What was the last film you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    [​IMG]

I liked the adulterers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    Manchester by the Sea (2016)

[​IMG]

Oh man, I loved this. The basic premise is the plot of any number of gooey TV movies but told in a very low-key, naturalistic way where it's all about tiny details and nuances of behaviour that constantly surprise you, rather than any big emotional grandstanding. All of the pain and the humour (and it's a lot funnier than I was expecting) arise out of the characters' unwillingness and/or inability to say what they're really feeling and thinking (which, having recently sat through Ghost: The Musical, where nobody does anything but talk -- and sing -- about exactly what they're feeling for hours, comes as a huge relief). The publicity leads you to expect to see more of Jen from Dawson' s Creek than you do, but the performances of Casey Affleck and the kid playing his nephew more than compensate. One to remember.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,018
    This was a pretty damn good slick sci-fi flick. Really enjoyed it. Didn't hurt that guy in it is absolutely gorgeous.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Hero

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +5,507
    Spectre.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  5. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    Carol (2015)

[​IMG]

Based on one of the few Patricia Highsmith novels I didn't read when I went on a Highsmith binge back in the day. Most of her books are psychological thrillers, often told from the point of view of the killer (a fair few have been turned into films, most famously Strangers on a Train and The Talented Mr Ripley) and they have a compelling coldness about them. This movie has the same kind of atmosphere, even though it's actually a love story between two women, one of whom is married with a kid, back in the '50s when such a thing was thinkable.

It's directed by Todd Haynes and has a similar cinematic sumptuousness to Far From Heaven, his homage to the Douglas Sirk melodramas of the 40s and 50s. This story feels like a melodrama too, but with all the emotions suppressed by the societal demands of the time. Even though it's set the decade before, you could imagine any of the characters showing up in Mad Men -- they share that same chicly-glamorous-yet-emotionally-confused vibe.

In the title role, Cate Blanchett is like the missing link between Marlene Deitrich and Gena Rowlands -- chilly and remote but ultimately sympathetic. In a parallel world, you could imagine someone like Joan Crawford or Barbara Stanwyck playing the part in black and white.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,992
    The Peanuts Movie (2015)

This is basically Peanuts's greatest hits. There's not much here that we haven't seen before but the pieces are put together quite nicely.

I've read some criticism of the 3D animation but I didn't mind the "action figures come to life" effect. It's similar to what they've used for Thunderbird's Are Go! I liked that they included some of the early characters like Violet, Patty and Shermy who sometimes get short shrift and the cute idea that Patty has a secret crush on Pigpen.

There's some contradiction of things that have been established in the TV specials but as reboots go this is a good one.

7. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,705
    [​IMG]

Not the ideal choice for someone who has a low tolerance threshold for musicals and Hugh Jackman. But I can say I've ticked that box.​

• Like Like x 2
  8. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,992
    I find it interesting that they appear to have constructed an entirely new show rather that make a film version of the Barnum musical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,705
    Yes indeed. From what I understand, Barnum! is a much more accurate representation of the life of the man himself. Not that accuracy is everything, but it's certainly something.

TGS is basically Glee with a bigger budget. Lots of emoting and contemporary pop songs about empowerment and inclusiveness. It's very well intentioned, I think, and I can understand why it's so popular. There was a time when I'd have loved it. Frankly, though, I'd rather see Jim Dale on a unicycle.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,491
    Yesterday I watched The Favourite (2018). It was ok but a bit disappointing considering hope its been lavished with critical acclaim and awards. It is however m0derately entertaining.

The film is bit like a chick flick lesbian romcom masquerading as a period drama. I don't think I heard the word "c*nt" used as often as it was used in this film but I guess nothing is shocking these days. Olivia Coleman plays Queen Anne like the Queen of Hearts from Alice In Wonderland but maybe that's a correct interpretation of the role. The film is beautifully shot, the settings are stunning and the 3 female leads are very strong with Rachel Weiss in particular delivering a really great performance.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Seaviewer

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,992
    Spice World.

The Spice Girls' 1997 epic obviously heavily influenced by the Beatles' films - which is somewhat ironic given the Girl Power theme throughout.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
    Bird Box

Poor Sandra, disaster follows her wherever she goes. On the bus, in space, in the woods.
    This was a nice horror/tear-jerker movie.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,491
    I have a different opinion. I've watched Bohemian Rhapsody a few days ago and really liked it. It did come across as a sanitised version of Freddie Mercury's life rather than an historically accurate portrayal of who he was but once you put that aside there is so much more to enjoy in this film. The best thing in the film was the outstanding performance of Remi Malik who is so good in the role that you could almost momentarily forget that it is dramatic performance and think it's a documentary. Thank goodness that Sacha Baron Cohen dropped out of playing the role of Freddie Mercury because I can't imagine he would be anywhere near as good.

[​IMG]

15. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    I watched Halloween (2017) and The House with a Clock in its Walls. Both fantastic. :)

16. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,018
    Terence Stamp is equal parts beautiful and creepy as the stalker who locks the object of his affection away in his cellar in the hopes that she will fall in love with him. Great stuff.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  17. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (2018)

[​IMG]

An anthology movie made up of a handful of short stories, all set in the Wild West. If there's a common theme, it's the expendability of human life. It's a Coen brothers film so there's lots of dry humour juxtaposed with lots of extreme violence, with one really tender story right in the middle. And it looks beautiful. As is often the case with anthology films, some parts work better than others, but ultimately it's very satisfying watch.

Interesting. Those do seem to be the two prevailing opinions about that film.

That looks great!

I saw the stage version of this last week starring Ronnie Mitchell off of EastEnders. She's perfect casting, really excellent. It looks really good on stage as well, but ultimately that can't disguise the thinness of the overall story. Maybe it just works best as a book.

Ha, I just saw this! I worked with Steve Guttenberg a few months ago on an episode of a CBBC series -- very random! He was very nice, in a "professionally very nice" sort of way.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Richard Channing

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,018
    It is. And it's on Netflix in their 'Classics' section.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. James from London

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    And in the UK too! :clap:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mel O'Drama

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,705
    Proving that all questions are answered on SoapChat if you're patient enough.

I'll say. But very cool indeed.

• Like Like x 1