Were they all too nice to Krystle?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, May 27, 2017.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,756
    Medals:
    It depends on how on-topic these comments are.
    The writers shouldn't be afraid to point out the hero/heroine's less flattering traits, as it could make these good characters reconsider their thoughts and actions, which would only make them seem nicer.

I remember feeling quite shocked when Jill Bennett insulted Valene that time she forced her enemy to commit suicide, because some of those accusations rang true ("poor Val!") - and for a moment I thought the writers had lost their minds, because normally we're supposed to ignore these flaws (once a hero, always a hero) and yet, Jill Bennett exposed them en plein public.
    Now, I don't think anyone rooted for Jill, since she was trying to kill somebody and all that, but it explained where the madness came from. (and I wasn't always the biggest Val-fan either, but that's entirely unrelated to the topic).

Claudia accused Krystle of being "the most dangerous Carrington", and eventhough that wasn't true, we could imagine how that seemed true in Claudia's twisted mind.
    So it didn't come across as an insult just for the heck of it.
    Krystle's stepford wife-reaction was cringeworthy, at best.
    When did they make her stop suffering and crying?

What worries me about Alexis' comment is not the insult itself (I think she said it to Dex?) but the fact that it was combined with a compliment.
    Krystle is pretty when she smiles, but that comment gives (consequently) more weight to the false statements.
    And then it does - indeed - feel as if they are shitting all over their Main Character.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    She said it to Ben in the beginning of season 7, who had said, "Say what you will about her; she's a very beautiful woman."

• Like Like x 2
  3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,756
    Medals:
    That's amazing, I really thought it was Dex.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    I remember the scene because I loved Krystle's all-chocolate-brown outfit. And I loved how cool, calm, collected and completely unfazed she was as she confronted Alexis. It was like Krystle was still the one with all the power, while Alexis was merely an arrogant fool with an ax hovering above her coiffed head. :lol:

s7e147p5.jpg s7e147p6.jpg s7e147p7.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,258
    I think the show has given us a sense that Alexis was a scandalous news buffet when it came to the press. There are all these clippings Joseph mentioned in S2, and the paparazzi shot in Rashid's villa. Then in S3 she had a deathbed wedding to Colbyco's owner only to inherit have of his company moments later. In S5 there was the trial for killing her bodyguard, some rather sleazy tennis has been who lived with her. Then she was involved in the Moldavia fiasco. I find it more likely that she would have tried to sink Krystle's reputation along with hers, to create a "plague on both your houses" effect.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    I just want to see Denver's society matrons -- as well as Alexis -- muttering their private disapproval of, and dislike for, Krystle throughout the run of the show.

It just smells right. Krystle is too decent to not have this kind of spiritual jealousy (the most common, most virulent, yet least acknowledged kind of jealousy) directed at her. Where her goodness just makes her seem like an invading organism to high society types, while they feel the need to hide this in public as Krystle's married to the second or third richest man in Colorado.

It just crave seeing this kind of subtlety.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,756
    Medals:
    Yes, I think that a strong dislike for Krystle (as we saw in season 1) would have been more challenging than those women who were supposed to rock the Carrington boat (Tracey and Lady Ashley). In those instances, Krystle was merely an obstacle, rather than a target.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    Medals:
    That is a good point. In fact, both Tracy and Ashley could have been those society types who gossiped about Krystle, or at least just Ashley, since Tracy was a "working girl." Imagine how that would have been in season 7, where Blake loses all his money, and all the socialite harpies waste no time in laughing at Krystle's "miscalculation", and then simmering with embarrassment and jealousy once again when the Carringtons become wealthy again towards the end of the year.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,756
    Medals:
    Let's add it to the looooong list of missed opportunities for Lady Ashley:lol:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    I liked the scene from Season 1 -- which could only have occurred during Season 1 -- where "the help"
    discuss their varying views of the new Mrs Carrington's worthiness. Jeanette finds Krystle so lovely, while Mrs Gunnerson thinks Krystle should accept her role of doormat/whore because of all Blake does for her.

Ultimately, Mrs Gunnerson's view will win out. At least amongst the writers. Maybe she started putting something in Krystle's food.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

But these kinds of in-the-corners scenes where characters (with less of an obvious agenda as Fallon, Joseph and Alexis) effortlessly dismiss Krystle's good qualities as meaningless, or even a liability, should have happened more often amongst the denizens of Denver.

It would only make Krystle's goodness seem more "real" somehow.

[​IMG]

As said before, Krystle was the soul of DYNASTY -- not because of any favoritism from me towards the character necessarily, but because, structurally, the person with the correct moral perspective is, innately and intrinsically and organically, the one from or thru whom the story is being told... So when you decide that that character is vapid and irrelevant, because no moral perspective is needed, what are you left with?

Well-dressed scenes of pointless and unfocused melodrama, at tale told by idiots, full of sound and fury, signifying not a whole lot.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,756
    Medals:
    Although The Colbys didn't have that character. Unless you'd consider Jeff that kind of person, but he wasn't likeable at all.
    The difference between The Colbys and so-many-other-shows is that not all their characters were truly despicable either. But sometimes they did despicable things.
    I was surprised how much the Peyton/Cords/Harrington storyline from Peyton Place reminded me of The Colbys.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    Yes, and that was the potentially biblical thing about DYNASTY -- it had this New Testament dynamic initially of Savior (even her name was "Krystle") versus Pontius Pilates (Alexis).

[​IMG]

That's why DYNASTY was potentially so unique and the casting of, in particular, Linda and Joan so very important.

While a show like THE COLBYS, and certainly DALLAS, was more Old Testament in tone: there were people who were better and worse, but not the same kind of archetypes. And no one to show them The Way.

[​IMG]

And, yes, Jeff was a creep. People only thought he was 'nice' because he was usually reverential towards the statured characters -- at least on DYNASTY.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,166
    Medals:
    There should have been a lot of scenes with Alexis telling people that Krystle had said something negative about them which, naturally, Krystle never actually said. That dreadful "but don't you know what she said about you??" thing that rotten people do to control what folks think about each other.

Alexis should also mention frequently about how much Krystle lies.

You can read Alexis perfectly by what she projects onto Krystle.

"Blake, why is Krystle shooting at us?? No, I saw her -- the security guard had to pull her away from the window! Just ask them when all this is over! Blake, I swear to you, she looked like she was planning on running for governor!"
    [​IMG]