Dallas Character Wes Parmalee story with hindsight

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by pete lashmar, Aug 23, 2017.

1. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +423
    One should just skip the dream season. Just watch 01-07, 09. 08 never happened (DVD count).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    That's about it. I have old TV Guides from back then. I should look at them. I know NBC moved Miami Vice opposite Dallas that fall and Dallas won hands down. Ratings didn't really start to drop that much until the following season.

3. JR Ewing Fan

JR Ewing Fan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I don't even remember. It's had to have been over a decade though.
    That's about it. I have old TV Guides from back then. I should look at them. I know NBC moved Miami Vice opposite Dallas that fall and Dallas won hands down. Ratings didn't really start to drop that much until the following season.

4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,926
    Yes, I imagine Wes whispered to Ellie knowing about all that Nazi treasure buried out in Section 40 -- the real reason she never wanted anyone to drill for oil there.

Miss Ellie is thrown from her horse and dies at the end of S14 (per DVD count) while she's taking the family out to Section 40 to reveal their ugly WW2 secret once and for all; a few episodes into the next season, just after her funeral, Ray and Clayton in a Braddock bar discuss the fact that one of them had just found a little blurb in a small town Canadian newspaper stating that cowpoke Wes Parmalee, "the old faker" the two men huff, had just died.

And nothing again is ever said about it. Nor any mention of the chronological parallel between Wes' death and Ellie's.

(Did I already mention all that earlier in this thread? Ha -- I've gotta go re-read.)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Via The Elf

Via The Elf Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    No don't skip the dream season, there's some great episodes in there even if it did turn out to all be a dream it's all very watchable. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Via The Elf

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795

Bobby's will, heartbreaking to watch. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +423
    I disagree. You'd never see Stivers, never see any of the odds things that bled from the dream season into the season when Pam awoke, etc. Go from "Swan Song," to "Return to Camelot," and never look back.

8. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    But there are also things from the pre-dream season that will make no sense skipping the dream.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +423
    Like what? We see Bobby die, then we see Pam wake up and tell Bobby about his death and everything else she dreamed and Bobby say none of that ever happened.

10. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    What about the blonde sitting in the car outside the house?

11. Via The Elf

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I've answered this before, it's Donna Reed's Miss Ellie in the car! She's after revenge after Barbara Bel Geddes came back and was intending to knock her down but she's confused & goes to Pam's house by mistake! She then get's cold feet & just drives off!! Simples!! ;) :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,583
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Undoubtedly it was that Dreary woman! She had done it before...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  13. TJames03

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +423
    Simply unknown. Just like the woman throwing tomato juice at the TV.

14. Via The Elf

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +795
    That's Barbara Bel Geddes in that scene! When she hears that Bobby & Jenna are getting married, she loses it & throws the tomato juice at the telly screen knowing that she won't be there, Donna Reed will! Simples! ;) :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +586
    I was also one of the viewers who felt that way. At the time I thought the idea that Wes Parmalee might be Jock was so impossible to believe that I really didn't like the storyline. Wes Parmalee didn't look anything like Jock. A helicopter crash could have changed a lot of things but one thing a helicopter crash wouldn't do is change a man's entire build. I'm surprised that the casting agent didn't even hire an actor who had a similar build to that of Jim Davis. It's very hard to become emotionally invested in a storyline of the premise it's based on ( this man could be Jock), is impossible to believe. Were some of you wondering how if this man had really been in such a horrific helicopter accident that burned him as badly as they said that he wouldn't have any scars on his face? That he wasn't crippled or didn't even walk with a limp? He'd been through all of that and was able bodied enough in his late mid to late seventies to be the new foreman of Southfork?

After what Dallas fans had had to put up with over the last few seasons, you almost wonder if the writers were intentionally trying to kill any remaining credibility the series had.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    It must have been like Lord of the Flies in that writing room.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +506
    Very insightful comment, as usual, by Kenny Coyote.
    And I really like the actor Steve Forrest, and they could have used him in a much better role. Imagine this:

Steve Forrest shows up as an oil man asking questions around Dallas, and the members of the cartel are noticeably concerned. We find out that Forrest was a rough-and-tumble wildcatter who came up the same time Jock did. Forrest was a shrewd, ruthless businessman who they thought had retired years ago.

Forrest sets his sights on Ewing oil, and he is strong enough that Bobby, J.R. and even Ray have to band together to fight him. While fighting him, they start to have a begrudging respect for him, because they realize he is rebuilding his empire the same way Jock originally did back in the day. In fact, one of the ways they outmaneuver him is with conversations like this:

Bobby: "J.R., why do you suppose Forrest is spending time in that small town?"
    J.R. "If he's doing like Daddy did, then he's in all the bars and cafes, finding out who owns the land we're after."

and

J.R.: "Bobby, I just can't figure what Forrest wants with all that farmland he's buying. There's no oil under there."
    Bobby: "I know what Daddy would have done. He would buy up the surrounding farmland so he could get the easements for the pipeline."
    J.R.: "You're right, Bob. We better move fast if we're gonna beat him!"

Forward several episodes, and J.R, Bobby, and Forrest eventually come to respect the fight and respect each other. The even start working on a few deals together. Now, we have an older, strong, Jock type back in the series. But instead of the Wes Parmely storyline, the character is allowed to develop organically.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +586
    That's a great idea! Very creative and much more believable.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. retrosonic

retrosonic Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Agreed ! That scenario would have been much more believable. I can think of others also..... heres one:
    Wes Parmalee and Jock did wildcatting together in their early days, Parmalee did Jock a big favor that was never repaid. The two meet up again in South America, and Jock modifies his will to pay Parmalee back by giving him a certain lucrative Ewing oil field. This doesnt sit well with JR and Bobby, who dont know him from a hole in the wall, and try to block it. Ray comes down on Parmalees side, which causes friction between Ray and Bobby.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,801
    If they'd done the right thing and brought back Bobby without resorting to the dream then either of those scenarios could have been a way of keeping Forrest without doubling up on the back-from-the-dead premise.

• Like Like x 1