What if Miss Ellie died?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Justine, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +285
    If Jim Davis had not died and the writers killed Miss Ellie off in her cancer storyline, how do you think the family storylines would have been different?

Would J.R. have ruthlessly beaten Sue Ellen for custody of John Ross?

Would Bobby have ditched Pam when she went crazy, like Jock left Amanda?

Would Ray have entered the family oil business?

Would Clayton become the new family enemy after Digger Barnes died?

Who would you have paired Jock with instead; a younger wife, or Clayton's crazy sister Jessica?

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Billy Wall

Billy Wall Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +142
    I don’t know if Clayton even exist if Jim Davis didn’t get sick and didn’t Jeremy Windell become their primary enemy anyway? Did they create Clayton for the sole purpose of getting him with Miss Ellie. For the record, Jock was still alive when Clayton debuted.

Back to Miss Ellie. She was the backbone of Dallas imo. No Miss Ellie, Dallas simply isn’t the same. The reunion movies missed her and new Dallas certainly missed her.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,210
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    A very interesting What If post...I guess that we´d be talking here about BBG dying IRL instead of JD, either that or maybe BBG deciding to retire for good.

- J.R. would have eaten Sue Ellen with fries and spitten her shoulderpads...He´d get the custody of John Ross and taken care of her being sent the Valene route...

- Bobby would have done the same thing re. Pam: commit her into the Dakmara Nut Factory and wait patiently for her to pull herself together...

- Ray might have become the third Ewing son at Ewing Oil, yes. With Bobby and Jock backing him, J.R. couldn´t have mined his securities.

- I think at first Clayton could have fought both J.R. and Jock, the latter would´ve eventually understood Clayton´s good intentions and realized he was no Digger. Jock siding Clay would have pissed J.R. royally, that´s for sure.

- Jock would have remained a widower for awhile, and maybe Jessica might have tempted just because she did obviously have the hots for him, as we saw when she was obsessively staring at his portrait in one scene.

- Oh and Clayton could have married the Rebeccabeech, thus becoming Cliff, Pam and Katherine´s stepdaddy. All stays in the family!!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. stevew

stevew Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +595
    Medals:
    Wow - totally different that’s for sure. The biggest difference is Ewing Oil remains in control of Jock.

I think eventually you’d see Jock with a beautiful young thing that’d pissed off his boys. Maybe even Ray.

I think Donna might have had a bigger role at Southfork in the house and maybe even in the company or politics involving the company. Sort of a fill in matriarch.

I think Pam and Sue Ellen would have been in the fight of their lives - going Amanda style crazy. Without Pam Bobby would have pulled out of the business and more into politics, maybe with Donna’s backing we’d see him as governor or some such. Probably find out Christopher was JR’s son instead and with Pam locked up, JR would raise his two boys. Under daddy’s watchful eye - probably raised more by Jock, Donna and Ray. I always thought Bobby should have got his own show in politics and with Jock around to fight, I can see it happening. Pamela would go to Bobby’s show in DC. Probably get JR’s ventures on his own.

And enemies like Rebecca (on Pam’s side) and Clayton (on Sue Ellen’s side) and Windell (on his own side) would have been formidable even for Jock.

End result: Jock dies, JR and Bobby get most of EO with Ray and Gary small pieces. JR swears he’ll take over, promises his boys everything.

The movies: JR takes the lead and pushes Ray and Gary out when Gary, through Abby (back with her and on the movies), tries to take the company public. JR would also have to contend with Punk Anderson ending up with a piece through a merger Jock put together - sort of a Koch Brothers version. And while JR would have 2 other secret families he’d eventually get back with Sue Ellen, who’d have inherited the Farlow billions and maybe even married Wendell for a bit. He and Sue Ellen would take control of West Star. Bobby would be on his own show which would last another 5 years but been in the movies to back JR. Donna would be Secretary of Energy and leave for DC with Ray and their children.

TNT: JR would have his sons battling for Ewing Oil. Sue Ellen backing John Ross. Chris dirtier than JR ever was. John Ross and Pamela would be on again, off again with Cliff controlling the Wendell billions and Pamela his only heir. There would be Marta DelSol - Punck Anderson’s grand daughter. And Elena Ramos - Teresa’s niece.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +870
    Clayton was on the show when Jim Davis was still playing Jock Ewing, although the two characters never met. This was when Pam had taken baby John Ross to be with Sue Ellen, when she lived briefly at the Southern Cross with Dusty after leaving JR. It was only when Jim Davis sadly passed away that the Producers eventually had the idea of pairing Miss Ellie up with Clayton.

If Barbara Bel Geddes had left or had died instead of Jim Davis, one wonders how Dallas might have turned out? Would the whole fight for control of Ewing Oil been a result of Miss Ellie's will? Who know's. Still, I'm sure it's fun speculating.

One thing I do know, as sad as it was that we lost Jim Davis as Jock, that whole fight for Ewing Oil that was in Jock's will was very compelling drama. I wouldn't change one bit of the first ten seasons of the show. I only wish Victoria Principal & Susan Howard hadn't left. Mind you in Susan's case she was unfortunately forced out. :(

JOCK.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +779
    I would have enjoyed more seasons with Jock. It was only towards the end of Jim Davis's Dallas career that the show switched from stand alone episodes to being serialized stories continuing from one week to the next, which I think made Dallas much more interesting. Most of the time when Jock was still in the show, Bobby had no desire to be the man who ran the company. We saw that once - after JR had been shot. Bobby acted like he was just filling in for JR until he revered from his gunshot wounds as a favor, which was devious on his part. Of course when JR git better we saw that Bobby had no intention of stepping aside. When it looked like Jock might give JR his job back, Bobby played Miss Ellie against JR by threatening to leave Southfork if Jock gave JR his job back. It was somewhat extortionate because Bobby knew how Miss Ellie would react to his threats to leave Southfork and he was right. Miss Ellie emotionally blackmailed Jock into giving Bobby what he wanted by saying, to Jock that of he did something that caused Bobby to leave Southfork, "I'll never forgive you."

So Jock, not wanting to disappoint Miss Ellie, allowed Bobby to keep running Ewing Oil even after JR had recovered. Then Bobby realized the job included was more stressful than he had thought it would be. He gave up running Ewing Oil saying to JR "You're much better at that kind of thing than I ever want to be."

If Jock had lived and Bobby had once again changed his mind and wanted to run Ewing Oil again, it would have been interesting to see how Jock would have handled it. I think he would have had to have made them co-presidents of the company with equal power which would have caused a lot of competition between JR and Bobby - much like we ended up seeing anyway. But the scenes with Jock were classic - scenes like "Nobody gives you power - real power is something you take"! It would have been great to have seen more scenes like that. Miss Ellie was a great character in her own right but didn't have scenes of that nature. Miss Ellie dying and Jock being the surviving parent would have given the show a more ruthless feel. Miss Ellie was more of a calming force who worked to try to decrease competition between the brothers while Jock would have been more likely to have found out once and for all which brother had the better ability to run the company long term. I think he would have handled Cliff's suicide attempt much differently than Miss Ellie handled it. Jock wouldn't have punished JR because Cliff decided to try to kill himself.

Both brothers still had a lot to learn from Jock. Bobby needed to learn how to be stronger. JR needed to learn how to not be so reckless and be more tactful. With Jock still alive to committee teaching them they would have become even better oilmen and Ewing Oil would have likely grown in size to be more of a direct threat to WestStar. Confrontations between Jock and Wendell would have been priceless. I can see Wendell threatening Jock by saying he'd hurt Bobby and/or JR and I would have liked to have seen how Jock would have handled that type of behavior from Jeremy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Jock could have married some young gold digger. And then we really could have seen some fireworks at Southfork.