What should we do with Peewee DiVilbus?

Discussion in 'Dynasty' started by Snarky's Ghost, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,697
    Medals:
    I felt he was one of the things which helped ruin Season 4 -- which is likely why they wrote him out quicker than originally intended. It seemed an inspired idea: worldly and savvy Fallon, the girl with "a gypsy's instinct" about things as long as they're not about a man she's interested in, gets taken in by a posh, titled slice of Eurotrash out to bilk her.

What would you have done with this storyline and character?

Recast him, never using Helmut at all? Who would you cast?

Kept Helmut but have the show play out honestly how disgusting he is?

Never do the story?

I've said before that I like the idea of returning France Benard to the show a year after his brief appearance as Count Pierre du Chalon at the La Mirage grand opening and then have him take the place of the DiVilbis character (or however you spell it) scamming Fallon and perhaps having Count du Chalon gradually introduce us to the Moldavia scenario.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,231
    Medals:
    I would definitely change the actor to someone charming and sexy and I would have Fallon become addicted to coke. Considering the amount of cocaine done in the 80's, especially by the rich, it seems ridiculous that none of the primetime soaps ever had a main character that got into it. It was only ever a sleazy secondary character who was bad news, wasn't around for long and ended up dead. It would have been far more interesting than the story lines Fallon had that season.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,104
    Medals:
    I would have loved to see Fallon not becoming a victim again.
    Why couldn't she use him while he thought he was using her?
    [​IMG]
    A tale with an unexpected twist would have been nice (he was trampled to death by the horse, or something like that)

I don't think Count Pierre was more interesting than De Vilbis.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ked

Ked Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,048
    Medals:
    No, but he was loads better-looking and had more charm. :lol:

Ooh, nice! I like that. :D

• Like Like x 3
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,104
    Medals:
    Oh wait, Alexis would suggest that it was murder, not an accident - and that Krystle's precious horse is in fact an evil, dangerous animal that has to be killed.

And they had already done that on Little House On The Prairie.

Unless the horse would be officially charged with murder, then they could take it to court.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,231
    Medals:
    Sounds plausible. I imagine that just as the jury is about deliver it's verdict some shocking evidence is admitted that turns everything on its head. Cctv footage showing it was actually Alexis in a horse costume that trampled him to death.

*sigh* Why couldn't they have had this kind of quality writing on the show? I mean, c'mon, it's not that hard. if I could do it anyone can.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,104
    Medals:
    Or was Alexis the horse's jealous ex-lover? We know how much she likes the studs.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,231
    Medals:
    Quite likely. I would have liked to have seen Blake fight back with some footage of this after Alexis tries to sabotage his campaign for governor with the whorehouse footage.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,104
    Medals:
    Thank God Clinton and Trump had more style and class, otherwise it would have looked very ugly.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,697
    Medals:
    Count Pierre, whom we saw little of, was more polished and charming and, hence, more of what DYNASTY seemed to aim for.

But PeeWee DeVilbus was what we usually got. So it's metaphorical for the show as a whole, in a way.

And that's an argument to be made.

Was Helmut Berger an acceptable presence on the show, if they'd admitted to and played up his sleaziness? Which they didn't really do, which makes the story kind of a cheat.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,697
    Medals:
    A lot of that had to do with Nancy Reagan and her "just say 'no'" anti-drug campaign -- a disingenuous campaign given that she was hyped up on prescription meds all the time and was constantly falling because of it, the cow.

The pressure got so bad that for quite a while in the '80s on American TV, you couldn't even make a drug reference or joke even on a talk show; they cut or squibbled the audio.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,104
    Medals:
    Shame that none of these events seem obscure anymore.
    Everything and everyone can be traced, one way or another. Many crimes end up (accidentally or not) on people's cellphones.

But it was so eerie and Twin Peaks-esque when they spotted Danny Waleska in Gary Ewing's happy family video.
    I think Dynasty could use another character with a slightly "gritty" look, like Nick Toscanni, and Matthew Blaisdel before him.
    Not everyone has to be pwetty & shine-y.
    Agree, they could have played that to the hilt.
    And yet there's something about his blasé performance that just makes sense for that character, even if it wasn't always entertaining to watch.
    Lame!

• Like Like x 2
  13. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    Medals:
    I didn't mind the fact that Fallon was being duped by some Eurotrashy sleazebag, after all it was karmatic justice after the way she used and abused men for years by this point, by like alot of things in season 4 it was how it executed, at least TPTB understood that Pee Wee wasn't working in the series and wrote him out,
    Helmut Berger was good in the role because he did have that worn out, sleazy, "I slept my way through every guy and girl in Europe in the 60s and 70s" look about him.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,697
    Medals:
    Yes, although I'd argue DYNASTY's men had rarely been pretty and shiny. Although they seemed to think so. Jeff was a boring jerk. Steven#2 was uptight to the point of being unwatchable. Adam was just right. I was fine with Prince Michael (even though he had nothing to do). Luke and Bart were nerd-monsters.

So I wouldn't have minded if PeeWee had been replaced by somebody really dashingly, sophisticatedly european, like perhaps the Count.

Pretty much.

Very. But in the States' media, it was wall to wall in the '80s: "Just say 'no'!"

I can't disagree with any of that. But if they were going to don the sleazebag Helmut for the storyline, they seemed conflicted -- as so much of DYNASTY was by that time -- about wanting to at least half sell him as a seductively attractive suitor, as if they wanted the audience to feel the same way about him that Fallon did -- until he had to be fired, of course.

So if the audience were asked to chow down on that Berger, there should have been more obvious retching.

Either make him better or worse.

• Like Like x 4
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,104
    Medals:
    I don't think "Fallon" (as we used to know her) would be very impressed by a glossy, seductively attractive man - been there done that, during her globetrotting days.
    The chauffeur, the older psychiatrist, Jeff's uncle - those men were interesting (for various reasons, as long as they weren't perfect or, preferably, totally unsuitable).
    Whatever it was that didn't work in season 4, I think it was mostly Fallon's perception of PDV, and not the casting of that character.
    Or vice versa.

The funny thing is, given Berger's attitude while filming in America, that it almost looks as if the character was written for him. They were basically the same person.
    Whether that's good or bad depends on who you ask, I guess.

Would "we" have liked him better if it had been filmed 15 years earlier?
    [​IMG]
    Because he really was a very, very handsome man.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +7,697
    Medals:
    One wonders if Esther was looking at old 8x10 glossies when she hired him. Same with Rock Hudson.

By the time they were on DYNASTY they were two corpses. Ali MacGraw made it three.

• Like Like x 2
  17. tommie

tommie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,099
    Medals:
    Well, as has been pointed out before, they'd often hire actors who were well past their prime yet they still continued to write them as if they still were in their heydays. Helmut might've worked if they amped up the sleaze factor and acknowledged that he was past it and possibly desperate to land/scam rich heiress Fallon.

• Like Like x 4
  18. ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989

ArchieLucasCarringtonEwing1989 Soap Chat Addict

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,772
    Medals:
    At the risk of going all SciNasty here, how about De Vilbes is a washed up magician, who fled Europe in the early 70s after a trick of his went terribly wrong, the trick happened to involve a wealthy benefactor from a prominent European or Arabian aristocratic family and he conveniently inherits said benefactors fortune, except by the time we see him in Denver in 1983, he's nearly penniless, just living a life of a "poor aristocrat" living off others and doing occasional miracles, he has a small cult which is a phony group, he tries to expand on Fallon's telepathy which is exacerbated when she's hit by the car, which causes her headaches, because her telepathy has opened up her empathetic skills as she feels the woes of Colorado and causes her to flee, and now folks we have the real reason as to why Fallon became amnesiac.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Chippie

Chippie Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Peter (obviously different actor) could have been the son of one of the heads of the Consortium who was suppose to infiltrate the Carrington/Colby Denver oil companies

• Like Like x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +20,104
    Medals:
    He's one year older than Michael Nader, and two years younger than Linda Evans.
    Many of Dynasty's core cast members were no spring chickens anymore, and special guest stars were obviously cast for their name & fame value.

But don't fear, the CW Dynasty cast is younger:)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1