What flavor should each DYNASTY season have had?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,134
    What tone or flavor should each season have had, in your best estimation? Which years fell short of what you felt they should exude, and which came close to living up to that?

This is not so much about plot or even character, but how each year should, or perhaps did, taste.

[​IMG]

Season 1 -- someone here once described the first year as being "all cabernet and dark chocolates," and while that's a bit strong, the glamour of the Carrington world felt more organic and less over-the-top. And the middle class Blaisdels created an effective contrast to the privilege. True, not every moment looked nor felt like the first scene in the library in "Krystle's Lie" or many parts of "The Dinner Party," but, later, the show would have a hard time conjuring that kind of low-key sumptuousness.

Season 2 -- I wouldn't really change anything; the feel of the year is consistent with what it needed at this point in its development and self-definition.

Season 3 -- this is the point where the show needed to feel just a wee bit more like Colorado (instead of less) even if that could only be achieved through the use of stock footage; the interior of the lobby of La Mirage is the best metaphor for how the third year missed the boat --- is it a stucco wonderland, or is it a glorified ski lodge? Or both? But the soulless beige lobby offered no appeal whatsoever... However, I don't mind the series still feeling a bit bourgeois -- after all, Krystle had been a middleclass girl just a couple of years ago, and Alexis was still in the process of crawling up onto her corporate throne.

Season 4 -- on instinct, this seems like the year which should have felt most posh and sophisticated. Even Joan seems to know it. Before the more OTT stuff later on. Not that it lived up to that, but I always want and expect the fourth season to be the most artful and intelligent. And in that way, a defining year for the first half of the entire series: not too much and not too little. To feel like the "real" high society rich as much as possible.

[​IMG]

Season 5 -- they had a couple of episodes focusing on Christmas, and that should have informed much of this leisurely year -- a little more OTT, a little bit of a rarefied, winter holiday vibe, a little bit of European royalty.

Season 6 -- I always want this to be the peak of the entire series, and it seems to want the same thing (even though it doesn't completely succeed). More Colbys in the first part of the season, a brief tenure on the Moldavian throne mid-season for Alexis, a much briefer time in the Delta Rho attic for Krystle, the plots at their most rococo as the four dynasties -- the Carringtons, the Colbys, the Fallmonts, and the Moldavian royals -- intermingle. And the vengeful ex-wife takes over the house by year's end.

Season 7 -- with Alexis in the mansion (shot like Norma Desmond in a horror movie) and Blake & Krystle in the warn, victorian Carlton Hotel, I always want the seventh year to be the most luxurious of the entire show, dark and chocolate-y. With lots of antiques and stained-glass, and life on the estate more palpable than ever.

Season 8 -- I always want a rather macabre tone to the year, with the gubernatorial race peppered with some actual politics, a multi-episode blizzard arc mid-season, Krystle's headaches increasingly bizarre in their symptoms, the nooks and crannies of the mansion explored. All kind of ghostly.

Season 9 -- much like Season 2, I wouldn't change a lot

Season 10 -- the show calls out for a tenth year, one which wraps up decades of scandal; I see Sable and Caress living in the dark and lonely mansion supervising the upcoming auction (while Blake is in and out of court and prison) Alexis eventually joining them there (!) as Roger Grimes' son is stalking her. If you want to end with a trial during which Blake tries to clear his name while saving his company, then just flesh it out better than that silly 1991 'Reunion' did.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    And if all the seasons would have been great (going by your descriptions) which season would be your favourite?

3. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,134
    Trick question!! :mad:

4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,326
    That's why I asked:D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,134
    If done correctly, then each season is like one of your children.

[​IMG]