What could have been done instead of the "Dream Season"?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by ClassyCo, Sep 13, 2016.

?

How could Bobby have been brought back?

1. Bobby faked his death

34.8%
  2. Bobby's "evil twin" was the one who died and the real Bobby was being held for ransom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. More than one person "dreamed" that season

4.3%
  4. A dream was the only it could have been explained

30.4%
  5. Other

30.4%
  1. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,269
    Medals:
    As I remember it, DALLAS was never regarded as a serious drama and was almost always spoken of as a joke -- albeit an incredibly popular joke. That might have just been a UK thing, but even when the actors themselves appeared on chat shows over here, they'd mock the show along with the presenters. It was only when I came on the internet that I realised other countries had a much more serious perception of the show.

• Like Like x 1
  2. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    Medals:
    Even when multiple murderer (at least 4, including murdering his pregnant fiancee on their wedding day at Christmas) and occasional arsonist Warren Fox (Jamie Lomas) got trapped in a fire, broke his ankle, had a mirror fall on him and leave a bit of mirror in him, his body was positively identified by people who knew him and he had a funeral, the saving grace was that you didn't actually see his face when he was dead. So when it was proposed offering Jamie Lomas a storyline to bring him back to Hollyoaks, they did a flashback story to show you how Warren befriended a suicidal man (Dale Greer) who later rescued Warren out of the fire and decided that he instead wanted to live. At which point Warren stabbed him, swapped clothing and dumped Dale's body in the fire, the mirror falling on Dale and the fire burning Dale's body. It also helped that the characters who had seen Warren's dead body were no longer on the show, one having been mysteriously murdered in a flashforward episode six months before he actually died and the killer was revealed. So after nearly a year-and-a-half of being dead, Warren was alive and well! Until after another murder he got sent to prison in December 2011 on a murder charge. He recently returned in the shower (turning round at the end of the episode and saying "Did you miss me?) as a full-time regular as the differently-named fiance of the sister of the ex-girlfriend that he was trying to murder when he was caught in 2011. Now he is possibly the father of his ex-fiancee's unborn baby, although he is now in a relationship with her step-daughter (who is also her own child's aunt) and living with her multiple murderer daughter. Although Hollyoaks is nothing like Dallas and it has done some little dream sequences.

Recent Hollyoaks cast pic released yesterday:
    [​IMG]

3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,587
    Medals:
    I agree ... for that moment ... but it's not long before the ramifications begin sinking in and you get over it.

4. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,240
    Medals:
    The Bionic Woman (I met Lindsay Wagner in March) did that in The Six Million Dollar Man (I met Lee Majors in November), and she was brought back to life to star in her own series. The Six Million Dollar Man didn't find out for quite some that she was alive and he was there when she "died".

• Like Like x 2
  5. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    In my Dallas Universe Bobby would have remained dead. The scene was set for the following explosive seasons. J.R., is pent up with exacting revenge on the Barnes family for causing the death of his brother. The reading of Bobby's Will which leaves Pamela controlling Christopher's share in Ewing Oil - it's J.R.'s worst nightmare. Both Pamela and Jenna discover their pregnant with Bobby's child. We could have had scenes of Shakespearean proportions between J.R., and Pamela at Ewing Oil. Instead we're witness to Angelica Nero (her over-the-top wardrobe) and her cronies.
    The producers panicked and desperately sought out Patrick to return. From the moment Bobby spun in the shower all was lost. They treated the fans with contempt and thus our love affair with Dallas began to wane.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,827
    Medals:
    How wonderful: Barbara Curran's DALLAS book provides the answer on why the dream season explanation:

For Katzman, however, pulling off Duffy's return was only the tip of the ice-berg. Katzman thought that, Duffy's absence aside, DALLAS suffered during Season 8 because of three main problems: too much international intrigue, weakened male characters, and a wimpy J.R. [...]
    Writer Howard Lakin recalled that Katzman "couldn't deal with what they had done [in Season 8]. He didn't understand it. He just didn't get a grip on it. And that upset him because he was a very controlling kind of man. So, faced with this, he decided to make the year disappear."

• Like Like x 3
  7. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    That's right. The solution to avoiding the dream season is simple. Don't bring Patrick Duffy back. He made his choice to leave and he was adamant that he would not come back. That's why he demanded to "die on screen." So as a man, he should have kept to his word. It was a big ensemble and they could have utilized some characters more prominently than in the past to fill the void. The integrity of the show was more important than bringing Bobby back and the ratings proved it! They never made it back to #1 or even the top 5 again. In fact the season they brought Bobby back ended up at #11 in the ratings, as compared to the previous season without Bobby which did a much more respectable #6 in the ratings.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    I like a lot of the points you made such as nt bringing Bobby back and having JR seeking revenge on the Brnes family for the death of his brother. This could have brought the Barnes Ewing feud to never before seen proportions.

The only thing I disagree with is "scenes of Shakespearean proportions between JR and Pam at Ewing Oil." Pam was absolutely no match for JR. She didn't have the background, the experience, or the love of the business which drove JR to be so damn good at it and are the elements necessary to be great at the oil business. He would have made mincemeat out of Pam.

9. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,587
    Medals:
    She did have Christopher's interests to protect, though, which was what made it so difficult to understand her ultimately selling out.

10. TJames03

TJames03 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +776
    Medals:
    As ridiculous as it is, a dream would have only been the explanation because they wanted to absolutely erase everything after Bobby's death, not JUST Bobby's death. However, instead of Pam having a dream, it could have been Bobby's while in a coma.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    You are correct when you say Pam was no match against J.R., when it came to the wheeling and dealing, he was the Master. I just wish the producers/writers had the strength to follow a different path than desperately trying to out maneuver Dynasty with stupid characters and story-lines. I thought it brave on Patrick's part to leave such a popular program but by this stage I was over the Bobby vs J.R., thing for control of Ewing Oil. The death of such a major character could have been the catalyst for change. The reading of Bobby's Will showed promise when it was revealed Christopher's 30% share in Ewing Oil was to be administered by Pam. The look these two characters exchanged when that was announced by Harv was priceless.

So many missed opportunities.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    I agree about the international angle. I'm amused about "a wimpy J.R." This is exactly what happened to him in later seasons. Is it possible Katzman struggled with strong female characters when it is implied he had issues with weakened male characters?

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,595
    I don't know; I haven't read much about Katzmann or the behind the scenes stuff. April was a strong female character though and her being strong didn't weaken any of the male characters.

14. JROG

JROG Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,827
    Medals:
    Yes, that's exactly it. The book goes on to say,

Katzman also felt that, during Season 8, "DALLAS had become a women's show." He did not believe DALLAS should "have weak women, but the men have always been the strong characters in the show. The women have been strong in their own right, but they haven't dominated the men."

The writers, said Katzman, "practically ruined J.R. last year. He was deceived by women. They lied to him. If you diminish J.R., you diminish the series."

And he does have a point, in general, about J.R. having to be kept a certain way in order for him, and the show, to work. But, I seem to recall J.R. having lost some of his ruthlessness as early as the season prior to the dream season anyway.

In other words, he just couldn't accept the fact that women heavily drove story during that season, and God forbid, J.R. was duped by Mandy and Angelica. There were never any strong women following his return, except for his pets, who received preferential treatment.

So, yeah, he decided to just erase it all, and it also explains part of the reason why the show really declined following Season 10 (DVD)

• Like Like x 3
  15. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,262
    Interesting. J.R., was constantly being lied/deceived by women from the moment the series began. Julie Gray, Kristin Shepard spring to mind. What I loved about those early years of Dallas were how strong the characters were- both men and women. Jock was a true man's man however one look from Miss Ellie put him in place. And the character of J.R., was well and truly diminished towards the end of the series.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,578
    Medals:
    I go with the dream. I don't see any other way of doing it.

Dallas gets such a hard time over this but in recent years SO MANY OTHER soaps have copied - not with a dream - but by bringing characters that were thought to be dead back to life - EastEnders has done it multiple times. I don't get why there is such a focus on Dallas' dream season, when EastEnders had both Dirty Den and Kathy Beale return after over 15 years thought to be dead.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,578
    Medals:
    :huh:
    Is it any wonder??

18. KayLloyd

KayLloyd Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +517
    It should never have been Pam's dream, that was their big mistake. That explanation made absolutely no sense at all. It was far more logical to explain the season away as Bobby being in a coma and "hearing" his visitors as they came and went. It would have accomplished the same thing that they needed to do to bring Bobby back without the ridiculousness.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,587
    Medals:
    That's literally true. The real question is whether the year's events should have been erased.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    Neither Dirty Den nor Kathy died on screen. Kathy's death was completely off screen in a car crash in South Africa. With Dirty Den in 1989, we saw him walking and then a camera cut to a person with a gun hidden within a bunch of flowers, who shot in Dirty Den's direction, and then we heard a plop in the water (off screen). Bobby was seen to be run over on screen, and was seen to die on screen, flatlining before our eyes.

The fact that Dallas got a hard time also gives more credibility to the idea that Dallas was seen as a serious drama, despite the soap opera elements in it. EastEnders just isn't to that level. Also, Dirty Den and Kathy had been away for a long time before they returned, whereas Bobby was only away for 1 year, and that 1 year was dominated by people's grief following Bobby's death.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1