What was Dallas' fans reaction upon hearing of the TNT show?

Discussion in 'Dallas TNT' started by Michael Torrance, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    I am curious to hear from those who were fans of the original: what did you think of the news that a continuation was in the works? Regardless of how you ended up feeling about it, what was your reaction then?

• Like Like x 3
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,641
    Medals:
    A mixture of scepticism and indifference. I assumed it either wouldn't get made, like DALLAS The Movie, or it would be old and knackered like War of the Ewings. How wrong I was.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ome

Ome Admin

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +16,846
    I was beside myself with excitement. It was almost too good to be true!

The first time I saw this

it was like gold had landed on my lap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then they cancelled it!

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,833
    Medals:
    So excited and also very badly wanting it to be good and worth waiting for.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +7,328
    Medals:
    I was interested and hopeful, but knew how these continuations tend to miss the mark and why. And nuDALLAS basically was screwed up in the those ways.

It could have been worse, I guess.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,144
    Medals:
    No reaction here. I wasn't informed.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,833
    Medals:
    But you were on this forum weren't you? Which surely was buzzing with excitement and reactions when it was announced?

• Like Like x 2
  8. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,267
    The trailer looks to have an exhilarating quality.

Edited to add: but no Cliff. Was he added later, or was it to hide the Pamela connection? (I actually watched the show but don't remember.)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +19,144
    Medals:
    I...I can't remember!
    upload_2019-4-23_3-47-22.png

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Rove

Rove Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,879
    Really excited mixed with a good dose of trepidation after hearing early reports the continuation was to ignore the reunion movies. But then TNT released the first Trailer;

All those fights, over Ewing Oil...and Southfork. We laid waste to everything in our path JR. And for what?

.....I don't want them to be like us.

When I watched that trailer I thought, "Holy crap!" This looks really good. Whoever put that trailer together should be commended because that's how you hook an audience. Amazing dialogue, music which fits every frame.

And my favourite people were back; JR, Bobby and Sue Ellen :hats:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Frank Underwood

Frank Underwood Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +832
    Medals:
    If I'm remembering correctly, I first heard that they were considering bringing the show back in late 2009. So there was approximately two and a half years between the announcement of it and the airing of the pilot episode. I was intrigued by the idea, but I ultimately thought it would end up like the Dallas movie. Ever since War of the Ewings aired, there had been a lot of talk about reviving Dallas in one form or another, but it never materialized. It wasn't until they announced the pilot was being filmed in 2011 that I started becoming excited.

The trailers also perked my interest. By the time the show aired, I was beyond excited to finally see. Unfortunately, it was an uneven show that never fully lived up to its potential

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,270
    Medals:
    Same for me. There had been a lot of false starts but when I realised that it was happening this time I was very excited.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,735
    Medals:
    The news of the new show broke in the fall of 2009. If I remember correctly it was around october. There was this post on the board that Dallas was coming back to TV and I was so sure that it was just an announcement that the show was being rerun on American TV again that I didn't even bother to check out the thread until after I'd talked to a friend on the phone who informed me that Dallas was coming back. :spinning:
    I remember being very pleasantly surprised by the annoucement since I had thought it would never happen. Then I read up on the thread on the board and started waiting for more news of the reboot to break. I remember being very excited about it and eagerly anticipating the comeback. It was such an exciting time to be a Dallas fan and I remember how we got updates as the casting news broke. There was also talk about updating Southfork Ranch and using another house instead but the fans in this community hated the idea so the real Southfork ended up being used. For once it seemed like they were listening to the fans. There was also a lot of talk about who was going to come back for the show. A lot of fans wanted Pam to return.

When it became clear that Bobby had a new wife there were reports that she would be played by Brenda Strong of Desperate Housewives fame or Melissa Gilbert of Little House on the Prairie fame. As we all know Brenda got the role and as someone who had never missed an episode of Desperate Housewives I was excited about that. :)

Then there was also talk about if JR/SE should be back together or not. Most fans wanted to see them back together again. Some from the start and others thought it should take a while and wanted to see their reunion.

When the first trailer came on TV4 in Sweden I remember being at a student apartment with a group of people I was working with. A friend, who I had managed to get hooked on Dallas by having her borrowing all of my DVD boxes, and I did a high five when we first saw it. Dallas was back and it felt great! :)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 1
  14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,266
    Medals:
    I was besides myself with excitement and nerves. I wanted it to go well but for me having Larry and Linda together again was enough. They are my lobsters. :l9:

• Cyber Hug Cyber Hug x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +260
    Medals:
    Very excited. I hoped I would see lots of characters from the original mixed with the new generation. I hoped I would see Pam, Jenna and Donna, Lucas and Margaret, Katherine...

Unfortunately there was no explanation of what had happened to Jenna and Ray's marriage. Ray and Lucy were hardly there. No word about Donna, Lucas and Margaret...

When Victoria Principal said she wouldn't return, I would have accepted a recast. I was curious how the writers would have explained the reason for Pam abandoning Bobby and Christopher. Because it was so unlike Pam! When they decided she had died, but had wanted to return, I was disappointed, but it made the character more 'believable'. I think Cidre did a good thing with this storyline. Bobby's reaction made HIM unbelievable, though. I mean, he had mourned Pam a long time ago, but it should have made a difference if you had been stood up by your wife or the knowledge of her wanting to return to him and her son. I thought he was rather cold when he found out.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,634
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Oh yeah! He sounded as if he had said: "Can´t even remember the face of that beech!" Very nasty.:oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,266
    Medals:
    I've always been able to live without Pam, but I did find Bobby's attitude concerning. I do think that storyline could have been written better - to give Pam's character a bit more respect, if that's the right word.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Via The Void

Via The Void Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,021
    I was absolutely delighted that the show was coming back when it was first announced as I'm a very big fan of the original hit series.

It was great watching it too. Well mostly for the first two seasons. However when news broke about that whole A Ewing Will Die & the way the storylines were going to run in that third series that's when I parted company with it. It just became Dallas in name only & bore little relation to the series which came before it.

Yes it was upsetting to see it cancelled. However I think we were spared a really bad season four if the show had've been given a reprieve. I did dislike the apparent lack of character development in the Cyntax Dallas. It was all plot & no substance. The way Elena & Pamela switched between John Ross & Christopher got laughable. Bobby became a very cold character I thought, uninterested when it was finally discovered that Pamela Barnes Ewing (Victoria Principal) had apparently died years ago. It was so completely out of character from the Bobby we knew from the Lorimar Dallas. And don't get me started on Cliff Barnes. They turned the late Ken Kercheval's character into a complete monster completely unlike the lovable nerd we knew from the old show.

In another way I felt a sense of relief when it was confirmed that it was cancelled. Cynthia Cidre & Mike Robin hadn't a clue as to what made the original Dallas such a hit. There was too many extraneous characters, the Ewings felt like guest stars in their own show. And that whole killing off of Christopher in a car explosion was in very poor taste considering how Victoria Principal departed the show at the close of season ten of the original Dallas.

Who knows what the future holds. I still think the premise of Dallas is still a strong one & perhaps some time in the future, the show could come back once again. As I'm often fond of saying, Dallas may be a dead series but death is not the end. Dallas, To Be Continued...... :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Elizabeth Ewins

Elizabeth Ewins Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I was a fan of the original and it was must viewing. My reaction was excitement and joy. I would finally see JR,Sue Ellen and Bobby again! Seeing them again did not disappoint! I just wish that they were the main charactors instead of secondary charactors.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Peter

Peter Soap Chat Newbie

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +12
    i was like oooh will it work and also a bit exited

• Like Like x 3