What I'd like To See When "You Know Who" Arrives *Spolier*

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Grant Jennings, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +389
    I remember an interview with Esther Shapiro (during one of her more lucid moments) in which she said that when she and her husband Richard were creating "Dynasty" they had already created Blake, Fallon and Steven when they realized they needed a sympathetic character to whom the viewers could relate. This is when they created Krystle.

Peach Dynasty already has enough psychos: Claudia is a homicidal maniac, Kirby may be a pyromaniac and Melissa seems a little unhinged. Alexis is a gold digger and Fallon is a woman who would (figuratively) stab her father in the back to make a deal. We need a sympathetic, decent and honorable character we can root for.

I hope Cristal Flores is an intelligent businesswoman who has been working to improve the lives of people living in "shithole" countries when she comes to the U.S. and learns that a recently deceased woman working at Carrington Atlantic had stolen her identity. Initially Cristal only intends to stay long enough to resolve issues resulting from the theft of her identity when she learns of the Clarke County toxic waste spill. Cristal decides to work on behalf of the residents of Clarke County when Blake decides to do some damage control; he tries to charm Cristal and offers her a job working for him where she can resolve the issue in a manner that is satisfactory to the victims of the spill as well as to Blake. Cristal is suspicious of Blake's motives but reluctantly accepts the job.

Meanwhile, Alexis has been trying to take advantage of Celia's death to find her way back into Blake's life. Blake knows Alexis is trouble but he also finds her irresistible. Blake also finds himself being drawn toward this new woman who shares the name of his deceased wife.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,844
    So...in essence, she'd become the same person as Celia, which means that it would be, albeit unofficially, a recast.
    Now I kinda like that idea if it had been necessary - for whatever reason - to recast the actress who played Celia/Cristal.
    It's like Peyton Place's Rachel Welles who almost became Allison.

But to think that all this stuff has been cooked up because of some survey...seriously, have some faith in your casting choices.
    Oh and then take the risk by doing it all over again.
    What if "we" don't like this new actress either?

I wonder if there was some kind of trouble...a good reason to fire Nathalie Kelley.

3. Dalek Avery

Dalek Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,621
    NK had a perfect excuse (or two) to bow out of the series. She is a newlywed and has ties to the west coast (US) and Australia. Any PR person with a pulse could simply spin her departure as her decision to focus on building her new marriage and/or family. They could say she decided that spending the better part of a year in Atlanta for filming (thus having essentially a bi-coastal marriage) would be too taxing. Such a cover story would have been easy for outsiders to believe. The fact that she didn't even give them a chance to float such a cover story and simply blurted out the bare-bone facts with no 'opinion' added tells me she left on bad terms and wanted it to be known (or at least figured out by those who looked closely at it) without sounding too unprofessional. The part I hate the most about situations like this is that the producers might have been the truly unprofessional ones in the situation (we don't know), but the actors still are expected to behave professionally and not call them out for their behavior, for fear that the actor gains a reputation as "difficult", regardless of what the actor might or not might not have done.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,844
    Yes, and when I said
    doesn't necessarily mean that this "whatever" is Nathalie Kelley's fault. A "good" reason can be based on bad decisions (or intentions).

Maybe we should check out all the actors who didn't post a happy picture of him/her with Nathalie Kelley on their Instagrams....

5. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,621
    ...and perhaps examine the Instagram pictures to see if the barrel of a shotgun is in the periphery, pointing at them? :D

"Having so much fun on set. Lots of laughs. Oh, I love this place." #NuDynasty #hostageinatlanta #pleasesendhelp #againstourwill #fallonblinktwice

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    And that's the problem I had in viewing Dynasty. There wasn't a lot to care about. Even in original Dynasty I could at times feel empathy for Alexis but in this reincarnation I would have thrown a couple of bars of soap into the pool when both Fallon and Alexis decided to take a dip. I do get your point regarding the possible new Cristal. This series is screaming out for;

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    I don't think it was a bad casting choice. They could have written her differently ... and left out that Venezuela crap. I kind of feel sorry for Kelley, because i somehow think that she didn't get her chance due to the writing in the first half. Cristal really grew on me, but that was AFTER their midseason decision of getting rid of Kelley. Very weird, as it should have been the other way around. Now i think i will miss her. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,923
    I find it interesting how the writers/producers/showrunner are prepared to throw the actor under the bus but will not accept any responsibility for the mess they've created. If I had been a member of that focus group I would have been ruthless in my assessment...and that was from the opening scene. Who will take the fall if Peach Dynasty is not renewed for a third season? Nobody. They will simply move onto another project, protected by an industry that rewards incompetence instead of being shown the door.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,621
    To be honest, this behavior--upper management blaming their underlings for the failures of the enterprise--is not unique to show business. I recognize it as the modus operandi of my current employer, as well as the company I left to work for this one. Those in charge refuse to take any responsibility for their shortcomings or their inability to solve whatever problems are in the business. All they care about is that they have a job *today*, and part of their gig involves hiring as many of their similarly-inept colleagues from previous failed ventures, surrounding themselves with people possessing similar outlook. They'll all ride the gravy train until it stops, blaming underlings as long as possible and branding those who object as "complainers" who are "resistant to change". Then a new CEO gets hired to clean up their messes, and the new CEO clears out the previous CEO's cronies, blames all the problems on them, and then brings in his own cronies...starting the cycle all over again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Emeleez Navidad

Emeleez Navidad Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,105
    What would be amusing would be Alexis and Fallon hearing about the real Cristal and immidiately assuming that she's going after Blake. Like "here we go again.....". But having them be completely wrong about that, to begin with. Maybe they see Blake and nuCristal talking about oldCristal taking her identity and all problems she encountered, and Blake offering to help her. Knowing Alexis and Fallon, they will hate that and launch plans on how to get rid of this new woman. Meanwhile, nuCristal is secretly dating someone else. But Alexis' and Fallon's relentless schemes to stop a romance between Blake and nuCristel does the exact opposite. Slowly, Blake and nuCristal are put in positions of being vulnerable by Alexis and Fallon, making them spend more time together instead of less. That way, when they get together, it will be Alexis' and Fallon's fault. Though they won't see it quite that way.

Also, we MUST get to meet the real Adam. New Cristal could overhear something that Alexis says and go straight to Blake with the info, causing him to kick in the search for his first born son into high gear.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,621
    I guess they will have to rely on Sam to explain everything about RC (Real Cristal) through exposition in dialogue, since Nathalie Kelley obviously won't be around to play it out via flashbacks. As the only link to "the old days," Sam will have to be the one to verify everything RC says, which will likely lead to a lot of "take our word for it" explanations that, if the writers change their minds, can simply be undone by saying Sam and/or RC simply lied. I mean, we know Sam can lie quite easily and efficiently when necessary, and we know zip/zilch about RC. Leaving some questions about Fake Cristal's demise and RC's existence would be typical soap opera shenanigans, and Sam would once again be at the center of the schemes, keeping him from losing his rough edges after marrying the man of his dreams.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Emeleez Navidad

Emeleez Navidad Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,105
    But what if Sam doesn't know much about real and fake Cristel? Maybe the only one who can explain is real Cristel?

13. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,621
    It would be a lot easier for a cynical, skeptical person like Blake to believe this whole turn of events with RC showing up out of the blue if there was someone he already trusted (or...well, somewhat trusted) to back up what she has to say. Having independent verification would also allow the writers to quickly establish she's telling the truth and thus get past any period of skepticism from the viewers. I'm sure the writers are anxious to push forward with this "new normal" and make us move past Celia-Cristal. Lingering questions about the authenticity of Real Cristal could be construed as lingering loyalty to Celia-Cristal, and I can imagine the producers don't want us to remain attached to the woman/character they forcibly ejected from center stage that way. Since Sam was the only one in on Celia's secrets before the show started, he's the logical one to finish revealing it all--and explaining it away.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andrew Baker

Andrew Baker Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I really don't get it. This story line is making my head hurt

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Dalek Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,621
    Yeah, I know--we're over-analyzing and spending entirely too much time speculating on things we know barely anything about.

We're having more fun than human beings should be allowed to have.:site:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Zable

Zable Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +575
    Perhaps, we already have: Liam.

Recall that PeachDynasty only gave the barest bone facts: Before Steven there was another son who was kidnapped; the kidnappers had sent Blake his index finger; Blake told the police but not Alexis; Blake stopped his search for his son. Fallon thought Blake was traumatised by it all.

The niggling questions: how old was Adam when he was taken & why was Blake sure that the index finger belonged to Adam?

Caveat: For Liam to be Adam, there should have been no DNA tests done. (Shades of how Jason Colby of DS9 so easily believed that the adult twins were not his children, with no mention of any DNA tests at all.)

If I recall correctly, Original Adam as originally written was snatched as a baby by a woman from Montana, who raised him as her grandson in the town of Billings. The Carringtons were totally in the dark about what had happened to him because they never received a ransom note. He went to college and graduated with a degree in law. DS9 gave Adam an Ivy League education that I doubt his Montana ‘grandma’ could have afforded without help.

What if…. PeachAdam was snatched as a baby; had ended up in the hands of a wealthy family who were desperate to adopt a baby boy – the van Kirks of New York. They named him Liam. Only one member of the family knew the truth about Liam’s parentage and how he’d come to them –maybe had even specified that the baby should came from a ‘good’ family. That family member had learned from the adoption intermediaries that the kidnappers had been ‘tracked’ by Blake. Alarmed and not willing to give up the very young Liam, the van Kirk family member had arranged to have Blake sent an index finger that supposedly was Baby Adam’s – to scare Blake into dropping his search for his son. So, Baby Adam-Liam never actually lost a finger.

Since the middling ‘90s was a time of footprint records for babies & index fingerprint for mothers in the US – I don’t know exactly how true that is, different states had different rules; and (hopefully for this story) no tests in the early ‘90s to compare severed finger DNA for tissue matching with ‘relatives’ – Blake couldn’t be sure it was Adam’s finger. But he was traumatised by the thought of any baby losing a finger or more just because he was haggling with kidnappers/close to getting revealing info about them/their network & operations/Adam’s whereabouts so he dropped the whole search.

In the present day, Liam has no clue he's a Carrington. But perhaps among the van Kirks, the knowledge that Liam was a snatched baby has grown, though not all the details known except to one or two people.

Liam wanted to write a book about his messed up family. Doing research/digging for dirt on some family members, he came across the name Carrington in connection with some murky business that had taken place some 27+ years ago. (Shades of O-Caress + DS6 Jason & Ben vs Blake?) Not knowing what it was about and wanting to check it out brought him to Atlanta and into Fallon’s orbit. After ‘marrying’ Fallon, he thought it best to drop that investigation so he never mentioned anything about it in his book. But, perhaps, the odd van Kirk behaviour/reaction to Fallon in S2 rekindles his interest in checking out that murky business of the past….

….and perhaps nuCristal overhears something that Liam says and mentions it to Blake, who’s hit by a clue that turns a cold trail warm. I’m assuming that he’s learnt by now that Fake Adam wasn’t who he’d claimed to be. Did Celia get to pass on what she’d learned?

17. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +575
    With respect, and loving compassion: Poor Baby.

• Funny Funny x 3
  18. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,573
    DNA/blood-test. Boom.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Zable

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +575
    But S1 was actually silent on it, right?

20. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,586
    I'm not sure if i'm making this up in my head, but i think there was a scene between fake Adam and Alexis, where he adressed that. He was afraid of that and i think Alexis' response was something like "nah, we have the missing finger, who would care about a blood test then?".
    Was that in there, or am i making this up?