Watching The Colbys for the First Time

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by JROG, Sep 19, 2016.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    L.B. or Miles?

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    While there has been a lesser focus on Zach as the season goes on due to other stories reaching their climax, I have really enjoyed his grudging patience with Sable because it feels like it reveals something about him and shows that, perhaps partly, he does have genuine feelings for Sable. It feels like I'm watching something about the character, and there's been plenty of other scenes in which Zach has been just as vicious or cunning as ever.

That being said, I remember spotting his chemistry with Carroll straight away and thought they'd actually make a story of it, but it's become clear that won't happen....

L.B.

Miles is the one who I imagine likes to do the spanking!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,989
    IIRC, if the show had been renewed for season three I've heard both Zach and Bliss would've been cut from the cast. I guess Ricardo Montalban would've been too expensive with his somewhat diminished role and Bliss... well, she's pretty much useless and given the C plots at best.

4. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    EPISODE 2.19: FALLON’S BABY

While we await the fate of Fallon's baby, the show subtly moves on to another Colby baby, albeit a slightly older one: Sable is pestering Arthur Cates for a way to get ahold of Scott and finds out that Adrienne plans to give Cash the divorce – but the price is that she’ll take Scott to Washington with her and will not allow Cash to see him again. Sable’s solution to this is to portray Adrienne as an unfit mother (Jason hilariously reminds her she did the same thing with Connie and was proven wrong). Interestingly, both Cash and Monica refuse to destroy Monica in order to get Scott. Now, this is a soap opera, and characters should act ruthlessly, but there’s something to be said for the occasional kind, altruistic motive. In quite the surprising turn, Cash tells Monica he’s going back to Adrienne until he figures out a way to leave her without too much drama. Good luck with that, Cash!

A visit from Channing to Fallon brings on an avalanche of greatness: Jeff sees Fallon kicking Channing out of her room and questions her. With Fallon's suspicions at mind, Jeff confronts Channing and warns her to stay away from Fallon. Miles then warns Jeff to stay away from Channing.

Kolya takes Bliss to church to pray. Yes, you read that right. She then, being the American she is, attempts to move in with him, but Kolya freaks out; getting used to this freedom will take a while. Kolya learns that Anna has been trying to reach him. It’s all slightly ridiculous but actually pretty fascinating.

Meanwhile, mysterious-would-be-shooter Hoyt Parker continues his investigation into the Colbys, while Jeff continues his search for him.

And Miles and Jeff are called into the doctor’s office: The paternity results are ready! Instead of ending the episode without giving us the answer, the show reveals that… Jeff is the father! It feels like Miles being the father would bring on much more drama, but I guess they didn’t want to give him a baby following a rape or something.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    EPISODE 2.20: ANSWERED PRAYERS

Another excellent installment to join the string of recent great episodes.

The opening scene, in which Miles demands another paternity test and blames Jeff for stealing everything he’s ever wanted/had from him perfectly illustrates the complexity of their relationship and how, demented as Miles can often be, there still is a little kernel of truth in his point of view.

After originally rejecting her, Miles realizes that Channing has always been on his side and decides to devote himself to their marriage. Touched by his change of heart, Channing throws her birth control pills away – not entirely sure she’s doing the right thing but resolved. In just a couple of scenes, the writers have managed to add more layers to Miles and Channing's marriage as well as their individual characters. It’s masterful soap writing.

Jeff theorizes that Hoyt Parker is an imposter. The show is building the tension so much that even a short scene of Hoyt shaving off his mustache, in anticipation of … something, is enough to lead us to commercial.

The center of the episode is the finalization of Sable and Jason's divorce after a long, long battle. Sable acquits herself remarkably well, until she reaches the door and begs Jason not to marry Frankie. It’s a beautiful, tender, complex scene between the two exes, and Sable’s walk down the Colby corridor after finally giving up is iconic.

Zach whisks Sable to Morocco (where the show goes into familiar 80s territory by stereotypically ‘recreating’ Marrakesh) and has her wish on a shooting star. We don’t have to be told what Sable wished for.

Ironically, deliciously, Sable’s prayer is answered. Just as Frankie is about to say 'I do,' she spots Hoyt Parker among the guests (how nice that he didn’t show up at the door, as the cliché dictates, but has been among them all this time). She freaks out and faints (yas, bitch, faint!). Jason freaks out too: It’s his brother, Philip!! Oh, this is so. much. fun!

• Winner Winner x 5
  6. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    EPISODE 2.21: RETURN ENGAGEMENT

As it usually goes when the bride’s dead ex-husband shows up at the ceremony, the wedding is postponed. The Colbys take it remarkably in stride. Emotions are high, yes, but the melodramatics are kept at a minimum. Jeff reconnects with the man he once thought was his father. Jason throws his brother out of the house but there’s no screaming or arguing; it may be a tense conversation, but it’s also calm. It’s like the shock is so big, the Colbys don’t have the strength to freak out.

Deliciously, Sable is about to agree to marrying Zach straight away when news reaches her about Phillip. It’s all she can do not to orgasm right then and there but Zach's had enough. He sends her home on her own. His next step? He approaches Adrienne and suggests their common enemy – Sable – can be dealt with. Nice.

Anna calls Kolya. Of course, she’s crying. Of course, she looks like a corpse. But she’s got enough presence of mind to warn Kolya that her plea to return due to their mother’s imminent death is fake.

Stupidly, Enid the maid returns Channing's discarded birth control pills to Miles. Bitch, they were in the trash? Can’t you take a hint? Miles excitingly doesn’t tell Channing that he knows and lets her go on about the miracle of being able to conceive now before he drops the anvil.

I really like Sable and Phillip's friendship. How great would it be if they got together, hurting both Jason and Frankie?

Just as Jason realizes that Phillip was the man who shot at him, Phillip shows up at the pool house. Wow, the actors have really good chemistry. When he stands close by, you can just feel it sparking. Sable returns to her bedroom and sees them kissing through the curtains (well, those are useless!) and it’s hot and exciting and I can’t wait to see what’s next!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,152
    Yes, they have a really marvellous on screen chemistry, but somehow Parks manages that with every other character he's on screen with as well. Michael Parks was such a great addition to the cast!

There is a fascinating and beautiful captured melancholy over those last few episodes and I so wish there would have been a third season ... but sadly now there are just 4 more chapters of this great and highly underrated show left ... :(

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 11:53 AM
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    THAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED! THAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED! THAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Urrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhh.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,613
    Yes, he really is terrific. Too bad he will only get a total of 5 episodes to mix it up with the principal cast.

It hit me suddenly how near the end is. The show has reached new, unbelievable heights by this point. I have no doubt Season 03 would have been very, very good. Alas, it was not meant to be.

I'll try to enjoy the last 4 as much as possible...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1