What was the last film you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Active Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Puzzle of a Downfall Child (1970) - Much better than expected, since '70's films tend to be the weirdest in the history of Hollywood. Faye Dunaway's performance is one of her best and she looks extraordinarily beautiful in every scene.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,900
    That's what I like about them! I've not heard of this film. It looks interesting - thanks!

3. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,621
    Co-starring Adriana!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Toni

Toni Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    September 12, 2001 (poster formerly known as Pam's Twin Sister)
    Tonight I had a double feature show at home: Two movies from last year that earned big reviews, and even some awards. I´m totally disappointed with them. One is "Hereditary", another proof of how clueless Toni Collette is for picking up good scripts. It´s more a disgusting experience than a horror flick or human drama. And the cast is great, including Ann Dowd and Gabriel Byrne. What went wrong?

[​IMG]

Oh Toni Toni...When are you going to do "Muriel´s Wedding II"?
    (It couldn´t be worse than this or "Mamma Mia II"!)​

The other one still is more disappointing at least to me. I´m talking about the gay favorite of 2018 "Call By Your Name". It should better be titled "Call Me Bi". I only liked the Italy scenery. Both leads are pathetically unexpressive and their characters are even more pathetic and undefined, and the writing is as outdated as Miss Piggy´s fake eyelashes. I didn´t expect this from such a talented writer as James Ivory but hey, I think the director here is the one to blame.

I didn´t buy the love story and most characters seem to be stupid in one or other way, which makes the film itself rather stupid too. I hope somebody here could enjoy these two movies but I didn´t. Heck, I even liked more "Annabelle Creation", watched last night, and that is saying something...!

[​IMG]

5. Richard Channing

Richard Channing Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +6,018
    I remember seeing this as a young boy and thinking it was fantastic! Your review has me tempted to watch it again.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Michael Torrance

Michael Torrance Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +2,558
    Funny, I had the exact same reaction when I first saw the movie. I have read the novel, and Andre Aciman's writing is astounding. When I first watched the movie, I was thinking it wasn't even apparent they were falling in love.
    Then I watched it a second time on the plane, and I actually came to appreciate it as a period piece of early 80s (it reminded me so much of my 80s teenage years, down to the italo-disco) and on its own terms, separate from the novel. Now, the novel is a masterpiece and the movie is above average (there are also some terrible edits) so there is still no comparison.

7. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +6,621
    Yes, I've swooned on about the original THE BEGUILED before (before the old soapchat died). It's a terrific movie, and one which could only have been made in the early-'70s, in terms of atmosphere.

It's my favorite Eastwood film, to be sure.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat TV Fanatic

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +1,992
    This was on TV last night. I'd heard a lot about it and am glad I watched. It lives up to the hype.
    I was a little confused about exactly what year it was. Eisenhower is called "president-elect" which makes it late 1952 or early '53 but then they seem to be celebrating New Year's Eve 1951 with one character calling out "come on 1952!"
    I thought of Lauren Bacall.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    I don´t know if I´ll ever find time to re-watch the movie but it certainly has let me down. I was a teenager too in the early 80´s (and I was in Italy too, look what!), and I didn´t notice there was an interest to reflect that era aside from the oh-so intellectual conversations. Arnie Hammer doesn´t seem to have a clue on how to play the role (he made me think of John James even physically, go figure!), and anyway the character is pretentious, manipulative and self-absorbed, and I didn´t care a bit about Chamalant´s because he was going after him despite his many faults. The hype was undeserved, that´s for sure. And don´t get me started about the peach scene...:re:

10. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    "Carol" is the exact opposite of what "Call Me By Your Name" turns out to be: the story is a character study, not a pamphlet of "gay love rules" (which I agree with basically, if well done). We get to know both women as well as the times they live at, and the production design is astounding, despite not shouting "look at how big our budget is". I agree with JoL with his definition of Cate Blanchett´s role. She belongs to her own league and there are a lot of great Australian actresses out there.

You can see her in this, then in "Hanna" and let´s say, in "Blue Jasmine", and she is three different people. I also think that the characters become more and more engaging as they give in on their mutual feelings, and the resolution rings true. Oh and yeah, they could perfectly belong to "Mad Men"...or "Masters of Sex", for that matter.

There is a hilarious spoof of the movie on YouTube, played by Kate McKinnon, Wanda Sykes, Kumail Nanjiani & Jane Lynch, for the 2016 Film Independent spirit Awards Gala! Don´t miss it!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Superstar

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +7,386
    I went to see this on a date with a guy I was seeing for a while. It was our second date and I insisted we see it because the trailers looked really good. It seemed like a throw back to tense horrors from the 1960s and 70s. It was one of the worst films I have ever seen. Part achingly slow and boring and part utterly ridiculous. People in the cinema actually laughed out loud at the ending which I am sure was not the intention of anyone involved with the film's making. It was a real stinker, I think I posted about it on this forum after I had saw it.

It was trying very hard to be a bit Rosemary's Baby too. That film to me is a masterpiece in horror. This film is a steaming turd. There were also massive plot holes in the film too if I recall correctly. Like why wasn't the son arrested and charged with manslaughter and reckless driving when the daughter was killed, beheaded!

Terrible, terrible film! Avoid it all costs, you will never get that time back.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    I watched it in English with subtitles so at least it was useful for that...But really, "Annabelle: Creation" at least was fun every time they showed the doll!!

13. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson drilling for soap

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +17,222
  14. Sarah

Sarah Super Moderator Staff Member Original Member Since 1998

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,166
    Captain Philips :)

15. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,490
    If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)

This is a beautifully crafted and acted film telling the love story of the 2 lead characters and how racism impacted on their relationship. Although a good film, I wasn't blown away by it and I felt the racial element of the film was handled a bit too heavy-handedly.

[​IMG]

16. Toni

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +4,033
    Finally I watched a movie I can recommend you though it´s not for the squeamish...So if you disliked profoundly such films as "Nocturnal Animals", "The Girl on the Train", "Sharp Objects", or "Gone Girl", just stop reading or, if you are slightly masochistic, go on...Here is the trailer (I chose the version which exposed the plot the least).

"Dark Places" is a 2015 movie starring Charlize Theron in another of her so-frequent roles of damaged woman who doesn´t care if she looks ugly. The big problem here is that a makeup-less, tomboy-ish Charlize STILL is a very be beautiful woman...

[​IMG]

This is no "Monster II: The Return" (lucky us!)​

The story has been adapted from the novel by the same author who wrote "Gone Girl" and "Sharp Objects", and, undoubtedly, the characters of all these movies belong to the same universe, though are separated by a lot of differences. Traumatized people, fractured families, unfit characters and tragedies that aren´t what they seem to be. Luckily, the script and direction here are much better than the one for "GG", which was too hilariously bad to be taken seriously.

[​IMG]

The casting is great. Curiously enough, it depended on luck, because Amy Adams had to quit because a previous commitment, and was replaced by Theron. Then it was Samantha Morton who left and wonderful Christina Hendricks stepped in (when she initially was going to play a one-scene role, much more in her "Mad Men"-vibe...) and did a great job against all odds. She plays Charlize´s mum in flashbacks, which is not a spoiler but a little help for you to get into the plot more easily than moi. At first I didn´t realize this was key to understand everything (or was I briefly sleeping already?).

The rest of the cast is up to these two superb ladies. Of course, Charlize has done sooo many roles like this one that it gets a bit boring at first. Other outstanding actors are Corey Stoll ("House of Cards", "The Strain"), Tye Sheridan and Nicholas Hoult (both from the new "X-Men" franchise), Sterling Jerins ("The Conjuring" and the series "Divorce"), Andrea Roth ("13 Reasons Why"), Chloë Grace Moretz ("The 5th Wave" and that much-maligned "Carrie" remake), and Drea de Matteo ("Desperate Housewives"), among others. My personal favorite is Stoll, who steals the movie with only a few scenes.

[​IMG]

Incredibly sexy,
    amazingly talented​

The story is gritty, unpleasant, and at some point, it even seems to take a satanic turn. But when it ends, it makes you believe that something like that might have happened in a Kansas rural area, and it´s not based on true facts, thanks God, and, especially, that in every hopeless case there might be a ray of hope too.

My only problem with it is what I commented above: I can´t actually distinguish immediately they are narrating the events in two timelines, present and past. I can´t either see any effort to make the eras recognizable, but after all, this may be a virtue because it avoids the non-ending sense of being tuned in to a Top 50 nostalgic channel. I hope you enjoy this movie if you take a look at it. It´s moving, surprisingly recognizable to anyone who has a dysfunctional family, and ultimately satisfying. Acting is top-notch.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Angela Channing

Angela Channing Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +8,490
    Mary Poppins Returns. It was an ok film but a disappointing remake. All the ingredients were there to make a great film and in some ways it's almost a remake rather than a sequel and doesn't quite pull it off successfully. Although all the songs and scenes are original, so much of it was clearly inspired by the 1964 film. So for example, there is a song where the chimney sweeps dance energetically (like Step in Time), there's a scene in which Meryl Steep plays an eccentric relative of Mary's (not unlike her Uncle who had tea on the ceiling) and instead of jumping into a chalk drawing they jump into the pattern on a bowl and engage with cartoon characters (not unlike Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious).

I thought Emily tried a bit too hard to be practically perfect in every way and came across slightly unnatural or even fake. It made me appreciate just how good Julie Andrews was in the original. However, the main failure of the film was that the songs were all instantly unforgettable. Maybe it a film that young children will enjoy more.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ollie james

Ollie james Soap Chat Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Love Simon found it kinda cute and uplifting well worth a watch

• Like Like x 1
  19. James from London

James from London Soap Chat Enthusiast

Message Count: