Westworld

Discussion in 'Cult TV' started by Kevmac, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Kevmac

Kevmac Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    Westworld is an American science fiction thriller television series created by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy for HBO, based on the 1973 film of the same name, which was written and directed by American novelist Michael Crichton. Nolan serves as executive producer along with Joy, J. J. Abrams and Bryan Burk with Nolan directing the pilot. The first episode premiered on October 2, 2016.

The series takes place in fictional Westworld, a technologically advanced, Western-themed amusement park populated completely by synthetic androids dubbed "Hosts", who cater to high paying visitors dubbed "Newcomers", also known as "Guests", who can do what they wish within the park without fear of retaliation from the Hosts.

Watched the pilot of this show tonight. Thought it was very good. :) Chock-a-block of all the high-quality CGI effects, location sets and imaginative ideas that were so spoiled with these days..... Some excellent performances too, particularly from Evan Rachel Wood (Delores Abernathy) , James Marsden, Thandi Newton and Anthony Hopkins (who always gives a great performance). Only weak link in the cast was Simon Quarterman as (Lee Sizemore) :oops:

Looking forward to the next episode ;)

Anyone else started to watch this show... ?

What did you think....?

MV5BMTEyODk5NTc2MjNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDQ5NTgwOTkx._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

westworld-anthony-hopkins-jeffery-wright.jpg

MarsdenWoodHBO675.jpg

screen-shot-2016-03-14-at-5.30.07-pm.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. Zach

Zach Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +409
    I haven't started yet and will probably wait until the whole season is available, but I am really looking forward to this although I have absolutely no idea what to expect from the show :D

• Like Like x 4
  3. Kevmac

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    @Zach You will enjoy it, Sir... I'm sure. Did you ever see the 1973 movie "Westworld" ?

• Like Like x 5
  4. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,662
    I'm looking forward to this, I've not seen the movie and I know naff all about it, but if JJ Abrams is involved, then so am I :D

• Like Like x 5
  5. Kevmac

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    I think you'll like it, Sir.... :) it moves at a fairly slow pace but is full of intrigue and potential excitement..... o_O

• Like Like x 3
  6. Zach

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +409
    No, I have not. I might watch it but then again, I don't want to spoil the show.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Winner

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,405
    This is on my to watch list. Sounds interesting and I like the cast. I will wait until there are more episodes available. I just cant watch week to week anymore.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Kevmac

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,319
    I know what you mean, Alexis.... We always save stuff up to watch. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +168
    Is anyone watching this? Four episodes in, so far, I think it's great television. Intellectually stimulating, fascinating, fantastic acting- this show has so much depth. I was initially reluctant to watch this as I did not see how they could make an effective series on it, and I still don't know how they can keep extending the premise- but they have done a bang-up job of it so far. The writing is fantastic. This is definitely one to look into, I am very excited to see where the rest of it goes. I turned to it after seeing the fantastic reviews on it, much like I did "Stranger Things." While "Stranger Things" is totally different and lighter- although amazing- this is very very serious science fiction. It's a real treat so far.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475784/

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/westworld/

• Like Like x 4
  10. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,656
    I tried with the pilot because the poster looked great, the plot sounded interesting and the reviews have been good. But I didn't really like it. I was bored.
    Some have said that this might be the new Game of Thrones, but there's just no way! No no. It might get popular, but a new GOT it is not.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,662
    We watched the first episode but I have no idea what it was all about.

Are the viewers expected to know the difference between who are hosts and who are the guests?

Are the guests human?
    Are those watching human?
    How do they get from that laboratory to the actual place they are watching?
    What or why do the guests go to this place?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,318
    I've been watching, and love the series so far. I was confused at first but it gets addicting as you continue watching.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,662
    I hope so because the first episode did intrigue me, yet frustrate me at the same time because I struggled with it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    I had high expectations for this show and watched the pilot a couple of weeks back. It didn't really grab me enough to want to continue with it. I liked Anthony Hopkins performance and character, but the rest left me a little cold. Also, although I'm not opposed to a certain amount of violence in a series, this seemed a little over the top. Seeing peoples face being blown off as they were shot in the back of the head etc.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,662
    Gosh, I can't even remember that and it's only a few weeks since I watched it.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    Yeah it was near the end, in the shoot out at the brothel. I think the guy was playing the piano.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zach

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +409
    I haven't watched the finale yet, but I have to say, this is one confusing show. If I had watched this on a weekly basis, I'd have probably given up after 3 or 4 episodes as at this point, I really didn't care a lot.
    But things began to make more sense in episodes 6 and 7, although I still don't get half of it.

I think the violence (especially towards women, disgusting!) is too much and too graphic, I really don't like that. Very disturbing stuff sometimes!

The actors all give wonderful performances and the music and cinematography are beautiful, but the story and characters aren't too compelling IMO. I can't relate to any of these characters and the story all seems like a big riddle. It's a little bit too confusing for my taste.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,318
    I wasn't sure about the series but I watched the season, and thought it was great. I agree there is pretty graphic death scenes, and violence. I was more upset seeing how they made the hosts always sit naked was disturbing.

The cast is amazing Anthony Hopkins was great but his character was not one of my favourites.

My favourite characters are Delores, Maeve, Bernard, Teddy, Clementine and Hector.

The finale was pretty wild I didn't expect what happened.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Ed Harris was great in the series, but his scenes were really violent.

[​IMG]

My favourite character
    Maeve
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Pamela_E

Pamela_E administrator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +98
    This is my new fav show. Until I saw this I didn't realise I missing something in my TV watching world. A show that has brilliant characters and intellectually hits the spot without being pretentious.

Watching for the second time now!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. xab

xab Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +73
    One of the best series (if not the best ) I've watched since ages... The writing is stunning... Pure genius. It's like a puzzle... And the final twist is amazing. (If you like movies such as "The Sixth sense" or "The Others" or "Inception", this is definitely designed for you.
    It drives you to think twice about the human condition. It's about gods, about reality, about the meaning of our existences... And what stuff are our dreams made of...? You never know... Very intelligent...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1