What popular television show have you never watched?

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Sarah, Mar 15, 2019.

?

What have you never watched?

1. Dallas

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Simpsons

14.8%
  3. Game of Thrones

44.4%
  4. Breaking Bad

74.1%
  5. The X Files

22.2%
  6. Seinfeld

48.1%
  7. Friends

7.4%
  8. Doctor Who

40.7%
  9. I Love Lucy

29.6%
  10. Buffy the Vampire Slayer

66.7%
  11. MASH

37.0%
  12. Star Trek

29.6%
  13. The Sopranos

55.6%
  14. Dynasty

7.4%
  15. The Big Bang Theory

55.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,606
    Medals:
    Breaking Bad, Game Of Thrones and The Walking Dead are shows with great first seasons, mostly because of the unique premise.
    BB stopped being honest in season 3, GOT became a muddled mess (too many characters, confusing locations, too many random killings) and WD, well after 4 seasons I figured I had seen the most interesting scenarios. There's zombies, kill or run.
    But I don't regret watching it, these first seasons were very entertaining. Especially Walking Dead, I really loved those first 3 seasons.

Maybe I'll give Breaking Bad another try, I liked the policeman (his brother-in-law?)

2. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,976
    Have you tried RAY DONOVAN?

I was close to quitting towards the end of the first season, but something kept me going and from season 2 onwards it spiralled into a great gangster/mafia war and just when the poo hits the fan, someone brings in a bigger fan and blows it right out of the window.

Liev Schreiber is brilliant, but Jon Voight is stealing the show and then there's a big cast of recurring characters in which the actors bring their own piece of magic to the drama.

I'm only quoting Karin so you know the flow of the conversation

3. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,758
    Medals:
    Yes, that's kind of how I felt, but never quite put it into those words. It still carried on being really really good TV, but I felt it had somehow cheapened itself a little. So even though I really enjoyed it right to the end, I couldn't quite feel as passionately about it as lots of other people seemed to.

My only problem with that show is that it's so long between seasons, I forget who everyone is and how they all know each other. A new season starts, I just get it all figured out and it's off the air for another two years so I forget all over again. It's the one show I'm definitely gonna rewatch all in one go when it's finally over.

For me, The Walking Dead is just what I wanted Lost to be. It isn't so much about the zombies -- except it is, it's always about the zombies -- but it's mostly about the toll living under those extreme conditions for that amount of time takes on those characters. It's about the sheer relentlessness of it all. I suspect when it's eventually finished, it'll turn out to have been a show about grief. Sort of how The X-Files was ultimately about faith.

No, sounds good -- I'm gonna add it to the list!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,606
    Medals:
    And that was shown in three brilliant chapters. But season 4 already started to feel sluggish, characters going from A to B, from B to C and sometimes back to B and killing zombies in the process (or getting killed). The storyline with the young girls was the best bit, but I've fastfowarded a lot and that's why I decided to call it a day.
    It's Joan Collins' favourite TV show.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,611
    Medals:
    Okay thanks, it's like Fallon was taking away by Aliens in Dynasty, isn't it @Willie Oleson?. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,976
    There's lots of ups and downs, at times, too many downs, but overall it's a great show that isn't scared to go against the viewers' wishes.

Obviously, I'm not going to say anything, but have you managed to keep spoiler free from the show? Its popularity means there's plenty of spoiler headlines and I'm curious if you've managed to avoid all that.

7. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,758
    Medals:
    I've occasionally thought an episode was a bit flat, compared to what had just come beforehand, but that's as bad or disappointing as it has ever got. I guess it helps that I came to the show quite ignorant of what to expect. I still don't really know anything about it apart from what I've seen happen on screen!

Pretty much, yes. Occasionally there's some "Oh my God, last night's Walking Dead -- everyone died" hoo ha, but I'm so far behind that I've no idea who or what it relates to.

8. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,976
    Yeah, I see how that helps. I have no idea what goes on with the comics, just like I have no idea what goes on with George R.R. Martin's books in GOT, so if I do accidentally stumble on something, I can very easily look away and dismiss it.

I try to go into TWD blind (it helps by watching the episodes as soon as I can) but unfortunately, I've seen too many headlines where an actor quits and I'm left with wondering when it will happen. So it's not too bad in that sense.

I'm also not clever enough to spot some of the clues that are dropped in before a big event happens and that has its good points (hell I didn't see that coming) and bad points (huh, I don't get what just happened) :lol:

If there is one thing I don't enjoy about the show it's the jumping between times, I just want to watch a story develop without having to go back here, or go forward there. I didn't mind it with LOST, but it seems a popular way of storytelling these days and I happen to be watching shows that want to do this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,758
    Medals:
    The last season I watched, I think it was Season 6, is the one where almost the whole season (or maybe half the season) is just one day, shown from different perspectives. I loved that!

10. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,976
    Oh yes, now that just frustrated me. Maybe it's because I was watching it live weekly and while some of the stuff was great, I wanted to move on, it felt like it was dragging its feet.

A few years back I watched the first two seasons over a couple of weeks and really enjoyed it even better than the first time. I said to myself that when it's over I'm going to binge watch the whole series - assuming it will end soon, I don't fancy that challenge if it goes on another 20 years.

Pretty much like you said (earlier) about doing GOT again once it's done and dusted. There is so much that happens in GOT, that it's important I do it all again and I'm convinced there will still be big surprises for me, even though I have watched it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,606
    Medals:
    I had never thought this would make a big difference, but it really does. It's almost as if the whole show is defined by it's most current episode.
    That's not a problem when every new episode turns out to be a gem, but with shows like new Dynasty it can be….challenging sometimes.
    All that luxurious and comfortable binging has spoilt me, I'm afraid.
    And now I also have to adhere to the crazy US broadcast scheduling - 3 weeks without new new Dynasty episodes is just intolerable.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +581
    Medals:
    The Walking Dead does get a bit crap but then it gets really good again, the most recent season was great and restored my faith in it. There's not many fully serialised shows that make it to 10 Seasons, so it's probably the closest thing to the 80s soaps in years. The end should really be in sight though.

"Grief, a lot of grief" should be the show's tagline.

Apparently Bill Devane considers the London season of 24 to be the best work he's ever done.

Hollyoaks has quite a high turnover of storylines and characters which probably makes it the easiest of the English soaps to jump into. Though a high turnover of plot and characters is my idea of soap hell.

I'm currently watching Season 4, it's strangely comforting in a time of Trump and Brexit. I've no idea what anyone is talking about most of the time.

I enjoyed both but never really cared for them. I really liked Better Call Saul until it starting catching up with the events of Breaking Bad and then I sort of lost interest.

Next to new Twin Peaks, Season 5 of Ray Donovan is the most impressive tv I've seen in recent years. The story for the season elevated the show beyond what it usually is, I found it outstanding. It should have been the final season though, or at least the story should have been kept for what they knew would be the final season. Season 6 is the show getting back to normal business and I struggled with that.

And my mother's!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,976
    Apart from TWD and GOT, I decided to wait until the seasons were complete before starting them.

On tap, just waiting for me is

DYNASTY
    WENTWORTH
    HOMELAND
    ST: DISCOVERY
    LINE OF DUTY

Because of this reason.

14. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,976
    Yes, very much so, although I would have preferred episode 15 as the season finale over what we got.

Yes, I do jump into HO every few years, though with a high turnover it can be somewhat disjointed when I try and play catch up.

Fantastic! I've just finished the third season and that was one hell of a ride.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +19,606
    Medals:
    I've watched the first season many years ago, I thought it was mildly entertaining, nothing extraordinary or something I hadn't seen before.
    The father-son relationship (or lack thereof) seemed as if it wanted to be something, but I just didn't feel it.
    Maybe I wanted it to be "Brotherhood", and well that's not what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,976
    I was close to quitting the show because of these reasonings. It also wasn't what I was looking for, but something kept me going, maybe it was Jon Voight and maybe it was waiting and wanting to see Grace Zabriskie. Whatever it was, I'm very happy I stuck with it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Canon

Canon Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +581
    Medals:
    Oh I really needed that episode, it was...calming.

It probably never is, other than the season I mentioned.

I can't remember how much is revealed in Season 1, but that relationship, the whole Boston backstory and what happened to the Donovan kids pays off continuously.

No, but kind of is eventually. Though I had always thought of Ray Donovan as Brotherhood meets The Sopranos meets Entourage. Brotherhood is a show that feels like it was cut off mid-sentence, with RD at 6 seasons you're getting back on your investment.

RD's uniqueness is the whole LA Noir feel, which they perfect by Season 5.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,758
    Medals:
    I've never really experienced the US scheduling before New DYNASTY. It means I can never properly get into the habit of watching it -- I keep forgetting that it's even on, but then when I do remember, it's like a really nice surprise. So almost every episode feels like an unexpected treat.

Ha!

Really? I think that's the one season (0f the original) that I haven't seen.

That sounds very intriguing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,002
    In its first Australian airing I never watched Seinfeld. I couldn't quite get the humour it was aiming for. Now I consider it one of my top 10 series of all time. Another series which I never had time for but I'm thoroughly enjoying on Netflix is That 70's Show. How did I not watch it first time around because I'm having laugh out loud moments with this one, especially Red and Kitty. Perhaps our tastes change, much like I hated pumpkin growing up but now enjoy. Who knows? Perhaps one day I may consider TNT Dallas classic television and a worthy opponent to Lorimar Dallas.....

:crazyme:

20. Payton Cross

Payton Cross Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,611
    Medals:
    Okay thanks @James from London, maybe i will give it a try someday if it's available on Netflex or tv. :)

• Like Like x 1