great description of the character/actor! :D

• Like Like x 2
  10. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    Would Stanwyck have stayed if she knew such excitingness was coming up? I think so!

On a more serious note, perhaps they should have recast the role.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Matthew Blaisdel

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,172
    But Donna Reed was already dead by then, wasn't she? :(

• Like Like x 2
  12. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,028
    Sometimes the storylines are better when they're dead.
    (the characters, not the actors).

• Like Like x 1
  13. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    She sure was.

It would have been somewhat hilarious if, after failing as a matriarch recast on DALLAS, THE COLBYS actually hired her for a matriarch recast. Surely there were other older actresses they could have found? :p

• Like Like x 2
  14. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    Well, I can't possibly agree or disagree considering I haven't finished the series yet and don't know how well it turns out or not, but considering they have made Connie a major part of the Cash/Monica baby story now, I have a feeling something will be missing if she doesn't at least make a guest appearance... but don't tell me! :D

• Like Like x 2
  15. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,622
    EPISODE 2.10: A BID FOR FREEDOM

What a fun episode. For once, Jason and Sable take a backseat as their children continue to fabulously mess up their lives to our entertainment.

Jeff and Fallon decide to go to the Colby lodge to get away from all the stress. Miles wouldn’t be Miles if he didn’t assume they did this to cause Fallon to miscarry via a skiing accident, and convinces Channing to go to the lodge under false pretenses. The Colby lodge is a nice set and it is a refreshing change to see snow when it’s usually all sunshine on the show. Fallon and Jeff aren’t happy to find Miles at the lodge, and neither is Channing to see them, but Miles plays the piano as annoyingly as he can anyway. It’s utterly predictable that a snow storm will keep all four at the lodge, but it’s so delicious and full of potential that you want them to be do the predictable thing. The scenario also affords Channing and Jeff a rare chance at a one-on-one. I loved Channing insinuating Fallon losing the child wouldn’t be too bad and Jeff's reaction to it.

Perhaps sensing a connection, Monica can’t stay away from the son she doesn’t know she has, and invites him to a rocket launch. Adrienne begs Jason to get Cash off the 'I.M.O.S.' project, but he refuses. On the jet-ride back to L.A., Cash swiftly changes his mind and is about to tell Monica the truth about Scott but they are interrupted, and he doesn’t go through with it.

Meanwhile, Bliss renews her determination to keep seeing Kolya, while Sacha renews his devotion to being utterly creepy. Having pushed too far, Kolya is ordered back to Russia and is detained until the day of his departure. At this point, Jason and Sable get involved. Jason initially refuses to help, but Sable comes to Bliss and Kolya's defense (I kind of hate how ineffective she is). Jason changes his mind but also can’t do much. Even Zach gets involved! In the thrilling ending minutes of the episode, Bliss and Kolya attempt to run away from Sacha, who gives chase, and they end up trapped in one of the hotel rooms. What is a Russian stud to do? He kisses his love goodbye and jumps off the damn balcony! Nuts! Bliss screams and gets the freezeframe. I’m sure he’ll land on a mattress or something. It’s all so good, I don’t even care!

DDD

• Like Like x 4
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,028
    Should have been a complete episode, I love the setting and atmosphere.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Leave it to the Spelling brand to have the California-set show feature snow that season, and the Denver-set one not to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
    Wait--what status? First we heard (from Cecil, a true blood Colby) that Blake was nothing when he started, and may even have had bad hygiene ("were his nails clean that night Alexis, or were they stained from oil from his precious Carrington rig #1?"). Quel scandale! Then even when the writers decided to rewrite history and give the Carringtons some money, Tom is a horny goat spreading bastards and Ben let his mother die in the fire so he was banished. I always assumed Sable with her gallery work and her refined taste would find Blake crude and Alexis vulgarly exhibitionist in her taste in a nouveau riche way, and if anything in the Carrington-Colby universe were consistent, she would grab Fallon by the cellulite, drag her across the carpet and yell at Jeff "you can have her. Just not in any of the beds here!"

• Like Like x 1
  19. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    I think every episode of The Colby's would've been 100x times better if they had forced Maxwell Caulfield to dress like this:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,028
    Forced?

• Like Like x 1