What happened to JR's accent over the years?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Dallas Cowgirl, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Dallas Cowgirl

Dallas Cowgirl Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8
    When Dallas first started I loved listening to JR's Texan drawl. Over the years this accent faded and was gradually dropped. Did anyone else notice this? Towards the end of the series he sometimes had even a kind of Englishness/poshness in his speech. I don't know if this was intentional or something that Larry just did without thinking?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star

Message Count:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,505
    Medals:
    Oh, that's interesting. I never really noticed that. I did think Sue Ellen's Southern accent seemed to diminish over time and apparently, Joan van Ark was asked to modify Val's over on KNOTS.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    I noticed that, too. Sue Ellen's faded accent was obvious as time passed, so much so that you tend to miss J.R.'s diminished Texan accent unless you really tune in.

4. Ray_Krebbs

Ray_Krebbs Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Vanessa Beaumont rubbed off on his accent.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come

Snarky's Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,342
    Medals:
    I never noticed JR's accent lessening either -- Hagman's a Texan in real life anyway. Thank goodness Pam's went away pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +8,659
    Medals:
    It could be even worse than that if you went to the Graeme McDowell school of elocution, the golfer who has invented the most horribly contrived transatlantic accent ever. He needs subtitles for every interview he conducts, no matter what country he is in.

Swami

7. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    The non-native Texans dropped their fake accents fairly quickly, likely because they just forgot to do it after a while and then it wasn't necessary. Once you get "in character" and make that character your own I'd imagine an accent is neither here not there unless it was a huge part of the character themselves (e.g. Cally or Vanessa).

I never noticed Larry/JR's changing accent. In fact apart from Linda/Sue Ellen's fake wispy Southern accent I never really noticed anyone's accent. American's on TV with general TV accents sort of tend to run together in their spoken English after a while (imo).

8. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +985
    So is Susan Howard (from Marshall)-- I didn't see every episode she was in, so I'm not sure if she dropped/lessened hers or not.

9. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +5,804
    Medals:
    It's interesting you say that because I do notice Larry's 'poshness' from time to time. I put it down to him spending a lot of time in England (London especially!) :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    I noticed the opposite. I've never heard his Texan accent sound any thicker than when he called Sly after getting away from Cally's brothers and told her "get me a chopper now." Listen to that when you get the chance if you have any doubts.

She either got lazy or couldn't learn to do it well. Patrick Duffy didn't bother trying. The best actors do change the way they speak depending on the role. If you've ever seen "House" that guy is from England but you'd never know it and it's not that he has lost his English accent because he still speaks with his original accent when not playing the role of an American. When he does have to sound American he does it convincingly.

Gary Oldman is from England too but when you hear him play the character of Drexel in True Romance, you'd never know it. He doesn't sound anything like his usual self in that movie. He plays a pimp who has dreadlocks and thinks he's black. After he beats up the character played by Christian Slater he turns to his friend who is black and says: "He must have thought it was white boy day. It ain't white boy day is it"? His friend replies in all seriousness: "No, it ain't white boy day." Oldman was perfect in that role. If he'd taken the Victoria Principal or Patrick Duffy attitude: It's not the way I naturally speak so I won't put in the effort to learn how to speak that way, it would have ruined the whole character. To his credit, Oldman put in the effort to learn that for a character he'd play just once - not week after week for years.

11. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I think that’s a little different. Someone playing a Texan using a non-Texan accent, most people won’t bat an eye. English actors playing Americans have no choice but to change their accents.

12. Lastkidpicked to be Santa's Helper

Lastkidpicked to be Santa's Helper Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,594
    Medals:
    This elasticity of an accent is realistic in Texas. Some people have an accent that gets stronger when they are around their friends than it does in a more formal setting. And it comes and goes over the years.

My friends speak with a deeper accent when they drink. Imagine them at a Ewing Barbecue!
    Hook 'em horns!

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,664
    I think the accent (for those it was native to, like Hagman) was toned down as the show became an international success. It is certainly more pronounced in early seasons, but Hagman's was still barely present in later seasons. Now, as for Texans and modulating their accent, I agree with @Lastkidpicked because I have experienced it with a Texan friend of mine whose accent gets thicker once it crosses the state line. But those Ewings were mostly home-bound.

I find shows that don't have the local accent weird, to be honest. One of the things that is bizarre about the Dynasty reboot is that no Carrington has a Georgia accent. I know Atlantans don't have as thick an accent as people from Macon, but they don't speak in Mid-Atlantic register either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Herofan

Herofan Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I agree. The Andy Griffith Show is another example. Andy had a southern accent that gradually disappeared and didn’t exist a few years into the show, and nobody else in the show talked Southern.

15. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Not quite the same but I do enjoy the way he drawls Sly's name at times. Not always, but sometimes. I suppose it's his accent?

16. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    Yeah, I think because they filmed in Texas more in the early days that might have been the reason. When he got away from Texas he would have been more likely to lose his accent.

17. Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland

Walking in a Winter Guzzlerland Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,697
    let's give Patrick the tiniest of tiny bits of credit - Bobby dropped the ‘g’ of the end of some words and said “ain’t” a few times in the early years

• Funny Funny x 1