What was the last film you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mel O'Kalikimaka, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Treeviewer

Treeviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)

Updated from the nuclear fears of the the cold war era original to the eco concerns of today. A little heavy handed but well made.

2. Santa Swami

Santa Swami Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    Skyfall.

Swami

3. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Willie O! Tannenbaum drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,838
    [​IMG]

They killed Rodney! You bastards!

• Winner Winner x 2
  4. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,321
    Ha.

Have you seen it before, Willie?

5. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,838
    No, this was the first time. I had read the novels decades ago so I didn't recognize many of the storylines.
    And since I love the tv series so much I wasn't very eager to watch the movie, but now it was on YouTube so there was no excuse not to watch it.

Some random thoughts:

-The class had a president and vice-president, and I thought "how typically American!"

-Michael Rossi has a funny voice, kinda like a puppeteer's puppet.

-Allison was my least favourite character and I found her narration insufferable.

-I had completely forgotten that the novel was a pre-WWII story, and I still had no idea until they mentioned Pearl Harbor.

-the acting is a mixed bag, sometimes good and sometimes wooden and overtly melodramatic, but at least it gets the point across.

-the score is outrageously over the top sometimes, for example: when Lucas chases Selena in the forest (I actually had a jump scare).

-the murder scene was perfectly staged.
    Selena manages to push Lucas away, runs towards the door to grab the log that she would use as a weapon, but just before that she sort of smashes against the wall.
    upload_2018-9-4_13-28-56.png
    Which is perfectly normal, considering the panic and chaos - and yet there was something blooper-ish about it. Funnily enough that made it look even more realistic.

It was an ejoyable movie but it doesn't go very deep, partially due to its limited duration, I suppose.

rating: upload_2018-9-4_13-34-46.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. J. R.'s Piece

J. R.'s Piece Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
  7. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Never Let Go. A Wintle/Parkyn film. Starring Richard Todd, Peter Sellers (as a delightfully violent car racketeer, whose business falls apart when Adam Faith nicks Richard Todd’s Ford Anglia for him), Elizabeth Sellars, Adam Faith, Carol White, Mervyn Johns, Noel Willman, David Lodge, Peter Jones, John Bailey, Nigel Stock, John Le Mesurier, David Gregory, Cyril Shaps, Jan Holden, James Bree and Roberta Tovey. Music by John Barry.

The One That Got Away. Produced by Julian Wintle. With Hardy Kruger, Michael Goodliffe, Colin Gordon, Terence Alexander, Frederick Jaeger, Jack Gwillim, Robert Cawdron, Andrew Faulds MP. Hardy Kruger as Von Werra, who makes daring escape attempts and gets back to Germany...after which he soon died within months.

All About Eve

The Ghost Ship. Starring Dermot Walsh and Hazel Court

The Way to the Stars

Park Plaza 605. With Tom Conway, Eva Bartok, Sidney James, Richard Wattis, Anton Diffring, Edwin Richfield and Terence Alexander

Payroll. Starring Michael Craig

The music from Never Let Go keeps lingering in my mind
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PZJROc5af68

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  8. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004)

A sort of homage to the "pulp" adventure of the 30s and 40s but with modern CGI and effects.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,838
    The first 30 minutes of PSYCHO II

What a stupid and boring movie.

10. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Mine Own Executioner. Starring Burgess Meredith, Dulcie Gray, Kieron Moore, Barbara White and John Laurie

Night Caller From Outer Space. Starring John Saxon, Maurice Denham, Patricia Haines, Alfred Burke and Warren Mitchell.

The Trollenberg Terror. Starring Forrest Tucker, Laurence Payne, Jennifer Jayne, Janet Munro and Warren Mitchell

The Beauty Jungle. Starring Ian Hendry, Janette Scott, Edmund Purdom and Sidney James. Oh, Edmund Purdom! I remember him!

11. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Lucky Jim

Rogue’s Yarn. Starring Nicole Maurey, Derek Bond. Derek Bond bumps off his wife with the help of his radio-controlled boat

The Black Rider. Starring Jimmy Hanley, Rona Anderson, Leslie Dwyer, Lionel Jeffries, Vincent Ball, Valerie Hanson, Kenneth Connor, Robert Rietty, Edwin Richfield and Peter Swanwick.

What a Whopper. Starring Adam Faith, Sidney James, Carole Lesley. Co-starring Terence Longdon, Clive Dunn, Freddie Frinton. Introducing Marie France. Guest stars Charles Hawtrey and Spike Milligan. With Wilfred Brambell, Fabiani Drake, Harold Berens, Ewan Roberts, Archie Duncan and Terry Scott. And Anna Gilcrist, Gordon Rollins, Bernard Hunter, Lloyd Reckord, Lance Percival, Molly Weir and Fife Robertson. Screenplay by Terry Nation, based on an idea by Trevor Peacock and Jeremy Lloyd. Music by Laurie Johnson. Adam Faith’s songs arranged by John Barry.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  12. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    Ex Machina

One of a slew of films of recent years about a man who falls in love with a computer or robot or doll. It's its own sub-genre now.

13. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    Your money or your wife. Starring Donald Sinden, Peggy Cummins, Richard Wattis, Peter Reynolds and Georgina Cookson.

The captains table. Starring John Gregson, Peggy Cummins, Donald Sinden, Richard Wattis, Nadia Gray, Maurice Denham, Joan Sims, James Hayter, Miles Malleson. Reginald Beckwith, John Le Mesurier, Bill Kerr

The Fast Lady. Starring James Robertson Justice, Leslie Phillips, Stanley Baxter, Kathleen Harrison, Julie Christie, Eric Barker, Frankie Howerd, Raymond Baxter, Esma cannon, Terence Alexander, Clive Dunn, Dick Emery, Deryck Guyler, Gerald Campion, Allan Cuthbertson, Harold Goodwin, Toke Townley, Bill Fraser, ‘Monsewer’ Eddie Gray, Fred Emney, Bernard Cribbins, Michael Balfour and Martin Miller. A Julian Wintle/Leslie Parkyn production. Directed by Ken Annakin

VeryImportant Person. Starring James Robertson Justice, Leslie Phillips, Stanley Baxter. With Eric Sykes, Richard Wattis, Godfrey Winn. With Colin Gordon, John Le Zmesurier, Norman Bird, Ronnie Stevens, Jeremy Lloyd, Ronald Leigh-Hunt and Steve Plytas. A Julian Wintle/Leslie Parkyn production. Directed by Ken Annakin

The Vicious circle. Starring John Mills, Derek Farr, Noelle Middleton, Wilfrid Hyde-White, Roland Culver, Mervyn Johns, Lionel Jeffries, Lisa Daniely. Produced by Peter Rogers. Directed by Gerald Thomas

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  14. Willie O! Tannenbaum

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +15,838
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. J. R.'s Piece

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,078
    I Am A Camera. With Julie Harris, Laurence Harvey, Shelley Winters, Ron Randell, Anton Diffring, Patrick McGoohan and Tuttle Lemkow.

Fort Algiers. 1953. With Yvonne De Carlo, Carlos Thompson, Raymond Burr

The Rake’s Progress. 1945. With Rex Harrison, Jean Kent, Griffith Jones, Alan Wheatley, Joan Hickson and Lilli Palmer Mrs Rex Harrison and Mrs Carlos Thompson)

Ambush in Leopard Street. 1962. James Kenney. Michael Brennan, Jean Harvey, Norman Rodway and Bruce Seton (soon to leave acting and become the 11th Seton baronet, upon death of his brother).

16. Treeviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,798
    I saw that on TV a while back. It's easy to imagine it almost as the story of young Lilimae.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas

Miss Piggy and Toni's Very Glamorous Christmas Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,582
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Last night I watched "The Family", an irresistible black comedy starring Michelle Pfeiffer, Robert de Niro and "Glee"´s Dianna Agron. It sort of spoofs the mob subgenre in a quite unsubtle, funny way that may appeal all viewers no matter if you like this subgenre.

Thank God it has nothing to do with "Meet the Fockers"...And you know what? In one of the scenes, Pfeiffer appears watching the "Which slut are you staying at?" scene from the "A House Divided" episode of "Dallas". I loved the surprise, no need to say, though it wasn´t clear if she was playing a DVD or catching a re-run from an Italian channel!

As usual, the trailer features one spoiler after another...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Emeleez Navidad

Emeleez Navidad Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,100
    Billy Elliot - for the 4th time. Life as a teacher means having to see the same few films again and again because you don't have time to make preparation material for new films. :lol:

19. The holiday Whore

The holiday Whore Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,748
    SUPERGIRL (1984)
    It features a fake Mommie Dearest and a real one. Faye Dunaway as the witch Selina and then Mia Farrow as Supergirl's mother.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Mel O'Kalikimaka

Mel O'Kalikimaka Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,321
    Oh - I have such a soft spot for Supergirl. Mostly based on nostalgia, but I've grown to appreciate it in a whole different way. In fact I saw it in the cinema again a few years ago as part of a series of bad films. It got so many laughs for all the wrong reasons.

There's so much to love: Dunaway and O'Toole chewing up the scenery; Brenda Vaccaro quipping away like a sci fi version of Laura Avery; film Doris-from-Fame with her poster of Chris Reeves's bulge; and Cecil Colby's son in various states of undress (an early crush for my young self several decades ago :oops:).

[​IMG]

:giggle:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1