What was the last film you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,455
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

Charming and beautiful, one interesting twist and one terribly awkward bad CGI moment.
    It's very difficult for these kind of predictable stories to become outstanding or extraordinary, and just like in every other fantasy movie the magical creatures are the spitting image of the human stereotypes.
    The movie does what it has to do but offers little else, it's excessively sugared popcorn for the brains. Which is nice, but it also undermines the opportunity to create a "Wow!" moment and there's nothing for the viewer to discover.

My favourite characters were the kids and the evil foster mother, and also the prominent Shaw family (I could already smell the first soap bubbles).
    And Pickett, he was the smallest but most interesting creature.

I've also noticed that witches have nothing to do, they don't write or type, they don't cook or set the table. Absolutely nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,378
    Medals:
    Friend Request
    I love this movie

3. Jessie

Jessie Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,378
    Medals:
    The Mirror Has Two Faces

• Like Like x 1
  4. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Medals:
    Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

5. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,822
    Medals:
    Yesterday I watched Die Trapp-Familie (1952) which is the German film that the Sound of Music was based on. It was an interesting watch not least because of the many similarities with the Sound of Music (1965) including some scenes which were almost identical.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
  6. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,455
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

I think it's a non-musical movie based on the ABBA album.
    This movie was released the same year that all ABBA members made a public appearance again (plus the announcement of their future(istic) hologram project).

[​IMG]
    OK, I get it.

7. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Medals:
    Just watched this on the iPlayer. Started off thinking, yeah it's good, but the flashbacks are a bit too explainy and convenient, and of course the plotting is somewhat inevitable, but gradually it all came together and by the end, any reservations had melted away and I was a blubbering mess.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,830
    Medals:
    Crocodile Dundee II.

Swami

9. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,830
    Medals:
    Spectre.

Swami

10. Karin Schill

Karin Schill Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    I watched "La La Land" (2016) last night and I must say that I was disappointed as I had expected more from this academy award winning musical! :(

I think the plot was thin, the actors dancing and singing left something to be desired and even their chemistry left me cold. At the end when they look at each other I am supposed to feel something but I feel nothing. So this is not a memorable film IMHO and I doubt it will become a classic that people will still want to watch 40 years from now.

Actually I think that is a huge part of the problem. See I am used to watching classical movies from the 1940s to 1970s and back then musicals was musicals with a big M. So if you compare the actors of this new movie to the classic stars of yesteryears they can't hold a candle to them. Compared to stars like Julie Andrews, (I watched the original Mary Poppins the night before), Howard Keel and Doris Day the leads can't sing...

and compared to stars like Fred Astaire, Marge and Gower Champion they can't dance either!

Usually when I watch classical musicals I am in awe of the stars talent. When I watched La La Land I sighed and thought to myself that even I could sing better than the female lead and that is not a good thing! :fp:

I guess a part of the problem is that after "Moulin Rougue!" when Nicole Kidman made such a success out of singing herself people in Hollywood thinks that anyone can sing. So they no longer hire singers who can act for musical roles but rather actresses who can't sing. There are exceptions of course as I do think Amanda Seyfried is wonderful in the Mamma Mia! Movies. She can sing. So I guess the next time I will be watching a modern musical movie it's likely to be "A Star is born" (2018) since at least I know that Lady Gaga can sing! ;)

So how could "La La Land" win 6 Academy awards? :confuse:
    My guess is that either the bar has been lowered so much by modern films that we no longer expect greatness and then we applaud any attempt at a classical approach, or maybe it's just because the people who vote for the Academy awards are all part of the club. They have all arrived in La La Land at one point or another and struggled before they became stars and probably had a love that helped them along the way. So it's a story that most people in Hollywood can identify with and feel nostalgic about.

But to me, someone from the outside, I can't help but wonder how come great actors in the past like Richard Burton could never win an academy award while someone like Emma Stone wins it for this role! It is a mystery to me. :eyes:

I mean I have seen plenty of actor and actresses in our favorite soap operas who are IMHO more talented than her and yet they've never won an academy award and most likely never will. :(

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Champion

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,937
    Medals:
    Mama Mia 2. I loved it, and it's a pretty accurate representation of what it's like inside my head most days. My life is mostly an ABBA musical. Only the rest of the world don't have the volume up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,830
    Medals:
    Brannigan.

Swami

13. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,561
    Medals:
    91tXEgM4EvL._RI_.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Medals:
    Evil under the sun is a great film. but i watched a really bad one, but i've seen far far worse. it was called The Student Nurses and old Corman film from (1970)

and i was telling a friend how i don't get how a bad film as that one is was a huge hit back than? he goes did it have nudity? i said some and he goes there ya go. he sadly may be right but just cause a film as any nudity does not qualify it to be any good.

15. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    Okay so I re-watched "Mamma Mia 2" (2018) tonight. I actually liked it better than the first time I saw it. There are some sad parts but at least this time it didn't make me cry, as it did when I watched it at the cinema this fall.

16. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,132
    I watched "The Post" on the flight back to the US this Christmas break. Meryl Streep has taken her ease of stepping into a role to ridiculous levels over the decades.

[​IMG]

17. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Star

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,313
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

A brilliant sequel, but much more than "just" a sequel. It's a very satisfying, viciously funny, deeply touching film about regret, ageing and male friendship. And just like the first Trainspotting, it's also a really pleasurable slice of cinema.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +18,455
    Medals:
    [​IMG]

Batman becomes Birdman.
    Hm-hm, what shall I say? Apart from Lindsay Duncan's role ("I'm going to destroy you") the characters failed to enthrall me.
    It's not a bad movie, but I think it was too hysterical and also a little stereotypical.
    The Broadway play that plays inside the movie didn't look very good. Pretentious and hysterical at the same time.
    Is it one of those clever "mirror" things? Does the movie mirror the Broadway play, and were they both massively overrated? Is that the irony?

Maybe I would appreciate it a little bit more if they hadn't tried so hard to give the movie an "indie" look, it feels so...cultivated.
    But in a different genre, say, a trashy Harold Robbins story, this could have been awesome.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,342
    Medals:
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    I watched last week the sequel to "Mary Poppins", "MP Returns" (not "Melrose Place"...) and I loved it. It´s really as if it had been done 3 or 4 years after the first one, with another actress replacing Julie Andrews. Emily Blunt has not the same vocal range than Andrews but aside from that, she is "practically perfect in every way", and the animated scenes are especially remarkable, not only because of the technical achievement but also because it reminds people the way animation looks when it´s done in the classical 2-D way. Nothing to do with the Pixar creepy characters luckily. But above all, I must say that the script is good, or at least as good as was "The Force Awakens" compared to the "Star Wars" original trilogy. It´s not easy to capture the essence of films from 3 or 4 decades ago, and they did it wonderfully in both cases. I hope the new Mary Poppins doesn´t become a never-ending franchise more and more centered in making money like some others out there.

PS: Do you know what scene I found completely expendable? The one with Meryl Streep, honestly...and not because she looks uglier than ugly!!:eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  20. Karin Schill

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,537
    Medals:
    The Time of Their Lives (2017) with Joan Collins. :)

I was delighted to see her in a new movie that had actually been showed at the cinema. The role of Helen really fits her. Although Joan is far from a has been like the character she portrays and in much better shape, as Helen can barely walk without a cane. She does look significantly older in this movie than we are used to seeing her and I think she's supposed to look old. So it's brave of her to take on such a character.

But yeah without spoiling too much of the plot I can say that at the heart of the movie it's a story about an unlikely friendship between two older women who go out on an adventure together. As the journey progresses they learn to take a good look at their lives and how their past experiences has shaped them into the ladies we meet in the film.

• Thanks Thanks x 1