1. Musical Secret Santa

It's a Secret!

Click here for more details

Dismiss Notice

What titles are in your Netflix/Amazon etc list?

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Willie Oleson, May 2, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
    Movies and series in your "My List" that you are currently watching or plan to watch.
    And do you often change your list i.e. adding or removing titles? Based on reviews, perhaps?

• Like Like x 2
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    Oh, it's just bewildering. There's so much on it!

I've just finished Bloodline so that's just off my "My List."

I see they have Doctor Foster. Have you seen that, Willie? I reckon you'd have a lot of fun with that.

3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
    I had never heard of this Doctor Foster and assumed Dutchflix didn't have it. But they do!
    +added!
    But not everything is great.
    My favourites are the ones that I wanted to watch before I subscribed to Netflix. e.g. Gran Hotel, Penny Dreadful, The Churchmen etc.
    And then there were series that I already liked and NF offered new episodes so I no longer had to get the DVDs from the library (or buy them, like The Good Wife).

Damnation, The Affair and Black Mirror are the ones that I discovered because of Netflix.

• Like Like x 1
  4. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    Oh, good. It's kind of/sort of/not really the modern version of Bouquet of Barbed Wire. It's nothing like it at all really, except that it's similarly more-ish.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
  6. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    On Netflix: Dynasty, Homeland, Modern Family, Family Guy, A.D., David & Goliath, The Americans, The Good Wife, Fuller House, Orphan Black etc.

On HBO Nordic, there is no "My List" button, but there I watch Game of Thrones, Veep, The Handmaid's Tale, Big Little Lies, The Good Fight, Mad Men, Rome, Penny Dreadful, Our Cartoon President, Divorce, Fargo etc.

7. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,682
    I just realised I don't watch that many tv shows on Netflix. It's more like docu-stuff. The only one I am currently watching is Nu-Dynasty.

8. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
    I liked the original movie, but IMDB lists 23 episodes. Is that true? I guess there are a lot of new sub-plots, otherwise they wouldn't be able to stretch it to the max.

9. Emelee

Emelee Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Season 2 is on-going and there will even be a 3rd season!

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
    upload_2018-5-20_7-33-47.png upload_2018-5-20_7-34-6.png

One of the most poignant crime mysteries I've ever seen. It's great drama, disguised as a whodunit slasher.
    After the first episode I wasn't sure what to think of it but I kept watching because it was so atmospheric - ironically there's no sense of doom and terror at all but that also made it very intriguing. And there are two big reveals, one from the past and one from the present, and I found it extremely rewarding.

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
    [​IMG]
    Of course I had to see this.
    Most of the houses are ugly and the interior designs are rather boring compared to the exteriors, that was a bit disappointing.
    The presenters are extremely enthusiastic and they think everything is "extraoooooordinary" and that also makes it more fun to watch.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
    And it's also kind of/not really/but maybe yeah opposite version of The Affair.
    The story cuts to the chase and within a few minutes there's wine and tension - and I don't even know these characters.
    I love a good adultery story and I want to know everything (*if* there is an affair, this hasn't been confirmed yet but he's a married man so I think he dunit)

• Like Like x 1
  13. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    Yeah, no, kind of -- exactly.

There's so much wine and so much tension and so much wine. I really like the supporting characters as well -- the neighbours, the people she knows at work.

Well, that's the big question.

In other Netflix news:

I never thought I'd say this cos I've no interest in the royal family, but I bloody loved The Crown. I'm not a binge watcher by nature, but I binged the life out of this. Doctor Who as Prince Philip blew my mind. At the very, very least, it's a brilliant soap opera. You know how like on very year on Dallas, they'd say "This is gonna destroy Ewing Oil!"? In every episode of The Crown, they're all like, "This is going to destroy the monarchy!" And yet it's all real -- but they make it feel like really exciting fiction. And sometimes it really breaks your heart.

New Lost in Space is interesting and kind of fun. It's no New Battlestar Galactica, but it's not meant to be.

I want to love Peaky Blinders, but I'm struggling with the bizarre Birmingham accents (that's where I'm from). And I'm watching Toast of London as well cos a mate recommended it to me. It's funny.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
    It's been on and off my to-watch list for months now. As a rule, I'm not a fan of stories about people who are still alive. I usually find them too awkward or glorifying, plus the feeling that there has to be some sort of censorship.
    I gave up after 4 episodes, the arty-farty camerawork made it unwatchable for me.
    Of course I have no problem with beautiful imagery, but not at the expense of the actors. Let them do their job, I want to see the characters - not two minutes of lighting a cigarette.

But I had also not expected to like Sense8 and Slasher, but I did.

Just noticed there are new episodes of The Americans. Cool!

15. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    It goes to places I never thought it would -- the royal family's Nazi connections, their sex lives. It feels almost blasphemous, yet compassionate at the same time. It's so weird that it's taken fictionalising these people to make them seem human to me for the first time.

I hear good things about that. Maybe I'll ditch Peaky Blinders for The Americans ...

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
    I begin to wonder if this really is about a cheating husband. All the evidence suggest that's what it is, but it's almost too straightforward - and I still haven't seen the affair itself yet.
    Are they trying to sidetrack the viewer's attention, and does that mean there is something else going on? Like the old doctor said "sometimes it's the place". Suspicion, suspicion….
    Hmm, that doesn't look particularly censored. And of course I want to see the "Diana Years" (featuring Koo Stark), OK, it's back on the list.
    It's something different. And a great cast too!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
    Just finished the first series of Doctor Foster, it was amazing. The dinner scene was very "Bouquet Of Barbed Wire", I was constantly wringing my hands.
    The story is full of beautiful (mostly nasty) surprises and confrontations, and I felt so sorry for that child.
    The acting is top-notch and the lead actress does a great job portraying a not very likeable victim. Gemma really is that "doctor" type.

• Like Like x 1
  18. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    ... only it turns out The Americans isn't on Netflix in the UK. So Fargo it is. And so far(go), so good.

That's great! Series 2 is very Another Bouquet - only better.

19. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,528
    Bummer! I think you would have liked it. Have you seen Tyrant? Apparently it's also a dysfunctional wealthy family show.
    I agree, it's brilliantly awkward and nasty. It's like JR and Sue Ellen trying to drive eachother out of town. And then there's Gemma's best friend Ros, she's the last person I'd confide in.

20. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,509
    Never heard of it -- and apparently it's already on its fourth season!

Agreed. I like the neighbours across the street. The wife is the Queen Mother in The Crown.

Just finished the first episode of Fargo. It's really, really, really good. it reminds me a bit of the start of Breaking Bad -- timid, downtrodden man gets ****** into something *** and pretty soon everything starts ********** out of ******.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)