What was the last film you watched?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mel O'Drama, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Willie Oleson

Willie Oleson SoapLand Battles Moderator

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,694
    Medals:
    I think every soap opera becomes a comedy if you give the story in a nuthsell.
    But I know what you mean, yes there was the obligatory old world meets new world antics which allowed Johnny Depp to do his "confused" act, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been - and he sure knows how to deliver bombastic dialogue.
    The old housekeeper made me laugh out loud, Angelique was OTT wicked and Tim Burton's trademark gothic-kitsch is always pleasant to watch.
    I had expected an Addams Family clone, but the passion and the hatred seemed to be enshrined in daytime soap "reality".
    The 1970s setting didn't impact the story in a positive or negative way, the Dr. Hoffman character was the best part of it and at least there was no performance by The Village People.

It also illustrated why a soap is a soap, and not a movie. The Victoria Winters character felt like an afterthought, eventhough her arrival at Collinsport suggested otherwise.
    There simply wasn't enough time to make the best of every character, but in the "fun homage" genre I thought it was a decent movie. I've seen worse, much worse.

2. darkshadows38

darkshadows38 Soap Chat Well-Known Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Medals:
    fair enough, for me it's my 2nd favorite show of all time, Lost in Space the 1st. i love Dallas dom't get me wrong but i wasn't a fan of that till i was 26 i'm 40 now. i've loved Lost in Space i want to say since to hazard a guess (1988) when USA used to air it during the week at 10:00 am. i'd watch it when i wasn't at school good times, good times. and i've loved DS since i'd say (1991) when the remake was on and i still think that was good. anyways, as for the film DS you would not believe the hatred for that film, i did buy it on blu-ray and i have seen the other films i think i posted somewhere i forget where i'd said that House of Dark shadows was so badly edited that it's a wonder/miracle it was even a hit.

but that was not all Dan Curtis's fault since he was forced to do those edits and the editing for the 2nd film is even worse cause he again cut out like 45 miutes? i don't remember how much for the 1st film he cut i want to say 8 or 9 minutes i forget, but they wanted it to be 90 minutes. than for the 2nd one they wanted it 90 minutes when it was 130 minutes.

that's yeah 40 minutes that got cut and what was left was a complete mess on a film that makes no sense and it's a wonder why there weren't anymore DS films ya know? not a surprise either to be honest. anyways for the Burton film he had the look and everything and it was well cast though i do think that Depp really over did it on this one but he was decent in it.

but the script was a mess it could not make up it's mind what it wanted to be a comedy or a horror film. it starts out strong than as what it should be a kind of horror film that they used to make i want to say in the 40's of sorts. than it turns into a comedy and really ruins the film than it's back to it being horror of sorts at the end. now i may have liked it more than i thought i would and i may have bought it, but when i went in i really had low expectations once i knew it was a comedy. makes me think of the Buffy film and people hate it expecting

the show and it's not. they don't get that one is actually a comedy and it was advertised as such, take a look of the trailer for that one it's a comedy that is part horror too. Paul Rubens's is doing comedy clearly on how he played it. that one also had studio's stamp on it too they say. and the book which i haven't read it suppose to be way darker.anyways having said that but when you make a film like DS and you intend to pass the fans off that really angers me because DS is a much loved show for a reason. yeah it can be a bit cheesy and there is a lot of bad acting in it. what's really funny is that the acting was better in the black and white years than the color because after they went horror they had Lela Swift give ratings on how you can overplay it when you were scared for example and that i think hurt the performance and Nancy Barrett who is good on the show but is awful when she's suppose to act scared.

i want a DS film from a guy like Burton who claims to love the show and can who can give the right look and cast for the show and make it a serious film based off a hit show. the brady bunch films are actually better than the tv show so it's been done before. why not DS? sorry for the rambling i just love the show so much ya know?

3. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,253
    Medals:
    The Aristocats

1970 animated Disney musical. A sort of follow-up to The Jungle Book with Phil Harris and his jazz stylings taking centre stage with some help from Scatman Crothers.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Snarky's Ghost

Snarky's Ghost Soap Chat Oracle

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Haunting that cozy cellar under Falcon Crest
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    Same with the series.

5. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,694
    Medals:
    I assume there weren't enough episodes to give her some character development?

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    Blithe Spirit

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    REVERSAL OF FORTUNE
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,158
    Medals:
    Tomorrow Never Dies.

Swami

9. Swami

Swami Soap Chat Supreme

Message Count:
    Civil Servant
    Ratings:
    +9,158
    Medals:
    Rambo.

Swami

10. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,694
    Medals:
    [​IMG]
    It's a lightweight parody, and the comedy becomes more hysterical towards the end of the movie. It's not great, it's exactly what you expect it to be, but Aniston & Sandler are too nice to hate it.
    I watched it because I was in the mood for a murder mystery, and I couldn't find anything on YouTube. Oh well.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,725
    Medals:

Very enjoyable indeed.​

• Like Like x 2
  12. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,694
    Medals:
    It didn't make you cry a little?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Mel O'Drama

Mel O'Drama Super Moderator Staff Member

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,725
    Medals:
    A couple of moments in the film really did make my eyes a little watery. And I hadn't put anything in my mouth.

That's a really clever advert. But what a pig he is. :D The old joke about "sucking on a Fisherman's Friend" is actually recycled in the film itself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,322
    Medals:
    Equus (1977)

Last week I saw the English Touring Theatre version of the play that is currently playing in London's West End and was totally blown away by how good it was. This prompted me to watch the film again for the first time in over 20 years. The film is still a piece of quality. It sticks very closely to the play and most of the dialogue is identical but it lacked much of the intensity and power that the play had. Still well worth watching and both Richard Burton and Peter Firth are very good in it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  15. Willie Oleson

Message Count:
    marriage counselor
    Ratings:
    +21,694
    Medals:
    upload_2019-7-26_23-58-35.png

One word: insufferable.

16. Justine

Justine Soap Chat Fan

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +713
  17. Alexis

Alexis Soap Chat Warrior

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +9,027
    Medals:
    Back Street (1961)
    Tonight my friend and I re-watched this Susan Hayward weepy that also stars John Gavin. I guess it was my birthday treat. We were both in the mood for something old and tragic. It didn't disappoint.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snarky's Ghost

Message Count:
    INFJ
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    Medals:
    ADAM'S RIB (1949).

Curiously, I had never seen anything more than clips from this movie. It's your standard Tracy-Hepburn battle-of-the-sexes scenario with the pair as married lawyers, and it even features Digger Barnes #1 singing the song "Farewell, Amanda" (by Cole Porter) who gets homophobic jokes tossed in his direction.

Tracy, by the way, is in the right at every point. Hepburn is an entitled cow. How little things have changed. Some see this film as a feministic document, while others feel Kate momentarily seeing the error of her viewpoint as an invalidating tip-of-the-hat to the patriarchy.

Judy Holliday plays the wife betrayed, although I thought for a moment she was Dorothy Comingore.

Cukor directs, and Ruth Gordon and Garson Kanin script, so it's a good watch. I remember being disappointed by the 1973 TV series with Gwyneth Paltrow's mother and Garrett Boydston.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  19. Angela Channing

Angela Channing World Cup of Soaps Moderator

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +11,322
    Medals:
    Yesterday I watched The Music Lovers (1970), Ken Russell's film of part of Tchaikovsky's life. Wow, just wow! What a great film. I can't find the words that are adequate enough to say how much I loved it.

Richard Chamberlain played Tchaikovsky and I had no idea he was such a good actor. There's a scene near the beginning of the film when he plays Tchaikovsky's piano concerto No. 1, and the physicality and expression that Richard Chamberlain put into how he played the piece was incredible and I was gripped on the film from that moment.

[​IMG]
    It motivated to watch Ken Russell's documentary on Elgar (1962) today and that was very different, more serious and factual, but in its own way another brilliant piece of storytelling.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Seaviewer

Seaviewer Soap Chat Dream Maker

Message Count:
    Ratings:
    +3,253
    Medals:
    I haven't seen this in years but, from memory, Tracy's character never disputes the general principle of the equality of the sexes, he just wants to celebrate what he calls "that little difference." Hepburn champions the view that there is no difference apart from the obvious, a view that was the orthodoxy for a while.