Watching The Colbys for the First Time

Discussion in 'The Colbys' started by JROG, Sep 19, 2016.

1. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,197
    L.B. or Miles?

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    While there has been a lesser focus on Zach as the season goes on due to other stories reaching their climax, I have really enjoyed his grudging patience with Sable because it feels like it reveals something about him and shows that, perhaps partly, he does have genuine feelings for Sable. It feels like I'm watching something about the character, and there's been plenty of other scenes in which Zach has been just as vicious or cunning as ever.

That being said, I remember spotting his chemistry with Carroll straight away and thought they'd actually make a story of it, but it's become clear that won't happen....

L.B.

Miles is the one who I imagine likes to do the spanking!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,197
    IIRC, if the show had been renewed for season three I've heard both Zach and Bliss would've been cut from the cast. I guess Ricardo Montalban would've been too expensive with his somewhat diminished role and Bliss... well, she's pretty much useless and given the C plots at best.

4. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    EPISODE 2.19: FALLON’S BABY

While we await the fate of Fallon's baby, the show subtly moves on to another Colby baby, albeit a slightly older one: Sable is pestering Arthur Cates for a way to get ahold of Scott and finds out that Adrienne plans to give Cash the divorce – but the price is that she’ll take Scott to Washington with her and will not allow Cash to see him again. Sable’s solution to this is to portray Adrienne as an unfit mother (Jason hilariously reminds her she did the same thing with Connie and was proven wrong). Interestingly, both Cash and Monica refuse to destroy Monica in order to get Scott. Now, this is a soap opera, and characters should act ruthlessly, but there’s something to be said for the occasional kind, altruistic motive. In quite the surprising turn, Cash tells Monica he’s going back to Adrienne until he figures out a way to leave her without too much drama. Good luck with that, Cash!

A visit from Channing to Fallon brings on an avalanche of greatness: Jeff sees Fallon kicking Channing out of her room and questions her. With Fallon's suspicions at mind, Jeff confronts Channing and warns her to stay away from Fallon. Miles then warns Jeff to stay away from Channing.

Kolya takes Bliss to church to pray. Yes, you read that right. She then, being the American she is, attempts to move in with him, but Kolya freaks out; getting used to this freedom will take a while. Kolya learns that Anna has been trying to reach him. It’s all slightly ridiculous but actually pretty fascinating.

Meanwhile, mysterious-would-be-shooter Hoyt Parker continues his investigation into the Colbys, while Jeff continues his search for him.

And Miles and Jeff are called into the doctor’s office: The paternity results are ready! Instead of ending the episode without giving us the answer, the show reveals that… Jeff is the father! It feels like Miles being the father would bring on much more drama, but I guess they didn’t want to give him a baby following a rape or something.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    EPISODE 2.20: ANSWERED PRAYERS

Another excellent installment to join the string of recent great episodes.

The opening scene, in which Miles demands another paternity test and blames Jeff for stealing everything he’s ever wanted/had from him perfectly illustrates the complexity of their relationship and how, demented as Miles can often be, there still is a little kernel of truth in his point of view.

After originally rejecting her, Miles realizes that Channing has always been on his side and decides to devote himself to their marriage. Touched by his change of heart, Channing throws her birth control pills away – not entirely sure she’s doing the right thing but resolved. In just a couple of scenes, the writers have managed to add more layers to Miles and Channing's marriage as well as their individual characters. It’s masterful soap writing.

Jeff theorizes that Hoyt Parker is an imposter. The show is building the tension so much that even a short scene of Hoyt shaving off his mustache, in anticipation of … something, is enough to lead us to commercial.

The center of the episode is the finalization of Sable and Jason's divorce after a long, long battle. Sable acquits herself remarkably well, until she reaches the door and begs Jason not to marry Frankie. It’s a beautiful, tender, complex scene between the two exes, and Sable’s walk down the Colby corridor after finally giving up is iconic.

Zach whisks Sable to Morocco (where the show goes into familiar 80s territory by stereotypically ‘recreating’ Marrakesh) and has her wish on a shooting star. We don’t have to be told what Sable wished for.

Ironically, deliciously, Sable’s prayer is answered. Just as Frankie is about to say 'I do,' she spots Hoyt Parker among the guests (how nice that he didn’t show up at the door, as the cliché dictates, but has been among them all this time). She freaks out and faints (yas, bitch, faint!). Jason freaks out too: It’s his brother, Philip!! Oh, this is so. much. fun!

• Winner Winner x 5
  6. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    EPISODE 2.21: RETURN ENGAGEMENT

As it usually goes when the bride’s dead ex-husband shows up at the ceremony, the wedding is postponed. The Colbys take it remarkably in stride. Emotions are high, yes, but the melodramatics are kept at a minimum. Jeff reconnects with the man he once thought was his father. Jason throws his brother out of the house but there’s no screaming or arguing; it may be a tense conversation, but it’s also calm. It’s like the shock is so big, the Colbys don’t have the strength to freak out.

Deliciously, Sable is about to agree to marrying Zach straight away when news reaches her about Phillip. It’s all she can do not to orgasm right then and there but Zach's had enough. He sends her home on her own. His next step? He approaches Adrienne and suggests their common enemy – Sable – can be dealt with. Nice.

Anna calls Kolya. Of course, she’s crying. Of course, she looks like a corpse. But she’s got enough presence of mind to warn Kolya that her plea to return due to their mother’s imminent death is fake.

Stupidly, Enid the maid returns Channing's discarded birth control pills to Miles. Bitch, they were in the trash? Can’t you take a hint? Miles excitingly doesn’t tell Channing that he knows and lets her go on about the miracle of being able to conceive now before he drops the anvil.

I really like Sable and Phillip's friendship. How great would it be if they got together, hurting both Jason and Frankie?

Just as Jason realizes that Phillip was the man who shot at him, Phillip shows up at the pool house. Wow, the actors have really good chemistry. When he stands close by, you can just feel it sparking. Sable returns to her bedroom and sees them kissing through the curtains (well, those are useless!) and it’s hot and exciting and I can’t wait to see what’s next!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    Yes, they have a really marvellous on screen chemistry, but somehow Parks manages that with every other character he's on screen with as well. Michael Parks was such a great addition to the cast!

There is a fascinating and beautiful captured melancholy over those last few episodes and I so wish there would have been a third season ... but sadly now there are just 4 more chapters of this great and highly underrated show left ... :(

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,470
    THAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED! THAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED! THAT SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Urrrrrrrrrgggggghhhhh.....

• Like Like x 2
  9. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    Yes, he really is terrific. Too bad he will only get a total of 5 episodes to mix it up with the principal cast.

It hit me suddenly how near the end is. The show has reached new, unbelievable heights by this point. I have no doubt Season 03 would have been very, very good. Alas, it was not meant to be.

I'll try to enjoy the last 4 as much as possible...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  10. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    EPISODE 2.22: DEVIL’S ADVOCATE

The Phillip/Frankie kiss brings out the liar in everyone. It’s no surprise when Frankie tries to convince Jason to get rid of Phillip because she has ‘a bad feeling’ about it, and it’s a lot of fun watching Sable and Phillip lie to each other about their true feelings and motivations. Despite Jason's pleas, Jeff is determined to give Phillip 1/3 of his Colby shares, while Phillip receives a threatening call about money. I howled when Monica told Jason she knows Chinese and just didn’t tell Phillip about understanding what he said.

Having just found out that there is no doubt Hoyt Parker and Phillip's handwriting is the same, Jason flies to Singapore for a couple of meetings: First, the show makes great use of its past by bringing back Roger Langdon, who is not amused by the goings on in Frankie's life, and then Jason meets with the fabulous Maya Kumara, who could confirm that Parker and Phillip are the same person. A simple picture does the trick, but Ms. Kumara has something much more dramatic in mind for what they should do next….

Back home, Sable lingers at the door while Frankie plays a somber piece at the piano. Ever the one to twist the knife into it, she warns Frankie not to hurt Jason. Phillip is worrying about finding the two million dollars he needs, when Jeff tells him he’s giving him Colby shares – worth about 150 million. Phillip's reaction – the laugh – is great and the subsequent hug between former father and son is both ominous and touching.

Things on the Fallon front remain a bit typical. The show seems to struggle a little to find conflict for Jeff and Fallon, especially when they argue over a house that Jeff bought without discussing it with Fallon first, and then Fallon's insistence they can’t move out of the Colby mansion because Jason and Jeff really need each other. It all seems a bit forced, but at least they wrap it up nicely for the episode when Jeff and Fallon seem to do it right there in an empty store with plain view out to the street.

The Miles/Channing situation is more interesting. Despite being angry at Channing for her lies, Miles keeps the dramatics at a minimum. He’s right to be confused, but Channing is getting to him. It seems our little golden boy has been growing up: He later tells his wife he sees how scared she must have been about having a baby to lie about it and they make up.

And just as I was getting afraid we’d have a whole episode without Adrienne, she drunkenly calls Monica in the middle of the night to tell her how much Cash likes having a woman to save. "He thinks he wants a lady, but all he really wants is a whore!" Monica is stunned into hanging up the phone.

Monica has enough of the late-night calls and confronts Adrienne. She begs Adrienne to stay away from Zach (who makes one appearance to tell Sable not to keep him waiting) by telling her to use a long spoon when eating with him, and the argument devolves into a shouting match about Scott and his adoption – with Scott having just walked in. So the truth finally comes out!

Jason is on his way back to L.A. and is arranging a dinner party. Oh, this is going to be good! While the family is gathered in their finest in the living room, Jason walks in with the fabulous Maya Kumara and Hoyt Parker is unmasked!

Only 3 episodes left…

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    EPISODE 2.23: BETRAYALS

As far as dinner-time confrontations go, the opening scene has it all: Stunned glares, double-identity reveals, accusations of murder. It’s also interesting for another reason: Jason apologizes for springing Maya and the reveal on his family like this. It’s a point later repeated. A soap having its characters apologize for their soapy actions. Imagine that! In this regard, THE COLBYS reminds of KNOTS LANDING: A lot of soapy things happen, but the characters often react to them in very down to Earth ways. It makes the show stand out.

Phillip leaves the Colby mansion after a fantastic set of scenes with Jeff and Sable (his flirtatious friendship with the latter being a highlight), but he is far from done. He asks Jeff for the money to put off the arms dealers. Something very interesting happens to Jeff here: The reveal pushes him further away from Jason and closer to Phillip, instead of the opposite as you’d expect, but he remains wary of Phillip and doesn’t blindly hand over money to him. Even though he now has what he needs, Phillip makes a deal with Zach to provide him information on Jason's business dealings in exchange for three million dollars.

Meanwhile, Frankie decides she can’t set another date for the wedding while Phillip is around. Jason tries to find out why. "Don’t bully me!" she screams in a fantastic, primal surge of anger. Jason reacts like any rich, powerful straight white man would: Indignantly. He spends the night at the main house, and the next day holds hands with Sable, adding to Jeff's complicated feelings for him. When Phillip calls Frankie (she hilariously answers the phone very perkily as if to make her reaction stand out more), she tells him she never wants to see him again. Phillip being Phillip, he breaks into the pool house in his finest leather jacket with the collar popped, and he dominates Frankie into accepting him. Goddamn, Michael Parks is a very sexy man, and his chemistry with the cast is astounding. He is the absolute best addition this show ever made.

Following Scott's discovery that he is adopted, and Monica is his real mommy, Cash tells Monica about Zach's attempt at blackmail. Monica rushes to Sable with the news, causing a standout of a scene when Sable confronts Zach by way of a $20,000 vase aimed at his head. Zach openly admits he did it to annoy her and she throws his engagement ring at him. Scott touchingly tells Adrienne he chooses her, and it helps Adrienne pull herself out of her mess. She decides to return to Washington with Scott and coolly forces Cash to accept it, unless he wants another scandal to plague Colby and the 'I.M.O.S.' project. I just love how they’ve handled Adrienne and this story. She has problems, but they still treat her with dignity and they haven’t vilified her.

Kolya needs to be in New York in two weeks. Realizing he also must take Bliss off this show, he asks her to marry him and come with him. I’ll be sad to see Kolya go, but certainly wouldn’t miss Bliss.

Jason shockingly comes home early, and Sable makes a hilariously half-hearted attempt at stopping him from walking in on Phillip and Frankie doing the nasty. I mean, she clearly knows he’s going to be hurt and doesn’t want him to be, but we have seen her be much more inventive than she’s being now. Indeed, Jason walks in on his very sexy brother sucking Frankie's face off and gives us really good shocked freezeframe.

Only 2 episodes left….

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    EPISODE 2.24: THE DEAD END

The first few minutes are great: The action alternates between Jason grabbing a whip to punish Phillip and the Colby siblings and their significant others out celebrating Kolya's new job. While Jason decides to use good, ole-fashioned fists to punish Phillip, and improbably beats him to a pulp, Miles can’t resist ruining the evening by going in on Jeff again. Jeff fires back, and Fallon cries again. My God, how I hate this super wimpy, fragile version of Fallon.

Sable lets Frankie have it: "I always thought you were a slut, I never thought you’d prove it!" And it’s a good thing, because Frankie soon goes into victim overdrive and it’s enough to make you tear your eyes -and ears- out: "You put me through hell!" she yells to the man who caught her almost boring his brother. "I asked you to send him away, but you didn’t listen!" Jason is, understandably, stunned to be thought responsible for Frankie whoreness. My God, she really is a slut!

Fallon receives a phone call. All she hears on the other side is a heavy breather and it’s enough to make her completely freak out.

There’s a lot of fun to be had with Phillip and Zach's deal. First, Phillip goes through Sable’s purse, steals her Colby building card, and breaks into Jason's office. Then, when Phillip refuses to turn over the 'I.M.O.S.' contract proposals until Zach has the full agreed-upon amount, Zach breaks into his hotel room only to put two and two together and realize Phillip is the Eureka shooter. Oh, this is good!

Lucas Carter is back and wants Jason to drop the libel suit in exchange for not printing about Monica's illegitimate child. True to form, Jason tells him to stuff it, so Lucas turns to Channing, who says she’s pregnant and will not hurt the Colbys again. I suppose she’s telling the truth.

Frankie does something right and runs off. Unfortunately, she only goes as far as the beach to mope. Jeff tracks her down and finds her in the ocean gasping for air. It’d be just like this ho to make us think she might die and then make it.

Only 1 episode left….

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    EPISODE 2.25: CROSSROADS

It’s time! It’s over, darlings.

Frankie is so cruel – teasing us with the possibility of her death but surviving. Damn her, and Jeff for saving her! Couldn’t she have done us this small favor since this is the last episode?

After Frankie admits she wanted to die, Jeff puts the most unstable person he knows in charge of looking after her: Fallon. Fallon is seeing thundery skies and hearing reports on the radio about strange lights. As you’d expect, Frankie ends up running away again, and Jeff goes full-on asshole on his wife before apologizing. How many million times have we seen this exact scene?

Channing tells Miles she’s pregnant. It’s kinda touching watching her fight through her fears of a pregnancy for Miles’ sake but soon enough she’s having nightmares and we all know what that means. Of course, she’s not Fallon, so she’s not about to run off crying and get amnesia. After one last, blissful scene of Miles shirtless, Channing calls him from the airport and tells him she plans to have an abortion and she’s leaving him because she knows he’ll hate her forever. This serves as one of four cliffhangers for the season.

In a rather touching scene, Scott visits Monica to say goodbye. Sable listens in, of course, and quickly calls Arthur Cates. Monica refuses to consider taking legal action. So, what is a sassy grandma to do? She kidnaps her grandson! Cliffhanger two out of four.

Bliss and Kolya don’t appear, so I suppose last episode was their goodbye.

Zach tells Sable it was Phillip who tried to kill Jason. (I quite like how tenderly their last scene together ends). Armed with this info, Jason barges into Phillip's and… takes his gun. Guess he wasn’t in the mood to pummel him to the ground again.

To push the plot along, Frankie tells Jason she really loves Phillip. Phillip goes off to find her and, why not, decides to kidnap her. Stupid Frankie calls the most unstable person in the world for help, Fallon, who at least manages to tell Jeff what’s going on without weeping too much. Consumed by some kind of guilt brought on by Jeff's berating, Fallon drives off to find Frankie herself and, of course, gets lost.

Meanwhile, the show spares no money or effort in a hugely thrilling helicopter/ car chase between Jeff and Jason and the car Phillip and Frankie are in. Because Jason is an ass who routinely makes things worse, he drives the car off the cliff. Somehow, Phillip is nowhere to be found, and Frankie once more is teasing us with the possibility she’s dying. She loses consciousness and it’s looking really good, but unfortunately, we never find out, so here’s cliffhanger number 3!

And, then, it happens…. The infamous scene. One of the biggest WTF moments in all of soapdom. Even if you know what’s about to happen, it’s still so shockingly out of the blue and, yes, effective. Of course, I’ve seen it before, but it’s so different in context. It almost works. And it’s hilarious, in a good way: Of course, something like this would happen to Fallon! She’s the kind of person to be killed by a massive tsunami in the middle of a desert! All in all, you can’t take your eyes off of the well-shot scene. Hilariously, Fallon in silhouette looks exactly, thanks to 80s fashion and hair, like the alien does. And off she goes! Cliffhanger four out of four.

Not gonna lie: Really would want to see what they did with this.

It’s so sad to say goodbye: What a show! What development! What excellent drama! And such gall: Not one, not two, but three cliffhanger kidnappings in one episode!

Since we don’t find out what happens, this is what I choose to believe happened next: Frankie died painfully, her internal organs bleeding profusely. Jeff kept his promise to Jason never to forgive him and sides with Phillip, who is helpless with amnesia, but of course is lying: This turn of events spearheads him into full-blown villain status, taking over from Zach, who clearly was never going to win against Jason. But Phillip… that’s another story.

As for Fallon, clearly her UFO kidnapping is what inspired THE X-FILES. She would have come back pregnant again: Jeff's baby or an alien progeny via Miles’ super sperm? Come to think of it, the Colby offices look a lot like the Great Northern over at TWIN PEAKS, so clearly that show was inspired by the Colbys as well. Not bad for a short-lived, silly primetime soap!

Thanks for the company, lovelies!

• Winner Winner x 5
  14. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,937
    A man can only edge it for so long...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    Yes, but I'm very good at it...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,937
    The end should always feel like a UFO flight, don't you think?

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    Is there any other way?

18. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,403
    Not to forget that Michael Parks plays a mysterious bad guy in there as well! And don't get me started on Ray Wise (Spiro)! :D

Too bad it's already over. I'm gonna miss those reviews of yours! :(

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,937
    A UFO crash?o_O

What's going to be the next review, JROG?

20. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,724
    I had forgotten there was a nice extra on the DVD set! What a fun surprise to see Beacham, James, and Caulfield interviewed about their time on THE COLBYS! Much like the show, the extra started off as "sibling rivalry" but then developed into a discussion about Sable and Heston and all kinds of fun backstage tidbits. How refreshing to hear them all be so honest about how difficult Caulfield was on set (he even says it about himself!) or Stanwyck's professional diva antics. And they were right: By the end of season 2, the show had really found its groove and deserved a Season 3. Of course, we recently found out the showrunners were leaving, so perhaps it would have not been as good anymore... In terms of recollections, honesty, and conclusions, these three were very sharp.

True! The connections are plentiful. It's clear: Without THE COLBYS, there wouldn't be TWIN PEAKS!!

Thank you!

What could be the next review? Perhaps a season 8 thoughts thread for DYNASTY....

• Like Like x 3