What If Christopher Had Been J.R.'s Son And J.R. Knew It?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Kenny Coyote, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    What do you think Bobby would have done if Christopher had turned out to be JR's son and JR found out? Bobby liked to pretend that he was very righteous and would never do anything as unethical as buying a baby he believed belonged to his brother and then raising the boy as his own. Still, it looked like that was exactly what he was prepared to do even though he originally intended to give the baby to JR.

I remember Pam walking down the stairs and asking Bobby "You got us a baby"? That was when Bobby changed his mind. If Bobby were as righteous as he claimed to be he would have immediately said "No, this is someone else's baby" before Pam had time to get her hopes up that it was a baby Bobby adopted for them. Bobby didn't say a word though, he just stood there in silence while Pam went on and on about how wonderful it was that he had found them a baby.

Bobby got very lucky when it turned out that JR wasn't the father after all. He got to keep the baby and also keep his reputation as an honest man. Suppose that JR had turned out to be the father. Do you think Bobby would have just kept JR in the dark about it and raised Christopher as his and Pam's son? It looked like that was exactly what he intended to do.

What if JR had found out he was the father and took Bobby and Pam to get custody of his own son? Do you think Bobby would have realized that returning the boy to his father was the only right thing to do or do you think he would have thought "I don't care that it's awful to steal my brother's child from him because Pam wants him and that justifies my actions. So if JR insists on taking this to court I'm gonna take him apart!"

JR loved Bobby and since he would have realized how much keeping Christopher meant to Bobby and Pam, I can picture him making a sacrifice in this case. I can picture JR saying something like: "There's nothing more valuable than a child of your own. I know Pam can't have children and I see how much she loves Christopher. I'm convinced you and Pam can take good care of my boy and raise him well. So I'm going to do you the biggest favor a man can do for his brother. I'll let you raise my son as your own. All I ask is you show your gratitude by doing a favor for me in return. Sign over the voting rights of your shares of Ewing Oil over to me. You'll still own as much of Ewing Oil as you do now; and I'll make you vice-president of the company."

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Piggy It's Kermit Outside

Piggy It's Kermit Outside Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,179
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Actually he did say that in the episode "Blackmail", and Bobby almost did tear him apart! But JR could "love" his brother but not enough to be generous to him in any way at all. He always wanted him out of Ewing Oil and that never changed. If "Dallas" had remained faithful to this concept, the latter years would have been a lot better. JR was selfish, egocentric and egomaniac, he wanted all and wanted it as soon as possible "for his son in the future". What an excuse. Someone who fakes his daddy´s will, isn´t capable of displaying any kind of true fatherly love. This is one of the legends that makes me mad: that he was a good dad and that was his redeeming quality. Ha!

upload_2018-12-24_23-5-6.jpeg

"Hi. My name is Miss Ellie, glad to meet you..."
    "Me too, but JR is taking the child out of the ranch and will leave you here, madam..."​

3. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,684

Everyone has his own point of view. People see things from different perspectives and value things differently. Ask them to name J.R.'s most redeeming quality and they'll name different things from being a good father and a good son to qualities such as work ethic, ambition, and drive. People are ​
    multi-faceted. What constitutes someone's most redeeming quality isn't cut and dried. I don't think anything in life is cut and dried.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +702
    This concept has always appealed to me - that Kristin's child be J.R.'s - because it's just so much DRAMA. I've actually had a story in mind about it for a while but have never written it or explored it more than the actual idea and possible plots. There are just so many questions around it. Like would Sue Ellen have petitioned for custody of Christopher too? I know she didn't decide to in the series but I always believed that was because she sympathised with how much Pam needed a child. If Bobby had said he was J.R.'s child from the start and he and Pam decided not to adopt him, maybe Sue Ellen would have. I actually watched a season 11 episode the other day ("Daddy's Little Darlin'") and Bobby explained to Sue Ellen that the custody battle over Christopher would mean her and J.R.'s history would be exploited in court, and Sue Ellen's response seemed as if she wished she had adopted Christopher herself instead. (I don't remember the circumstances around the conversation, so she may not have meant it that way but that's how it came across to me.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Message Count:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +1,684
    Go for it Justine! It is a very appealing concept and it seems like you have some good ideas to fill out the concept into a complete story. I'd love to read it once you've completed it :)

One idea I have for it, which you sort of hinted at, is suppose that at the time since Sue Ellen is living at The Southern Cross ranch that she attempts to get custody or partial custody rather than letting JR have full custody on the basis that Kristin was her sister. J.R. could legally counter that since he's the father, he gets priority over the aunt of the child regarding custody. Then Sue Ellen's lawyer counters that this would usually hold true, but this is a case where the father is a man who only became the father by cheating on his wife with -- of all women - his wife's sister!

Sue Ellen and her lawyer argue that because the way J.R. fathered the child was so immoral that he essentially forfeited his right to full custody. Sue Ellen continues on to say that Kristin was part of this immoral act but unlike J.R. she wasn't cheating on a spouse as she was a single woman and therefore, Sue Ellen is more deserving of custody since she is the aunt and is able to set a far better standard of morality for the child. J.R. would then counter Sue Ellen is no saint; she's actually living in sin with Dusty...it just goes one and on.

If you happen to like that idea or part of it, feel free to use as much as you want for your story. I've written a little but of fan fiction once, just a few years ago, and although I enjoyed it, I have no plans to write more any time soon.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018