1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Story Lines Of The Later Years

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Bobby Southworth, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Bobby Southworth

Bobby Southworth Soap Chat Member EXP: 3 Months

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Would you not give up? What were some of the better plots? As I stated, the tanker collision and oil spill in season 13 stands out, and Cliff's transformation during season 11 was done well. The scene where he makes peace with Miss Ellie. Also, at the risk of being cast out of here before I've barely even arrived:crazy: I also thought there was some merit to the story involving Bobby's brief obsession with the Pam lookalike in season 13. At least it finally showed that he had some emotion and consideration for Pamela after all, and it was true that he never got to say goodbye to her, albeit, by his own choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Miss Texas 1967

Miss Texas 1967 Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 5 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I don't know what everyone else thought of the Nicholas Pearce storyline but on rewatch I enjoyed it a lot, not necessarily the affair with Sue Ellen stuff, moreso the friendship with April and vague mystery behind who he was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,350
    The whole story of Bobby and April's relationship, everything that eventually led to them getting married and the marriage itself is something I enjoyed. It was once story and I thought they were very good for each other. Sheree J. Wilson was the one really great addition to the show in the later years and she had a big part in keeping the series still fun to watch in its later years.

You don't think Bobby show emotion or consideration for Pam until the Pam-lookalike story? He was devastated when he saw her in the hospital all bandaged up after the accident. He showed plenty of emotion and consideration. How about the consideration Pam showed Bobby? She left him repeatedly. Bobby never left her. Bobby never broke up with her. At some point, when a woman keeps running away from her husband, you can't blame him when he decides he's had enough of her doing that to him.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Miss Texas 1967

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I liked Bobby and April a lot. On the topic of Jeanne O'Brien, I find it really odd that any woman would be happy to play the part she did in Bobby's life. Who'd want to date a guy that admits he's only interested in you because you look like his ex-wife? I know she said she liked that she got a chance with a guy who was worlds away from the life she lived, but if you look at it deeper, she didn't. Bobby spent time with Jeanne knowing she wasn't Pam but wishing she was, he wasn't really giving her a chance. That wasn't the point of the storyline but from a woman's perspective it's weird lol

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,350
    I agree that most women wouldn't want that, but a woman who had a self-esteem problem might feel like it was helping her feel better about herself by being with a man she thought was 'too good for her", just like a man with a self-esteem problem might feel like a woman he thought was "too good for him" was making him fee better about himself. Jeanne would not have felt better about herself in the long term, but maybe at the time, she felt like it helped her.It's the only answer that occurs to me right now as to why she would want that. She even told him that with her, he could have Pam when he wanted, so I suspect she had self-esteem issues.

6. Bobby Southworth

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yes, Bobby was devastated at first, but as soon as he got the divorce papers she sent, he tells the family never to speak of her again. Huh? I understand being upset by her behavior, and her behavior was out of character as well(as I've stated previously my disdain for the way this whole ordeal was handled by the writers), but in her defense, she was traumatized. As soon as he got those divorce papers, he seemed to turn his back on her. When Cliff had a lead on where she was by the end of season 11, Bobby just simply says, "She knows where I am." It seemed he just shut off all emotion for Pam until season 13 and Jeanne. This is not reflective of my opinion of who treated who the worst/best prior to the accident. I do think Bobby deserved to be treated better than he was on several occasions during their first marriage. However, he also wasn't perfect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +852
    I'm actually in the middle of a season 10 onward re-watch because I don't remember much and have never watched beyond Sue Ellen's departure. I have always liked the Calhoun storyline, however.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bobby Southworth

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I imagine Jeanne looked at this as an opportunity to get her foot in the door of having a relationship with a guy like Bobby. She probably hoped he would eventually begin to want her for her. No, it doesn't make her very likable, but the reason the story line stands out to me is more because we finally see Bobby showing some emotion for Pam.

9. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,350
    I would imagine getting divorce papers from a woman will do that to man, especially if this is their second marriage she wants to end. At some point, he decides that he's not going to spend his whole life keeping on trying to convince her to come back when she doesn't want to. If she does want to, she knows where he lives.

I think it's self-preservation. How much longer can he go on feeling devastated? He's got to be able to function. He's got a responsibility to his son to be able to effectively parent him.

10. Bobby Southworth

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Yes, but in this instance, why did she want to end it? She had just been in a horrific car crash where she was probably burned beyond recognition. She wasn't in her right state of mind. She probably thought she was ending things for Bobby and Christopher's benefit. It seems Bobby would have known this, and at least tried to have one final conversation with her, but instead, he just seems to blame her and compartmentalize. I get the need for self preservation and needing to take care of Christopher, but it seems that behavior should have come a little later, after he at least tried to see her, which he never did.

11. Jimmy Todd

Jimmy Todd Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,436
    You both make valid points. Bobby had been through so much with Pam up to that point. I can see him shutting down emotionally to keep his sanity.
    However, what doesn't make sense is the reaction of the other characters. Someone should have said, if not to Bobby than to another family member, that Oam could be traumatized and not thinking rationally. When Sue Ellen went off on one of her worst drinking binges JR was ready to close the book on her. Miss Ellie told him straight out he can't just do that since she was part of the family. Yeah, the situation wasn't exactly the same, and it was the Dream Season, but it still is more true to character. It's hard to believe Miss Ellie would let it just end the way it did.
    I can even see JR using his connections to find out exactly what happened to Pam. Not necessarily to bring her back, but to either keep her away or to make it look like he brought her back for Bobby when he needed to play the "hero card," in one of his schemes.

12. Laurie Marr

Laurie Marr Soap Chat Active Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +467
    Yup. The oil tanker collision was the last story - after a couple of very lacklustre years - that really felt like Dallas. I even remember being surprised at the time at this very unexpected return to form. Alas, it was all too brief and the storylines nosedived again. This time terminally.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,468
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Miss Texas 1967

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I know people have a real distaste for the institution storyline, but you have to admit this was funny. I thought JR's friendship with the guys there was cute.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1