What I'd like To See When "You Know Who" Arrives *Spolier*

Discussion in 'Dynasty 2017' started by Grant Jennings, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +244
    I remember an interview with Esther Shapiro (during one of her more lucid moments) in which she said that when she and her husband Richard were creating "Dynasty" they had already created Blake, Fallon and Steven when they realized they needed a sympathetic character to whom the viewers could relate. This is when they created Krystle.

Peach Dynasty already has enough psychos: Claudia is a homicidal maniac, Kirby may be a pyromaniac and Melissa seems a little unhinged. Alexis is a gold digger and Fallon is a woman who would (figuratively) stab her father in the back to make a deal. We need a sympathetic, decent and honorable character we can root for.

I hope Cristal Flores is an intelligent businesswoman who has been working to improve the lives of people living in "shithole" countries when she comes to the U.S. and learns that a recently deceased woman working at Carrington Atlantic had stolen her identity. Initially Cristal only intends to stay long enough to resolve issues resulting from the theft of her identity when she learns of the Clarke County toxic waste spill. Cristal decides to work on behalf of the residents of Clarke County when Blake decides to do some damage control; he tries to charm Cristal and offers her a job working for him where she can resolve the issue in a manner that is satisfactory to the victims of the spill as well as to Blake. Cristal is suspicious of Blake's motives but reluctantly accepts the job.

Meanwhile, Alexis has been trying to take advantage of Celia's death to find her way back into Blake's life. Blake knows Alexis is trouble but he also finds her irresistible. Blake also finds himself being drawn toward this new woman who shares the name of his deceased wife.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    So...in essence, she'd become the same person as Celia, which means that it would be, albeit unofficially, a recast.
    Now I kinda like that idea if it had been necessary - for whatever reason - to recast the actress who played Celia/Cristal.
    It's like Peyton Place's Rachel Welles who almost became Allison.

But to think that all this stuff has been cooked up because of some survey...seriously, have some faith in your casting choices.
    Oh and then take the risk by doing it all over again.
    What if "we" don't like this new actress either?

I wonder if there was some kind of trouble...a good reason to fire Nathalie Kelley.

3. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,003
    NK had a perfect excuse (or two) to bow out of the series. She is a newlywed and has ties to the west coast (US) and Australia. Any PR person with a pulse could simply spin her departure as her decision to focus on building her new marriage and/or family. They could say she decided that spending the better part of a year in Atlanta for filming (thus having essentially a bi-coastal marriage) would be too taxing. Such a cover story would have been easy for outsiders to believe. The fact that she didn't even give them a chance to float such a cover story and simply blurted out the bare-bone facts with no 'opinion' added tells me she left on bad terms and wanted it to be known (or at least figured out by those who looked closely at it) without sounding too unprofessional. The part I hate the most about situations like this is that the producers might have been the truly unprofessional ones in the situation (we don't know), but the actors still are expected to behave professionally and not call them out for their behavior, for fear that the actor gains a reputation as "difficult", regardless of what the actor might or not might not have done.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,882
    Yes, and when I said
    doesn't necessarily mean that this "whatever" is Nathalie Kelley's fault. A "good" reason can be based on bad decisions (or intentions).

Maybe we should check out all the actors who didn't post a happy picture of him/her with Nathalie Kelley on their Instagrams....

5. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,003
    ...and perhaps examine the Instagram pictures to see if the barrel of a shotgun is in the periphery, pointing at them? :D

"Having so much fun on set. Lots of laughs. Oh, I love this place." #NuDynasty #hostageinatlanta #pleasesendhelp #againstourwill #fallonblinktwice

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    And that's the problem I had in viewing Dynasty. There wasn't a lot to care about. Even in original Dynasty I could at times feel empathy for Alexis but in this reincarnation I would have thrown a couple of bars of soap into the pool when both Fallon and Alexis decided to take a dip. I do get your point regarding the possible new Cristal. This series is screaming out for;

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    I don't think it was a bad casting choice. They could have written her differently ... and left out that Venezuela crap. I kind of feel sorry for Kelley, because i somehow think that she didn't get her chance due to the writing in the first half. Cristal really grew on me, but that was AFTER their midseason decision of getting rid of Kelley. Very weird, as it should have been the other way around. Now i think i will miss her. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,565
    I find it interesting how the writers/producers/showrunner are prepared to throw the actor under the bus but will not accept any responsibility for the mess they've created. If I had been a member of that focus group I would have been ruthless in my assessment...and that was from the opening scene. Who will take the fall if Peach Dynasty is not renewed for a third season? Nobody. They will simply move onto another project, protected by an industry that rewards incompetence instead of being shown the door.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Daniel Avery

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,003
    To be honest, this behavior--upper management blaming their underlings for the failures of the enterprise--is not unique to show business. I recognize it as the modus operandi of my current employer, as well as the company I left to work for this one. Those in charge refuse to take any responsibility for their shortcomings or their inability to solve whatever problems are in the business. All they care about is that they have a job *today*, and part of their gig involves hiring as many of their similarly-inept colleagues from previous failed ventures, surrounding themselves with people possessing similar outlook. They'll all ride the gravy train until it stops, blaming underlings as long as possible and branding those who object as "complainers" who are "resistant to change". Then a new CEO gets hired to clean up their messes, and the new CEO clears out the previous CEO's cronies, blames all the problems on them, and then brings in his own cronies...starting the cycle all over again.

• Agree Agree x 1