1. Check Out Our Musical Secret Santa

Coming to Soap Chat this Christmas

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

What set design changes would you like to have seen?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    Were there any weird, quirky changes to the sets on DYNASTY you would like to have seen or made?

They don't have to be logical or make sense, necessarily.

Gee, I guess I'll start...

At the mansion:

Library --- no changes at all.

Living Room --- it's a bit too white for me, but I accept it for what it is

Conservatory --- first pops up in Season 3; I want it panted in soft green with gold leaf trim, including the curly cues around the fireplace; the furniture is just fine

Solarium --- needs more windows

Dining room --- the initial blue one needed more trim, perhaps some gingerbread trim to offset all that baby blue; the S4 and onward dining room always lacked something --- perhaps a huge tapestry over the buffet

West gallery --- there wasn't one, but I always want a red taffeta lined art gallery set, with gold leaf and white moulding/trim; the mansion just needed that

The dead wing of the hall --- obviously needed to be at least a little longer to make any architectural sense at all

The occasional vista of woods, garden flowers, or mountains visible thru a window

Alexis' triplex penthouse:

These are the four small things I always wanted to see: Warhol painting in a round chrome frame over the fireplace; those white pots replaced with blacks ones of the chinoiserie style (which they did by S6!); that white wall behind her dining table replaced with frosted cranberry glass; the wall of the curved staircase up to her boudoir painted a soft pink (… I could never decide whether I wanted the stairwell to also have windows, the Denver cash register skyscraper hovering just outside)

Alexis' ColbyCo office:

I want her repetitive white overstuffed furniture, especially the chairs in front of that oriental screen, to be soft violet velvet; I want two of those elaborate Chinese pole thingys on either side of her office door; I want a huge, dark painting of Cecil Colby in the outer office fully visible thru her office doors; and I want the two outer panels of that bland five-panel area behind her desk to be purple marble.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    Yes, go with the windows around the staircase. The penthouse was far too stifling, we needed a magnificent layout of Denver visible all throughout Alexis' living room. It would illustrate how Alexis views herself as high above everyone, both literally and figuratively.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,139
    Maybe the balcony should have been featured more and have large windows onto it with the Denver skyline in the background. Similar to what they did with the Seattle skyline on Fraiser.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,139
    Of course everything about La Mirage could have been so much better and I'd have the rooms be something like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Grant Jennings

Grant Jennings Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +382
    I'd keep the mansion layout similar to seasons one and two but I'd move the Dining Room to the other end of the hall, perhaps at the very end. I don't mind the set initially being a little cold and sterile; I imagine Alexis decorated the mansion but over the years when things became worn and needed refurbishing that Blake's conservative taste took over resulting in a lot of antique white, beige and blue.

Reception Room: I'd keep it the same except I'd add the piano alcove with the curved wall with three sets of french doors flanked by columns from the Conservatory set.

Library: The door to the Dining Room would be replaced by a bookcase (as the Library at Filoli is laid out). I'd replace the simple pale blue drapes with damask in a soft gold or russet and add valances. I'd replace the French antiques with English antiques. I'd replace the lacquer and gilt Louis XV desk with a Chippendale partners' desk., something similar to this:
    09087-Vintage-Mahogany-Chippendale-Nostell-Priory-Partner-s-Desk-20thC-1.jpg

I'd replace the cane-back Louis XV chairs with rust velvet seats with George III chairs similar to this but upholstered in a dark tapestry.
    m-275-new.jpg

Living Room: I'd keep it the same for the first few seasons then I'd have Krystle redecorate it, adding color and impressionist paintings.
    MarioBuatta_p044-045.0.jpg

Dining Room: the original blue design was much too plain. The mantel should have been more ornate (this set had a cheap looking mantel, especially compared to the sets for the other rooms) and there should have been paneled wainscoting. There should have been an Aubusson on the floor instead of the beige carpeting. Once Krystle redecorates it wouldn't be too different from the season three redesign but I'd change the wallpaper to give the room just a little more color.
    eldorado-347x304.jpg

The Solarium: the set only has one set of french doors on each side, this should be expanded to look like the inside of this:
    img_0053.jpg
    The cheap metal settee (that Fallon sat on while dreaming of UFOs) needs to go; this rooms needs good Chinese Chippendale antiques.

The Study: a new set, this would be in the back corner next to the Library (where the Dining Room set was located). As you enter the room from the Hall (opposite the staircase) there is a fireplace on the left flanked by the arched bookcases used for some of the bedrooms and added to the Conservatory in season five. There are two sets of french doors on the back wall; the wall on the right has one set of french doors toward the back of the room. Initially the room is decorated in a style similar to the other mansion sets, later Krystle will claim the room and redecorate it in serene shades of blue and green. There will be artworks inspired be nature. Next to the sofa will be a round, skirted table filled with family photos. Krystle's desk is where she'll exchange many heated phone-calls with Alexis.

Fallon's bedroom: I'd keep it essentially the same. When Fallon returns from California the same furniture would be used but it would be refinished in a warm Walnut.

Steven's bedroom: I would have angled the fireplace instead of having it off-center.

Adam's bedroom: just as the Living Room set is reconfigured and reduced in size to function as Steven's first two bedrooms, I'd use the Library set for Adam's bedroom. The layout would be a mirror image of Steven's room and would also have an angled fireplace. Panels of beige grasscloth would be inserted into the upper wall panels and conceal the bookcases.

Amanda's bedroom: it should be "princessy", of course, with a corona over the bed. And pillows, lots and lots of pillows.

Krystle's Dressing Room: a small room with just one window, a chaise lounge, dressing table and mirrored closet doors.

Blake's Dressing Room: a mirror image of Krystle's Dressing Room but finished in dark Walnut.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,717
    La Mirage really damaged the illusion for me of DYNASTY as the show with a grand aesthetic (especially compared to trailer chic DALLAS).
    The inside decor was horrifying, but also it looked nothing like a Colorado hotel.It would not have taken much for them to have some establishing shots of some other location from the Mountain states, same as it would not have taken much for Alexis' penthouse to have some view of the Denver skyline. While I think story-wise season 3 is around the same level as the second one, the big difference is the attention to other aspects drops precipitously, and of course both these locations were added then. At least they still filmed at Arden Villa (which they later abandoned).

• Like Like x 3
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    A vulgar/ballsy "welcome to our home" picture.

[​IMG]
    Wholesome And Loaded To The Core (a.k.a. Walteeteecy Manor)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    That's exactly what I was thinking of. :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ked

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,529
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,433
    Adam actually picked a cool, late 50s/early 60s, petrol-jade colour for Jeff's office.
    upload_2018-10-21_4-18-39.png
    I think they also used it for Zach Powers' apartment?

11. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +5,738
    Oh, yes. The La Mirage lobby should have looked like a glorified ski-lodge --- all stone and brick and timber, with a window to the right of that fireplace containing a view of a snow-capped Colorado peak. And no white carpet.

Something elegant but cozy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    • Like Like x 1