Dallas Character Wes Parmalee story with hindsight

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by pete lashmar, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Ironically it was Patrick Duffy's return in the following season which probably helped to nix the Wes is Jock storyline. You are indeed correct, the character of Ben Stivers only appears in a few episodes toward the close of season 9 (DVD count).

When Duffy decided to come back and it was also realised that the Wes is Jock storyline wasn't working out with the viewers, the Producers realised that there was effectively two resurrections from the dead in that season. Bobby coming back & Jock coming back too! That may have had an impact on the storylines as they probably thought two resurrections wouldn't be believable! So in effect Patrick Duffy's return as Bobby had quite a detrimental effect on that years storyline of Wes being Jock. If Duffy had not have come back it's highly likely that the Ben Stivers character from season 9 would have turned out to really be Jock Ewing. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +4,755
    I'm not sure, though. I really doubt Katzman ever planned for Wes to actually be Jock -- although the actors were apparently told different things, as I've said. I think it was always intended to end ambivalently.

And Katzman knew Duffy (and himself) would be returning to the show early enough that they could have warded off the Parmalee plot if they felt they needed to, but they didn't.

Interestingly, I remember a letter to TVGuide a couple of years earlier with the writer saying that DALLAS should have the return of Jock Ewing, and named Steve Forrest or James Arness as "perfect" for the role.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Regarding Wes being Jock.

"No that was not a possibility, anymore than it was our intention to bring back Patrick as his twin brother, which we joked about. No, Jock was there; that painting of him was virtually there in every episode and how could you do that? We would not do that and it certainly would not serve him. The character of Jock remained in Dallas all the way through. So insinuations that Wes was Jock were there, but there was never any intention to do that, no."

David Paulsen
    Dallas writer/producer

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +96
    That makes sense. If they had intended for Wes to be Jock, they would have signed Steve Forrest with an option for a longer term, as opposed to someone who wasn’t available for the full season. Or they would have signed a different actor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. johnmmil10

johnmmil10 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I didn’t mind the storyline, but I thought it got messed up with the dream.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    I don't think I've ever seen that before. Nice to see it settled definitively.

7. Jon Ewing Jr.

Jon Ewing Jr. Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Suppose they did try to make him Jock. I have often wondered how it would have played out. What do yall think?

8. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,755
    Recasting of core characters in a primetime show never really works. Just as they shouldn't have tried it with Donna Reed.

I mean, could you imagine Donna Reed as Jock? Taking down her own portrait from the living room wall??

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. JRandSueEllenForever

JRandSueEllenForever Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I loved Wes Parmalee and I was sad when he left the show. I wished they had kept him as a regular. I actually thought he had tremendous chemistry with Miss Ellie, whereas I thought Miss Ellie and Clayton were blah together, and the only reason the writers threw them together was more for the conflict with JR. I would have loved Miss Ellie and Wes together as a couple, with him as Wes, not Jock.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Jon Ewing Jr.

Jon Ewing Jr. Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +43
    One thing I thought that was kind of funny in all of this was the fact that a former CIA agent/operative couldnt go down there and figure out the Parmalee/Hanes story but Bobby of course could. Drama tv at its finest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,755
    I know. One of DALLAS' most tiresomely trite conventions was this idea that the "strong" and macho Ewing sons could all play hero when the keystone authorities never had a clue.

12. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,936

If it meant we got to see a love scene between Donna and BBG then yes, Id be all for it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. JRandSueEllenForever

JRandSueEllenForever Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I don’t think it would have gone over too well. If I remember correctly, many fans were not happy with anyone other than Jim Davis as Jock. At the time, I loved Wes Parmalee and wanted him to be Jock, even though he looked a little young for the part. JR looked as old as Wes. Anyway, I thought Steve Forrest had a lot of chemistry with BBG too. But I think I was in the minority. In hindsight I wish they would have at least kept him on the show as Wes, not Jock, and a new love interest for Miss Ellie. I never liked Clayton Farlow on Southfork.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +38
    It was great for it was the Last time BBG was ever asked to act on the show and she delivered. I also loved the Ball episode. When Clayton threatens to kill Wes over putting Miss Ellie through hell JR seems lost for words! He seems shocked someone could be more angry than him about a pretend Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Since we never saw what was said between him and Ellie.....you never know. I just think it is odd that Jock's body was never found. I would have written it that it was found due to renewed searching because of Parmalee's claims. Simple as that....

16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,028
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    One question that everybody seemed to overlook regarding Mr. Parmalee: if he was Jock, he had to have a bypass too. This was hinted in one of his Dream Season scenes, but not at all in the next season. Because those things have a number of ID. Just my 2 cents...All my other cons with this storyline (looking younger, sounding different, wearing jeans...well, a lot higher and tighter than Jock did), might be just my subjective opinion...

17. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,028
    But Wes agreed to be subjected to medical tests and they found no inconsistencies with the possibility that he could be Jock.

18. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,399
    That would suppose that they wanted to clear it up. Like with Pam, I think they deliberately left it unresolved just in case they wanted to bring him back later.

19. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +79
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    How does everybody know how most fans thought because there was no internet then? All we had were ratings and ratings remained pretty high considering the dream. I loved the Wes storyline. It was the only thing that kept me interested after that season premiere. I think it and the B.D, storylines were the last great ones on Dallas.

20. Majorfanofshow

Majorfanofshow Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Letters to TV guide and letters to cast and crew of Dallas!