What To Do With Emma?

Discussion in 'Falcon Crest' started by Angela Channing, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,326
    Emma was always the naïve, eccentric, slightly deranged member of the Channing family. When I originally watched the series, I thought her personality was the result of being traumatised by witnessing the death of Jason and being confused by the aftermath of his accident.

However, when the truth about Jason's death was revealed in court, they could have made the character go one of 2 ways. Either what they did, which was to keep her personality much the same or they could have made Emma to go away for some psychotherapy to deal with her trauma and come back a more wily and worldly character. I expected the latter option but I kind of liked that they didn't change her significantly.

Do you think a less scatty, sharper version of Emma would have worked? It would have opened her up to the possibility of a wider range of storylines for her character instead of repeatedly falling in love with men that would dupe her to get their hands on her money.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Jock Og

Jock Og Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,486
    For most of her time on the show there was a comic relief element to Emma, which I liked. Had she become sharper in seasons 2 - 8 inclusive the comic relief could have been lost. When the final season came on stream Angela's ba had to eventually toughen up, in the absence of her mother and Maggie. I do see your point about all her failed relationships but of all the men she was with it was Dwayne Cooley who was the most genuine. Having her settle with Dwayne had he not died in the earthquake would undoubtedly have altered her. Although it seemed she was never destined to be happy for any substantial duration, with a man. Taking everything into account the status quo for Emma would my preference.

Emma has recently married uncouth Charley St. James. Frank Agretti joins Emma and Angela, in the living room of the Falcon Crest mansion, (a scene from season 9, 1989 - '90):

Frank gives Angela a glass of FC Cabernet Sauvignon 1984: "Here Angie."

Angela: "Oh, thank you Frank! How long is this Charley going to stay?"

Emma: "I dunno. We have some things to resolve."

Angela: "Like your marriage."

Charley St. James appears with a glass bowl. The contents of which were given to Chao-Li, by the pickers in the morning.

Charley to Angela: "Try these grapes. They're great. Juicy!"

Angela: "No thank you Mr. St. James!"

Charley: "Ah......call me Charley, Angie."

Frank drinks some brandy and looks to be mad, at the newcomer.

Charley then goes over to Emma and tells her, "Open up!" before putting a grape in her mouth. He then eats one.

Angela is sitting unusually tight lipped and clearly not impressed. Emma is besotted.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,432
    Televangelist. She could pair up with Joshua Rush.

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. Gold Canyon 340

Gold Canyon 340 Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I'm now picturing her in Tammy Faye make-up. It would have been perfect!! They could have done the water-into-wine Falcon Crest Jesus special.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,879
    I loved Emma in season 1, she and Turner Bates were a delightfully dysfunctional couple.
    [​IMG]

When she returned she became sort of a one-trick pony, OK, maybe two tricks: 1. half-baked, sexless romances and 2. sitcom situations.
    Angela and Richard should have made her suffer a little bit more. Soaps need good victims too.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,326
    I really loved the character but as you say, she became a one trick pony however, it was a very good trick. There was an opportunity when they could have changed her early on but they chose not to and once she became established as the super naïve, gullible eccentric they were limited in what they could do with her.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,879
    How's tricks?:D

• Funny Funny x 6
  8. Gioberti84

Gioberti84 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Emma was enjoyable because there was not any other character like her, in the other shows. This did result in repetitive storylines but I didn't mind. Her funny talk was second to Angie's and there was also her power walk.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chris2

Chris2 Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I loved her. In a way, she was the only one on the show who had some sort of hold/power over Angela. And she wasn’t scared of her at all.

• Agree Agree x 2