What was the last book you read?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Ms Southworth, Aug 2, 2017.

1. kenneth

kenneth Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Another trio of books finished.

The Monogram Murders by Sophie Hannah.
    The Matlock Paper by Robert Ludlum.
    The Lake by Ruby Jean Jensen.

2. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    well the last one i read was called "Killer's Choice' from (1957) by Ed McBain i just love that guy's books. it's the 5th book in his 87th Precinct series any fans on here of him? maybe there are some that have also read his Matthew Hope series as well?

3. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +666
    I just finished a trio of books that I received just yesterday from Amazon:

unafraid1.jpg unafraid2.jpg biggertable1.jpg biggertable2.jpg undiluted1.jpg undiluted2.jpg

4. Emeleez Navidad

Emeleez Navidad Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,100
    I just finished Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl. :( The last entry was tough, knowing what happened next.
    What surprised me about the diary was that she's so very open-minded and tough, revealing some bisexual feelings, talking about genitals and how she was a very modern-thinking feminist. On top of that, a very well-spoken normal teenager who thinks she knows everything and all others are just dumb. She really lets her mother & the other woman in the house have it in her writing!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    30 years of 'Allo 'Allo - The Inside Story Of The Hit TV show by Richard Webber.

Excellent read.

Swami

6. B.J. Ewing

B.J. Ewing Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +182
  7. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    Wish You Were Here by Sheridan Jobbins

Combination memoir, humour, road trip and romance.

8. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    Fallout

The 18th V.I.Warshawski detective novel by Sara Paretsky.

9. Mo Mouse

Mo Mouse Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +893
    I've just finished "Being And Nothingness" by Sartre. I'm quite intelligent so I tend to read books which most people wouldn't understand.

10. Mo Mouse

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +893
    At the moment, I've just started Mr Tickle by Roger Hargreaves. It's about this bloke with really long arms who goes round tickling people all the time.

11. Emeleez Navidad

Emeleez Navidad Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,100
    I'm halfway through Anne of Green Gables. First time I've read it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    It was my mother's favourite book - and the rest of the series, too. She started to read it to me when I was little but I'm not sure if she ever finished. I must get to it sometime.

• Like Like x 1
  13. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Diary of Anne Frank i lent that and a couple others to my ex eons ago you don't know how many years ago. but than we broke up and it really screwed me up and i plump forgot about those books. i wish had thought about asking for those back. having said that i am reading Stephen King's Pet Sematary and i've only 80 pages left in it. Chapter #49 page #294 i have only #80 pages left. this is the 1st time i've ever read this one and i dunno why it took so many years to read it? i have it on paperback and Hardback and the hardback is under my left arm and my paperback under my right he he.

i hadn't noticed it until i started writing this here, anyways, Ellie it seems has the Shine aka a Psychic it seems like and i was waiting to see if anyone was gonna mention it and i was shocked and glad that Rachel noticed it too. the horror hasn 't started yet but it's slowly getting there and funny enough so far i think the film is actually better! i do think that when the remake is done and put out next year something i am really curious on how it'll be done to be honest. i hope they Put Jud's wife Norma in the film since she was left out of the (1989) film. in the book she's not in it that much that's true but she's talked about quite a bit. yes there are stuff in the film that should have been put in but not as much so far as other films that have been made from whatever short story or novel he's done. that's my take on it so far

for those who have read it? and seen the great (1989) film what is your take on it?

14. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    I never lend books. You can always buy another copy but it's not the same as having your original one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    The Prisoner of Zenda
    and
    Rupert of Hentzau
    by Anthony Hope

I've seen both the Ronald Colman and Stewart Granger film versions of Zenda - as well as countless parodies and rip-offs - but I'd never read the book and always wondered what the sequel was about.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. darkshadows38

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +251
    I since Finished Pet Sematary and I enjoyed it and 1stly let me say that the IP address are me, it was changed cause we changed Routers,. it's changed again cause this is a new puter. and I assume that's why it was changed. so it is me, 2ndly i'm reading Sleeping Beauties King's Last book it's and decent so far but than i'm only #116 pages into it thus far

17. Mo Mouse

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +893
    I've just finished The Adventures Of Rupert Bear. It's about this ******* hardcase bear who lives in Nutwood with his mates Raggerty and Edward Trunk. He snorts coke and drinks Jim Beam by the gallon. Anyone who gets in his way gets their ******* face smashed in. Rupert, Rupert The Bear - everyone knows his name. Know what I'm saying ?

18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +666
    dispensingtruth1.jpg dispensingtruth2.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  19. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,772
    I've just finished "Iran Awakening" by Shirin Ebadi who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2003.

It was a truly fascinating read as it offered a point of view that's completely different from my own. I love learning about different cultures and countries around the globe and this offered some insights about life in Iran. I was surprised to learn how good they had it in Iran back when my parents generation were young in the 1960s. It seems like they had more equality then. Unfortunately their society was ruined by the 1979 revolution and the following Iran-Iraq war. :(

The book was an autobiography so it was the story of Shirin's life. So after finishing the book I googled the author to find out what had happened to her after the book ended and I was sad to learn that she had been forced into exile in 2009 since I could tell from reading her book how much she loved her native country and had hoped it would rise above all the corruption again. But it seems like the opposite has happened.

Anyway I can recommend the book to people who wants to learn more about the situation in Iran.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  20. Michael Yule Torrance

Michael Yule Torrance Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,072
    I am re-reading Joan Didion's Slouching Towards Bethlehem. Because somehow I have this crazy hope that if I read her enough times I will start writing like her.