1. The World Cup of Soap Operas

Click here for more details
    Dismiss Notice

What could have been done instead of the "Dream Season"?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by ClassyCo, Sep 13, 2016.

?

How could Bobby have been brought back?

1. Bobby faked his death

34.8%
  2. Bobby's "evil twin" was the one who died and the real Bobby was being held for ransom

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. More than one person "dreamed" that season

4.3%
  4. A dream was the only it could have been explained

30.4%
  5. Other

30.4%
  1. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    My thoughts exactly. That hospital scene when Bobby dies was gut-wrenching. How was the next season going to play out. I couldn't wait. How disappointing as it played out. Then in that last scene when Bobby spins in the shower my immediate thought was "What the Hell?" For me it was that "jump the shark" moment. The producers/writers were asking me to suspend the previous season as a dream. It was a step too far, and I wasn't alone.

2. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,108
    Medals:
    I feel everything thence gone is cancelled out by the phrase jump the shark which I have never understood lol

However why is it ok for viewers to HEAR that Kathy in EastEnders is dead only return 14 years later? Is it different because we SAW Bobby die?

3. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +626
    It makes it easier to bring her back. The storyline said that it was an insurance scam in faking her death. When Dirty Den came back in 2003 after over 14 years, the storyline said it was somebody else that was shot. These explanations might be over the top, but they are possible. The point about the time passed is important too. If they've been away from EastEnders for 14 years, so much else has been going in the show since, and very little of that is talking about Dirty Den and Kathy. New viewers might not even know who they are.

What could they say with Bobby if they just brought him back from the dead, except by using the dream? And considering that he was gone from Dallas for only 1 year, a year dominated by other characters' grief following Bobby's death, it's a big difference from being away for 14 years and the show barely mentioning you since.

4. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    Medals:
    I'm not sure about calling twice "multiple". Two isn't numerous or several, which is what is usually meant by using the term, "multiple". Although 1 muliplied by 2=2. With Warren Fox on Hollyoaks, the viewer didn't see the moment of expiration and his dead body's face, so his escape from death was able to be explained away with specially shot flashback scenes showing Warren murdering his friend/rescuer and swapping outfits and dumping his rescuer's body in the fire, a badly burned body that was identified incorrectly and a suggestion of some behind-the-scenes corruption. It was also shown in the flashback footage that a regular character, Theresa McQueen, was aware that Warren was still alive, during the period that he was dead. And the resolution doesn't wipe out the problems that his stepbrother Spencer had, dealing with Warren's "death".

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  5. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +747
    I think the dream was the only logical way forward. Both Dallas and the fans wanted Bobby back - the same character that PD had always played.

As far as the show was concerned Larry and Dack Rambo didn't get on and that's the only reason he was brought in, to be the new Bobby - as soon as PD was back it was bye bye Jack.

Considering when he died he had one mum and when he was buried he had another I don't see why the dream was such a big thing.

But I do believe that once they knew PD was coming back they could have put in a few things that made viewers think - abstract things that confused the viewer in a "What the hell is going on" kind of way...paving the way for the dream reveal.

It's a shame because Swan Song was one of the very best episodes of the show.

I also think that it had a big impact on when VP left - because of what happened with PD they left the Pam story far too open - something VP was very upset about and I have to agree with her - producers falsely led viewers into thinking VP would be back on a few occasions, yet she had absolutely no intentions of doing so.

I think it was about this time that the producers gave up on what their viewers wanted, they completely lost touch and then followed VP's exit with a whole string of others and brought in brand new characters that were not very well received.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    I went for 'Other'.
    What? Not sure yet,let me sleep on it.....

7. Ferney

Ferney Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Exactly. i think without the "dream" aspect, we never would have gotten the very excellent Season 10- which was surely the best one from season 9 to the end. There was all that shitty baggage they would have had to contend with from season 9 and they wiped it clean- some sort of twin would have been stupid as hell- I can't imagine the slog we would have had to go through explaining all of that.
    Season 10 was really good to me- and I'm thankful for it. If I had to get it thought a dumb dream explanation, i'll take it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,823
    You make an excellent point. Because those involved made Dallas a standout it lifted the viewers expectations - we were along for the ride - so to speak. When those same clowns decided to bring back Bobby it treated the viewers with contempt and we retaliated by withdrawing from the show. It's a very fine balancing act when writing/producing such a series. A recent example was "Revenge". Thoroughly loved the premise (and season 1) however when season 2 rolled around something went astray and they lost me, never to return.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tullamore

Tullamore Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Lynch mob time lol....

Pam wakes up,finds Bobby in the shower. He explains it was not him who died but the an imposter who joined forces in Nero's plot to take over Marinos and Ewing oil . Made to look like Bobby through plastic surgery but not too much as there was a resemblance and research into his life,it was in fact Warren Ewing,Jason's estranged son who had Bobby kidnapped while he took his place. Katherine unwittingly killed Warren and once Angelica was caught Bobby escaped (a flashback we see Jack,Ray,Clayton,Cliff rescue him ). Wes is just a ranch hand who has a fling with Ellie,Jamie dies and Sue Ellen is paralysed). The season cliffhanger (10)has Mark revealing he is the real mastermind and his father Andreas Nero died years ago due to negligence on Jock's behalf.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  10. Mustard

Mustard Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +626
    This is bizarre, not to mention ironic considering what was later done to J.R. in the last 3 seasons. Is Leonard Katzman referring to Angelica Nero keeping everyone in the dark as to the fact that she wanted to kill Jack and J.R. in Martinique, after she had paraded them in public, so that she could claim the inheritance of Dimitri Marinos' estate? That's the behaviour of a ruthless mafia type villain, which Angelica Nero is. Or is Katzman referring to the fact that Angelica came for revenge against Grace, Nicholas, Jack and J.R. after her scheme went sour, and had evaded police forces on different continents for some time before she was arrested?

In Seasons 12-14 DVD, with Leonard Katzman and Larry Hagman as Executive Producers, J.R. is at his weakest ever by a long way. Heck, even in Season 10 DVD (the best season without Philip Capice as Executive Producer), J.R. is humiliated for large periods by B.D. Calhoun, who toys with J.R. in an unprofessional manner for a mercenary who has been betrayed. Or is that okay purely because Calhoun is male? Most strange.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,842
    Medals:
    Yes.

If they had started doing weird stuff a few episodes before it - just random things, things that might happen in a dream, it would've at least been believable (though why Pam would dream about all these people...). As it was it was a fully coherent season - if with quite a few lows past the first ten or so episodes - but telling the viewer to forget about it was a huge "sod off" moment.

But they wrote themselves in a corner. Bobby's death was such a thing they wanted to hammer into the viewers so they couldn't really find a way to bring him back when push came to shove. Personally, I think season nine could've been excellent with the right direction but alas it wasn't going to happen.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,731
    Medals:
    If they had to bring Bobby back (and believe me I'm against his returning to the show) then it should've been Bobby's coma dream.
    The season 9 cliffhanger could've been, that Pam speaks to the nurse about her husband's condition, we the audience think she's referring to Mark, but as she approaches the bed we see it's actually Bobby, slowly waking up.....season 10 could reveal that before Bobby went into Coma Land, he and Pam had a bedside wedding in the hospital.

• Like Like x 1