1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

What could have been done instead of the "Dream Season"?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by ClassyCo, Sep 13, 2016.

?

How could Bobby have been brought back?

1. Bobby faked his death

34.8%
  2. Bobby's "evil twin" was the one who died and the real Bobby was being held for ransom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. More than one person "dreamed" that season

4.3%
  4. A dream was the only it could have been explained

30.4%
  5. Other

30.4%
  1. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +626
    It would have to be. Bobby on life support at the start of Season 10? So what was that funeral we watched the previous year? What was all that painful mourning of Bobby from characters in the previous season?

• Like Like x 1
  2. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,793
    Medals:
    LOL.

3. ClassyCo

ClassyCo Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    I gave you a reference to The Bold and the Beautiful where Taylor Forrester did die on camera. She was later "resurrected" (if you will) and it was explained as if she had been in a coma.

Yes, Dallas did have characters "die" off-camera only to bring them back in later episodes/seasons. Just because Bobby did actually "die" before our eyes, does not mean that having the entire 31-episode run of Season 9 being writing off as a dream was the only way it could have been done.

I see it like this: The public was already miffed that Bobby was dead, right? The producers and particularly Larry Hagman wanted Patrick Duffy back because ratings had dipped. Okay, but I honestly do not think the audience or the critics would have been quite as upset had Bobby "faked" his death instead of writing an entire season off as a one-night dream. Quite honestly, I'm sure that ticked most of the audience off, and I wouldn't be scared to guess that's why the ratings dipped even further in Season 10. With Bobby having faked his death, there would have been no need for Season 9 to be a dream. I mean, come on, we're talking about a soap opera. Yes, no matter how Dallas (or any of the others for that matter) liked to disguise themselves, they were soap operas. Sure, Bobby was buried. But we didn't see him in the casket did we? Then how would we know that Bobby wasn't actually and pretending to be dead? It isn't that far of a stretch of the imagination. I think if one can accept that Pam dreamed long enough to fill up 31 hours of TV (including commercials), I think one can believe that Bobby just might not have been dead, and there there would not have been a dream.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +626
    But Bobby did die. The way I see it, the fact that people missed Bobby and were miffed that he was dead doesn't mean that he should have been brought back from the dead. Death is a part of life's experiences that shape people. Characters evolved for 31 episodes in the aftermath of Bobby's death with all the grief (which the viewers were a part of), and that was completely undone as if it had never happened. Storylines being reset to a year earlier and taking a different path in Season 10 left a much worse taste than Bobby coming back from the dead per se. It's no coincidence that I find the best storylines of Season 10 to be completely new storylines unrelated to a different take on the previous year's events, i.e. J.R.'s involvement with B.D. Calhoun and the fall out, with Nancy Scottfield's desire to take down Ewing Oil.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    This reminds me of Criminal Minds when Emily Prentiss faked her death. After she was seen bleeding on the floor, they cut to the hospital where one of the other agents on their team shakes her head at the rest of the team when she meets them in the waiting room. Then, they had a fake funeral for her with an empty coffin and even went so far as to put up a framed picture of her on the wall with the other photos of dead FBI agents. Cut to the end where we see Emily talking to one of the team about passports and other travel stuff. For the rest of the season, almost everybody on the team believes she is dead until she comes back at the beginning of the season after and gives them a heart attack.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    I still don't think you are getting what I am trying to say. Just because we saw Bobby "die" does not mean he was really dead. You mentioned Gary's "death" on Knots Landing. As I recall, he was actually given a funeral. I cannot remember if we actually saw Gary "die" on camera, but I do fondly remember the showing of his funeral. Bobby's death could have been as easily faked as Gary's had been, and in saying that, I don't think Knots Landing would have drifted away from the Dallas world. The Knots could have simply addressed that Bobby faked his death, and the revelation of that could have the necessary affects on Gary, Valene, Betsy and Bobby et cetera.

In the simplest terms: I think the writing off of Season 9 as a dream was lazy on the writers' part, and I do believe it undermined the audiences' involvement with the characters. You said that the audience also mourned Bobby's death with the other characters throughout Season 9. I'm sure they did, and I'm sure that's why they must have been ticked when Season 10 told that that it was all a dream, thus making the emotions they had felt false and unnecessary. The thing I cannot seem to get over is the fact that a entire season of acting, writing, and of watching is just pointless to the entire show. I started watching the first three or four episodes of Season 9 just to see how different the show was, and, of course, it was. I was going to watch it to see if I would have preferred Bobby stayed dead or the fact he was brought back alive. Well, I'm not going to do that now. I see little point in spending my time watching 31 episodes that will have absolutely no ties to what comes after it. I will pick up where I left off with Season 8 at the start of Season 10. I my mind, I guess I'm not going to acknowledge that Season 9 even exists.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,220
    Medals:
    Yes. This is what I've always said. There was plenty of time between the flatline cliffhanger and the family returning home at the beginning of the nest season. It would have been easy to say that he had been revived after they had been rushed out of the room

• Like Like x 3
  8. ClassyCo

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +588
    Yes, something as easy as that could have explained that Bobby didn't actually die, and there would have been no need for the dream.

• Like Like x 2
  9. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,793
    Medals:
    It would have taken just a little bit of planning and imagination to make the pieces fit. I think most of the audience would have been glad to suspend the disbelief, if Bobby's exit mattered so much. But they wanted to wipe it all off and start anew, and in the process destroyed the show's credibility.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +626
    We didn't see it, and it was noticeable that none of Gary's Texas relatives were there at that funeral. And the whole thing lasted 1 episode. That's easy to explain as being Mack's faking of Gary's death, with Gary's consent.

Bobby was dead, which we not only saw on screen, but he was dead for 31 episodes afterwards. Very different. I think Knots Landing were correct to not address Bobby Ewing again and cut off any more storyline links with Dallas.

Exactly.

I'm different. I go through Seasons 9 and 10, and stop with Pam going into the oil tanker. Bobby's death and return from the dead are a big part of the Dallas legend now, and Season 10 does have some good storylines, and it's the last time with Hagman, Duffy, Principal, Bel Geddes and Gray all together. I've only watched Dallas all the way through 14 seasons and the J.R. Returns and War of the Ewings specials just the once. It was a bit like torture watching those late seasons all the way through.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +638
    I think if they were going to go with the dream thing, they should have had it be Bobby's dream. Skip back to the night before he "died", he and Pam had just reunited, they went to bed, he dreamt the whole thing, he wakes up 31 episodes later. Same kind of thing, but for whatever reason, I think it would have worked better that way.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    Of course, then it would be Bobby's nightmare! Seeing Pam spending all of that time with Mark and marrying him!

13. Miss Texas 1967

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Creepy too with the JR and Mandy and then JR and Sue Ellen scenes.
    Actually, no matter who was dreaming, some scenes come across as creepy when you think about it.
    Why would Pam want to think about JR and Mandy in the bathtub? :p

• Like Like x 4
  14. Presea

Presea Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,484
    She was also dreaming about Jack in his underwear! And I'm guessing that her imagination created Angelica Nero based on the things that Katherine did! I'm surprised that she didn't immediately make sure that Marinos shipping did not exist as soon as she woke up!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,621
    Medals:
    Interesting idea but what's off with it is that usually if you dream that you are dying you tend to wake up.

16. Miss Texas 1967

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Darn :frustration:

17. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,526
    Medals:
    I just love the audacity of it. The episode where you find out it was all a dream remains one of my most exciting TV experiences ever.

Ever since I've been on the internet I've noticed a tendency for fans to paint show runners who have displeased them as megalomaniacal soap opera baddies. I'm not convinced. I suspect that, like the rest of us, they're both more complicated and more mundane than that.

That's not how I remember it. I think people were not so much miffed that Bobby was dead, but at how the show turned out after he was dead. Certainly, that was my feeling.

Pointless on one level, but on another, it's an essential part of the DALLAS experience.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    I did not mind so much that it turned up as a dream because to me after the first six episodes everything sucked and Dallas just like the TNT Dallas didn't seem like the original anymore and also the ratings went downhill that is why the writers and producers had to come up with a way to change things around for the next season.
    Yes the dream made the show lose credibility but the following Season was better and Dallas seem like Dallas again.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maryann

Maryann Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +590
    I did not mind so much that it turned up as a dream because to me after the first six episodes everything sucked and Dallas just like the TNT Dallas didn't seem like the original anymore and also the ratings went downhill that is why the writers and producers had to come up with a way to change things around for the next season.
    Yes the dream made the show lose credibility but the following Season was better and Dallas seem like Dallas again.

20. JROG

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,793
    Medals:
    All that may be true, but it still doesn't change what I said. Katzman isn't a megalomaniacal soap opera baddie if he wanted to do what I mentioned, at least not to me, if that was your assumption. In fact, it proves just how complicated and, indeed, human he is.

We are talking about a Hollywood producer who was in control of one of the hugest shows that ever existed for a long time, before the show was given to someone else. On top of that, the show certainly took a very different direction post-Bobby than it would have if Katzman was still around.

Is it really that big of a stretch for him to come back and think, if this was a dream, we get Bobby back and can pick up where we left off and do things our way? Especially after you've already said people weren't happy with how the show turned out after Bobby's death? No. Not at all.

Or maybe it didn't occur to him that the non-Katzman material would be effectively wiped off!