1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are YOU doing to help the environment?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Justine, May 6, 2019.

1. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +783
    There's so much outcry about the state of our planet lately - recent reports from the United Nations have now said that 1 million species of plants and animals are now threatened with extinction. So, I'm curious to see if maybe we can throw around tips to one another about environmentally-friendly brands, companies and what each one of us do to keep our lives sustainable.

2. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator EXP: 20 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,843
    I've not been in a aeroplane in over 10 years, I don't drive and rarely travel by car to anywhere, always preferring to go by public transport or walk. I only eat meat and animal products for half the week and eat vegan food for the other half because avoiding meat and dairy products is the single biggest way to reduce your environmental impact on the planet. (I don't believe being 100% vegan is healthy unless you are meticulous about where you get all your minerals and amino acids from).

I don't buy a lot of clothes and when I do I wear them out before I buy again. I think it's been over a year since I last bought an item of clothing except for underpants and socks. When things break I try to get them fixed rather than buying new.

I never have a bath, always showers, and to save water I shower by switching it on to get wet and then I turn it off while I apply soap to my body before turning to shower back on to wash the soap off. Washing while the shower is constantly running is really wasteful of water.

I rarely turn my heating above 20 degrees Celsius in the winter and for more than half the year I never turn my heating on. I always stockpile my laundry so my washing machine always takes a full load and I wash dishes by hand. (I did try for a while to wash my clothes by hand but if was too much of an effort).

I really think as a people we are not taking the climate change anywhere near seriously enough. The capitalist idea that making money and spending money is the best way to run the economy has taken us to the brink of disaster. We are already seeing the consequences of climate change and more extreme weather is now the norm rather than an occasional occurrence. I think we are now in an emergency situation and we need to take drastic action now to avoid our planet becoming less habitable for future generations.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 7 Years

Threads:
    Procrastinatress
    Ratings:
    +5,591
    I don't travel much.
    I don't use disposable knives, forks and plates etc.
    I recycle paper, plastic, glass, metal, batteries etc.

Not much else, I'm afraid.