What are you most excited to see?

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Emelee, Sep 12, 2018.

?

What are you most excited for?

1. Finding out more about real Cristal

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Steven's baby & Sam's reaction

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. To see if Alexis's hair survived

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Jeff and Monica taking whats theirs

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Crazy Kirby

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  6. Anything with Fallon

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  7. To find out who started the fire

3 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. All new crazy plots

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,766
    What story are you most excited to see when season 2 begins?
    Multiple choice question.

2. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,169
    I have to say what I'm anticipating the most is seeing how the show loses some of its ragged edges as the cast and crew have gotten to know one another better. The first season was their "getting to know you" period, but now they will be able to focus more on improving and (hopefully) showing just how good they can be. It should exhibit a bit of streamlining in story pacing and a more "purposeful" feel for every scene.

The first season of a show is typically very tentative. The actors are still getting a grasp of their characters, being "experimental" at times simply because they aren't being given decisive direction. The storylines can turn on a dime as the writers are ordered to switch course when something isn't working. The first season can also be when a lot of stuff is discovered to "not be working," and those aspects of the show are removed (one way or another) when the show returns for the second season.

Since this show tends to move quickly, I can imagine it won't take very long to pick out some of the changes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,425
    Not necessarily a bad thing, imo.

4. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,169
    Yes, it's an opportunity to see (in reruns) how a show grows and changes, and hopefully improves. Changes implemented by producers early on end up being great conversation-starters among fans--compare a first-season episode of any long-running series to a last-season episode and you can't help but notice. I'm reminded of how Gary and Val had a half-bathroom off from their living room in the early episodes of Knots Landing, only for it to suddenly turn into a coat closet for the rest of the series.
    Heck, in the pilot of The Golden Girls, Blanche doesn't have a Southern accent, and Rose is....smart! :omg:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    Plus they had a live-in gay cook who disappeared without any explanation, and Blanche's bedroom was down the opposite hallway. And her surname was Hollingsworth (though that was reconciled by having it be her maiden name, so it makes sense she would still answer to it).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,169
    On many occasions, I've seen shows improve in their second season and "hit their stride" so to speak, so I'm hoping this will happen with nuDynasty. This whole Cristal situation makes me nervous, though, and there's still the pressure to improve their ratings situation. Sometimes this pressure causes a show to take "do-or-die" types of risks that ultimately harm more than help. I also really hope they will continue to use the original series as a blueprint, but not as an instruction manual.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,425
    Now I'm curious to know which ones, and what changes improved the quality of those series (and I don't mean technical stuff like names or furniture).

8. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,684
    Well I guess the Soapland seasons battle where the top 3 were season 2 of Falcon Crest, Dynasty and Dallas might support that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,684
    I wouldn't go as far as using the word excited but I am curious about what Alexis will get up to this season, what NuCristal will be like, if we get to meet the real Adam, and I'd like to see where the Liam/Fallon relationship goes. Fallon only begun to be bearable for me when she was with Liam and I thought he was a great character, likeable, funny, cute and charismatic. Something the show really needed. Kirby could turn out to be a fun character too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,425
    Falcon Crest adjusted its format but I don't think it affected the tone and essence of the show. For at least three years it was a steady ensemble and I could think of it as one story.
    And if there's one soap season that wasn't tentative then it was Dynasty's season 1 because it looked like a televised novel.

To me, this looks like great "Dallas":

CW Dynasty's pilot was fabulous, and I saw the potential clash of the classes (Michael vs. Jeff) and then they ignored the Colbys for approx 12 episodes (including a most underwhelming Cecil Colby) and it felt like a storyline here, a character there and Fallon's voice became louder and louder.
    I'm not saying that they didn't know what they were doing (God forbid everything was planned exactly the way it turned out to be) but it's peculiar that almost everyone on this forum noticed a change around the time Jeff and Fallon were preparing for their marriage.
    Was it because we knew Alexis was coming?

It's funny because I don't think that Alexis "saved" original Dynasty (although she probably did, rating-wise) but she was required for the story (you weren't invited, I sent for you).
    On CW Dynasty there wasn't anything going on that required the presence of "Alexis", and yet this time I think she did save Dynasty.
    Not really because of the actress or the character, but somehow she made the other characters more interesting.
    And right now I'm mostly interested to see where the Blake & Alexis story goes, how that feud is going to develop (hopefully).

And will we see the return of Claudia? Is she going to recruit some guerillas for a jaw-dropping comeback cliffhanger? Are we going to witness a shocking sex scene between Blake and Kirby? I like her already.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,684
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that the first season of those three weren't great, they certainly were, but as @Daniel Avery suggested in season 2 they really hit their stride and maybe gained more of a momentum. CW Dynasty's first season on the other hand wasn't that great, but did get better near the end. I think it needs to do a lot of improving before it's anything that resembles 'must see' TV.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,684
    Yeah me too, and I hope as well as being enemies they still have some kind of sexual tension, or the possibility at least that they could get together, however short lived that might be.

13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,425
    And are we going to see Alexis' mother this time?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,169
    Others' mileage may vary, of course, but I'll try to name a few.

Dark Shadows premiered as a moody, somewhat cheap daytime soap about a rich, beleaguered family living in a big old, spooky house who had unspecified tragedies in their past. The show limped along for about a year with forgettable stories more typical of a daytime soap. In a bid to keep from being cancelled, the producers decided to add a sympathetic vampire to the cast, followed by witches, Frankenstein monsters, time travel, parallel universes, werewolves and ghosts. The show became must-see TV in the process. The improvements were such that many TV stations didn't even rerun the first season when DS went into syndication, choosing to start at the point where Barnabas Collins showed up claiming to be their "cousin from England".

The characters of Melrose Place were rather bland and whiny in the first season. Again, they had to shake things up by adding a new character--in this case, Heather Locklear's Amanda. THEN things got fun.

Star Trek: The Next Generation didn't really hit its stride until they killed off Tasha and Riker grew that beard, which occurred sometime before the end of season one. I'm not sure on the timing, but I know if I turn on an episode with a clean-shaven Riker, I have to sigh. It's not that the stories were terrible...they just seemed more superficial to me.

Season one of the sitcom Benson featured a character named Taylor, who was the Governor's unlikeable Chief of Staff. He didn't mesh well with the rest of the characters, so in season two he was replaced by a similar character named Clayton who was drawn from the beginning to be Benson's nemesis/object of ridicule. This allowed viewers to know we were not meant to like him and it was okay not to care for him.

Knots Landing didn't get a proper villain/s***-stirrer until Abby Cunningham and her unruly brats pulled into the cul-de-sac in season two.

Clair Huxtable (of The Cosby Show) famously asked her husband Cliff "Why did we have four children?" in the pilot episode, to which Cliff replied "Because we didn't want to have five." It's a famous exchange because in season two, we found out they really DID have five--or at least they ret-conned an older child named Sondra who showed up to join the cast. Bringing in an adult child added more texture to the clan, since they now had one (adult) child the parents could not order around as easily as they did the others.

The original premise of Empty Nest was that Harry Weston, a widowed pediatrician, was adjusting to life alone for the first time in his life, since he and his wife had raised three daughters who were now all out of the house leading their own lives. The daughters would occasionally stop by, but the main thrust of the series would be Harry trying to keep busy and build a new life. The producers quickly realized this was not fun nor funny, so by season two they had two daughters move back in with him and bicker constantly over 'daddy,' with all new comic possibilities opening up as we saw how neurotic the older daughter was, and how the younger daughter enjoyed mocking her, and Harry secretly longed for his privacy back.

I'm sure there are others, but these are a few that immediately pop to mind. In most cases, the producers didn't mind taking some risks when the alternative was cancellation (what did they have to lose?), but if the show was doing okay, the changes were more subdued--probably because they realized you can "over-tinker".

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 1:26 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    I like imagining her being played by Joan Collins, and there's a scene where she slaps Sheridan's Alexis, who then turns around and slaps Fallon, who bemoans that she doesn't have a daughter to slap. :lol:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    Especially since that same adult child wound up telling them off!

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,403
    Just what should have happened with Fallon and Amanda.

• Creative Creative x 1
  18. ABrown

ABrown Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +10
    More of Elizabeth Gillies (Fallon)'s sweet sweet behind. So for the purpose of this poll, "anything with Fallon".