What if, no JR Ewing after 1991?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Michelle Stevens, May 29, 2018.

1. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens 'The Lovely Michelle'

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,002
    I can't remember if this was ever discussed but what if Larry Hagman wasn't saved by his liver transplant in 1995 and the Dallas franchise never had JR Ewing (at least portrayed by Mr. Hagman) after the end of the CBS series run in 1991? How would the Dallas franchise develop from what we know now if Mr. Hagman wasn't a part of it, if at all?

[​IMG]

Surely Dallas: JR Returns and Dallas: War of the Ewings wouldn't have been made. With the popularity of the Dallas DVD released from 2004-'11, would that have driven a revival of the series? Would the 2012-'14 TNT Dallas ever existed? Would a reboot be more likely or would the series remain dead?

Story-wise, how would it be explained if JR had committed suicide in Conundrum?

The Dallas section has been slow so I thought I'd throw this idea out there. I was always very thankful that Mr. Hagman lived for an additional seventeen years and appeared in the CBS Dallas movies and the TNT Dallas.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    I don't think the show would have continued if we had lost Larry back in 1995.

Thank goodness we didn't. Larry Hagman is Dallas & no revival series or any films would've gone ahead without him, that's for sure! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,364
    With the benefit of hindsight JR Returns would have been a fitting climax, given that Leonard Katzman died after it was filmed.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Matthew Blaisdel

Matthew Blaisdel Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    past orbit, on the way out of the solar system
    Ratings:
    +2,286
    And so did "Dallas" for me.
    "J.R. returns" was the last decent "Dallas" thing filmed.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
  5. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Champian

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,364
    War Of The Ewings wasn't too bad but the main fault with it was having established the great things in JR Returns with the younger members of the cast, they cast them aside along with Cliff Barnes as well.

Swami

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Sarah Danner

Sarah Danner Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Then TNT Dallas likely would have a reboot; not a continuation.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,110
    Yep. I still think it some version of TNT Dallas would've happened with or without Larry - remember they had that Dallas movie in the pipeline that got stuck in development hell. It's obvious they wanted to do something with the Dallas IP.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +13,964
    Don't underestimate the power of dead soap characters. JR's masterpiece (and everything else connected to post-JR) is one of the best Dallas stories I've ever seen.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Rove

Rove Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    If Larry had passed in the mid 90's I don't believe for a moment those television types would have ventured forth with Dallas, in any format. And that would have been befitting to both Larry and JR that the show could not survive without them.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,110
    You are forgetting that they at one point wanted to do a big screen movie reboot without Larry and the rest of the original cast (except minor cameos I guess).

The Dallas IP was at one point too valuable not to do anything with it, like it or not. I think we would've gotten a Dynasty-esque reboot at least if Larry had passed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    Tommie I had not forgotten the potential Dallas Movie. In all serious there was never a chance this would get off the ground despite the constant chatter. When rumours began to swirl John Travolta was destined to play JR I laughed out loud. Only one man could/can/ever play that role and it was Larry. He played it so magnificently other actors will pale in comparison...and rightly so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. tommie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,110
    My point is that the idea was there to do it without Larry. No one thought anyone but Joan Collins would play Alexis, and well, here we are.

Dallas is too much of a valuable IP to just let it sit on the shelf forever - it was, after all, one of the most successful tv series ever. And not just in the US, but worldwide. TNTDallas might have cooled interest for another two decades or so, but I fully expect there to be another attempt to do it (even if it's after I'm long gone).

13. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    Yeah that was sad too.

I can still remember the dedication to him just after the show finishes, just before the closing credits come up. :(

14. Via The Void

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +751
    So did I mate! John Travolta as JR, what a laugh!

No other actor could ever play JR Ewing other than Larry Hagman.

Dallas as either a series or a movie would only ever happen if Larry Hagman was involved in it.

Larry was Dallas & even when he passed away having Linda Gray & Patrick Duffy involved wasn't enough to guarantee the longevity of the TNT Cyntax Dallas. No wonder it bit the dust. Mind you it was mainly to do with the crap storylines in the third season which killed that show. A shame, if the focus of the writing had remained on the Ewings it might've continued. I didn't mourn it once it was axed. :(

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    For me to mourn I really need to feel connected. TNT Dallas just didn't have it. I was just thankful it was put out of its misery by the head honcho at TNT's Sports Department.

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +369
    Rove, next time you are bopping around online, youtube the video "Dallas Opening Theme J.R. Tribute".

It will confirm your position that nobody else could play J.R.

P.S. It's dusty here in Texas. So when I watch that tribute, my eyes get a little watery and my throught gets tight.

Must be that Texas dust. . .

• Like Like x 2
  17. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +634
    How did TNT Sports kill TNT Dallas?

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    Somewhere on this site someone had posted a video of Patrick Duffy speaking at a public engagement where he stated it was the head of the sports department of TNT that killed Dallas.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Clubsoda

Clubsoda Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +173
    It's interesting when people say JR/Larry was Dallas yet the last few seasons with him very firmly in the driving seat prove it really isn't just about that character it was about the ensemble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Rove

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,569
    I'll be the first in line and argue how dreadful Dallas became but I've always believed the rot had set in much earlier. The return series after Bobby was shot by Katherine is a turning point in my book when Dallas began to lose its way. Everytime I begin to watch "Killer At Large" something is off - both on-screen and off. If I recall Miss Ellie is not even mentioned in the return episode, despite the fact her son has been rushed to hospital after being shot. Afton is quickly disposed of only for Cliff to instantly fall into the arms of Mandy...wait...what?

Then there is the swift confession from Katherine only to exit stage left. I won't even mention that character from the far north waltzing onto Southfork flashing her teeth.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1