Were they all too nice to Krystle?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, May 27, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,165
    Medals:
    Of course, they should have been nice to Krystle. But one of the numerous things I liked about Season 1, and to a degree Season 2, is that there were so many characters who seemed to hold Krystle in contempt -- not simply because she was an outsider or came from a working class background, but because she was genuinely nice.

In real life, such a person tends to generate a surprising amount of resentment because of the contrast their very existence creates. Their simply being alive, let alone their actions and attitudes, acts as reminder of an objective standard of fairness which many, many people deeply, instinctively resent.

They're fine with "fakey" nice, because they understand that hustle. But three-dimensional nice is often quite despised.

Some people hate you for your good qualities, not necessarily your flaws.

Did DYNASTY make a mistake in having everybody warm to Krystle (except for the jealous ex-wife, that is)? Or can that be rationalized by her increasing mental issues due to all those head injuries...?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,733
    Medals:
    But she stopped being three-dimensional nice, so there wasn't much to resent anymore.
    So, DYNASTY was being realistic, albeit accidentally - and certainly not for the good reasons.

We've discussed the idea that they missed the opportunity with Adam vs. Krystle - but then again, wouldn't that be too easy, too obvious?
    I think that conflict would focus on his bad traits, and not her goodness. Anyone who's being mistreated is a victim, and I don't think that's what this is all about?

What other (not-so-evil) character could have disliked Krystle?

• Like Like x 3
  3. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    Was any of the characters from S1 the same later on? There is a scene where Blake and Krystle meet Steven in his pickup truck in episode 5 (I think). Steven explains that he went to work for Matthew because "It hasn't been easy being your son" and Blake retorts "it hasn't always been easy being your father." Nobody curses anyone, but you can tell each of them carries deep hurting in that exchange, which is real drama, not cardboard melodrama. In later seasons characters would throw the kitchen sink at each other in fights, but nothing had resonance.
    Similarly, I remember the scene when Krystle is being firm and a bit snide with Joseph for the first time and afterwards she runs away upset that she had to be this person in order to deal with him. All of these characters lost their layers and complexity later on, but it hurt Krystle the most because a nice person who has done shady things like sleeping with a mental patient's husband was too fine a balance to begin with. The Pollocs and Douglas S. Cramer had no patience for nuance. I don't think they cared to get back to that. At least in S2 with Nick they introduced the possibility she could cheat with Blake because of who Blake was, because of the changed dynamics with Alexis, and because she felt like an outside. Later on with Mark and Daniel they had to bring someone who was already tied to her through the past, so that any veering away from her marriage was a result of fate and circumstances, not her own choices. I also think having her give birth to Kristina was a mistake. It prevented the possibility of having her seek to adopt, or channeling her energy to some cause (which happened too late in S9) or even some enterprise, and also made her lose her reason for hating Alexis.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,733
    Medals:
    I think Dominique should have disliked Krystle (but not Blake).

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    That would have been interesting. I would have liked to have seen that. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,165
    Medals:
    Yes, exactly.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,165
    Medals:
    I would like to see Alexis' reputation in Denver be much better than it apparently was -- realistically, Alexis and JR Ewing would have been much better thought of by their public than they were. Because, from my experience, most people with superlative reputations for integrity seem to be the worst people and the biggest liars around (or, as JR himself once stated, "once you learn to fake integrity, the rest is a piece of cake." And it's sadly true).

I'd like to see the occasional local TV story or media exposé on Alexis with the usual gushing praise about her humanity and decency and altruism, standing in direct contrast to what the viewer -- and the Carringtons -- know about her.

As well as ladies-who-luncheons with Alexis dishing patently false dirt, even barely-disguised perverted dirt, about Krystle while her matronly listeners around the table nod in knowing, smug agreement.

That's just real.

[​IMG]

Yes, especially since I see Billy Dee Williams' character as properly usurping the Rock Hudson role -- Brady divorces Dominique while he chases Krystle around in Season 5.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    Like what? What could Alexis say about Krystle? :)

9. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,165
    Medals:
    Oh, the usual. Manufactured quotes, manufactured boorish behavior, the old "don't-you-know-what-she-said-about-you?" stuff, physical threats, theft. And then the obligatory coup de grâce: pedophilia.

"Don't you want to make Mommy happy, darling?
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    ...y'know... the scene where Caress says offhandedly to a waiter/bartender that Alexis is into necrophilia, when I saw it for the first time, my memory bungled it up, so that I remembered it being Alexis telling the head of the newspaper (after the whole doppelganger incident) that Krystle was into necrophilia. ^^

Also, I once wondered if Alexis should have accused Krystle of trying to have an affair with Steven - only unlike above, Alexis truly believes this, and is acting out of motherly instinct (or as motherly as Alexis can possibly be). Of course she'd be mistaken, but Alexis wouldn't believe the truth, or want to believe it. I'm thinking of having something like this in my own version of Dynasty.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,165
    Medals:
    Well, you know my desire to have Alexis hire another double for Krystle after the Rita story finishes, ideally played by Joanna Cassidy with a blonde wig, to run around Denver doing humiliating things to make Krystle look bad, and cast doubt on her original kidnapping/impersonator claims once Krystle asserts yet again that she's got yet another evil twin.

Imagine Joanna Cassidy and Krystle duking it out at the Masquerade ball only weeks after Krystle clobbered Rita.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +731
    For the most part Krystle filled the traditional role of trophy wife: gracious host, not involved in business, raised money for charity. She didn't "rock the boat", even her interest in breeding Arabian horses would probably have been considered "appropriate" for a woman like her at that time. The public would not have known of Krystle's desire to be more of a "partner" to Blake (something I would have liked to see Blake eventually come to accept and even embrace). I certainly understand Fallon, Joseph and assorted servants bristling at the notion of secretary Krystle Jennings becoming Mrs. Blake Carrington but it makes sense that they would eventually come to accept her given her devotion to Blake and the poise and grace with which she carried herself.

The woman who I think would have been looked down upon would be Alexis. Here we have an art school drop-out and absentee parent who takes the reins of an oil company with zero business experience. I can't imagine a group of middle-aged, white, male business executives considering the widow Colby to be a peer or rival to Blake, a middle-aged white, male - who built his own business from the ground up.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,165
    Medals:
    Yes, the public should have looked down on Alexis, but they wouldn't have. She would have been seen as "a winner" with all the disinfectant effect being a perceived "winner" permits, her meanness just impressing the public as a sign of her 'strength'.

And her besmirching Krystle's reputation would have been all-the-easier because of Krystle's genuine decency and strength of character (which always makes people nervous and resentful).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    I recall a scene in season 6 where Alexis calmly complains to newly returned Fallon, "When a man is ruthless, he is called 'strong'. But when a woman is ruthless, she is called 'a b*tch.'"

15. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,165
    Medals:
    When a woman is ruthless -- and rotten -- she's called "strong", too.

Joan Collins is (was) fond of saying, "No one calls Donald Trump a bitch."

And of course they do. At least, now.

So the double standard isn't quite what it's made out to be.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,733
    Medals:
    But being an aggressive business man/woman - a conqueror, as it were - doesn't necessarily mean he/she is a rotten person.
    Heck, I even found it hard to hate Alexis when she proposed the DC-ColbyCo merger. Blake would have done the same if he'd had the chance at that time*.
    But more importantly, it actually made sense, since Blake & Alexis' children and grandchildren would benefit from the situation, as the merger would result in one of the country's biggest independent oil companies.
    Then again, the children/grandchildren would inherit from both companies anyway, another example why this was never convincing as being a feud in the way Ewing vs. Barnes was. Actually, those families were intertwined too, through Bobby and Pam's marriage.

The only part that made it look an underhandy action was her personal motive: she'd become Blake's employer.

It's not the business competition itself that made her a bitch. It was because of everything else she did. Firing that fatal gunshot had nothing to do with ColbyCo.
    Therefore, her complaint about double standards is complete BS.

*which he did when he tried to consolidate Lankershim-Blaisdel.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,730
    Medals:
    As someone said earlier in another thread, Blake didn't need a business rival in Alexis, he had two business rivals already:
    Cecil Colby and Matthew Blaisdel, Matthew had he stayed on in season 2 would find out about Krystle's rape by Blake and would throw in with Cecil in a rage and wanting to destroy Blake where it hurt.

Alexis should've just been Krystle's rival in the main but occasionally she would exchange a war of words with Blake,
    But centering the feud on Blake vs Alexis was a short sighted move.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,733
    Medals:
    Matthew wasn't a business rival - it's just that Blake wanted everything.
    In season 1, Blake & Cecil did business together, although Cecil often proved to be unreliable. But since he wanted Fallon to marry his nephew, it's hard to imagine that he wanted to destroy the Carringtons and DC.
    Cecil became an out-and-out villain in season 2, when he wanted Blake to repay the loan, only to create a debt with his gangster alter ego Logan Rhinewood.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,165
    Medals:
    Well, naturally.

Part of the problem here, obviously, is that the writers (as everybody from John Forsythe to Karen Cellini observed) "didn't know what they wanted". So they were equally schizoid about whether Alexis was a baby-killing monster or just a dynamic '80s business woman.

And while they didn't necessarily have to reconcile those two things, they seemed unsure what she was or who she was. Same for Krystle -- was she a poetic, intuitive truthspeak, or the family's squeaky doormat with a mouse under it?
    Yes, correct.

My original point was, basically, what happens when you drop a sensitive, fundamentally decent person (let alone from a working class background) into a vat of ugly "beautiful people"... do they praise her and say nice things about her? Do they ignore her? Or do they focus in on her like a viral intruder?

Quite likely, the latter. Or were the show's writers themselves too busy doing that to Krystle to write the characters doing that to Krystle?

They would have Alexis call Krystle "boring" and pretty "only when she smiles" in what seemed the writers' shared contempt for Krystle. They seemed to resent and disrespect her as much as Alexis did -- and yet wouldn't allow Krystle to do anything unusual for fear of compromising the character unless it was a ridiculous evil twin storyline.

Their locking her in an attic for months (which was supposed to be twice as long as it actually turned out) was a metaphor for what the show's brass did to Krystle themselves. And it almost seemed like it was supposed to be!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  20. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,730
    Medals:
    Krystle became a reactive character not a proactive one after a few years and this is more pronounced from the moment she leaves the attic at Delta Rho right up until she found Roger Grimes body
    2 1/2 years later by which point, Linda Evans was on her way out of the show.

She became Mrs Blake Carrington and completely forgot that she was Krystle Grant Jennings, later Carrington, TPTB wouldn't even give her her own storyline separate from the tired Blake/Alexis feud.

They literally put Krystle in a corner after mid season 6.

• Like Like x 2