1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Type Of Dallas Series Do You Want To See Now?

Discussion in 'Dallas - The Original Series' started by Ray_Krebbs, Feb 26, 2020.

?

What Interests You The Most?

Poll closed Mar 27, 2020.
  1. Another Continuation

45.0%
  2. A Prequel

20.0%
  3. A Reboot

15.0%
  4. A Movie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Something Else

20.0%
  1. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,860
    What really scares me is the fact that $ynthia has been MIA and all quiet for 5 long years...as if she were planning a return...with a vengeance!!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    Well, we shall see but I highly doubt Warner's would approach her because of the performance of that Cyntax Dallas series of hers.

They'll probably go with all new writers & an all new cast.

I very much doubt Cynthia Cidre will be asked back. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Star EXP: 3 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    The horror!

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    With the utmost respect to David Jacobs for creating one the best television series ever would it be considered an injustice to place that much pressure on him? He may have given birth to Dallas but once his other creation - Knots Landing was greenlit - his involvement with Dallas diminished over the years.

Upon hearing the news Dallas had been resurrected I thought his concept making John Ross the good guy and Christopher the bad guy was interesting.

5. pete lashmar

pete lashmar Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Threads:
    D.J
    Ratings:
    +982
    He wasn't even consulted from what I remember, then when asked about it he showed surprise that they never considered switching the sons' morals. That would have offered up so much more drama within the family and given Bobby his old self vs JR AND his son - but that's just another reason why TNT failed miserably.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Kenny Coyote

Kenny Coyote Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    I don't know if "injustice" is the way to describe it, but based on his leaving Dallas to make Knots Landing, it's pretty clear that Knots Landing was where his passion was - not Dallas. I don't know how closely he followed Dallas after his departure for Knots Landing, or if he did, I don't know that he was necessarily a big fan of it. I haven't read much about him, so I'm sure there are people here who might have more insight into that - did he continue to follow Dallas closely and did he like it a lot?

That he was thinking of the continuation in terms of "good cousin" against "bad cousin" makes me wonder if he looked at original Dallas as "good brother" against "bad brother." That may have been his original view of it, but it certainly didn't stay that way.

Jacobs wanted to have the series primarily center around Pam and Bobby and have JR as more of a secondary character, which shows he doesn't have all the best ideas.

I don't think people would want to see such a simple, black and white division with JR and Christopher being the "bad team" and Bobby and John Ross being the "good team."

That would create a father vs. son dynamic. I don't believe Dallas would have had anywhere near the success it did if it had been built around it being father against son. That would have been a very ugly direction in which to take it. Family against family - the Barnes-Ewing feud - was a far more appealing way to build conflict, and it sure worked!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    Four people have described the new Dallas show they want to see see as "something else" besides a continuation, a prequel, a reboot, or a movie.

What do you have in mind for a new Dallas show you want to see that doesn't fit into one of those four categories?

8. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    After her TNT show got cancelled, she did try something else: She was the showrunner for ABC's "Blood and Oil" starring Don Johnson. Cidre got fired form her position as showrunner for Blood and Oil and was replaced with a different showrunner.

Cidre has been pretty consistent with one thing - earning pink slips.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    With the benefit of hindsight it's just a pity she wasn't fired off Dallas!

A new showrunner might've been able to turn the sliding ratings around & make the show more about the Ewing's rather than sidelining them with hokey drug cartel storylines. :(

• Like Like x 2
  10. Barbara Fan

Barbara Fan Super Moderator Staff Member

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +11,135
    Nothing was going to save that sinking ship - It had a second rate cast and even Pat Duffy was insufferable off camera just as Bobby was insufferable onscreen
    Im glad it ended - just took too long and 3 series to do it and to tarnish my Dallas memories
    I found it painful to watch and sad to see its decline into nonsense with a whole bunch of folk who were NOT DALLAS that i didnt give a :censer: for.
    RIP x

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Taylor Bennett Jr.

Taylor Bennett Jr. Soap Chat Dream Maker EXP: 1 Year

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +3,454
    now that I think of it... I want to see @James from London's cartoon, DALLAS IN SPACE!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    It was a shame though.

The first & second season's were quite good but that third season was an insult to any of the die hard Dallas fan's who loved it from it's original run on CBS & BBC1. :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,624
    By and large the only truly good bits in the TNT series were scenes with Larry and Linda. To be fair, Linda and Patrick also did well with some iffy material. But once Larry died, the thing went to pot, season three was reminiscent of the Angelica Nero Eurovision Song Contest clishmaclaver from the original series.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  14. Via The Void

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +1,372
    I'll be honest here.

The original run of Dallas in the 1980's helped me come to terms with my sexuality. So yeah I'm gay.

Both Josh Henderson & Jesse Metcalfe are great eye candy which was one of the reason's I tuned in to the new Dallas.

I've never seen the third TNT Dallas season, despite owning the DVD.

Perhaps it's time I actually watched Cidre's third season. Has that third season got any redeeming features in it, or should I just avoid watching it!?! :(

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +10,624
    Perhaps the best way to sum up is the fact that I have the DVD, just like I have for seasons 13 & 14 of the originals. On the whole if you want the collection you need to have them all.

However, the loss of Larry and Patrick and Linda becoming minor characters, plus making Cliff into a ogre-like figure tarnishes TNT series beyond repair for me.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Aspiring writer and factual webmaster
    Ratings:
    +5,860
    I think you should watch the season premiere only, and then go to the midseason cliffhanger, and go on until the series finale. There were minor faults and too much gore in the last episodes, but also great interaction between our favorite characters and some payoff scenes. Funny but then TPTB began to use the McKay characters from the original and even sort of made up a backstory of what had happened to them. Tracey was recast with another actress though, but she was good. Give it a try, especially if you don´t care about the open-ended finale.​

I loved these extremely hot promos!​

• Like Like x 1
  17. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Winner EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +6,199
    To have a continuation of New DALLAS would be all my birthdays and Christmases come at once, but I don't even dare hope that's a possibility. Beyond that, I don't really mind what happens -- if anything. (I tend to be very pessimistic about these things -- I remember being absolutely certain DALLAS would never be released on DVD.)

Gosh, so would I! I can barely remember anything about it -- except they all wore very clompy spacesuits apart from Pam.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Kenny Coyote

Threads:
    Rock Guitarist
    Ratings:
    +2,345
    I guess the last TNT season has a few moments in it that were fun, but overall it's pretty bad. Even Bobby was disappointing and he was one of the few bright spots of the show, but there's a scene where he just caves in to a demand from Elena that was pathetic. Basically she extorted him and instead of reacting like you'd expect Bobby would, he payed her off. When the maid's daughter can successfully extort Bobby Ewing, that's pretty sad. Then of course, Christopher falls in love with her Elena, because what woman could be more irresistible than the one who just extorted your family? It was ridiculous. The most likely reason I can see for any of that is CC was vicariously living through Elena.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator EXP: 15 Years Staff Member

Threads:
    Journalist
    Ratings:
    +9,787
    I think you should watch all of it. Sue Ellen's alcoholism story was dealt with again and gave us some great moments.

Heather and Chris made a nice couple too. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Rove

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    I found this trailer too try-hard. Rather than offer an air of goose-bump material which some trailers can do this one felt limp. But this is just my own opinion.

• Like Like x 1