What titles are in your Netflix/Amazon etc list?

Discussion in 'TV Central' started by Willie Oleson, May 2, 2018.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    Yesterday I had a sneaky peek before I went to bed and I got the impression that this could actually be CW DYNASTY II: NuMoldavia.
    It's about an American family and the father happens to be the son of an Arabian president.
    Brother to sister: "yeah, you're sort of a Kate Middleton".
    Come to think of it, it's not that different from the middle class Gioberti's being related to the richest and most powerful woman in the world.
    There goes my plan to start with the new season of The Americans (which had torpedoed my initial plan to finish season 2 of Sisters). Damn you, netflix!
    Neil and Anna were an interesting couple. Neil reminded me of Michael C Hall, who played an Englishman in his thriller series SAFE.
    I was also very impressed by the actress who played Kate.
    I liked the ending, he finally decided to get away from all the psychologic terror. Worst parents I've ever seen.
    I'm always interested in really really really good stories.

I think I need a schedule.

2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    Oh yes, a schedule is essential.

3. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    Just finished the pilot episode and I think I've stumbled upon a gusher. No mention of oil yet, but apart from that it really is DALLAS in the Middle East.
    But with more sex and violence and - are my eyes deceiving me? - a pretty gay son named Sammy.
    The marriage of the nasty brother is a shambles and his wife strikes me as somewhat cold and embittered. The mother, Alice Krige (Alexis Colby from the Guilty Pleasure movie) wants the best for everyone "your father has changed, he really has". Yeah, right!
    I'm a bit drunk from the soap bubbles!

4. superman fan

superman fan Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Netflix list
    Fuller house
    Blue bloods
    Supernatural
    He man and the masters of the univers

5. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +180
    I'm a sucker for nostalgic television, but because of Netflix I've learned to love new shows too, like The Alienist, Ash vs. Evil Dead, The Cliff, The Crown, Dark, The Missing, Once Upon a Time, Scream, Stranger Things... There's a lot on my list too: American Horror Story, Bates Motel, Grimm, The Mist, Peaky Blinders...

6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    Actually, it's more like The Sopranos.

7. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    I'm currently watching season 3 of Tyrant, the show that nobody likes eventhough it's all kinds of fantastic.
    But now the bad guys have kidnapped Emma and I decided that I needed to watch something less tense this Friday night.
    So I started to browse Netflix' comedy section eventhough I had no intention to watch any of it, I just like to pretend to avoid the drama for a while.

But then I was intrigued by the description of Hannah Gadsby: Nanette.
    A comedian who wants to quit comedy? I could sense a bit of drama there eventhough I was trying (ahem, ahem) to avoid that.

Click.
    [​IMG]
    Too late!
    But this show was funny and tense, and that's why I think it was an excellent choice.
    There were quite a few unpopular topics because it seems to me that everyone has already tackled them, funnily enough that also made it a bit surprising.
    Now I still don't know if she really quit comedy (already checked Wiki) but there were definitely some moments that could have been taken from a movie about a comedian who quits comedy right there and then.
    Fascinating.

• Like Like x 1
  8. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    Speaking of comedies on Netflix, I watched the trailer for Grace and Frankie recently. A sitcom starring Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson - there’s a time that would have been a huge deal, but it’s already on its second or third season and I’ve heard nothing about it, whether it’s great or terrible or what. I guess there are just too many shows to keep track of now. Not a great title though - sounds like a cross between Grace Under Fire and Frankie and Johnny. I loved Frankie and Johnny, but the thought of it as a sitcom makes my heart sink a bit.

Tyrant’s not on Netflix in the UK sadly.

9. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    I guess name-titles for sitcoms only work for the instant hits (like Seinfeld) or spin-offs (like Joey).
    Maybe the best title is the answer-before-the-question "why?". Why is it called "The Good Wife"? But TGW is not a sitcom, of course.

A few months ago I've tried an episode of Sam Elliott's "The Ranch", hoping it would turn out to be a drama after all, but according to the laughter track it really was a sitcom.

Incidentally, I wonder why they've never experienced with audio responses in drama series. Like, "DYNASTY was recorded for a live audience".

10. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    Yes that one caught my eye the other day as well, but then I realised it was a sitcom.

11. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    [​IMG]
    A dry and not very intimate documentary, and some of them are still connected with the industry (or have given up not so long ago) so there's not much contrast.
    Mostly big names (female performers) and I had hoped to hear from the people who actually "disappeared".
    There were some clips of old interviews and movies, non-graphic of course, but overall it just felt very matter-of-factly like reading a wiki page.

12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    SoapLand goes spiritual with GREENLEAF.
    upload_2018-7-11_23-34-37.png

Holy Soap! There is something wrong with this family.
    I'm sure this has been discussed before the site crashed - I wasn't watching it at that time - but there's going to be a third season.

13. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    It's a Soap Oprah!:lmao:

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    Greenleaf is a soap that does what a soap has to do, but the tone of this series is a bit too "clean", and I don't mean the religious aspect.
    Jacob and Kerissa were an interesting couple (dysfunctional, ambitious, clutching at straws) but they have been fixed now.
    [​IMG]

It's enjoyable but there's still too much façade, and that makes it sort of a lightweight soap (like Paper Dolls, for example).
    Or are they trying to show me how well-behaved black people can be, even when they're doing bad things?
    I'll watch the rest of season 1, but Greenleaf is not a show that's going to linger.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    A few long-awaited emotional outbursts in season 1's last episodes made me decide to continue with season 2.

I still haven't warmed to the story's protagonist, daughter Grace Greenleaf, because she takes herself so seriously and there isn't much chemistry between her and the other characters.
    But actrice Lynn Whitfield hams it up as the controlling matriarch Daisy Mae "First Lady" Greenleaf, especially in her role of the antagonist.
    [​IMG]
    Ironically, she's also the most religious, but she won't hesitate to use her faith as a weapon to protect her empire.
    The scene with her enstranged sister (played by Oprah Winfrey) was one of the highlights of season 1.

16. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    Halfway season 2 now and I must say it's pretty good, they're not trying so hard anymore.
    The religion is there all the time but it's not really a religious soap - it's not about what they do, it's what they are. It's a way of life, and the actors (all very good) perform that life in a relaxed manner. Not that I agree with everything, but I don't have to. It's not my story it's theirs.
    I like all the Mass scenes, it's outrageously showy from a Catholic's point of view but GREENLEAF leaves it to the viewer what to think of it, and I think that's one of the show's selling points.
    This season has a new villain, and he's short and funny. Jacob Greenleaf is sort of a black Gary Ewing and he's still my favourite.
    And the First Lady, well she keeps on purring and she thinks she's the most dignified person on earth. A very entertaining character indeed.

I wonder if @Daniel Avery and @Jason73 have watched this series because I know they're watching the other Oprah soap THATHN.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Daniel Avery

Daniel Avery Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,313
    Nah, The Haves and the Have Nots is more than enough greed, backstabbing, and scenery-chewing for my diet. HAHN just had a great cliffhanger leading into a month-long break, so I'm even more "sated" than usual.

But thanks for asking. ;)

18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +14,872
    upload_2018-7-21_16-26-28.png

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,245

I hadn't even heard of it until today. It sounds interesting. I've added it to my watch list. I'd really like to get back to THATHN. I wish the episodes were on iTunes or Hulu or Netflix or Amazon.

20. Jason73

Jason73 Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,245
    Hey @Willie Oleson I thought of you the other day: I've been rewatching Knots Landing and I was on season 7 and the lady playing Joshua's waitress hook-up was so familiar I had to check IMDb to figure out what else I knew her from. Leslie Hope is the actress and she was in Slasher, as Judith, so I flashed back to our Slasher chats. Then I noticed that she was also in Tyrant, which I know you were watching too. And she was in Suits, which @Ome has been watching. She's everywhere! (She's actually been in a million things that I've watched over the years.) Anyways, I was thinking of you, if your ears were burning or anything, now you know why. :)

• Winner Winner x 2

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 4)