90210 What if Brenda stayed for seasons 5 thru 7?

Discussion in 'Sundry Prime Time Soaps' started by ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989, Oct 10, 2016.

1. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    Im assuming 90210 can apply to BH 90210 right?

Anyways, what if Brenda stayed on 90210 for 3 more seasons?, the reason I stop at season 7 is because seasons 8 thru 10, really didn't need to happen! As they were a mess, however the college years were good as Val kept things spicy during those years

Back to Brenda, it was obvious that Brenda and Dylan would reunite in season 5, with potentially a marriage or pregnancy in season 6, (I had heard that Brenda and Dylan were supposed to have a child at he end of season 4, but that's storyline was given to Andrea and a random dude as the actress was pregnant in real life and TPTB weren't sure I'd SD would stay past season 4)

I'd like for Brenda and Valerie to team up against stick up her ass Kelly and for Brenda to end the series becoming a huge actress.

I felt Brenda's story ended too soon but sadly SD was on good terms with most of the cast at the time.

What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,886
    Interesting. I've never heard the rumor of Brenda and Dylan having a child at the end of season four before.

I wish Brenda would have stayed around longer too. She was my favorite character on "Bevvan" and the show was never the same after she left.
    Even though I did enjoy the rest of the run too. Even more so when rewatching it a few years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    I read it on the old forum that Brenda would discover she would be pregnant at the end of s3/start of s4
    Not sure if it was true but it would've furthered the Brenda/Dylan relationship and would've made things interesting with Kelly who by that point was so insanely envious of Brenda by season 4 a baby would've pushed her over the edge.

In my alternate season 5 I'd give Dylan's storyline to Kelly, who, upon discovering Brenda and Dylan reunited over the summer in London (Dylan would've gone with her and only Donna would know) would have a total breakdown and turn to alcohol and drugs, Brandon meanwhile would try to help Kelly,
    Donna, who in the s4 finale said Brenda was her best friend (the fact she said this meant that Brenda's departure wasn't really planned until last minute!) would grow closer to Brenda and apart from Kelly.

Kelly would go down the drugs route in the next season anyway for a less plausible reason! So I'd bring it forward.

Good thing about Brenda staying on is no Kelly centricism, which killed the show over 6 painful long seasons.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,886
    Thanks for replying. It sounds like an interesting storyline. It woud have fit with Brenda's personality too having a baby at a young age as she was already fantacising about marrying Dylan and having kids with him in her future.

I agree that Brenda's departure was not really planned. I heard somewhere that they producers considered writing her out already in season four though and that's why they had her go to college in Minnesota so they could write her out if things didn't work out with Shannen. But when things seemed to be working in early season four they decided to move her back to Beverly Hills.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    The season 4 finale very strongly implied she was coming back next season, they were setting it up for her return, Donna saying Bren was her best friend, Brenda and Dylan finally reuniting etc etc..
    Even Dylan rescuing his sister Erica, seemed like it was supposed to have included Brenda, but it ended up being given to her replacement; Valerie, which despite me liking Val, never made sense to me, it was like Tiffani Theissen was reading lines that were written for Shannen Doherty

Yes Brenda becoming a young mum at 19 and pursuing acting would be a great storyline, Dylan being a father too, only thing is I'd still include Val and have Brenda, Donna and Val become friends with Kelly hating Val, Val was the best thing about 90210 in the middle years, she kept the rebellion going long after Brenda and Dylan left the series.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,886
    Oh yeah Val was still needed, I never saw her as a Brenda replacement as her personality and storylines were so different from Brenda.

Interesting I've never thought of that Dylan's rescuing of Erica plot was supposed to have included Brenda. But I guess it makes sense since she did know Erica unlike Val.

I agree about the season four finale. There was nothing that indicated that Brenda wouldn't be back to the fall. She and Dylan were finally reunited. I had definitely been waiting all season for that to happen!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    The show went downhill after Brenda left, Shannen Doherty was definitely the best actress on the show followed by Tifannie Theissen and Kathleen Robertson, Luke Perry was also one of the best actors on the show along with Jason Priestly.
    The show just wasn't the same once SD left kinda like how when PSM left Dynasty, the vibe had gone :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    Oh, there's definitively a vibe that a lot of Val's early storylines could've been given to Brenda, only about half-way through season five is it starting to feel like Val shakes that vibe. Even her coming to Beverly Hills could be re-jigged into Brenda coming home from London, seeming more "edgy" and "different". I do love Val however, but it's fairly obvious that they probably did have a fair amount of Brenda in mind when they started writing season five before Shannen was booted. But in both season three and season four finales it seemed like they wrote a way to write her off just in case. They managed to obviously calm down the situation between season three and four but by season four the cast wanted Shannen off and Shannen herself wanted off the show.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    Shame that the cast clashed so much with Shannen Doherty, though I dud hear that Tori Spelling, Luke Perry and Carol Potter were sad to see her go, in their performances especially Tori and Luke you could that they were the only ones who liked Shannen at that point, and this flowed through into the storylines, Donna and Dylan were pretty much the only characters who were on good terms with Brenda in season 4.

Lets not forget however that Jennie Garth was actually more of a diva than Shannen was, and actors and actresses who joined 90210 post Brenda years all complained that Jennie Garth was rather snooty and cliquey, a famous example was when the actress who played Gina Kincaid came on board in late 1998, she said JG was constantly condescending and rude to her, so much so that the actress left the show in Jan 2000, just halfway through season 10, this caused issues with Brian Green (David Silver) as he was dating Gina in real life at the time and was furious at JG, also worth noting that Brian Green also got on well with Shannen Doherty as he partied with her alot during her stint on the show.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    Yeah, Tiffani Thiessen also said that she initially got the cold shoulder from Jennie, but they eventually worked that out (though they've fallen out in recent years - with Jennie and Tori playing the rather bitchy "I don't know her" card on RuPaul's Drag Race). Emma Caulfield pretty much also said that the female cast was stand-off-ish towards her and she was happy to leave when she did. I feel like Jennie's behavior was made worse by Shannen leaving - suddenly she stepped up as the Queen Bee of the show both in front of the camera and behind it.

Sadly, it also made Kelly's character insufferable.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    I've said it before and I'll say it again;
    Kelly-centrism was what killed 90210, the next six years were basically the years when TPTB said each season "what angst filled drama can we put Kelly into this season??"
    And people say Brenda was the drama queen?!?

Brenda and Dylan were undoubtedly the shows leads and biggest stars during the first four seasons, because SD & LP can act
    Jennie Garth - who I'm sure is reasonably okay in real life - can't act, the constant baby voice really grated at my nerves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +171
    In hindsight Brenda leaving when she did to go study acting in London was very true to her character as she'd wanted to be an actress since Season 1.

Doesn't stop you missing the character though as Brenda had a lot of depth and Shannens exceptional acting talent made the character so real to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    Brenda leaving completely changed the show as a whole, it was never the same after she left, there was always something missing, I think had Kelly or Donna left the impact wouldn't have been as jarring.

I don't know why TPTB at the time didn't consider transferring Brenda over to Melrose Place as a compromise and taking acting classes in another part of LA.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Melrose Place cut loose from 90210 very early on. Unlike other soap spinoffs, I don't think they ever really considered the prospect of crossovers after the initial episodes. They were considered so separate towards the end that Laura Leighton showed up on 90210 as a different character after years on MP and one of Heather Locklear's post MP job offers was a move to Beverly Hills, again playing a different character.

While I liked Brenda, if she hadn't left we probably would've never gotten Valerie and I'm big Val fan. I do agree that it kind of became "The Kelly Show" after Brenda's departure. Like I didn't mind Kelly but from what I recall, the frequency with which she found herself in peril was pretty OTT even by soap standards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,009
    Yeah, BH90210 and Melrose Place pretty much became different shows once the initial spin-off storyline was over. I have, more than once, suggested that the "Who's Sophie" storyline would've been a good way to re-introduce Sydney on Melrose - just have Jane or Michael driving in Los Angeles and notice that billboard.

If they did spin-off Brenda into Melrose I guess she would've joined in season 4? It would be post-explosion, but I think Brenda would've been a fierce nemesis towards Amanda that season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Carrie Fairchild

Carrie Fairchild Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +834
    If she'd gone straight from 90210 onto MP, she would've been joining at the beginning of season 3. Which incidentally was the same year that Models Inc launched, so she could've even washed up there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The problem wasn't the character of Brenda, it was Shannen Doherty who was disliked by the majority of the cast and the people behind the scenes. Spelling simply wanted her off the show. There was no way he would've hired her for any of his other projects the same year.

By 1998, they had reportedly made up so she was cast on "Charmed" – but we all know how that one ended ;)

I wonder with whom Jennie was supposed to be "cliquey". When Marcil joined, there was no other "veteran" female cast member there except Tori. And two people (of a cast of 9 regulars) don't make a clique.

I don't remember Kathleen Robertson or Lindsay Price ever saying anything bad about their experience on 90210, and they were there much longer than Caulfield and Marcil.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,416
    Kathleen Robertson mentioned years later that there was an atmosphere with the cast and it involved JG, TT's relationship with JG was also up and down, and other actors and actresses who joined post Brenda years have said she was rather snotty along with Tori Spelling, I've not heard anything about Lindsey Price's time onset however.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Marika

Marika Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +40
    And how was the athmosphere on set during the Brenda years? Was it so much better? I doubt that ;)

By the way, it's totally normal – in any job – that people who have worked together for a couple of years to behave differently towards new people. Everyone wants to mark their territory. In that regard, I don't think it's anyone's fault, it's just normal human behavior.

Since she wasn't there anymore, nobody knows how SD would have reacted towards new regulars joining the show. I'm sure there would've been just as much tensions.

Btw, I didn't watch the show because of Kelly nor did I watch it because of Brenda. I watched it because I enjoyed the show in general. I don't think I ever quit watching a show because one particular character had left :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  20. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Yes the show went downhill same with 90210.

Shannen brings so much to the shows she appears in. Once you've seen the show at its very best with her in it its hard to accept a below par revamp.