1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was the last film you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Star EXP: 6 Years

Threads:
    Entrepreneur
    Ratings:
    +7,959
    I thought it was time I finally got round to watching the infamous 'so bad it's good' train wreck that is Showgirls. And it pretty much lived up to my expectations, so bad, but consequently highly entertaining. Elizabeth Berkley's performance is.....quite something....From her frantic 'sexy' dancing to her reactions to events which always seem like they were from a different scene. This made her rather enigmatic as I rarely had a clue how she felt about situations or the people in them, except when she became overactingly furious. Rarely has an actress taken already really bad dialogue and made it even worse with such fervor. The movie is unashamedly sleazy, gaudy and tawdry, but you just can't look away.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator EXP: 17 Years

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,129
    [​IMG]

Epic drama.

3. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator EXP: 21 Years Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Threads:
    Actress
    Ratings:
    +6,060
    I watched 'I Feel Pretty'. It was really good - do recommend it.

[​IMG]

4. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme EXP: 13 Years

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,547
    Carry On Don't Lose Your Head.

Swami

• Like Like x 1
  5. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,777
    "Put it in the basket. I'll read it later."

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Enthusiast EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Instigator
    Ratings:
    +3,912
    It was overall very mediocre. Also, I can't accept Adam Devine as a romantic lead, even for Rebel Wilson...
    Somehow I enjoyed Marcia Cross though.

7. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,129
    I wonder if it's possible to successfully spoof the spoof-genre.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,547
    Carry On Doctor.

Swami

9. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,129
  10. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,547
    Carry On Again Doctor.

Swami

11. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan EXP: 2 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +741
  12. Swami

Threads:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,547
    Carry On Camping.

Swami

13. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior EXP: 12 Years

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,192
    The other night I watched THE BEGUILED from 1971 with Clint Eastwood and Geraldine Page. I had been meaning to see it for a long while. I absolutely loved it. It's a slow dreamy/nightmarish southern gothic tale. Set around the Civil War in a creaky old plantation house. Clint plays a Yankee soldier who finds himself at a seminary for young girls being nursed back to health before he can be turned over to the Confederate soldiers for imprisonment. While recuperating he flirts with and manipulates the girls and their teacher. It all becomes a bit of a pot boiler and ends horribly for Clint.
    The film is dreamy and ethereal in parts and then nightmarish in others. There is a subplot with a vague story of an incestuous relationship between the head teacher played by Geraldine Page and her brother who is missing, presumed dead. It's not stated in the film but I got the idea that Page had murdered him and buried him on the property. She seems to equally yearn for him, and be disgusted at the thought of him. This plot line seems to add to the tension in the film. All the women in the house become beguiled by this young handsome soldier. All that repressed sexual tension bubbling over into other things. It's a wonderful film.

After watching I decided to watch the remake from last year starring Nicole Kidman and Colin Farrell in Page and Eastwood's roles respectively. This remake was directed by Sophia Coppola and just seems so utterly unnecessary. On the one hand it seems in parts to be a simple copy and paste remake. On the other hand, it leaves out all the more interesting bits of the original. The incest subplot is completely dropped. The black slave girl from the original doesn't exist in the remake. In the original, Clint and her scenes are the ones in which we learn more about who he is. The slave girl also shows a stronger female role and the film looses something in loosing her. The remake also completely does away with the flirtation of the Yankee soldier with a 12 year old girl. In the original he kisses her on the mouth and the girl becomes innocently infatuated with him.

The remake isn't terrible. It's just not as good. I like Kidman a lot as an actress and she does a great job in her scenes. I just felt that the remake was weaker and was trying in a way to tell the story from a strong female view point. Which isn't really what the story is.

It's interesting that when the original was released the studio didn't know how to sell it, and so it was a flop. They had a film where Clint Eastwood wasn't the winner or the hero. And he's in this film with all these women. There's no real action, it's not really what his fans wanted. So they sort of sold it as a sexy thriller horror, which it is more than.
    I would say that the remake had some of the same problems as far as selling it. It was presented in the trailers as much more of a gothic horror than it really is.

The original is a beautiful film in every way. See it if you can, the remake is only ok.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,129
    This looks like something I would enjoy. The trailer starts with a bitch slap!

15. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,192
    I also just realised that the trailer for The Beguiled remake basically shows the entire plot of the film in 2 minutes. You don't need to even see the remake if you have seen the trailer.

16. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,192
    See the original first. Then watch the trailer of the remake. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,129
    This seems to be a new trend, I think? Velvet Buzzsaw was also the whole movie in a trailer, and even those few minutes were awful.
    I knew I shouldn't watch it but I did it anway. Sometimes I really hate myself.

• Like Like x 1
  18. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Mega Star EXP: 18 Years

Threads:
    Actor
    Ratings:
    +5,777
    Interesting, thanks. I haven't seen either film but I recently listened to a podcast review of the second Beguiled where the reviewer also much prefers the first version, which he refers to as "the Segal version".

(To be tediously annoyingly pedantic, the second version isn't strictly speaking a remake of the first; rather, they're both adaptations of the original novel.)

The review wangs on a bit, but if you can be bothered, about four minutes in, he starts comparing the second version with the first:

19. Alexis

Threads:
    Ratings:
    +9,192
    Yea I was aware that both are adaptations of the novel, originally titled The Painted Devil. Coppola's version just isn't as good. On reading up on her version my suspicions were proven right. She had wanted to make a more female empowered version. Which to me seems ridiculous as in the novel and the Segal version the women basically have the power in the end. That's the film. The Yankee is beguiled by the women and the women at the same time beguiled by him. The Segal film does better at showing both views though. I just listened to that review and pretty much agree with Kermode. It makes no sense to remove Halle the slave girl from the story. He, and I, both pointed out that she was a strong character, a strong female character and one that opened up the story a lot. She had some of the best lines in the Segal film and Coppola's film feels a bit empty with her not there. Coppola mentioned she didn't want to include her because she wasn't a strong representation of women or a good role model for young women, or words to that effect which I feel is a bit stupid. As if a slave couldn't be wise and strong? The very fact of her being a slave makes her invalid as a strong female? It didn't suit her 2017 view of feminism therefor it didn't happen.

It's funny that in wanting to make a more female empowered adaptation she had to cut out probably the strongest female in the source material.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Willie Oleson

Threads:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +22,129
    [​IMG]

An original concept that works well for short sketches, but it's too bizarre to support a whole movie.
    They can't choose between playing it straight and juvenile/oversexed comedy.
    There's also a bit of drama lurking in the background that was ready to become a dark comedy.

I'm truly puzzled.