1. Show your support for DALLAS in the battle of the soaps

The Character's Exit

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are experiencing some issues and there may be some downtime to correct this. Apologies for any inconvenience

Dismiss Notice

Dallas Character Wes Parmalee story with hindsight

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by pete lashmar, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Via The Void
    Breezy

Via The Void Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +420
    Ironically it was Patrick Duffy's return in the following season which probably helped to nix the Wes is Jock storyline. You are indeed correct, the character of Ben Stivers only appears in a few episodes toward the close of season 9 (DVD count).

When Duffy decided to come back and it was also realised that the Wes is Jock storyline wasn't working out with the viewers, the Producers realised that there was effectively two resurrections from the dead in that season. Bobby coming back & Jock coming back too! That may have had an impact on the storylines as they probably thought two resurrections wouldn't be believable! So in effect Patrick Duffy's return as Bobby had quite a detrimental effect on that years storyline of Wes being Jock. If Duffy had not have come back it's highly likely that the Ben Stivers character from season 9 would have turned out to really be Jock Ewing. :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,490
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    I'm not sure, though. I really doubt Katzman ever planned for Wes to actually be Jock -- although the actors were apparently told different things, as I've said. I think it was always intended to end ambivalently.

And Katzman knew Duffy (and himself) would be returning to the show early enough that they could have warded off the Parmalee plot if they felt they needed to, but they didn't.

Interestingly, I remember a letter to TVGuide a couple of years earlier with the writer saying that DALLAS should have the return of Jock Ewing, and named Steve Forrest or James Arness as "perfect" for the role.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. garry

garry Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Original Member Since:
    Regarding Wes being Jock.

"No that was not a possibility, anymore than it was our intention to bring back Patrick as his twin brother, which we joked about. No, Jock was there; that painting of him was virtually there in every episode and how could you do that? We would not do that and it certainly would not serve him. The character of Jock remained in Dallas all the way through. So insinuations that Wes was Jock were there, but there was never any intention to do that, no."

David Paulsen
    Dallas writer/producer

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +70
    That makes sense. If they had intended for Wes to be Jock, they would have signed Steve Forrest with an option for a longer term, as opposed to someone who wasn’t available for the full season. Or they would have signed a different actor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. johnmmil10

johnmmil10 Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I didn’t mind the storyline, but I thought it got messed up with the dream.

6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +968
    Original Member Since:
    14 September 2001
    I don't think I've ever seen that before. Nice to see it settled definitively.

7. Jon Ewing Jr.

Jon Ewing Jr. Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Suppose they did try to make him Jock. I have often wondered how it would have played out. What do yall think?

8. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +3,490
    Original Member Since:
    September 2000
    Recasting of core characters in a primetime show never really works. Just as they shouldn't have tried it with Donna Reed.

I mean, could you imagine Donna Reed as Jock? Taking down her own portrait from the living room wall??